Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

THQ On Dawn of War III

THQ plans a new direction for Dawn of War III, reports Eurogamer, where they have first details on the next installment in Relic's sci-fi real-time strategy series. "We're working on the next-generation of that franchise right now," THQ's Danny Bilson tells them. "I feel like an ass saying it's fantastic, but it is. And we're going to do something with it you haven't seen before. Preserving some things that have always been great about the first two generations of it, going back to 1 on some things, 2 on some things, and 3 will bring us some new things. When you see it you're going to go, whoa. I promise." He also strongly hints the game could be announced in August at Gamescom, and offers a general overview of what to expect: "Now Dawn of War III, either way, is going to have a much larger strategic component to it, more of a global battle going on with little tactical things, sort of MMO-like."

View
29 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

29. Re: THQ On Dawn of War III Jun 15, 2011, 19:31 SimplyMonk

In my dream of dreams DoW III will be playable at the Squad Level (DoW II), Army Level (DoW I) and the Fleet Level (Homeworld/Gothic) all simultaneously. I in no way think my brain or any human brain is equipped to engage in combat on all three level simultaneously, but I leave that to Relic to figure out. Make it happen.  

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

28. Re: THQ On Dawn of War III Jun 15, 2011, 18:00 MoreLuckThanSkill

"... sort of MMO-like."

Translation: Basically we realize we could have made more money on the last two games if we charged you a monthly fee, so expect that in DoW 3! Plus regular paid DLCs for things that should have been in the regular release! Enjoy!

How sad, Homeworld series owned, DoW 1 was great, I couldn't even tolerate the demo for DoW 2, and now DoW 3 sounds like it will be a cash raping joke more than any sort of RTS.

27. Re: THQ On Dawn of War III Jun 15, 2011, 17:26 Flatline

Doma wrote on Jun 15, 2011, 15:46:
make it like DoW 1 FFS!

No. DOW1 was cool, but at it's heart it was a cookie-cutter RTS with blood. The action was slow and never felt really grabbing.

DOW2 nailed the visceral feeling of the IP's combat, and actually was probably closer to the tabletop game in that it eschewed basebuilding.

DOW3 probably will have more base building, leader units, and squads that the leaders have the option of recruiting and joining to. This is sort of where they went in Retribution. Squads without leaders will have one or two powers/options, but squads with leaders will be highly flexible units requiring micromanagement.

I'd like to see morale loss do more than suppression, and cause units to break and potentially retreat in a disorganized way, taking units out of the fight for an extended period of time or making it easier to actually destroy the squad. It'd make flamers a much more appealing weapon choice.

26. Re: THQ On Dawn of War III Jun 15, 2011, 17:16 Flatline

HairySoap wrote on Jun 15, 2011, 10:17:
"sort of MMO-like."

Oh ffs.

If they do it like Total Annihilation's Boneyards, where you had galactic conquest across a giant map, that would be frickin' awesome.

The idea is that you pick a contested sector to have an online game in, and the game matches you up with another player. You play the game, and if you win, it counts as a point in your faction's favor. At the end of the day it totals the points up and awards the sector to the winning faction.

25. Re: THQ On Dawn of War III Jun 15, 2011, 15:46 Doma

make it like DoW 1 FFS!

24. Re: THQ On Dawn of War III Jun 15, 2011, 15:35 entr0py

I can only hope he means MMO-like in terms of scale. An enormous world that seems alive, rather than a series of small maps. Not really MO, just M.  

23. Re: THQ On Dawn of War III Jun 15, 2011, 14:36 Slashman

StingingVelvet wrote on Jun 15, 2011, 13:38:
DoW2 was one of the few "RTS" games I ever bought, because really it was more of a tactical RPG. If they go back to more traditional RTS gaming, or more online stuff, then I won't be interested.

Yeah...no one was expecting you to say that. That's such a huge surprise. Because everyone knows that the point of an RTS is to not actually be one. Rolleyes

22. Re: THQ On Dawn of War III Jun 15, 2011, 13:44 Jow

I'd love to see them keep the tactical focus and continue to skip over basebuilding, but the whole CoH-style VP gameplay with retreat mechanic definitely needs to evolve in order to get away from the whack-a-mole stuff.  

21. Re: THQ On Dawn of War III Jun 15, 2011, 13:38 StingingVelvet

DoW2 was one of the few "RTS" games I ever bought, because really it was more of a tactical RPG. If they go back to more traditional RTS gaming, or more online stuff, then I won't be interested.  

20. Re: THQ On Dawn of War III Jun 15, 2011, 13:03 Darks

Verno wrote on Jun 15, 2011, 10:17:
Bah, I was hoping the big Relic announcement later this year would be CoH 2.

Not me, I think more people were counting on it being Home World 3.

Relic needs to go back and do another one and give Warhammer a rest for a bit.

Creator of the Neverwnter Nights Eye of the Beholder Series of Mods.

http://www.moddb.com/mods/eye-of-the-beholder-ii-ledgend-of-darkmoon

19. Re: THQ On Dawn of War III Jun 15, 2011, 13:01 Tumbler

Verno wrote on Jun 15, 2011, 12:46:
That's exactly why you don't introduce another area of potential balance issues. If they have enough trouble balancing MP as it is you don't introduce a complex customization system that needs its own babysitting. I'm all for neat things in games man but you never stop to think of how they would be implemented. That's without getting into the fact that I really don't want THQ selling items that would be used in MP and you know that's exactly what would happen.

A messed up game is a messed up game. I'd rather have tons of customization options if I'm going to be playing an unbalanced game instead of having very rigid controls and still be playing an unbalanced game. You're damned if you do and damned if you don't. I can imagine a DoW3 with lots of paid content that didn't totally break the game. Everything in Tabletop 40k costs money, it's not like you buy the base game and you get everything, most players specialize in one army and spends hundreds of dollars buying the little pieces of that one army. If they were to offer something like the different war gear packs that we saw with DoW2 Retribution but didn't lock them behind certain retailers, you just chose which army you wanted to specialize in, I could see it working. The key would be delivering enough content to make it more than a gimmick. That retribution thing was stupid. But if that included multiple leaders for the army, plus dozens of wargear choices for each of those leaders so that each army became a massive amount of content and players picked the direction they wanted to go in it could be a lot of fun. Maybe make all the content unlock able to everyone but the army you pick you get everything from the start.

That would be very MMO like. Most people don't have access to all the content in the game, they spend weeks or months unlocking one section of the game, ie one class as they level him up to 80 or whatever. DoW2 didn't something like this with those cosmetic upgrades but I thought the game didn't make that process enjoyable. After the 50th game or so everything felt routine. You didn't have to adapt to new strategies...you'd already seen everything.

If they're just going to ship the same crap with a new coat of paint then don't bother. Either innovate and aim for the stars or go home.

99gamers.com-Game trading site, PC digital trading!
Kickstarter "Game Developer"!

18. Re: THQ On Dawn of War III Jun 15, 2011, 12:55 Verno

I had the same complaints man, it was too much like gamer's first squad based action game. I want them to return to the strategy roots but the game was way too successful as a dumbed down action RPG for them to ignore that market demographic. That's why I say go full out with the action RPG aspects, its not like we have much to lose at this point and the game would be a far more rewarding experience if it wasn't such a genre bender.  

Playing: Dragon Age Inquisition, Far Cry 4, This War of Mine
Watching: The Walking Dead, The Fall, As Above So Below

17. Re: THQ On Dawn of War III Jun 15, 2011, 12:52 Slashman

Verno wrote on Jun 15, 2011, 12:46:
Tumbler wrote on Jun 15, 2011, 12:18:
...this is what the MP experience of DoW2 was. Every patch screwed something up, each race was horribly overpowered at one point in the cycle. If they aren't planning on tossing out everything DoW2 when it comes to MP then I'm already disappointed in DoW3. They need to go back to the drawing board. Who wants to go play more DoW2 at this point?

That's exactly why you don't introduce another area of potential balance issues. If they have enough trouble balancing MP as it is you don't introduce a complex customization system that needs its own babysitting. I'm all for neat things in games man but you never stop to think of how they would be implemented. That's without getting into the fact that I really don't want THQ selling items that would be used in MP and you know that's exactly what would happen.

The problem is that they moved it away from being a RTS in the first place. It didn't need that. I got DOW 2 and DOW 1+expansions in the THQ pack. I played DOW 2 for about 2 missions before I realized that there was no actual strategy involved and that the things I like about RTS games were absent. To me...that's a step backwards.

If I want to play a party-based action RPG, then I can dig up my copy of Dungeon Siege I and II. I want to play an actual RTS.

16. Re: THQ On Dawn of War III Jun 15, 2011, 12:46 Verno

Tumbler wrote on Jun 15, 2011, 12:18:
...this is what the MP experience of DoW2 was. Every patch screwed something up, each race was horribly overpowered at one point in the cycle. If they aren't planning on tossing out everything DoW2 when it comes to MP then I'm already disappointed in DoW3. They need to go back to the drawing board. Who wants to go play more DoW2 at this point?

15. Re: THQ On Dawn of War III Jun 15, 2011, 12:18 Tumbler

Verno wrote on Jun 15, 2011, 11:39:
Every patch would be a huge buff or nerf as players discovered the flavor of the month. They would have to basically redo the entire MP structure for DoW3.

14. Re: THQ On Dawn of War III Jun 15, 2011, 11:59 Whiskers

Jonny wrote on Jun 15, 2011, 11:43:
DOW2 was fun enough, but how about a 4X 40k game? Big sector map, planets to conquer, tech to find, big strategic scope and realtime DOW2 battles. Warhammer Of The Stars, basically.

This would be really cool. I just hope they go back to larger armies. I still play DoW 1 because I enjoy the larger scale battles and tactics. DoW 2 felt too much like watching 3 guys chase each other capturing a point just to have to go back and re-capture the point they just left because the enemy captured it. It was an endless cycle of ring around the pony

13. Re: THQ On Dawn of War III Jun 15, 2011, 11:43 Jonny

DOW2 was fun enough, but how about a 4X 40k game? Big sector map, planets to conquer, tech to find, big strategic scope and realtime DOW2 battles. Warhammer Of The Stars, basically.  

12. Re: THQ On Dawn of War III Jun 15, 2011, 11:39 Verno

Impossible to balance in the kind of game that DoW2 was. Every patch would be a huge buff or nerf as players discovered the flavor of the month. They would have to basically redo the entire MP structure for DoW3. That kind of customization is usually limited to co-op games for a reason, the balance isn't as important in that scenario. It doesn't even really bring anything to the table beyond tinkering with items is kind of...neat I guess? They can do most of that with abilities and do already. Just having effectively more abilities in the form of items is redundant. Like I said, if they're going to do that they might as well go full on with a different type of game.  

11. Re: THQ On Dawn of War III Jun 15, 2011, 11:31 Tumbler

don't like the idea of SP wargear in MP either, it would mess with balance too much and doesn't really bring anything to the table other than "OH NEAT ITEMZ".

Imagine the marine commander, the h2h guy. He starts with a power sword. What if you could change that to a chainsword because you liked that better? (er...maybe I got that backwards) I think he has a bolt pistol as well, what if you could change that to a flamer pistol? (or a melta pistol) I know you can already change it to a plasma pistol with one of those 9 upgrades. So how about letting players pick from a larger pool of upgrades. Make them point based or something so that if the commander takes a kick ass melee weapon to begin with he loses the points he'd need to upgrade to a better anti-vehicle melee weapon later.

I think it'd be easy to balance this stuff. And who wouldn't want to swap out a power fist for a Chain First. It literally is a chainsaw strapped onto a powerfist...oh my god it's so beautiful.

There are also a ton more vehicles. That predator tank that comes out with an autocannon and can be upgraded to las cannons, that thing can equip dual assault cannons, it can equip heavy flamers on the side, it can get armor upgrades...DoW2 is ridiculously rigid in what it will let you do. I want them to blow the doors off this franchise and let players go nuts. I want to see the same level of customization in DoW3 that we see on the tabletop. Let us choose everything.

And give me a God damn vortex grenade. (grenade that opens up a mini black hole, kills everything on contact and you have no control over where it goes after it lands, these were an awesome way to counter high value targets...even your own....)

10. Re: THQ On Dawn of War III Jun 15, 2011, 11:03 Verno

Dawn of War 2 wasnt bad if you play it casually but its too repetitive and lacks depth for extended play in my opinion. I don't like the idea of SP wargear in MP either, it would mess with balance too much and doesn't really bring anything to the table other than "OH NEAT ITEMZ". If they're going to do that then they might as well just go ahead and make a proper Diablo clone.  

29 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo