Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

EA Didn't Pull Crysis 2 from Steam

GameFront has a statement from Electronic Arts saying they did not pull Crysis 2 from Steam (thanks Computer and Video Games), in spite of the implications of the "only on Origin" button they display for the first-person shooter sequel. Rather this seems possibly connected to the game's ability to sell content from within itself. Here's word from EA:

It’s unfortunate that Steam has removed Crysis 2 from their service. This was not an EA decision or the result of any action by EA.

Steam has imposed a set of business terms for developers hoping to sell content on that service – many of which are not imposed by other online game services. Unfortunately, Crytek has an agreement with another download service which violates the new rules from Steam and resulted in its expulsion of Crysis 2 from Steam.

Crysis 2 continues to be available on several other download services including GameStop, Amazon, Origin.com and more.

View
56 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

56. Re: EA Didn't Pull Crysis 2 from Steam Jun 17, 2011, 16:21 Dev

Creston wrote on Jun 16, 2011, 16:15:
Dev wrote on Jun 15, 2011, 20:34:
You mean like the month long DA:O outage that was related to the DLC authentication? The one where bioware was asleep at the switch and it took them a month to figure out they had a problem and fix it so people could play the game again?

As retarded as the outage was, it was five days, not a month...

Creston
For some reason I was thinking a month sorry. Guess it was more like a week. At any rate, stuff like that should be fixed far faster. Problems that prevent tons of people from playing a game they purchased should be top priority. Like those frequent outages with ubisoft DRM. I bought settlers 7 in the recent sale hoping all that was in the past and I STILL was prevented from playing my legit purchased game when their authentication servers went down AGAIN. In the middle of my game it informed me I had to quit since it couldn't contact the servers and that it would save before it forced me to quit.
I would have been better off using a crack.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

55. Re: EA Didn't Pull Crysis 2 from Steam Jun 16, 2011, 16:15 Creston

You mean like the month long DA:O outage that was related to the DLC authentication? The one where bioware was asleep at the switch and it took them a month to figure out they had a problem and fix it so people could play the game again?

As retarded as the outage was, it was five days, not a month...

Creston

54. Re: EA Didn't Pull Crysis 2 from Steam Jun 16, 2011, 14:04 Rockn-Roll

GamesIndustry.biz has a quote from EA saying that they aim to be, "the worldwide leader in digital publishing". I think that says it all...apparently EA has used Steam to leap frog into digital distribution. This has nothing to do with NDAs or in-game sales. It sounds like it's a violation of the Federal anti-trust laws which prohibit competition between manufacturer and distributor.

It's sometimes easier to have an example. For instance let's say a grocery store chain was distributing a product on their shelves. The store has to purchase the product from the manufacturer before they can put it on their shelves. Then customers go into the store and pull the product off the shelf then walk to the cashier and pay for it.

What EA is doing is like making a second product, but instead of selling it to the store to put on the shelves so that the store gets a piece of the revenue they are sticking it inside the product box and standing outside the store and trying to sell unlock codes for the second product. The store is distributing a product for free. But, as I pointed out...this is only a symptom of the real problem.

The real problem is that not only are they standing outside and selling products that the store is distributing for free, but EA is trying to sell products from other manufacturers before the customers ever get into the store. Effectively stealing sales from the stores. Steam wisely gave EA the boot...at least with Crysis 2...but that is only treating the symptim. If Steam wants to solve the problem they should pull all EA games from Steam and force EA to take over distribution immediately. And, follow up with a breach-of-constract suit to avoid any retaliation from EA.

Let's Rock!

53. Re: EA Didn't Pull Crysis 2 from Steam Jun 16, 2011, 12:16 Krovven

KilrathiAce wrote on Jun 16, 2011, 07:38:
Crysis 2 bought on steam does use steamworks

Source? I havent found anything supporting this.

What does Steamworks in Crysis 2 do? I don't recall seeing any Steamworks features in Crysis 2.

52. Re: EA Didn't Pull Crysis 2 from Steam Jun 16, 2011, 07:38 KilrathiAce

Krovven wrote on Jun 15, 2011, 20:02:
KilrathiAce wrote on Jun 15, 2011, 19:01:
Dirt3 does not use steamworks and thus is not bound by terms with valve, it can have dlcs sold elsewhere and not steam as much as they want.

I don't recall Crysis 2 using Steamworks. Doesn't help that even as an owner of Crysis 2 on Steam I cannot view the store page to check. But doing a quick search, it appears that it is indeed not a Steamworks game.

Crysis 2 bought on steam does use steamworks, however Crysis 2 does not require steam or steamworks to run. This is same situation as men of war assault squad. If DMS or 1C did dlc for men of war assault squad thats not sold through steam, same situation would occur, they have to sell dlcs through steam. But the game itself does not require to use steam to play.

"On 2646.215 I myself attacked & destroyed TCS Tiger's Claw in my Jalthi heavy fighter"
Bakhtosh Redclaw Nar Kiranka

51. Re: EA Didn't Pull Crysis 2 from Steam Jun 15, 2011, 22:26 PropheT

So is that why Alice isn't on Steam too, then?  

50. Re: EA Didn't Pull Crysis 2 from Steam Jun 15, 2011, 22:12 Prez

Don't care who is right or who is wrong - all I know is that this sucks. I wanted the game on Steam.  

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

49. Re: EA Didn't Pull Crysis 2 from Steam Jun 15, 2011, 21:54 briktal

Hyatus wrote on Jun 15, 2011, 16:46:
2. Steam couldn't guarantee the content that didn't come from them. Let's say you buy $200 worth of DLC from EA. EA shuts down Origin or changes their mind on allowing unlimited downloads for DLC. It's going to make Valve look bad. At least with Steam, the content is always there to download.

nin wrote on Jun 15, 2011, 17:26:

As someone on K points out:

That it's pretty strange that somehow Valve unexpectedly removed it, and not ten seconds later "ONLY ON ORIGIN" advertising kicks into gear.

LOL, good point. Sounds more like EA wanted an excuse to pull the games so they could advertise them as "ONLY ON ORIGIN"
Of course its still available on things like d2d, so maybe EA just doesn't know wtf is going on.

Or maybe Valve and EA talked to each other and they knew it would get pulled.

48. Re: EA Didn't Pull Crysis 2 from Steam Jun 15, 2011, 21:31 xXBatmanXx

Sooo...another nickel and dime micro-transaction game? Sounds like I will pass anyway.  

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad

47. Re: EA Didn't Pull Crysis 2 from Steam Jun 15, 2011, 21:03 killer_roach

Lorcin wrote on Jun 15, 2011, 20:17:
I think EA are starting a fight they can't possibly win here. Nobody likes EA - every stuff pack they charge for the sims just reiterates that point.

Why do they release so many Sims packs and charge what they do for them?

They sell at that price in substantial quantities, and they don't cost a whole lot to develop. Blame the Sims addicts, not EA for giving them what they want.

46. Re: EA Didn't Pull Crysis 2 from Steam Jun 15, 2011, 20:34 Dev

Hyatus wrote on Jun 15, 2011, 16:46:
2. Steam couldn't guarantee the content that didn't come from them. Let's say you buy $200 worth of DLC from EA. EA shuts down Origin or changes their mind on allowing unlimited downloads for DLC. It's going to make Valve look bad. At least with Steam, the content is always there to download.

nin wrote on Jun 15, 2011, 17:26:

As someone on K points out:

That it's pretty strange that somehow Valve unexpectedly removed it, and not ten seconds later "ONLY ON ORIGIN" advertising kicks into gear.

LOL, good point. Sounds more like EA wanted an excuse to pull the games so they could advertise them as "ONLY ON ORIGIN"
Of course its still available on things like d2d, so maybe EA just doesn't know wtf is going on.

This comment was edited on Jun 15, 2011, 20:42.

45. Re: EA Didn't Pull Crysis 2 from Steam Jun 15, 2011, 20:17 Lorcin

I think EA are starting a fight they can't possibly win here. Nobody likes EA - every stuff pack they charge for the sims just reiterates that point.

The last thing EA need is to narrow the distribution of their games - we're so pissed off at them already I'd actually sooner pay more on steam then let EA know my email address.

Square/Enix/Eidos have the right of it at the moment - they charging average prices for average games across a LOT of distribution networks.

44. Re: EA Didn't Pull Crysis 2 from Steam Jun 15, 2011, 20:02 Krovven

KilrathiAce wrote on Jun 15, 2011, 19:01:
Dirt3 does not use steamworks and thus is not bound by terms with valve, it can have dlcs sold elsewhere and not steam as much as they want.

I don't recall Crysis 2 using Steamworks. Doesn't help that even as an owner of Crysis 2 on Steam I cannot view the store page to check. But doing a quick search, it appears that it is indeed not a Steamworks game.

43. Re: EA Didn't Pull Crysis 2 from Steam Jun 15, 2011, 19:58 SirKnight

What I want to know is, what happens with Crytek releases a patch? Like the DX11 patch. Are us steam buyers going to be shafted?

I don't think it's right for devs/pubs to sell extra stuff (DLC/in-app-purchases) by bypassing the system they are on like what EA wanted to do. Steam's policy, which is similar to Apple's App Store policy, is the right thing. If you want to sell extra stuff, you must go through the service giving a small percentage. I hope valve does not change steam's policy on this, even though it sucks Crysis 2 is no longer on there because of it.

I only want one place for downloadable games and that is steam. I will just not buy a game if it forces me to another client/service. I have made steam my central point for launching almost all of my games, including games I did not buy from there.

Oh BTW, Rage is now on steam for preordering. I noticed that today. I'm not sure I want to download a game that big though. Having the actual case and disks is good but it does take up space. Space I don't have.

42. Re: EA Didn't Pull Crysis 2 from Steam Jun 15, 2011, 19:37 Dades

Enahs wrote on Jun 15, 2011, 19:15:
I have not been following this all that closely.

But what does it mean for those people who purchased the game through Steam? Will they be able to install the game again? Do they get a refund? Or just lost money?

The content servers will always serve the files to people who have purchased the game, it's an account flag that is set. They don't go in after and remove it, they just move the store page to inactive. Some people have been able to get expired demos and promotional items this way by downloading them through Phoenix which has reverse engineered SID unpacking and most of the content server protocols.

41. Re: EA Didn't Pull Crysis 2 from Steam Jun 15, 2011, 19:18 Lorcin

I had a minor flashback earlier which I can't be bothered to research. Anybody else remember people bitching about compulsory steam installs the same way people currently do about GWFL or any form of DRM?  

40. Re: EA Didn't Pull Crysis 2 from Steam Jun 15, 2011, 19:15 Enahs

I have not been following this all that closely.

But what does it mean for those people who purchased the game through Steam? Will they be able to install the game again? Do they get a refund? Or just lost money?

I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally.
- W. C. Fields

39. Re: EA Didn't Pull Crysis 2 from Steam Jun 15, 2011, 19:13 Overon

STFU with the conspiracies. Don't you understand that conspiracies have a higher burden of proof because of their implausibility than non conspiracies?

This applies to all conspiracies. Claiming a conspiracy requires far more proof than a mundane much simpler non conspiratorial explanation.

38. Re: EA Didn't Pull Crysis 2 from Steam Jun 15, 2011, 19:01 KilrathiAce

Krovven wrote on Jun 15, 2011, 18:18:
eRe4s3r wrote on Jun 15, 2011, 17:44:
Steam hasn't the slightest problem with dlc, as long as its not exclusively tied to a service thats not steam.

Not entirely true. You can see Dirt 3 DLC on GFWL that is not on Steam, among others.

That's why I'm thinking we don't have all the facts yet.

"On 2646.215 I myself attacked & destroyed TCS Tiger's Claw in my Jalthi heavy fighter"
Bakhtosh Redclaw Nar Kiranka

37. Re: EA Didn't Pull Crysis 2 from Steam Jun 15, 2011, 18:54 eRe4s3r

Tis true.. it certainly is one for the conspiracy theorists..  

56 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo