Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

Evening Tech Bits

View
12 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

12. Re: Evening Tech Bits Jun 17, 2011, 04:09 Nucas

zirik wrote on Jun 16, 2011, 17:44:
InBlack wrote on Jun 16, 2011, 10:19:
because the school system has gone to shit and because only the richest can afford the best schools (In Europe and the USA at least)

ignorance. you have no idea how many foreign students come from asia to study science and engineering in the united states. and they dont necessarily go to the expensive schools. state universities are full of chinese students in california. even thailand has a program to send their brightest to learn from american institutions and then intern at large corporations in return for their services as teachers and professors back in their homeland. i see this happening a lot at the firm i work for. so dont give me the bullshit that american schools have gone to shit.

i did not get the impression he was impugning the quality of the education, just the accessibility to the best institutions to anyone but the super rich.

Dades wrote on Jun 16, 2011, 19:39:
zirik wrote on Jun 16, 2011, 17:39:

agreed. companies who use loopholes have been lobying the obama administration to allow them to bring home the profits made by their overseas operations without having to pay penalty in taxes. but creative accounting practices are slowly taking away the bite of taxes. the incentives placed to keep jobs in america is not enough. there should be extra tariff on products made by american firms who use overseas factories. designed in america while made in china should be discouraged.

Corporations have infected politics like a virus unfortunately and they are so ingrained now that even trying to upend the element they use to curry favor in the form of lobbying is met with such resistance that you would think we were trying to re-introduce slavery.
[stunned silence] W-WHAT ARE YOU, A COMMIE??

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

11. Re: Evening Tech Bits Jun 16, 2011, 19:39 Dades

zirik wrote on Jun 16, 2011, 17:39:

agreed. companies who use loopholes have been lobying the obama administration to allow them to bring home the profits made by their overseas operations without having to pay penalty in taxes. but creative accounting practices are slowly taking away the bite of taxes. the incentives placed to keep jobs in america is not enough. there should be extra tariff on products made by american firms who use overseas factories. designed in america while made in china should be discouraged.

Corporations have infected politics like a virus unfortunately and they are so ingrained now that even trying to upend the element they use to curry favor in the form of lobbying is met with such resistance that you would think we were trying to re-introduce slavery.

10. Re: Evening Tech Bits Jun 16, 2011, 17:44 zirik

because the school system has gone to shit and because only the richest can afford the best schools (In Europe and the USA at least)

ignorance. you have no idea how many foreign students come from asia to study science and engineering in the united states. and they dont necessarily go to the expensive schools. state universities are full of chinese students in california. even thailand has a program to send their brightest to learn from american institutions and then intern at large corporations in return for their services as teachers and professors back in their homeland. i see this happening a lot at the firm i work for. so dont give me the bullshit that american schools have gone to shit.

This comment was edited on Jun 16, 2011, 20:38.

9. Re: Evening Tech Bits Jun 16, 2011, 17:39 zirik

Beamer wrote on Jun 16, 2011, 09:42:
Make it REALLY expensive for companies to move their factories over seas and then ship their products back into the USA

If we did that 25 years ago we'd be in fine shape.

8. Re: Evening Tech Bits Jun 16, 2011, 17:32 zirik

At the same time they face a population drop and a drop in the blue collar workforce, due to the problem of low wages and cheap overseas employment.

due to the low wages? you just agreed to my point and contradicted yourself. lol.

7. Re: Evening Tech Bits Jun 16, 2011, 10:19 InBlack

zirik wrote on Jun 16, 2011, 06:32:
InBlack wrote on Jun 16, 2011, 05:59:
How long do you think would the USA hold the top technological spot in the world if it didnt "import" qualified engineers or scientists from overseas??

you do realize these imports accept lower wages than their american counterpart no? fewer college students take on engineering because the wages have not kept up with cost of living. a plumber or handyman can make more money than an entry level engineering grad. even the janitors in our office made more money than the civil engineer who came from thailand on H1 visa.

You do realise that how much they make is totally irellevant to the discussion, which is about their lack of numbers. Plumbers have always been pretty rich, pretty much everywhere in the world. And no I dont think that college students skip engineering or physics courses just because something else pays better, they do it because they are lazy and disinterested, because the school system has gone to shit and because only the richest can afford the best schools (In Europe and the USA at least)

So yes my point stands. The US and most of western Europe faces a big drop in highly educated workforce which is only bound to get worse with time, as school systems desintegrate due to their lack of "profitability". (Communist Russia had arguably the best school system ever) At the same time they face a population drop and a drop in the blue collar workforce, due to the problem of low wages and cheap overseas employment.

Immigration is the only answer. Face it, dont hate it.

I have a nifty blue line!

6. Re: Evening Tech Bits Jun 16, 2011, 09:42 Beamer

Make it REALLY expensive for companies to move their factories over seas and then ship their products back into the USA

If we did that 25 years ago we'd be in fine shape.
At this point China owns too much of our debt.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

5. Re: Evening Tech Bits Jun 16, 2011, 06:32 zirik

InBlack wrote on Jun 16, 2011, 05:59:
How long do you think would the USA hold the top technological spot in the world if it didnt "import" qualified engineers or scientists from overseas??

you do realize these imports accept lower wages than their american counterpart no? fewer college students take on engineering because the wages have not kept up with cost of living. a plumber or handyman can make more money than an entry level engineering grad. even the janitors in our office made more money than the civil engineer who came from thailand on H1 visa.

4. Re: Evening Tech Bits Jun 16, 2011, 05:59 InBlack

xXBatmanXx wrote on Jun 16, 2011, 01:32:
Obama: 'We don't have enough engineers'.

And his response to that is to allow more Visas and quicker Visas to PEOPLE WHO ARE NOT FROM THE USA. Yea, way to combat that high unemployment rate by allowing those who come into the country and take jobs.

You want to combat UE? Make it REALLY expensive for companies to move their factories over seas and then ship their products back into the USA. NAFTA has killed blue collar America. I would be VERY willing to pay a few dollars more for products that were made in the USA and employing our citizens - as I am sure most would.

I have a nifty blue line!

3. Re: Evening Tech Bits Jun 16, 2011, 01:49 killer_roach

xXBatmanXx wrote on Jun 16, 2011, 01:32:

And his response to that is to allow more Visas and quicker Visas to PEOPLE WHO ARE NOT FROM THE USA. Yea, way to combat that high unemployment rate by allowing those who come into the country and take jobs.

You want to combat UE? Make it REALLY expensive for companies to move their factories over seas and then ship their products back into the USA. NAFTA has killed blue collar America. I would be VERY willing to pay a few dollars more for products that were made in the USA and employing our citizens - as I am sure most would.

I have no problem bringing in skilled engineers from foreign countries... but visas? No, bring these people into America on a permanent basis, rather than have to subject anybody wanting to work in this country to bureaucratic hell.

2. Re: Evening Tech Bits Jun 16, 2011, 01:32 xXBatmanXx

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad

1. Re: Evening Tech Bits Jun 16, 2011, 00:23 Ashley

NASA, DARPA looking for your input for futuristic space exploration dialogue.

I think the creators of Vault-Tec would be excellent at helping with long term space flight habitation offers. Hope they contact DARPA.
If they do, I would not want to be a crew member

12 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo