Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

I recently picked up a big bucket of sunflower seeds, thinking these would be a healthy snack compared with chips and the like, especially given you probably burn off some of the calories in each seed just extracting it from the shell. While they are certainly indeed healthier than chips, I probably should have looked at the label before deciding, as it would be helpful to note that these things are 75% fat (albeit mostly polyunsaturated), but more significant is that while the nutritional information says a 50 gram bag of nuts "only" has 5% of your RDA of sodium, this is actually if you shell by hand and just eat the nut. If you crack them in your mouth like I do, the salt on the outside increases this almost tenfold, supplying well over 1000mg of sodium, which is 45% of your RDA right there.

Salty Links: Thanks Ant and Mike Martinez and Acleacius.
Play: Eukarion Tales 2. Thanks Daniel.
SwordFall Kingdoms.
Dillo Hills.
Link: 8 Comic Book Origins More Tragic Than Batman's.
Science: Big drop in solar activity could mean much cooler Earth.
Netflix FAILS.
Passive Aggressive Co-Workers.
Media: 2011: A Squirrel Oddity.
Workplace Iron Man of the Day.
Taking Your Picture: You're Doing It Wrong.
I DO PARKOUR! NSFW.
Auction: PopCap Charity Auction.

View
62 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

62. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 16, 2011, 14:44 kanniballl

Mr. Tact wrote on Jun 16, 2011, 11:05:
Verno wrote on Jun 16, 2011, 10:50:
When you start eating your own fresh food that you prepared you'll notice that you fill up very quickly and if you eat the right kinds of foods you'll be filled up for longer periods of time.
Verno, this is the only part of your post I wouldn't agree with. It certainly isn't true for me. You know that feeling you have of being "stuffed" when you eat too much? I can reach that point and then 30 minutes later eat a large portion of food. My "full meter" doesn't work well.

Kanniballl, losing 200 lbs when that person is 200 lbs (or more) over what most sane people would consider a normal weight (ie.. something on the high end of the normal of BMI) is not a miracle. Simply someone showing dedication and will power.

I was just throwing that line in.

Because of the literal line, that meant someone on blues literally lost 2,000 (2k) lbs.

I was pointing out that it was a typo or something since 200 lbs is feasible (though still a great achievement). 2000, chances are you'd have organ failure by then if not while trying to lose it.

"Space. It seems to go on and on forever. But then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you."
-Fry, Futurama
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

61. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 16, 2011, 14:39 rist3903

One thing I have found useful is to make sure you are full when you go food shopping.

This makes it a lot easier to pay heed to the shred of willpower I have in the store and helps me pick out much healthier food to have around in the house for the next couple days.

60. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 16, 2011, 13:37 Mr. Tact

Verno wrote on Jun 16, 2011, 12:24:
Another way to look at it - you've accomplished some pretty crazy things already by just having willpower.
One last comment on this subject -- I'll admit to having displayed amazing will power during that year. It was especially amazing given I can pretty much define every major event in my life as being due to a total lack of motivation. I don't know where that will power / motivation came from, but as I suspect is true for most people -- it isn't something readily available to me, unfortunately.

Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

59. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 16, 2011, 13:01 Verno

Fair enough. I was basically trying to say that you have to find something that's not work and it does exist. Being fit and having six pack abs are two very different things by the way, you need to sacrifice a lot to get the latter whereas you can easily be fit with minimal effort. If you convince yourself it's going to be some ridiculous battle then of course you're going to self-bargain and think its too difficult so why bother trying. Like most things being fit is about consistency more than anything else.

Anyways I've info dumped enough for one topic Judging from your responses here I don't think you give yourself enough credit in general. Good luck with whatever you decide to do and congrats on the weight loss, it really is an accomplishment.

Playing: Divinity Original Sin, Infamous Second Son, Madden
Watching: Spartan, Possible Worlds, The Changeling

58. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 16, 2011, 12:37 Mr. Tact

I'd love to be fit and have six-pack abs -- I just have no interest in doing the work to get there. Not eating is much easier than exercising.  

57. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 16, 2011, 12:24 Verno

Your weight is not bad at all for your height and age group. If you don't like fitness then *shrug*, its your life man. It improves a lot of aspects of your life but if you don't see a benefit in them then you won't be motivated to have the willpower to follow through on it. As someone else suggested I'd look into local sports groups, rowing, etc. Generally speaking there is at least one physical fitness activity out there for everyone. The trick is finding it. I like to jog and mountain climb but they're not for everyone and it took me years of trying things to get to that point.

I'm a huge couch potato too but it's not healthy to do it all the time. I just tend to dedicate certain hours and days of the week to other things because variety is the spice of the life in more ways than one. Live longer, look better, meet more people, etc.

Another way to look at it - you've accomplished some pretty crazy things already by just having willpower. Doing a bit of fitness stuff might seem like work at the beginning but it also has the benefit of letting you relax a bit more with the rest of your lifestyle. I do enough cardio that I can have 6-7 cheat meals a week without issue. Someone who only does the bare minimum 30 minutes every second day can probably only get away with half of that. You can also not worry as much about eating out and stuff like that.

I don't drink much pop (I'm supposed to avoid caffeine in all varieties), so I just stick with water and a some lite drink mix (sugar free).

Pop is one to watch. Repeated insulin spikes from the sugar have been linked to a much higher risk of pancreatic cancer in several studies now. Not to mention it tends to be habit forming and a gateway type thing to type 2 diabetes. I try to have one pop a week, there is stuff just as good that has nowhere near the calorie and sugar counts.

This comment was edited on Jun 16, 2011, 12:30.

56. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 16, 2011, 12:15 Mr. Tact

nin wrote on Jun 16, 2011, 12:14:
This "getting old" is horse shit.
Aye. I'll drink a beer to that.

55. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 16, 2011, 12:14 nin

Yeah, I've been switching to yogurt for dinner on some nights (100-200 calories). I don't drink much pop (I'm supposed to avoid caffeine in all varieties), so I just stick with water and a some lite drink mix (sugar free).

This "getting old" is horse shit.

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

54. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 16, 2011, 12:07 Mr. Tact

Nin, it basically comes down to, "Do you want to do it?" If you want to do it, decide to do it, then do it. Many will argue it isn't that simple, but it is.  

53. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 16, 2011, 12:01 nin

Wow, that's pretty amazing! Congrats!

edit: I'm at the point where I have to do something soon. In addition to the slowing metabolism as I grow older, I'm also on a prescription that has a side effect of slowing the metabolism further...not good.

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

52. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 16, 2011, 11:54 Mr. Tact

Oh, and since he asked me to, I'm the person Bats is talking about.

I'm 6'3" and currently 49. When I graduated high school I weighed 150 lbs. When I got out of the military in 1995, I weight about 230 lbs. After that I starting gaining weight, about 1-2 lbs a month. Doesn't sound too bad, except I did that for 5 years. So, starting in 2000, I weighed about 330 lbs. I plateaued there for about 9 years.

In the late spring of 2009 I could tell I was starting to gain weight again -- I needed to buy bigger pants. In June, I finally steeled myself enough to step on the scale. It read 375. Somewhere in my brain a bell went off. Time to do something about this. I signed up for a commercial meal diet plan. It doesn't really matter which one, I'm sure any of them would have worked. The important thing is I actually had the will power to stick with it.

On 7/1/2009, I started the program weighing in at 375. On 7/1/2010, I weighed 217. I lost 158 lbs in 12 months, completely through intake reduction. Never took my lazy, couch potato, movie watching, game playing, desk job having ass out of the sitting position. Well, except to walk to the fridge, car, bathroom, etc...

Now, nearly a year later I am maintaining, bouncing between 215-225. I want to make a second push down to 180, but I haven't been able to muster the will power to do it. And truthfully, I've come to think of the weight loss as a correction of a mistake more than any kind of accomplishment.

And of course, while I am healthier due to the weight loss it doesn't mean I'm fit. I'm not. But, meh -- whatever. Truthfully, it's pretty meaningless to me. I know it's "good for me" to have lost the weight, but it hasn't changed my life in any practical way -- except altering the percentages for how long I might live. *shrug*

51. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 16, 2011, 11:13 Verno

Mr. Tact wrote on Jun 16, 2011, 11:05:
Verno, this is the only part of your post I wouldn't agree with. It certainly isn't true for me. You know that feeling you have of being "stuffed" when you eat too much? I can reach that point and then 30 minutes later eat a large portion of food. My "full meter" doesn't work well.

Without knowing all of your specifics like height, weight, BMI and etc I would say that you probably have a higher metabolic rate than most people. Try spreading out your meals more and eating more protein than normal. Generally speaking if you have about 100g of a non-starchy vegetable with each meal it goes a long way to feeling full. Try getting your fiber from something like Oat Bran, I find it helps me feel full if I eat one serving with my first meal and another serving in the afternoon. Another trick is to frontload your carbs in the morning with your first meal, I like to sautee potatos as its fast and tasty. A typical first meal for me (I have a high metabolism like you) looks like this:

3-4 eggs
Half a serving of Greek Yogurt
100g steamed spinach
60g salsa or diced tomato
One serving Oat Bran
One glass of ruby red grapefruit juice

Make sure every meal has a big protein component, at least 30%. Chicken and eggs are the easiest to prepare ahead of time I find. Then after that I basically just eat smaller meals every 3-4 hours and snack on fruit after my last meal at about 6pm.

If none of that works then give the green tea trick a shot. Having a cup of green tea tends to satiate where water and food don't for some reason.

Kanniballl, losing 200 lbs when that person is 200 lbs (or more) over what most sane people would consider a normal weight (ie.. something on the high end of the normal of BMT) is not a miracle. Simply someone showing dedication and will power.

Yeah exactly. There are no shortcuts. Pills, fad diets, little TV gizmos and gimmicky foods do not work. Most of the time people just lose a lot of water and attribute that weight loss in the short term. That or you just end up starving yourself accidentally then rebound the other way into binging after you finish the fad. There is a billion dollar industry in selling shitty solutions to fat people, don't fall for it.

Desire, discipline, dedication are the cornerstones. That Counter-Strike clan ripped off its tagline from a gym for a reason

This comment was edited on Jun 16, 2011, 11:20.

50. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 16, 2011, 11:05 Mr. Tact

Verno wrote on Jun 16, 2011, 10:50:
When you start eating your own fresh food that you prepared you'll notice that you fill up very quickly and if you eat the right kinds of foods you'll be filled up for longer periods of time.

Kanniballl, losing 200 lbs when that person is 200 lbs (or more) over what most sane people would consider a normal weight (ie.. something on the high end of the normal of BMI) is not a miracle. Simply someone showing dedication and will power.

This comment was edited on Jun 16, 2011, 11:14.

49. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 16, 2011, 10:50 Verno

This isn't really aimed at anyone individually, just more a general post on things I've learned over the past ten years about fitness and diet. Learn from my fuck ups!

If you can't run, use the elliptical, its low impact and gives you a great cardio workout. If you want something more metabolic, do burpees, squats and incline pushups. Losing weight is all about your diet, cardio and strength training just help you build muscle and burn calories. Cardio and strength stuff helps your confidence level a great deal and looking better is a great incentive to continue with your diet too. Neither of those things will make a difference if your diet sucks though.

Most people eat 125-200% of their RDA in carbohydrates without knowing it. They also have ridiculously high sodium intake because they are too fat conscious. Fat is a good thing, your body needs it and it gives food flavor. When you see a fat free food it is not a miracle of modern cooking. They have to get the flavor from somewhere and sodium is the most common culprit.

Eat more fresh foods, cook stuff yourself. Eat leaner meats like lean steak, pork and chicken. Learn how to steam and dice vegetables. Cook with herbs and spices to add flavor to otherwise dull things.

Most processed foods and fast foods have one thing in common other than ingredients - they are designed to make you eat as much as possible and return to eat more. You eat and eat to fill yourself up but never really feel satisfied. In fact many people only stop eating because they feel gross or guilty at their intake.

When you start eating your own fresh food that you prepared you'll notice that you fill up very quickly and if you eat the right kinds of foods you'll be filled up for longer periods of time. An easy trick that works for most people with bad eating habits is to eat 4-5 meals a day instead of 3. You will binge a lot less and have higher natural energy throughout the day as a result of doing this. Cut a chicken breast in half after cooking, thats two meals. Add some pesto sauce, some carrots and bam that is a meal. Prepare meals ahead of time, I like to BBQ 6 chicken breasts after soaking them in lemon juice and thats like 3 days of meals for $20. Eating well doesn't have to be super expensive.

I wish I did, I never have. I have never gotten the "energy" other people seem to get from regular exercise. Nor do I "feel better" when I have exercised on a regular basis. It's always been something I didn't care to do or enjoy -- and when I did do it, it was just something that took up 1.5 hours a day of my life.

You have a vitamin or dietary problem I would bet on. The hormonal/endorphin response in the body and brain is something that's pretty much universal with exercise. There could also be some psychological factors. I would chat with a qualified personal trainer and/or your doctor about it. It's definitely not normal and should be looked into.

This comment was edited on Jun 16, 2011, 10:56.

48. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 16, 2011, 09:23 kanniballl

xXBatmanXx wrote on Jun 16, 2011, 02:13:
blablabla.

There is someone here who has lost a TON of weight - literally....we used to e-mail about it...you still around?

Should tell your story, it is very inspirational and common sensical.

You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

1 ton = 2,000 lbs
with different "types" of tons being even more

A person losing 2,000 lbs on Blues, I don't think that's happened.

200 lbs would be a miracle, an insane achievement. But that's only 1/10th of a ton.

"Space. It seems to go on and on forever. But then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you."
-Fry, Futurama

47. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 16, 2011, 02:13 xXBatmanXx

blablabla.

There is someone here who has lost a TON of weight - literally....we used to e-mail about it...you still around?

Should tell your story, it is very inspirational and common sensical.

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad

46. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 15, 2011, 23:56 rist3903

I recently picked up a big bucket of sunflower seeds

I find it to be a good rule of thumb to avoid food that comes in buckets.

45. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 15, 2011, 23:09 Enahs

Mr. Tact wrote on Jun 15, 2011, 22:32:
Running hurts me more than it helps me. Non-impact for me -- if and when I decide to punish myself with exercise.

Try some sport with friends. If you can find something you enjoy great. Everybody has different taste so I totally understand not like working out. See previous comment about hot girls.

I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally.
- W. C. Fields

44. Re: Exercise -- two four letter words. Jun 15, 2011, 23:07 Enahs

Mr. Tact wrote on Jun 15, 2011, 20:44:
Enahs wrote on Jun 15, 2011, 19:41:
I personally like working out, I enjoy it. It is fun. I also enjoy eating.
I wish I did, I never have. I have never gotten the "energy" other people seem to get from regular exercise. Nor do I "feel better" when I have exercised on a regular basis. It's always been something I didn't care to do or enjoy -- and when I did do it, it was just something that took up 1.5 hours a day of my life.

Go to a gym and at a time when they're a lot of hot girls around working out in tight sexy outfits sweating. You will enjoy working out then!

Running's free, so there's no real excuse for *not* exercising. I got myself pretty overweight following a year of surgeries/recovery and eating a lot of incredibly unhealthy food, but unless you're absolutely morbidly obese there's nothing stopping anyone running every day.

I injuries my knee many years back. If I run for more then 2 times a week for longer then 30 minutes I get serious knee pain. What is odd is that racquet ball and tennis for 3+ hours does not cause the problem. So I do a lot of elliptical at the gym and rowing for cardio. Does not hurt my knee.

I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally.
- W. C. Fields

43. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 15, 2011, 22:32 Mr. Tact

Running hurts me more than it helps me. Non-impact for me -- if and when I decide to punish myself with exercise.  

62 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo