Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

BioWare Hacked

The BioWare Social Network has word that a vintage server for the Neverwinter Nights forums is the latest gaming server to suffer a breach. Some personal information may have been compromised, and they have informed those whose accounts were impacted and have taken measures to secure things going forward. This EA Support post offers a FAQ on the topic and here's word on exactly what data were exposed:

Q: What exactly was breached?
A:
Account names, email addresses, passwords, country and birth dates may have been exposed. No credit card data was exposed and we have never collected Social Security numbers. If you linked your legacy Bioware account with an EA Account, then additional information that you associated with your EA Account (if any) may have been accessible as well. Such information could include your name, mailing address, billing address, language, game entitlements and games played, and other game-specific account information depending on your use of your EA Account.

Q: Was my account breached?
A:
If you did not receive an email from us, or if your password still works for your EA Account, your username and password were not compromised and your account was otherwise unaffected.

Q: How many accounts were affected?
A:
Approximately 18,000 accounts—a very small percentage of total users of the Neverwinter Nights forums.

View
34 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

34. Re: BioWare Hacked Jun 17, 2011, 02:54 mag

Dev wrote on Jun 16, 2011, 17:30:
To anyone who kept an eye on it, that dream ended before he even got to office with all the announcements of appointing piles of RIAA/MPAA reps and lawyers to DoJ and other positions. Virtually everything he and his administration has done with regards to information and the internet has followed in a similar line, control and restriction.

Yeah. I'd kept abreast, and the fear started pretty early.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

33. Re: BioWare Hacked Jun 16, 2011, 22:20 Cutter

Mashiki Amiketo wrote on Jun 16, 2011, 20:39:
mag wrote on Jun 16, 2011, 17:09:
Never mind. Nice troll.
You mean obama sure he is. Sorry to say but your journalist failed to vet, the media failed to vet, you turned a blind eye to who and what he was. You ignored what he did when he was in Illinois. You got wrapped up in 'race' instead of substance.

You voted in what you deserved, because no one questioned anything for the fear of 'racism'.

So what was the excuse for letting Dubya run amok? Fear of offending stupid people?

"Bye weeks? Bronko Nagurski didn't get no bye weeks, and now he's dead… Well, maybe they're a good thing." - Moe

32. Re: BioWare Hacked Jun 16, 2011, 21:20 Sepharo

Mashiki Amiketo wrote on Jun 16, 2011, 20:39:
Never mind. Nice troll.
You mean obama sure he is. Sorry to say but your journalist failed to vet, the media failed to vet, you turned a blind eye to who and what he was. You ignored what he did when he was in Illinois. You got wrapped up in 'race' instead of substance.

You voted in what you deserved, because no one questioned anything for the fear of 'racism'.

Yeah "fear of racism" is what made democrats vote democrat instead of republican. If we all just got over this racism we could've voted for crazy base world and dontchaknow.

But go ahead and enlighten us instead of just being so vague.
Who and what was he really? What did he do in Illinois?

31. Re: BioWare Hacked Jun 16, 2011, 20:39 Mashiki Amiketo

Never mind. Nice troll.

--
"For every human problem,
there is a neat, simple solution;
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

30. Re: BioWare Hacked Jun 16, 2011, 18:41 Tony!!!

Throw these low life Hackers in jail for a few years.  
-Tony!!!;)
my 360 user name is Robo Pop

29. Re: BioWare Hacked Jun 16, 2011, 17:30 Dev

mag wrote on Jun 16, 2011, 17:22:
All people with power seek more power, and though I hoped that Obama's admin would be at least marginally better than the competition in things like this, they've said things that make me believe that they're dumb enough to do just about anything to make an Internet powergrab.
To anyone who kept an eye on it, that dream ended before he even got to office with all the announcements of appointing piles of RIAA/MPAA reps and lawyers to DoJ and other positions. Virtually everything he and his administration has done with regards to information and the internet has followed in a similar line, control and restriction.

28. Re: BioWare Hacked Jun 16, 2011, 17:22 mag

Dev wrote on Jun 16, 2011, 17:09:
Wildone wrote on Jun 16, 2011, 11:45:
Im wondering if this is some kind of false flag op. A great excuse to initiate internet 2.0 locked down and approved by the government. To keep us all 'SAFE' from hacker terrorism..its only a matter of time
Its mostly game forums (aside from sony). Not exactly good targets to get people noticing internet hacking. There were much more serious incidents years ago with millions of credit cards getting stolen from big corporations. If it were another country starting a cyberwar, or a false flag, shouldn't it be much bigger targets? I think either one is highly unlikely anyway. They can probably push through internet control crap without anything like that.
This all assumes our gov would do something like that in the first place. I'd like to believe they wouldn't.
mag wrote on Jun 16, 2011, 15:12:
I'm a pretty liberal dude, and I voted for Obama and all, but man. They totally are that dumb.
Yeah I know. Every single thing they do shows inexperience and incompetence. When they visited PM of UK, obama gave him gift of a couple dozen region ONE dvds like ET that he couldn't play in his dvd player, as if they are so uncultured they can't even get dvds over there. The gift from the PM? A pen holder made from wood of the last british sailing ship to fight slavery. A meaningful gift vs an insulting incompetent one.

Ha--Yeah, that's true. They have done some boneheaded things like that. Every administration makes some awful social faux pas when visiting/entertaining foreign leaders, though--I think we just hear about them more often, now.

But no--I was mostly referring to the willing and eager destruction of the freedom of the Internet. All people with power seek more power, and though I hoped that Obama's admin would be at least marginally better than the competition in things like this, they've said things that make me believe that they're dumb enough to do just about anything to make an Internet powergrab.

Edit: Not that I think that that's what this is about. They already have been going for massive domain name seizures and whatnot, though, so they've shown that they're cool with trying to control the intertubes.

27. Re: BioWare Hacked Jun 16, 2011, 17:09 mag

Mashiki Amiketo wrote on Jun 16, 2011, 16:20:
I'm a pretty liberal dude, and I voted for Obama and all, but man. They totally are that dumb.
That people voted in a "community organizer" without looking at their actual record says a hell of a lot about the state of US politics.
Redacted

Never mind. Nice troll.

This comment was edited on Jun 16, 2011, 17:15.

26. Re: BioWare Hacked Jun 16, 2011, 17:09 Dev

Im wondering if this is some kind of false flag op. A great excuse to initiate internet 2.0 locked down and approved by the government. To keep us all 'SAFE' from hacker terrorism..its only a matter of time
Its mostly game forums (aside from sony). Not exactly good targets to get people noticing internet hacking. There were much more serious incidents years ago with millions of credit cards getting stolen from big corporations. If it were another country starting a cyberwar, or a false flag, shouldn't it be much bigger targets? I think either one is highly unlikely anyway. They can probably push through internet control crap without anything like that.
This all assumes our gov would do something like that in the first place. I'd like to believe they wouldn't.
Yeah I know. Every single thing they do shows inexperience and incompetence. When they visited PM of UK, obama gave him gift of a couple dozen region ONE dvds like ET that he couldn't play in his dvd player, as if they are so uncultured they can't even get dvds over there. The gift from the PM? A pen holder made from wood of the last british sailing ship to fight slavery. A meaningful gift vs an insulting incompetent one.

25. Re: BioWare Hacked Jun 16, 2011, 17:07 Prez

A political thread would be far worse than just another hacking thread. Let's argue about who is at fault!  

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

24. Re: BioWare Hacked Jun 16, 2011, 16:20 Mashiki Amiketo

That people voted in a "community organizer" without looking at their actual record says a hell of a lot about the state of US politics.

--
"For every human problem,
there is a neat, simple solution;
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

23. Re: BioWare Hacked Jun 16, 2011, 15:12 mag

Creston wrote on Jun 16, 2011, 11:51:

People keep saying that, but I doubt it. First of, the US really doesn't need much extra leverage to be able to lock shit down anyway, and second, if the US government WAS behind it, and it came out, the shitstorm would be of monstrous proportions.

I doubt Obama's administration is that dumb.

Creston

I'm a pretty liberal dude, and I voted for Obama and all, but man. They totally are that dumb. The Obama administration is 200% as dumb as the Bush administration when it comes to trying to fuck up the Internet for everybody. They won't be happy until they can monitor and decrypt every packet from every computer in the country.

22. Re: BioWare Hacked Jun 16, 2011, 15:11 Flatline

SM0k3 wrote on Jun 16, 2011, 14:01:
Is there a hack-fest going on or something every couple of days some site is getting breached, even the CIA got a d.o.s attack and brought their severs down momentarily. Seems there needs to be a bigger and better focus on network security in these days. JMHO of course

Problem is that security is a catch-up industry. While you can institute a number of common-sense solutions to greatly improve security, your entire network is only as strong as the weakest link, and that's always, ALWAYS the human element. It only takes one dipshit to blow your security wide open, and educating users to behave intelligently is the most difficult, time consuming process in network security.

21. Re: BioWare Hacked Jun 16, 2011, 15:00 Optional nickname

Creston wrote on Jun 16, 2011, 11:51:

... if the US government WAS behind it, and it came out, the shitstorm would be of monstrous proportions.

Creston

Oh yes, I would imagine the fury of a lazy nation sending keystroke pulses with greater intensity than ever before!

This daily hacking episode is nothing more than just BS orchestrated by the company themselves, waving a flag saying, "look! We're a game company too! yoohoo, over here! buy our games, we need support!"

BULL SHIT, lies beyond belief, so far beyond, that they become believable once again. Just like everything else being thrown at the laymen peasants of Corporate America.

This comment was edited on Jun 16, 2011, 15:05.

20. Re: BioWare Hacked Jun 16, 2011, 14:52 Creston

Strumiker wrote on Jun 16, 2011, 14:26:
I think what gets me is that all these "hacks" are so pointless.

Pointless? It's for the lulz...

Creston

19. Re: BioWare Hacked Jun 16, 2011, 14:26 Strumiker

I think what gets me is that all these "hacks" are so pointless. I mean, if you want a real challenge - go break open some huge oil company conspiracy or something that could actually better humanity. I already think little of the companies getting hacked, but think even less of the bottom feeding hackers that are wasting their time and (meager) talents. Plus, they are now giving these companies another excuse to raise prices of their games...  

18. Re: BioWare Hacked Jun 16, 2011, 14:01 SM0k3

Is there a hack-fest going on or something every couple of days some site is getting breached, even the CIA got a d.o.s attack and brought their severs down momentarily. Seems there needs to be a bigger and better focus on network security in these days. JMHO of course  

17. Re: BioWare Hacked Jun 16, 2011, 12:25 Jivaro

nin wrote on Jun 16, 2011, 11:15:
"I'm Commander Shepard, and this is my favorite hack!"

Thread won with first post.

16. Re: BioWare Hacked Jun 16, 2011, 12:12 MajorD

killer_roach wrote on Jun 16, 2011, 11:58:
Creston wrote on Jun 16, 2011, 11:24:
MajorD wrote on Jun 16, 2011, 11:22:
WTF?! Have these type of servers become a fad for hackers as of late? How many ‘game company’ servers is this now; six? You'd think, by now, other companies would have taken necessary steps to protect their servers from these shmucks.

That's not how corporations work. They don't spend money to potentially prevent something that basically wouldn't cause them any damages anyway. They'd rather just put their heads in the sand and hope really hard it won't happen to them. And if it does, oh well, it's not THEIR personal information that gets stolen.

Creston

Or, even on the more optimistic side:
IT person: "All of our competitors' sites are getting hacked! What should we do?
Management: "Write up a list of proposals and present them to the next management meeting next month."

Two weeks later...
Hacker: "..."
IT person: "Oh, goddamnit..."

LOL!.....tears from laughter here. You nailed that dude!

15. Re: BioWare Hacked Jun 16, 2011, 12:06 Techie714 ©

Or, even on the more optimistic side:
IT person: "All of our competitors' sites are getting hacked! What should we do?
Management: "Write up a list of proposals and present them to the next management meeting next month."

Two weeks later...
Hacker: "..."
IT person: "Oh, goddamnit..."
OMG there is so much truth in that statement it's not even funny!!! Great post!

Steam (ID)
http://steamcommunity.com/id/techie714/
DEAD SH0T
Keep your privacy!
http://prism-break.org/

34 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo