Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Ships Ahoy - Alice: Madness Returns

Electronic Arts announces that Alice: Madness Returns is now available in North American stores, offering Spicy Horse's long-awaited sequel to American McGee's Alice. Here's a bit:

Heralding the return of American McGee’s interpretation of the classic Alice in Wonderland fiction, Alice: Madness Returns delivers a sinister and beautifully twisted world for gamers to explore on the Xbox 360® videogame and entertainment system, PlayStation®3 computer entertainment system and PC.

“Spicy Horse is proud to bring players back to the beautiful yet dark world we have created for Alice” A sequel to the original PC hit American McGee’s Alice™, the new title finds a grown-up Alice finally free from Rutledge Asylum for the Insane, but still grappling with the horror and survivor's guilt of the tragic fire that killed her family 11 years earlier. Alice returns to Wonderland to uncover the truth about her past. But what was once a place of refuge has now been transformed into a sinister nightmare, and madness threatens to overcome both Alice and Wonderland. Alice: Madness Returns builds upon the distinct art style of the original game, but with new visuals, story and game design.

View
32 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

32. Re: Ships Ahoy - Alice: Madness Returns Jun 15, 2011, 17:39 Jerykk

gregs4163 wrote on Jun 15, 2011, 09:24:
Get it on "Gamersgate" DRM free. I buy a lot of games there, great service. In addition you gain points (Blue coins) with every purchase that you can then use to buy other games. I would rather buy from them other than Steam if the game I want is available from them which is usually 95% of the time.

GamersGate has no DRM whatsoever? So, I can download a game, install it anywhere I want, not use any GamersGate software running the background and burn the game to disc as a backup?

As for Alice, I played a bit of it and it seems pretty fun, though the controls can feel a bit iffy. Specifically, the dodge move doesn't seem to work consistently and sometimes it sends you flying in random directions. Also, the game is capped at 30 FPS by default. Luckily, you can change that by editing AliceEngine.ini and changing bSmoothFramerate to FALSE. One thing you can't change is the super laggy camera movement. You can't even change the sensitivity, which is low by default. It's not a game-breaking issue since this isn't a shooter but it's annoying nonetheless.

EDIT: A quick check at http://www.gamersgate.com/info/faq shows that GamersGate does indeed have DRM, both its own proprietary DRM and the DRM included by the publisher. The GamersGate installer requires online authentication whenever you install. GOG does not require any kind of authentication and removes any publisher DRM that may have been on the game. GOG 1, GamersGate 0.

This comment was edited on Jun 17, 2011, 00:48.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

31. Re: Ships Ahoy - Alice: Madness Returns Jun 15, 2011, 16:53 nin

bobbyric wrote on Jun 15, 2011, 16:03:
30 posts and not a single impression of the game... Right...

And if EA was bright enough to put it on Steam, there would be.

Oh well.

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

30. Re: Ships Ahoy - Alice: Madness Returns Jun 15, 2011, 16:03 bobbyric

30 posts and not a single impression of the game... Right...  

29. Re: Ships Ahoy - Alice: Madness Returns Jun 15, 2011, 14:10 Optional nickname

Jerykk wrote on Jun 14, 2011, 22:20:
Oh dear. EA really wants to lose money, don't they?

Boycotting EA, is like Boycotting Walmart. You will not buy from them, thinking you are part of a greater cause (although correct), meanwhile, 50,000,000 alien life forms that are rampant on earth today will crush you to shop there.

28. Re: Ships Ahoy - Alice: Madness Returns Jun 15, 2011, 12:54 mch

mag wrote on Jun 15, 2011, 03:56:
Is it just me, or did this come out of nowhere? I've only seen like one screencap of it to date.

Not just you, I had no idea this was even close to release.

If EA insists on restricting this to Origin, no sale here. Shame, I was mildly interested.

PSN: CaseDesignate

27. Re: Ships Ahoy - Alice: Madness Returns Jun 15, 2011, 12:47 StingingVelvet

Good God you guys are so focused on my supposed Steam hate I can't even fucking debate with you.  

26. Re: Crysis 2 Steam Crisis, Origin Exclusivity Planned? Jun 15, 2011, 09:32 Verno

Slashman wrote on Jun 15, 2011, 09:22:

That's the general gist of it. EA isn't trying to equalize the digital distro market and make it better for everyone by driving competition. They just want more money from digital sales of THEIR games. That, in itself, isn't a crime. But they are surely not trying to provide an overall better digital distro service for all purchasers of games.

If this was Impulse or Direct2Drive making big improvements to their service, I'd call THAT good competition. This, I trust much less.

Exactly. People can argue about Valves motives all day but the end result is usually an overall win for the consumer, whether its in price, features or convenience. Can we say the same for EA? They didn't even have the decency to make a competitive product first. They should have bought the Xfire assets from Yahoo.

Playing: Alien Isolation, Legend of Grimrock 2, Super Mario 3D World
Watching: A Good Marriage, The Knick, Gotham

25. Re: Ships Ahoy - Alice: Madness Returns Jun 15, 2011, 09:24 gregs4163

Get it on "Gamersgate" DRM free. I buy a lot of games there, great service. In addition you gain points (Blue coins) with every purchase that you can then use to buy other games. I would rather buy from them other than Steam if the game I want is available from them which is usually 95% of the time.  

24. Re: Crysis 2 Steam Crisis, Origin Exclusivity Planned? Jun 15, 2011, 09:22 Slashman

Jerykk wrote on Jun 15, 2011, 06:12:
Fryz is right. The last thing we need are different publishers making their own digital distribution services (each with their own mandatory software and DRM schemes) and making their games exclusive to said services. While that may improve per-sale profits for publishers, it just creates a hassle for consumers.

If you dislike Steam exclusivity for Valve games, I don't know why you'd like Origin exclusivity for EA games.

Now, if Origin offers DRM-free versions of all EA games and offers these games at lower prices (to account for the fact that they get 100% of the profits), I'm all for it. Unfortunately, that's not what they're going to do.

That's the general gist of it. EA isn't trying to equalize the digital distro market and make it better for everyone by driving competition. They just want more money from digital sales of THEIR games. That, in itself, isn't a crime. But they are surely not trying to provide an overall better digital distro service for all purchasers of games.

If this was Impulse or Direct2Drive making big improvements to their service, I'd call THAT good competition. This, I trust much less.

23. Re: Ships Ahoy - Alice: Madness Returns Jun 15, 2011, 09:09 Verno

StingingVelvet wrote on Jun 15, 2011, 02:35:

Tell that to Valve, who basically built their service by making it the only way to play Valve games.

You forget that Valve built the digital market from scratch and Steamworks technology allows them to sell products built for Steam on other services. Other companies might not like it because of the other layers to Steam but its there. Valve also still works pretty closely with retail, in fact a huge chunk of their sales still comes from there.

If EA wants to play ball then there are a number of ways to do that don't mess with the consumer. Steam is vulnerable in many ways but companies continually fail to exploit it time and time again. Instead they pull stupid stunts like this that just infuriate people. This is the kind of thing you do when there is no DD market to speak of and you are trying to establish one. You don't mess with one of the largest sources of sales on the platform you're trying to court. BF3 has a lot of promise to outshine Call of Duty this year but stunts like this could put a dent in that.

Origin as a service doesn't even have feature parity with Steam. If they were actually serious about this then they could start by making the product attractive to consumers.

Playing: Alien Isolation, Legend of Grimrock 2, Super Mario 3D World
Watching: A Good Marriage, The Knick, Gotham

22. Re: Crysis 2 Steam Crisis, Origin Exclusivity Planned? Jun 15, 2011, 06:12 Jerykk

Fryz is right. The last thing we need are different publishers making their own digital distribution services (each with their own mandatory software and DRM schemes) and making their games exclusive to said services. While that may improve per-sale profits for publishers, it just creates a hassle for consumers.

If you dislike Steam exclusivity for Valve games, I don't know why you'd like Origin exclusivity for EA games.

Now, if Origin offers DRM-free versions of all EA games and offers these games at lower prices (to account for the fact that they get 100% of the profits), I'm all for it. Unfortunately, that's not what they're going to do.

21. Re: Crysis 2 Steam Crisis, Origin Exclusivity Planned? Jun 15, 2011, 04:40 Fryz

Tell that to Valve, who basically built their service by making it the only way to play Valve games.

You are so short-sighted it's almost amazing.

Valve releases, what, one game every few years? How many PC games do EA release every year?

One of these things is not like the other.

Valve created Steam because nobody else was willing to create a service that would accommodate what they wanted to do with distribution, patching, content updates and connectivity. Whether you like it or not is irrelevant, that was their intent.

EA is railroading Origin down people's throats because they've already failed four times at creating a digital store and want to try and control the digital distribution market for their games. If you are naive enough to honestly believe that they won't be pulling their titles from D2D, Impulse, Gamers Gate, etc you're going to be in for a big surprise. They are one of the biggest publishers of mainstream PC games, this will absolutely destroy the other digital distros. Especially if some of the others, like Ubisoft, see the success and follow suit.

So no, Velvet, this will not lead to more competition with Steam. All this will do will create a console-like environment of exclusives and multiple platforms with little reason to offer price incentives once they've established their audience.

You are so blinded by your dislike for Steam you're not seeing the big picture.

20. Re: Ships Ahoy - Alice: Madness Returns Jun 15, 2011, 03:56 mag

Is it just me, or did this come out of nowhere? I've only seen like one screencap of it to date.  

19. Re: Ships Ahoy - Alice: Madness Returns Jun 15, 2011, 03:24 Slashman

StingingVelvet wrote on Jun 15, 2011, 02:35:
Jerykk wrote on Jun 14, 2011, 23:33:
Unless Origin offers lower prices and DRM-free games, I have no reason to use it over Steam. EA should be trying to gain customers by offering a better service, not by making their games exclusive to their service.

Interesting. Of course, there was no other digital distribution alternative at the time that Steam came out. And even though you can't buy Valve games from Impulse or Direct2Drive, Valve made their platform open to any other game developer who wanted to sell their games digitally.

I don't see EA doing that anytime soon.

I suppose time will tell how well this works out for EA.

18. Re: Ships Ahoy - Alice: Madness Returns Jun 15, 2011, 02:35 StingingVelvet

Unless Origin offers lower prices and DRM-free games, I have no reason to use it over Steam. EA should be trying to gain customers by offering a better service, not by making their games exclusive to their service.

17. Re: Ships Ahoy - Alice: Madness Returns Jun 15, 2011, 02:01 KilrathiAce

I assume people who say Origin is great change also love to pay full prices even months after release and having nothing close to what steam frequent sales offer them. Ahh yes. You may as well send some money in envelope to EA if you like throwing money away.

Oh btw, no Alice on steam no buying options for me.

"On 2646.215 I myself attacked & destroyed TCS Tiger's Claw in my Jalthi heavy fighter"
Bakhtosh Redclaw Nar Kiranka

16. Re: Ships Ahoy - Alice: Madness Returns Jun 15, 2011, 01:36 Slashman

StingingVelvet wrote on Jun 14, 2011, 23:24:
Slashman wrote on Jun 14, 2011, 22:57:
StingingVelvet wrote on Jun 14, 2011, 22:52:

I welcome it. Steam is too big.

Rotfl

Great counter-argument, I was truly put in my place.

Oh my bad, I wasn't aware that there was some unspoken rule that I had to bring up a counter-argument if I found your posts amusing. I'll try to remember that.

In any case, everyone and their dog knows how you feel about Steam. I'm not sure what I'd gain by trying to point out that Direct2Drive, Gamer's Gate, Impulse and several other digital distributors haven't made a dent in it. I can't see that EA will make a significant difference either.

For what it's worth, I'm glad your paranoia over having a large, dominant digital distribution service will be assuaged some by EA's attempt to branch out with their own.

15. Re: Ships Ahoy - Alice: Madness Returns Jun 15, 2011, 01:10 Kajetan

Yes. They should. I would welcome that. But EA won't do it, because they don't have to. Enough people will accept Origin (my toe nails are still curling when i type this name) as it is, because they SO want to play this game XYZ. Gamers are mostly sad and pathetic addicts.

14. Re: Ships Ahoy - Alice: Madness Returns Jun 14, 2011, 23:33 Jerykk

13. Re: Ships Ahoy - Alice: Madness Returns Jun 14, 2011, 23:24 StingingVelvet

Slashman wrote on Jun 14, 2011, 22:57:
StingingVelvet wrote on Jun 14, 2011, 22:52:

I welcome it. Steam is too big.

Rotfl

Great counter-argument, I was truly put in my place.

32 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo