Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

New AMD/ATI Reference Drivers

AMD now offers new version 11.6 Catalyst reference drivers for AMD/ATI graphics cards. The new drivers are available for Windows 7/VISTA, Windows 7/VISTA 64-bit, Windows XP, and Windows XP 64-bit. The release notes have details on what's new and different, which include performance improvements for a number of games when using a Radeon HD 6000 series accelerator. This page has a hotfix for a "No compatible hardware found" error some users may encounter.

View
14 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

14. Re: New AMD/ATI Reference Drivers Jun 16, 2011, 20:19 Jerykk

Despoiler wrote on Jun 16, 2011, 10:48:
noman wrote on Jun 15, 2011, 21:09:
Jerykk wrote on Jun 15, 2011, 20:31:
The 11.5b hotfix and CAP5 fix the Witcher 2 crossfire issues.

And the same fix is included in these drivers. It's mentioned in the release note as well.

So did you install these drivers w/Cap5?

The 11.6 drivers already have CAP5 integrated into them.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

13. Re: New AMD/ATI Reference Drivers Jun 16, 2011, 11:10 justice7

I just picked up a 6970, and am quite happy with it. Came with a free copy of Shogun 2 Total War ... awesome game!

Also, image quality should be factored into the purchase decision, it seems to me the 570 skips out on some good Tesselation in sacrifice for extra frames

12. Re: New AMD/ATI Reference Drivers Jun 16, 2011, 10:48 Despoiler

noman wrote on Jun 15, 2011, 21:09:

And the same fix is included in these drivers. It's mentioned in the release note as well.

So did you install these drivers w/Cap5?

11. Re: New AMD/ATI Reference Drivers Jun 16, 2011, 08:29 Verno

Jonny5 wrote on Jun 15, 2011, 21:18:

nvidia hands down was the card to get this gen, the 570 can be had for 300 dollars now and blows away ANY ATI near that price. Hopefully I will be getting ATI next gen, but the 5 series has blown away ATI in all 3 price ranges this gen. Sad but true. While I would Jump on a 6990 at 599.99. I have owned many ATI in past, 9700 pro, 4870 x2. I am happy I did not buy into them this gen. My 570 is an incredible card at 900 MHZ never breaking 63 load, almost compares to a stock 580 and NO ATI under 400 can touch it.

Actually the 560 Ti and Radeon 5850 were the best performers in terms of performance to price ratio this generation though the latter has poor tesselation performance in DX11 but it was a first gen DX11 product so that's somewhat understandable. The 570 was overpriced for quite awhile and even now the performance delta between it and more mainstream products doesn't really justify itself unless you game at ~1980x1200 or have dual monitors.

Playing: Dragon Age Inquisition, Far Cry 4, This War of Mine
Watching: Pioneer, Predestination, Homeland

10. Re: New AMD/ATI Reference Drivers Jun 15, 2011, 21:21 Jerykk

If you're going for a dual-GPU setup, Nvidia is the way to go. While both Crossfire and SLI have their issues, Nvidia is much quicker to fix their issues. ATI's solution to a lot of issues is to just disable Crossfire or antialiasing entirely. That's really unacceptable when dual-GPU cards cost over $600. The whole point of these cards is to get the best performance and image quality and by disabling Crossfire and antialiasing, you're completely defeating that point. If a certain game has issues with CF or AA, ATI needs to actively work with the developers to fix them before the game's release.  

9. Re: New AMD/ATI Reference Drivers Jun 15, 2011, 21:18 Jonny5

Evil Timmy wrote on Jun 15, 2011, 21:15:
I've run both Ati and Nvidia (sometimes both, between the gaming and office PCs), and there really is a trade-off for each. Currently my biggest deciding factor is overscan support for connecting to an HDTV or projector. Nvidia completely lacks any support for overscan/underscan, and the custom resolution/resize options reduce resolution and result in hard-to-read text, which is a real killer when trying to play anything that requires reading, or just browsing the web. AMD has those settings as a simple slider that works perfectly. In general, though, I've been happier with nVidia's drivers in terms of stability and not messing up new games, where AMD/ATi have always been a little shaky (see the 99%-use-on-idle bug that was in six months of releases late last/earlier this year). The limited market tends to mean that you'll get very similar performance at most every price point, so if you're buying based on big-screen gaming or HTPC use, go AMD, otherwise just see whose cards have better rebates/deals when you're ready to buy.

nvidia hands down was the card to get this gen, the 570 can be had for 300 dollars now and blows away ANY ATI near that price. Hopefully I will be getting ATI next gen, but the 5 series has blown away ATI in all 3 price ranges this gen. Sad but true. While I would Jump on a 6990 at 599.99. I have owned many ATI in past, 9700 pro, 4870 x2. I am happy I did not buy into them this gen. My 570 is an incredible card at 900 MHZ never breaking 63 load, almost compares to a stock 580 and NO ATI under 400 can touch it.

8. Re: New AMD/ATI Reference Drivers Jun 15, 2011, 21:15 Evil Timmy

I've run both Ati and Nvidia (sometimes both, between the gaming and office PCs), and there really is a trade-off for each. Currently my biggest deciding factor is overscan support for connecting to an HDTV or projector. Nvidia completely lacks any support for overscan/underscan, and the custom resolution/resize options reduce resolution and result in hard-to-read text, which is a real killer when trying to play anything that requires reading, or just browsing the web. AMD has those settings as a simple slider that works perfectly. In general, though, I've been happier with nVidia's drivers in terms of stability and not messing up new games, where AMD/ATi have always been a little shaky (see the 99%-use-on-idle bug that was in six months of releases late last/earlier this year, and having to wipe the drivers every time if you want CCC to work). The limited market tends to mean that you'll get very similar performance at most every price point, so if you're buying based on big-screen gaming or HTPC use, go AMD, otherwise just see whose cards have better rebates/deals when you're ready to buy.  

7. Re: New AMD/ATI Reference Drivers Jun 15, 2011, 21:09 noman

6. Re: New AMD/ATI Reference Drivers Jun 15, 2011, 21:03 Dades

born2expire wrote on Jun 15, 2011, 19:45:
Still no Witcher 2 xfire fixes, hell Crysis 2 STILL doesn't work with dual cards.

Regretting my AMD cards with every bumpy game release, should have got 570's instead, but I figured I'd see what AMD has to offer

We have just as many little issues on the Nvidia side of things and I can't really say they are fixed faster.

The big difference seems to be that Nvidia at least tries to minimize them by having a developer relations team that bribes works with companies to ensure compatibility is decent. Keep in mind that a lot of companies don't do much PC Q/A these days, the PC port is often just cooked and thrown out with minimal effort.

5. Re: New AMD/ATI Reference Drivers Jun 15, 2011, 20:31 Jerykk

4. Re: New AMD/ATI Reference Drivers Jun 15, 2011, 19:45 born2expire

Still no Witcher 2 xfire fixes, hell Crysis 2 STILL doesn't work with dual cards.

Regretting my AMD cards with every bumpy game release, should have got 570's instead, but I figured I'd see what AMD has to offer

3. Re: New AMD/ATI Reference Drivers Jun 15, 2011, 19:43 Despoiler

Jerykk wrote on Jun 15, 2011, 17:33:
Wish they'd add some performance enhancements for non-6000 series cards.

Umm how are they supposed to do that? Old hardware is old hardware. You can only squeeze more out of your newest line of cards.

2. Re: New AMD/ATI Reference Drivers Jun 15, 2011, 17:33 Jerykk

Wish they'd add some performance enhancements for non-6000 series cards.  

1. New AMD/ATI Reference Drivers Jun 15, 2011, 17:20 linfosoma

I kind of want to try these, but the 11.5 released completely messed up a few apps that use OpenGL, I hope they fixed that!  

14 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo