Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

MrsBlue and I had a lovely dinner last night in honor of her birthday. We went to her favorite place, a local restaurant set on a farm where all the food is grown and raised on the grounds, and you don't actually order off the menu, but are provided with a multi-course meal based on the preferences you express to your server. The food was exceptionally fresh and interesting, and made for a nice special occasion. Weirdest moment: The server sets down a couple of reddish chips and says it is "face bacon." MrsBlue asks what that is and gets the obvious response: It's bacon made from the pig's face. I told her they should consider renaming it "TMI Bacon."

Occasional Links: Thanks Ant and Mike Martinez and Acleacius.
Play: Dinosaur Zookeeper.
znRevolutions.
Up Down Up.
Links: 10 Most Secure Locations on the Planet, Safest Places. Thanks Neatorama.
Stories: Grieving passenger's sagging pants lead to arrest. Thanks Roger.
What is left of Athens' 9billion Olympic 'glory'. Thanks Cutter.
Science: 4 things you didn't know about sunscreen.
Sight restored after 55-year wait.
Puyehue Volcano in Chile. Thanks TheFlyingPenguin.
Cone Of Shame Gallery. Thanks I Can Has Cheezburger.
Media: Ferris Bueller's Last Day Off. NSFW.
Hands For Feet Prank.
Richard Branson's Airplane Safety.

View
12 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

12. Re: sum to zero Jun 17, 2011, 20:38 Lorcin

ohh pigs cheeks are not uncommon over here and are a realy delicacy. Same time I'm trying to bring American BBQ style dishes into the UK - Pulled Pork is coming together quite well.

Strangely enough - my local pig farm is owned by Kelly Brook. I know that seems strange but she went to the same schools my kids go to and her mum lives about a mile away. At the same time it's kinda disturbing to think they'll get the education as her - it's also kinda funny to think I'M filling my belly with HER meat.

For those not in the know:

My local pig farmer - Mostley SFW

She was the girl you actually liked in Piranha as well

This comment was edited on Jun 17, 2011, 21:17.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

11. sum to zero Jun 17, 2011, 19:43 space captain

just go ahead and let all the little neros play their fiddles  
Go forth, and kill!

10. Re: Athen's Olympic Glory... Jun 17, 2011, 15:48 Cutter

Yeah, it's a pretty shocking article. And the fact that they claim it costs them a billion a year to maintain it just shows how screwed up, not to mention corrupt, their government is. No wonder the Greek people are virtually in open revolt these days. Frankly, they could use a revolution. Then again, so could the rest of us for that matter. Time to put the elites down yet again, methinks.

The Olympics are too expensive for any city/country to host anymore. Only the big corps make money - which is the antitheis of the spirit of the thing. It's a nightmare for the people who live in the city in which its on. It really seems to be more about stroking politicians ego and corporate welfare than anything else. And no, America certainly cannot afford it more than anyone else, Cres. I think most people in any major city and that country's taxpayers of any country its being held in can think of far, far better ways to spend 10-40 billion dollars than a few weeks of games. Toronto was bidding heavily for these upcoming games even though polls showed the vast majority of people for it here and across the country were against it given the costs and headaches involved.

Why don't they just recycle olympic sites and rotate the countries on a schedule? I'd rather see fixed locations being used that already have the stuff in place than see new cities continually waste money they can't afford on it all for some BS prestige.

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

9. Re: Athen's Olympic Glory... Jun 17, 2011, 15:43 kanniballl

It reminds me of that scene from an episode of 30 Rock

They go to 'The Chuckle Hut' and think the chuckle sounds good. Until it's revealed what the chuckle is:
The chuckle is the part of the pig between the tail and anus.

I don't know if that's real, but I'd have a hard time with that. I know just about every piece of the pig is eaten... just never really thought about "that" stuff.

On the other hand, face bacon... considering how good bacon tastes... so long as it was still from a pig I'd probably give it a try.

This comment was edited on Jun 17, 2011, 15:50.

"Space. It seems to go on and on forever. But then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you."
-Fry, Futurama

8. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 17, 2011, 13:42 Jonny

Is there no history of eating offal in the US? I've seen a few americans on cookery shows over here and they've all seemed horrified by the thought of it. It's lost popularity over the last century, especially in the UK, but eating offal has been a european staple for centuries. Mainly because either landowners or the army pinched all the proper cuts of meat.

Also, that greek news item might be from 2008, but their government has learned nothing from such collosal waste since. Look at the trouble Greece is in now, massive debt that they've been bailed out on once threatening to default on again, and they won't or can't raise taxes, cut spending or raise the retirement age. Makes me wonder when the tipping point is where we say fuck it, let them collapse and suffer the economic aftermath.

7. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 17, 2011, 12:12 xXBatmanXx

Blue wrote on Jun 17, 2011, 11:59:
nin wrote on Jun 17, 2011, 11:23:
It was indeed (I just added an odd anecdote)

Oh god. I would have entertained the idea until that quote...

Did you all skip that part?
though if it was pecker bacon or something similar I certainly wouldn't have tried it.

hahahahahah Quote of the day.

I am a huge fan of the cheek meat. Pig roasts are great, and a lot of people will shy away from it - but it is damn damn good!

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad

6. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 17, 2011, 11:59  Blue 

nin wrote on Jun 17, 2011, 11:23:

Nah, I went for it. I had already given a couple of strong "no" answers in the assessment of my menu choices, saying I didn't want seafood and organ meat dishes, so I'd have felt a little too picky to pass on bacon, though if it was pecker bacon or something similar I certainly wouldn't have tried it.

Stephen "Blue" Heaslip
Blue's News Publisher, Editor-in-Chief, El Presidente for Life

5. Athen's Olympic Glory... Jun 17, 2011, 11:35 Creston

That's a really, really sad and disheartening story. I love the Olympics, but the costs of hosting are spiralling out of control, and the dipshits who fight to get the Olympics in their city never see the actual cost attached to it.

Without trying to hoist the USA! USA! flag, I think the US is really the last country capable of hosting an Olympic event without going into massive debt. (Solely because of the average American's love for sports.)

I think the Olympics will come to an end sooner rather than later. If London goes the same way as Athens, public opposition against hosting will become massive.

Creston

4. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 17, 2011, 11:23 nin

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

3. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 17, 2011, 11:21  Blue 

nin wrote on Jun 17, 2011, 11:17:
Sounds like a good time!

It was indeed (I just added an odd anecdote).

Stephen "Blue" Heaslip
Blue's News Publisher, Editor-in-Chief, El Presidente for Life

2. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 17, 2011, 11:21 Mr. Tact

Huh, interesting idea. It would be interesting to go just to see what they bring based on what you tell the server..  
Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

1. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 17, 2011, 11:17 nin

Sounds like a good time!

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

12 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo