Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Batman: Arkham City & GFWL

The box art for Batman: Arkham City seems to indicate the game will use Games for Windows LIVE, like its predecessor, Batman: Arkham Asylum. The image of the box has the GFWL plastered right across the top. Thanks Rock, Paper, Shotgun.

View
60 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

60. Re: Batman: Arkham City & GFWL Jun 18, 2011, 03:41 xXBatmanXx

StingingVelvet wrote on Jun 16, 2011, 23:34:
xXBatmanXx wrote on Jun 16, 2011, 22:43:
Playing on the console like the previous game - no biggie here.

The original had an amazingly well done PC version.

I don't doubt that at all - I just enjoy playing this type of game on my monster tv while sitting on the most comfortable couch in the house with the pups sitting near or on me.

I find myself getting games on console if they are on both systems and involve a gamepad (or work better with game pad) and will take copious amounts of time to complete, as the couch is far more comfy than any desk. (working at a desk for years destroyed my ability to sit at a computer for as long as I used to)

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

59. Re: Batman: Arkham City & GFWL Jun 17, 2011, 16:48 StingingVelvet

Theo wrote on Jun 17, 2011, 09:12:
TV is 55; to be honest i really dont think the quality of the game is worse on PC or 360, its largely the same (certainly was that way with the last one); therefore ill end up getting it on the xbox.

If it was a multi platform shooter (like rage) id be getting it on the PC obviously. I just think its one of those games that i prefer on a console.

besides i am allowed to smoke in the TV room, not the computer room (its in the bed room).

It's your setup man, whatever works for you. I just get confused by PC gamers sometimes saying one game or another "plays better on a console" since the PC can completely emulate the console experience with controllers and such. It sounds like for you it's more about wanting to sit on the couch whenever possible though, am I right?

For me personally I actually prefer gaming at my PC. For one thing I have a damn comfy chair that is just as good as my couch. For another thing I am tucked away from the wife and other distractions so that I can get more immersed in games.

What works for me obviously is not the same for everyone.

58. Re: Batman: Arkham City & GFWL Jun 17, 2011, 16:45 StingingVelvet

Verno wrote on Jun 17, 2011, 08:50:
StingingVelvet wrote on Jun 17, 2011, 01:46:
Use an offline profile.

Better yet download a crack. I don't like GFWL, it has zero beneficial purpose and typically just introduces issues. Batman was such a great game that it's not worth skipping though, you can easily solve the GFWL problem by removing it.

True, true. Still it's easy to just use an offline profile and set GFWL to no notifications. Takes only a few clicks and you're off and running with no DRM or annoyances.

Of course now they have that "zero day piracy protection" bullshit.

57. Re: Batman: Arkham City & GFWL Jun 17, 2011, 15:53 Overon

I bought an xbox 360 wired controller for my PC so I could play Batman Arkham Asylum. By far the best console port I have played.  

56. Re: Batman: Arkham City & GFWL Jun 17, 2011, 15:52 Overon

Jonny5 wrote on Jun 17, 2011, 08:32:
InBlack wrote on Jun 17, 2011, 08:24:
A friend of mine (used to be a pro Quake gamer) uses a wireless mouse when he messes around at home. At tournaments he always insisted on cord based mice though for one simple reason.

Wi-Fi doesnt really have that much input lag, like someone said its barely noticable even in pro gaming. Where it fails though is in prolonged camping instances where there is a slight "packetloss". The mouse goes into a sort of standby mode if its not moved around for some time and that certainly is noticable when the action picks up again. Also random wifi interference, signal loss, etc. all of these things are possible (although rare) and in tournament situations when they happen its usually at the worst possible moment in critical situations.

Tournament ya, Teh best gaming mice are wired, Jeryyk lives in his moms basement, He is No pro player, he is just eleetist prick that thinks he knows everything about gaming. And by the way, true gaming mice the HAPPEN to be wirless, do not have the Shut down (camp) mode in which you speak of. As far as a console in 2011 made for Big screens made for couches, A wireless controller is just fucking fine. And tools here think its hard to recharge?First of all if you are console gaming more then 6 hours at a time, you need to re-evaluate your life. Second, Recharge while you sleep, easy!
Ad hominem.

55. Re: Batman: Arkham City & GFWL Jun 17, 2011, 15:01 Ecthelion

Dev wrote on Jun 17, 2011, 13:59:
Ecthelion wrote on Jun 17, 2011, 11:04:
I do have a HTPC, but I don't have the option to put a better video card in it without upgrading its power supply, which defeats the purpose of having it be a nice, low-power unit that doesn't put out tons of heat in my entertainment cabinet. I'll just keep it for regular HTPC use I guess.
If its a modern low power computer, it probably only uses 75 watts out of its 250 watt psu. You can probably put in any video card that doesn't require an additional power connection. If its a smaller HTPC, it may need a low profile card.
I have a ATI 5450 that was supposed to be my old HTPC's card, but it didn't work because that mobo wasn't PCI-E 2.1 compliant. Honestly I don't know if it will give me any better performance than my i3-540 and onboard video. It's been a while since I've looked at benchmarks or comparison reviews, so I'm not sure how they compare. But that card would probably work on that power supply.

Verno, thanks for all the Harmony info. It sounds like the 700 will more than meet my needs. It supports 6 devices, so with a TV, sound system, PC, and Blu-ray player, that's more than enough. Your post isn't the first I've heard of the Harmony One's touchscreen being subpar, so I think I can do without it. I know my Costco has one of the Harmonys, but I forget which one.

This comment was edited on Jun 17, 2011, 15:08.

54. Re: Batman: Arkham City & GFWL Jun 17, 2011, 14:56 HorrorScope

GFWL, the only thing worse is that Japanese hack of Wizardry Online.

Luckily I've spent enough time with it on enough systems to now know, if it's not working or updating. Uninstall anything with the words Windows Live or MS Live in the name with Revo UnInstaller, because heaven for bid the O/S stock uninstaller can't handle such a daunting task. Then load latest clean from the GFWL website. Otherwise a total embarrassment. Starforce > GFWL, yep that bad.

53. Re: Batman: Arkham City & GFWL Jun 17, 2011, 13:59 Dev

I do have a HTPC, but I don't have the option to put a better video card in it without upgrading its power supply, which defeats the purpose of having it be a nice, low-power unit that doesn't put out tons of heat in my entertainment cabinet. I'll just keep it for regular HTPC use I guess.
If its a modern low power computer, it probably only uses 75 watts out of its 250 watt psu. You can probably put in any video card that doesn't require an additional power connection. If its a smaller HTPC, it may need a low profile card.

52. Re: Batman: Arkham City & GFWL Jun 17, 2011, 12:19 Verno

I already have the MCE USB receiver and MCE remote, but I'd like to just have one for everything. I haven't tinkered with turning the computer on or waking it. I have noticed something strange that may be a BIOS issue. If I don't turn my TV and sound system on first (HTPC is connected to the sound system via HDMI, and the sound system pass the video signal through to the TV via HDMI), the PC turns on and the fans spin up and everything, but the display never turns on. I have to press the power button again, twice (to turn it "off" and back on again) for the display to come up. I don't have this issue if I turn the TV and sound system on first.

You're all set then, you just need the Harmony and the USB receiver. Your display thing sounds like an HDCP handshake issue. With the Harmony you can control the order the devices power up to eliminate that from happening. My TV takes 20 seconds to fully wake up so I power everything else up first for example. With EventGhost you can even script timed delays and launch programs when you do specific actions.

My Blu-ray player, on the other hand, triggers the sound system and TV to power on whenever I turn it on. It even switches the sound system input to the Blu-ray player automatically, without me setting any of that up. The TV input never changes - the sound system handle that.

Yeah that's called HDMI-CEC, its a standard to allow devices to control each other. Different vendors call it different names but its all the same thing really. It was meant so that everyone didn't have to get universal remotes but HDMI-CEC is too limited to replace them unfortunately. You'll want to turn it off when you get the Harmony and let it do everything.

Playing: Dark Souls 2
Watching: Korengal, Legends, Intruders

51. Re: Batman: Arkham City & GFWL Jun 17, 2011, 11:40 Creston

Verno wrote on Jun 17, 2011, 11:22:
Creston wrote on Jun 17, 2011, 11:20:
Will that crack work with the Steam version?

Creston

I have yet to see an uncrackable Steam game so yes. If you mean "can I launch it directly through Steam?" then setup a different shortcut.

Okay, that's what I was wondering. Thanks man.

Creston

50. Re: Batman: Arkham City & GFWL Jun 17, 2011, 11:30 Ecthelion

Verno wrote on Jun 17, 2011, 11:14:
I'm also considering getting a Harmony? Which model do you have? It sounds like the One is still arguably the best model. One thing I'd like to be able to do is power on my HTPC with it... is that consistently feasible?

I've used both the 700 and the One, its hard to say which is better. The One is pretty damned expensive unless you get it on sale and the only real benefit is the cradle. The touchscreen actually sucks imho, physical buttons for activities work way better in practice. The 700 needs a charging cable nearby your setup and I generally charge it once every few weeks. I think the One can control up to 6 devices too whereas the 700 controls 5 IIRC.

In terms of scripting things with the HTPC like powering on, thats all easy. Get a little $5 MCE USB receiver and you can send MCE keyboard/mouse functions straight to the Harmony. Download a copy of EventGhost and you can tweak to your hearts content. I setup an activity on the remote for my girlfriend that does the following - wakes up my file server, turns on the receiver, TV, HTPC and starts playing her workout video in fullscreen.
I already have the MCE USB receiver and MCE remote, but I'd like to just have one for everything. I haven't tinkered with turning the computer on or waking it. I have noticed something strange that may be a BIOS issue. If I don't turn my TV and sound system on first (HTPC is connected to the sound system via HDMI, and the sound system pass the video signal through to the TV via HDMI), the PC turns on and the fans spin up and everything, but the display never turns on. I have to press the power button again, twice (to turn it "off" and back on again) for the display to come up. I don't have this issue if I turn the TV and sound system on first.

My Blu-ray player, on the other hand, triggers the sound system and TV to power on whenever I turn it on. It even switches the sound system input to the Blu-ray player automatically, without me setting any of that up. The TV input never changes - the sound system handle that.

I never noticed this kind of behavior before upgrading to HDMI. Weird.

49. Re: Batman: Arkham City & GFWL Jun 17, 2011, 11:22 Verno

Creston wrote on Jun 17, 2011, 11:20:

Creston

I have yet to see an uncrackable Steam game so yes. If you mean "can I launch it directly through Steam?" then setup a different shortcut.

48. Re: Batman: Arkham City & GFWL Jun 17, 2011, 11:20 Creston

Verno wrote on Jun 17, 2011, 08:50:
StingingVelvet wrote on Jun 17, 2011, 01:46:
Use an offline profile.

Better yet download a crack. I don't like GFWL, it has zero beneficial purpose and typically just introduces issues. Batman was such a great game that it's not worth skipping though, you can easily solve the GFWL problem by removing it.

Creston

47. Re: Batman: Arkham City & GFWL Jun 17, 2011, 11:14 Verno

Yeah, I ran into the same issue. I basically rebuilt my HTPC starting with a Fractal Design Define R3 case for the silent aspect, bought a quality Seasonic PSU that was low rated and only turns its fan on during significant load and etc. It's not a 10W nettop box by any means but the difference in my power bill was about $3 a month.

I'm also considering getting a Harmony? Which model do you have? It sounds like the One is still arguably the best model. One thing I'd like to be able to do is power on my HTPC with it... is that consistently feasible?

I've used both the 700 and the One, its hard to say which is better. The One is pretty damned expensive unless you get it on sale and the only real benefit is the cradle. The touchscreen actually sucks imho, physical buttons for activities work way better in practice. The 700 needs a charging cable nearby your setup and I generally charge it once every few weeks. I think the One can control up to 6 devices too whereas the 700 controls 5 IIRC.

In terms of scripting things with the HTPC like powering on, thats all easy. Get a little $5 MCE USB receiver and you can send MCE keyboard/mouse functions straight to the Harmony. Download a copy of EventGhost and you can tweak to your hearts content. I setup an activity on the remote for my girlfriend that does the following - wakes up my file server, turns on the receiver, TV, HTPC and starts playing her workout video in fullscreen.

46. Re: Batman: Arkham City & GFWL Jun 17, 2011, 11:04 Ecthelion

Verno wrote on Jun 17, 2011, 10:48:
Ecthelion wrote on Jun 17, 2011, 10:34:
Now you've got me interested... how do you handle the mouse and keyboard? Do you run USB extension cables and an extra kb&m by the TV?

Seems like using a home theater PC might be easier... I actually have one that I use for video, but it's not powerful enough for serious gaming.

I have a pretty complex setup, I use XBMC with Advanced Launcher and a wireless 360 controller. I control everything else using my Logitech Harmony. It probably wouldn't be something you want to replicate, it's pretty customized to my needs.

45. Re: Batman: Arkham City & GFWL Jun 17, 2011, 10:48 Verno

Ecthelion wrote on Jun 17, 2011, 10:34:
Now you've got me interested... how do you handle the mouse and keyboard? Do you run USB extension cables and an extra kb&m by the TV?

Seems like using a home theater PC might be easier... I actually have one that I use for video, but it's not powerful enough for serious gaming.

I have a pretty complex setup, I use XBMC with Advanced Launcher and a wireless 360 controller. I control everything else using my Logitech Harmony. It probably wouldn't be something you want to replicate, it's pretty customized to my needs.

You could build a little HTPC type box and just stick a better video card in it for something similar, it would be a lot easier. The only reason I didn't do that is because I wanted the ability to play games both at the couch and at my desk without buying another gaming box.

This comment was edited on Jun 17, 2011, 10:54.

44. Re: Batman: Arkham City & GFWL Jun 17, 2011, 10:34 Ecthelion

Verno wrote on Jun 17, 2011, 09:38:
out of interest - how long a hdmi can ya use? ;-)

I did a run about 25 feet long through a wall and up a floor. People have done much longer runs of course but that's usually done with HDMI over Ethernet.

I only have a 32" TV, so it may not even be worth playing games on it. Dunno why I didn't spring for a bigger TV but on the plus side, upscaled DVDs aren't as noticeably blocky as they probably would be on a bigger screen.

GFWL has never caused me any real problems (I have had issues restoring savegames, but I eventually figured it out), so I am not going to let that stop me from buying the sequel to one of my favorite games of the past few years.
This comment was edited on Jun 17, 2011, 10:41.

43. Re: Batman: Arkham City & GFWL Jun 17, 2011, 10:31 Will W

I use a 50' HDMI Cable from Nippon Labs (NewEgg link) to run from my computer room upstairs, outside and down to the basement, and then back up to my living room. I've never had an issue with it...except I would prefer if it was 10' longer. It's a quality cable with thick conductors.  

42. Re: Batman: Arkham City & GFWL Jun 17, 2011, 09:38 Verno

I did a run about 25 feet long through a wall and up a floor. People have done much longer runs of course but that's usually done with HDMI over Ethernet.

41. Re: Batman: Arkham City & GFWL Jun 17, 2011, 09:29 Theo

I actually ended up buying the last game 2 times once on steam ; once on the 360; dont ask me why the 360 version was a cheap bargin bin thing; played it on both platforms. Your right about the visuals of course; but i am one of those guys that doesnt stress 2 much about the prettys as long as the game play is good.

(not to say i dont appreicate nice prettys, its just not important as long as the game does not look like shit).

Everyone on Bluesnews is synical, get over it.
edit: i cant spell, this is my disclaimer.

60 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo