Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Eurogamer Blacklisted By 2K?

A tweet by Eurogamer's Tom Bramwell follows on the controversy over blacklist threats over Duke Nukem Forever reviews that lead to 2K firing PR firm the Redner Group by saying Eurogamer has actually been blacklisted by 2K: "I feel sorry for @TheRednerGroup today. We are blacklisted by @2KGames and it seems to be standard practice." Thanks VG247.

View
25 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

25. Re: Eurogamer Blacklisted By 2K? Jun 17, 2011, 04:40 InBlack

And wonderful thing is, instead of Eurogamer reacting and writing a big piece on this, Tom Bramwell will probably get fired and Eurogamer will keep their mouths shut.  

I have a nifty blue line!
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

24. Re: Eurogamer Blacklisted By 2K? Jun 16, 2011, 18:50 bobbyric

Blacklisting is supposed to be used so you don't get crap scores for your games...

Wait... DNF already got crap scores across the board, blackmail is broken! And yet they try...

23. Re: Eurogamer Blacklisted By 2K? Jun 16, 2011, 18:29 Jerykk

Just for once, I'd like gaming "journalists" to ask the questions people actually care about instead of just asking questions that have already been answered by all the previews. For example, when conducting an E3 interview about Hitman: Absolution, the following questions should have been asked:

1) Does the game still have a rating system?
2) If so, how do the scripted confrontations (such as the helicopter chase in the demo) affect these ratings?
3) Is it possible to play through the entire game by only killing your targets?
4) Is it possible to turn off all player assists, like Instinct mode and the enemy direction/awareness indicators?

Did any "journalists" ask any of those questions? Nope.

22. Re: Eurogamer Blacklisted By 2K? Jun 16, 2011, 17:20 Prez

I've read a lot of reviews in my time, and quite a few were so bad that if I owned a company those establishments would be forever more Blacklisted as long as they had such incompetent reviewers working for them.

The sate of gaming "journalism", if it can even be called that, is beyond abysmal. Hey, I understand we're not reporting on world affairs here, but would it kill you to retain some tiny semblance of standards and professionalism? On the flipside, to the many gaming journalism entities who act all high and mighty and as if their shit don't stink, trust me - it does stink. It stinks to high heaven.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

21. Re: Eurogamer Blacklisted By 2K? Jun 16, 2011, 16:31 Tumbler

I want to encourage pr guys at gaming websites to ignore these kind of threats. Covering a game like duke and giving it a good review to keep your bridges in tact is a good way to go out of business. 2k can learn the hard way what happens when you try and dupe people into a shit purchase. Fans are going to remember this when the next gearbox / 2k game comes around. Buyer beware.

You can play a free trial of duke via onlive at the moment. 30 min limit. I don't recommend using a mouse and keyboard, input lag is pretty bad, load times are pretty awful too, I was expecting it to load faster as its in the cloud and all.

99gamers.com-Game trading site, PC digital trading!
Kickstarter "Game Developer"!

20. Re: Eurogamer Blacklisted By 2K? Jun 16, 2011, 15:33 Zptr

ASeven wrote on Jun 16, 2011, 15:06:
Gaming journalism? Gaming shilling you all mean.

Any real journalists would take a look at all the so-called "game journalists" and die laughing. There are some few notable exceptions but in truth most game journalists don't even have the minimum requirements to be called errand boys in a real newspaper or any other place that employs journalists.

As a "games journalist" myself (back when the term was even more meaningless), I would agree with you for the most part. However, I'd also say that journalism as a whole has long been discredited, regardless of the genre. The entire news trade is little more than a form of copy-writing, BBC included. As you say, there are exceptions. I'd say that J. Walker of RPS is a hero that deserves recognition.

http://blog.playscifi.com

19. Re: Eurogamer Blacklisted By 2K? Jun 16, 2011, 15:11 Ruffiana

Dirwulf wrote on Jun 16, 2011, 11:33:
Where are the gaming investigative journalists? They could break the gaming worlds equivalent of Payola wide open.

We're living in a world where the vast majority of our news comes from coroprate owned media outlets, who's primary concern is profits through ratings. Independant journalism has little more weight and reach than an individual's blog.

18. Re: Eurogamer Blacklisted By 2K? Jun 16, 2011, 15:11 wonkman

After seeing reviews and game footage, I wish I could get blacklisted by 2K games.  

17. Re: Eurogamer Blacklisted By 2K? Jun 16, 2011, 15:06 ASeven

Gaming journalism? Gaming shilling you all mean.

Any real journalists would take a look at all the so-called "game journalists" and die laughing. There are some few notable exceptions but in truth most game journalists don't even have the minimum requirements to be called errand boys in a real newspaper or any other place that employs journalists.

16. Re: Eurogamer Blacklisted By 2K? Jun 16, 2011, 14:38 Halo

StingingVelvet wrote on Jun 16, 2011, 13:38:
Ray Marden wrote on Jun 16, 2011, 13:12:
Uhh...what gaming journalists?

Indeed.

Gaming "news" sites are just regurgitated press releases. Youtube videos are more helpful in deciding what to buy than reviews are. Gaming "journalism" is non-existent.

Euro gamer usually had lower ratings. I remember the old 1up.com came out pretty honest(sounding).

15. Re: Eurogamer Blacklisted By 2K? Jun 16, 2011, 14:08 Parallax Abstraction

Dirwulf wrote on Jun 16, 2011, 11:33:
Where are the gaming investigative journalists? They could break the gaming worlds equivalent of Payola wide open.

You can't pay for them with ad revenue.

Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube (Watch/Rate/Comment on my shows!)

14. Re: Eurogamer Blacklisted By 2K? Jun 16, 2011, 13:38 StingingVelvet

Ray Marden wrote on Jun 16, 2011, 13:12:

Indeed.

Gaming "news" sites are just regurgitated press releases. Youtube videos are more helpful in deciding what to buy than reviews are. Gaming "journalism" is non-existent.

13. Re: Eurogamer Blacklisted By 2K? Jun 16, 2011, 13:17 Beamer

Oh no now they'll have to buy the game and give honest reviews! What will we do?!

There are plenty of reviewers out there in other industries that refuse anything they don't pay for.

Of course, most other industries have review outlets that don't depend exclusively on those they're reviewing for revenues. A newspaper or magazine only makes a tiny bit of its revenue from movies. A video game site probably makes 85%.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

12. Re: Eurogamer Blacklisted By 2K? Jun 16, 2011, 13:12 Ray Marden

Oh...right.
Not the dudes who get perks to sell a game.
Ray

Everything is awesome!!!
http://shoutengine.com/GarnettonGames/
I love you, mom.

11. Re: Eurogamer Blacklisted By 2K? Jun 16, 2011, 13:10 Halo

Oh no now they'll have to buy the game and give honest reviews! What will we do?!  

10. Re: Eurogamer Blacklisted By 2K? Jun 16, 2011, 13:08 Beamer

Blacklisting definitely happens, but it's supposed to be hush-hush. Redner tweeting it publicly seemed to be what pissed off 2K.

Lots of speculation in here.
Blacklisting for a fair review is less common than people think because people tend to talk.
Blacklisting for an unfair review will happen more often. What constitutes "fair?" That's a good question and I'd be certain publishers will pick and choose on that. But most blacklistings happen because someone takes particular offense to a review in that they feel it was sloppy (eg a reviewer complains about a mechanic that wasn't actually in the game, or clearly didn't finish the game, or has issues that don't relate specifically to the game, etc) or are done with particular venom. Usually they come from a trend, not a single review.

Not all blacklistings are undeserved. I'd be curious, though, to know what Activision told Eurogamer.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

9. Re: Eurogamer Blacklisted By 2K? Jun 16, 2011, 12:59 finga

Blacklisting definitely happens, but it's supposed to be hush-hush. Redner tweeting it publicly seemed to be what pissed off 2K.  

8. Re: Eurogamer Blacklisted By 2K? Jun 16, 2011, 12:09 Yakubs

Yeah, but no one really cares.  

7. Re: Eurogamer Blacklisted By 2K? Jun 16, 2011, 12:09 Zptr

Been standard operating procedure for years. Acti blacklisted PCZone back in 98 after I gave Dark Reign 89% (Gamer had given it 90%).  

http://blog.playscifi.com

6. Re: Eurogamer Blacklisted By 2K? Jun 16, 2011, 11:33 Dirwulf

25 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo