Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Fallen Earth Going Free-to-Play

Post-apocalyptic MMORPG Fallen Earth is going free-to-play, reports Massively, where they have first word on the change, which does not yet have a scheduled launch date. They have all the details, and here's a quick summary: "There will essentially be four tiers of this new business model: completely free, plus the Silver, Gold, and VIP subscription levels. The subscriptions will offer reward points, much as the game does now, but with even more items to purchase with those points. Keep in mind that these may not be the official names of the subscription tiers on release."

View
19 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

19. Re: Fallen Earth Going Free-to-Play Jun 16, 2011, 15:28 Ant

Is this game any good?  

Ant @ The Ant Farm: http://antfarm.ma.cx and Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net ...
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

18. Re: Fallen Earth Going Free-to-Play Jun 16, 2011, 10:56 Armengar

linky

its not F2P just yet.

Its not the cough that carries you off but the coffin they carry you off in.

17. Re: Fallen Earth Going Free-to-Play Jun 16, 2011, 09:00 Mingus

Scottso wrote on Jun 16, 2011, 06:31:
I always find it amazing when they still make enough money to stay in business after going the f2p route. In my opinion its because the game was NOT good enough to bring people in to pay subscriptions fees, but marginally good enough to get a few players suckered in by offering the bare minimum for free and then offering them "cheats" if they pay a few cents on the dollar.

Runescape business model? I still can't for the life of me figure out how that game still keeps chugging along. Talk about a loyal fanbase!

16. Re: Fallen Earth Jun 16, 2011, 08:31 JoeNapalm

Grokk wrote on Jun 16, 2011, 00:14:
I played Fallen Earth when it first came out. Quite enjoyed it to be honest.

Agreed - very NOT WoW MMORPG.

I had a lot of fun with it for a couple of months.

I think my capacity to play an MMO for years has gone the way of the dodo...I figured if I get a few months out of one, it is pretty good, on my scale.

Actually, in all honesty, if I get enough enjoyment out of it during my free month to justify the cost of the game purchase, I figure they did okay.

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

15. Re: Fallen Earth Going Free-to-Play Jun 16, 2011, 06:57 Pete

The business of the mmo has changed. You're views of their business models with regards to success should also change.  
Doin' it Big

14. Re: Fallen Earth Going Free-to-Play Jun 16, 2011, 06:31 Scottso

Is it just me or when you hear a game going "free to play" you automatically think, "well they must be desperate since they couldn't get enough people to pay a monthly subscription."

I always find it amazing when they still make enough money to stay in business after going the f2p route. In my opinion its because the game was NOT good enough to bring people in to pay subscriptions fees, but marginally good enough to get a few players suckered in by offering the bare minimum for free and then offering them "cheats" if they pay a few cents on the dollar.

Brilliant from a business perspective. Bad news for people who like to think they are playing a game where they can compete on their skill and experience irregardless of how much disposable income they have.

13. DOH! Jun 16, 2011, 04:21 Darth Guybrush

Already stated DOH! Stop tubbing it in!!! xo  

12. Re: Fallen Earth Jun 16, 2011, 04:19 xXBatmanXx

zerobytes wrote on Jun 15, 2011, 23:56:
Darth Guybrush wrote on Jun 15, 2011, 23:51:
Check this link Zero!

http://store.steampowered.com/app/36620/

Thanks, but that's Forsaken World you linked.

Correct link:
http://store.steampowered.com/app/40000/

Still 20.00

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad

11. Re: Fallen Earth Going Free-to-Play Jun 16, 2011, 04:18 xXBatmanXx

Anyone playing this? Actually looks like something I might enjoy.  

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad

10. No subject Jun 16, 2011, 01:47 Darth Guybrush

And Star Trek Online!  

9. Re: Fallen Earth Going Free-to-Play Jun 16, 2011, 01:43 Vazz

Wow. Wasn't expecting this. It seems like every mmo is going f2p these days(except Vanguard which is the one that really needs it). I actually quite enjoyed Fallen Earth when it came out. It's one of the few original mmo's to come out in recent years. I just didn't have enough time to be subscribing to a pay mmo but if it's going to be free, I'll definitely check it out again.  

8. Forsaken World Jun 16, 2011, 00:19 Darth Guybrush

Doh!  

7. Re: Fallen Earth Going Free-to-Play Jun 16, 2011, 00:15 Sempai

Freddy Mercury said it best.

..Another one bites the dust!

6. Re: Fallen Earth Jun 16, 2011, 00:14 Grokk

I played Fallen Earth when it first came out. Quite enjoyed it to be honest.

I vaguely recall there being mention of a F2P model going into the game like 12 months ago though. I must be thinking of something else.

5. Re: Fallen Earth Jun 16, 2011, 00:14 Frijoles

Probably still $20 since it hasn't been updated yet (it was for sale on Steam). Good news. I enjoyed the game for a short period and will try it again.  

4. Re: Fallen Earth Jun 15, 2011, 23:56 Killswitch

Darth Guybrush wrote on Jun 15, 2011, 23:51:
Check this link Zero!

Thanks, but that's Forsaken World you linked.

3. Fallen Earth Jun 15, 2011, 23:51 Darth Guybrush

Check this link Zero!

2. Re: Fallen Earth Jun 15, 2011, 23:50 Killswitch

Darth Guybrush wrote on Jun 15, 2011, 23:39:
It's available for download via Steam right now

I see it on Steam for $20 with a notice saying it requires a monthly fee. I was under the impression that "completely free", as stated in the Massively article, meant they were giving away the client for free--no? I'm slightly curious what the gameplay is like, but not curious enough to spend any money on it after reading some unfavorable reviews.

1. Fallen Earth Jun 15, 2011, 23:39 Darth Guybrush

It's available for download via Steam right now  

19 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo