Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

Battlefield 3 Physical Warfare Pack to Eventually be Free for All

In a further follow-up to concerns expressed over potential Battlefield 3 balance issues resulting from preorder bonuses, the Battlefield Blog now offers reassurances that the Physical Warfare Pack preorder bonus for the military shooter sequel will eventually be a free release for all players (thanks Brady). Here are excerpts on how both pieces of preorder DLC will be handled after the game's release:

I would like to start by clarifying that the Physical Warfare Pack is a time-based exclusive. If you do not pre-order Battlefield 3 at a retailer carrying the Physical Warfare Pack, don’t worry. We will unlock the contents of the Physical Warfare Pack for free to all Battlefield 3 players later this year.
[…]
If you pre-order Battlefield 3, you will be able to play Back to Karkand at no extra charge as soon as it is released, but it is not day one DLC and it is not on the base game disc. We think it’s a sweet deal, and it’s available to everyone everywhere. If you do not pre-order Battlefield 3, you can still buy Back to Karkand separately and play it as soon as it is released, the very same date as anyone who pre-ordered. In other words, there is no segmentation of the community when we launch the base game.

View
38 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

38. Re: Battlefield 3 Physical Warfare Pack Will Eventually be Free for All Jun 17, 2011, 11:12 Elessar

Blues hivemind. If "we" like it, stfu and buy it or gtfo you baby. If "we" don't like it, you're an imbecile for buying it.

Don't get me wrong, I contribute to this, I just find it amusing.

"You don't get what you deserve, you get what you get."
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

37. Re: Battlefield 3 Physical Warfare Pack Will Eventually be Free for All Jun 17, 2011, 10:54 wrlwnd

As usual, I will wait for the game and the corresponding reviews and other feedback to come out before I decide whether or not to make a purchase.

Unlike the children on here who can't stand a bit of delayed gratification and have to have their lollipop NOW. Then complain when it doesn't taste good.

So many babies. But hey, the suits WUV you. Koochie-koo!

36. Re: Battlefield 3 Physical Warfare Pack Will Eventually be Free for All Jun 17, 2011, 10:28 Grendle

I agree that it is an asshat move to actually have maps installed on the PC, but locked out until you get there free DLC.

But as long as people continue to eat what they feed them, you will continue to have that problem. I think that we may be seeing a change in peoples consumption habits. Loss in revenue across the board. movies, music, and games.

I myself stopped watching TV. Couldn't stand the lowest common denominator crap that was on. I refuse to suckle at the glass tit any longer. It's all the same..... Most of the games coming out are re introducing things that have been around for a decade. Large out door environments, leaning, prone, opening a door with a mouse wheel.

Some of the games that I would buy if they just updated the graphics, but left the mechanics alone.

Rainbow 6 Ravenshield. The original.
Age of empires 2.
Homeworld 1 and 2.

I own them, and would still play them, except that they don't work right on the newer machines.

35. Re: Battlefield 3 Physical Warfare Pack Will Eventually be Free for All Jun 17, 2011, 09:53 Dades

Isn't that what he said? And you contradicted yourself and agreed with him at the end.

I can't believe I have to spell it out but obviously it is NOT OK to continually remove content and claim sorry its just business. I said that is ok from their perspective and they will never see any different until people get so mad that they don't buy the game at all. It might be just business to EA but its not just business to the customer so telling them that repeatedly is stupid. Am I supposed to swallow every shitty decision they make because its just business? We're not allowed to get mad and post on forums because its just business? At what point does it stop being OK and we're allowed to complain?

34. Re: Battlefield 3 Physical Warfare Pack Will Eventually be Free for All Jun 17, 2011, 09:18 Grendle

Dades wrote on Jun 17, 2011, 07:09:
again, I think you guys are missing the fact that games are a BUSINESS.

What a dumb excuse, you just lost IQ typing it. At what point does it stop being ok to remove content from games to make money? I'll tell you when it does, when the customer stops buying your games. That's how companies operate these days. Saying everything is fair game because its a business is horseshit. It has nothing to do with trying to survive, its about profit.

It's a business isn't some catch all to escape logical criticism of boneheaded decisions.

Isn't that what he said? And you contradicted yourself and agreed with him at the end.

33. Re: Battlefield 3 Physical Warfare Pack Will Eventually be Free for All Jun 17, 2011, 07:09 Dades

again, I think you guys are missing the fact that games are a BUSINESS.

What a dumb excuse, you just lost IQ typing it. At what point does it stop being ok to remove content from games to make money? I'll tell you when it does, when the customer stops buying your games. That's how companies operate these days. Saying everything is fair game because its a business is horseshit. It has nothing to do with trying to survive, its about profit.

It's a business isn't some catch all to escape logical criticism of boneheaded decisions.

32. Re: Battlefield 3 Physical Warfare Pack Will Eventually be Free for All Jun 17, 2011, 00:24 Hump

I think you are missing the fact that many people could care less what the weapons are, its the fact the they are removing content from the game in order to get you to preorder. If people just sit back and say nothing, what would stop them from removing more content next time? "Wow, we got 10 free guns this time, I love you EA!"

again, I think you guys are missing the fact that games are a BUSINESS. You state its "removing content from the game".....show me where these guns were somehow bullet pointed in the game description. How do you know its not content made specifically for the pre order? You're making assumptions that you beleive are fact but in reality you really dont know now, do you? Matter of fact, the fucking guns could simply be re-skinned versions of existing
weapons and their stats.

"They said the weapons would not give a significant advantage, they didn't say it wouldn't give people an advantage at all. "

you're being pedantic. you are extracting what you think is fact from what EA didn't say?

you guys are starting to sound like TribalWar.com

----------------------------------------------------------------------
"Both the “left” and the “right” pretend they have the answer, but they are mere flippers on the same thalidomide baby, and the truth is that neither side has a clue."

- Jim Goad

31. Re: Battlefield 3 Physical Warfare Pack Will Eventually be Free for All Jun 16, 2011, 21:57 Dades

AnointedSword wrote on Jun 16, 2011, 21:28:
awwwww all the cry babies got their ways.... Oo

No we didn't, you're still here.

30. Re: Battlefield 3 Physical Warfare Pack Will Eventually be Free for All Jun 16, 2011, 21:54 Atoth

In other words, there is no segmentation of the community when we launch the base game.

Or in other words, most game servers won't run Karkand in their map rotations as it will kill their population everytime the map cycles to it... I am sure there will be plenty of 24/7 Karkand Only servers available at launch.

29. Re: Battlefield 3 Physical Warfare Pack Will Eventually be Free for All Jun 16, 2011, 21:54 Zardoz5

Hump wrote on Jun 16, 2011, 19:08:
it was embarrassing to watch this thing play out.
I think you are missing the fact that many people could care less what the weapons are, its the fact the they are removing content from the game in order to get you to preorder. If people just sit back and say nothing, what would stop them from removing more content next time? "Wow, we got 10 free guns this time, I love you EA!"

What about the Bad Company 2 "Map Packs" marketing BS. Not sure if you played it, but if so did you actually believe you were getting "free" maps? Packs 1 - 6 were variants of maps you already paid for and for most of the "map" packs you didn't have to download anything. EA just put the new "maps" into rotation on the server side. These "maps" were sitting on your HD, locked away until DICE and EA thought it would be a good time for some free marketing to use against MW2's paid maps. Map Pack 7 was the only one that actually contained any new content.

Game companies keep trying to give us less and less for our $, so by sitting back and saying its OK for them to strip or lock content in games and give it to us when its good for THEM will only encourage them to do it even more. I don't enjoy get all the game content I paid for at launch 6 months down the road, so I'm waiting to see if they intend on pulling the "Map Pack" trash again with BF3.

28. No subject Jun 16, 2011, 21:28 AnointedSword

awwwww all the cry babies got their ways.... Oo  
If you were right, I would be agreeing with you.

27. Re: Battlefield 3 Physical Warfare Pack Will Eventually be Free for All Jun 16, 2011, 21:12 entr0py

I just hope they make the Back to Karkand map pack very inexpensive so most players end up getting it; $5 or less. I guess there needs to be something of value as a pre-order bonus.

Now that we know the details of the Physical Warfare pack it seems completely inconsequential. I doubt I'll even unlock all of the weapons and gadgets within 2 months, so those 3 in the pack won't be missed in that time.

Also, good to see absolutely none of it appears to be Origin exclusive so far.

26. Re: Battlefield 3 Physical Warfare Pack Will Eventually be Free for All Jun 16, 2011, 20:16 DangerDog

Hump wrote on Jun 16, 2011, 19:08:
whats laughable is that NO ONE could state conclusively that the weapons in question would be any better or worse. You MIGHT be able to judge if two very high level players went head to head but most players have such different levels of skill and styles of play that 99.9% wouldn't be able to claim that it gave anyone an edge. Its all in peoples minds.

I don't care if they're the worst weapons in the game, the idea of making stuff "exclusive" and only obtainable by pre-ordering from specific retailers is what gets under my skin.

You might have missed this on Blue's News but it's pretty funny.

http://i.imgur.com/1hy5e.jpg

25. Re: Battlefield 3 Physical Warfare Pack Will Eventually be Free for All Jun 16, 2011, 19:50 JaguarUSF

vrok wrote on Jun 16, 2011, 18:07:
Compared to vanilla, SF was like a drop in the ocean.
Exactly: nobody played it, so the community was not fragmented. No problem!

24. Re: Battlefield 3 Physical Warfare Pack Will Eventually be Free for All Jun 16, 2011, 19:46 Dev

Dades wrote on Jun 16, 2011, 19:35:
They said the weapons would not give a significant advantage, they didn't say it wouldn't give people an advantage at all.
Then they contradict themselves and in the exclusive weapon stuff descriptions call it quote "ESSENTIAL" to have those.
They want to be all things to all people. Calm the worriers and excite the pre-order people.

23. Re: Battlefield 3 Physical Warfare Pack Will Eventually be Free for All Jun 16, 2011, 19:35 Dades

whats laughable is that NO ONE could state conclusively that the weapons in question would be any better or worse.

What's laughable is that Dice and EA didn't make them statistically the same and just offer visually modified variants. There is a statistic difference, its clear even in the language from Dice. They said the weapons would not give a significant advantage, they didn't say it wouldn't give people an advantage at all.

22. Re: Battlefield 3 Physical Warfare Pack Will Eventually be Free for All Jun 16, 2011, 19:08 Hump

whats laughable is that NO ONE could state conclusively that the weapons in question would be any better or worse. You MIGHT be able to judge if two very high level players went head to head but most players have such different levels of skill and styles of play that 99.9% wouldn't be able to claim that it gave anyone an edge. Its all in peoples minds.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
"Both the “left” and the “right” pretend they have the answer, but they are mere flippers on the same thalidomide baby, and the truth is that neither side has a clue."

- Jim Goad

21. Re: Battlefield 3 Physical Warfare Pack Will Eventually be Free for All Jun 16, 2011, 18:57 Wildone

In this case yes People pre-order shit all the time and get nothing, this you will unlock something cool. I plan to do that.  

20. Re: Battlefield 3 Physical Warfare Pack Will Eventually be Free for All Jun 16, 2011, 18:49 Dades

Wildone wrote on Jun 16, 2011, 18:34:
WTF are you people complaining about..YOUR GOING TO BUY IT ANYWAY. So if you order early you get to play with some weapons before everyone else. COOL. If not then its cool too they are not uber weapons, chill the fuck out. Play it or dont play it.

Ok guys, no more discussion on the website. If you don't like something then don't buy it and if you like it then buy it. That is the wisdom from our Divine Emperor Wildone.

19. Re: Battlefield 3 Physical Warfare Pack Will Eventually be Free for All Jun 16, 2011, 18:35 Zandog

If you do not pre-order Battlefield 3, you can still buy Back to Karkand separately and play it as soon as it is released.

there is no segmentation of the community when we launch the base game.

We need to pre-order a Physical Warfare Pack in order to have all the weapons. Then you want to sell Karkand separate from the beginning of launch and say theirs no segmentation? How it that not an oxymoron?

38 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo