Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Free-to-Play Games on Steam

Steam News announces the arrival of free-to-play games on Steam, as they now offer five such titles, which include support for Steam Wallet micro-transactions. The five titles are Alliance of Valiant Arms, Champions Online: Free for All, Forsaken World, Global Agenda: Free Agent, and Spiral Knights, and Valve has cooked up a promotion to run over the next week as an incentive to not purchase these games from them, as opposed to not purchasing them elsewhere:

Beginning tomorrow (Weds) with Spiral Knights and concluding Sunday with AVA, each of the five launch titles will offer exclusive in-game content to those who try the "F2P game of the day" on Steam. In game transactions in all of the titles will be supported by Steam's micro-transaction backend system that is available to Steamworks partners and currently used in Valve's Team Fortress 2.

View
18 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

18. Re: Free-to-Play Games on Steam Jun 14, 2011, 22:03 TheDagda509

That would rulz....  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

17. Re: Free-to-Play Games on Steam Jun 14, 2011, 21:07 eRe4s3r

Champions Online F2P also restricts travel powers, which if you have been following these games, is like the main feature of the game. (imo)

Generally, i don't think any of those 5 f2p games are really worth it, which is really the point. The only reason they are f2p is because they want to hide that to actually play on a level of a subscription mmo you'd have to pay twice as much, just in smaller parts.

Global Agenda is just PvP content anyway with an added pseudo PvE option which is really just the tutorial, and without subscription you don't earn any rewards for PvP, so you might as well forget the game. Its a grind to get to PvP and after that, you can't compete without paying.

Alliance of Valiant Arms is a fairly generic shooter though which you can well enough play without paying at all, question is why would you do that, if you want shooters, you'd be better off with BC2 or Cod

16. Re: Free-to-Play Games on Steam Jun 14, 2011, 20:16 Esoteric

I hope Hellgate London shows up there eventually. I actually really enjoyed the open beta they had recently, never played it the first time around.  

15. Re: Free-to-Play Games on Steam Jun 14, 2011, 20:10 Slashman

I think Global Agenda might actually be worth checking out. It doesn't sound like it has that many restrictions and its more of an online multiplayer game than an MMO.  

14. Re: Free-to-Play Games on Steam Jun 14, 2011, 19:10 CJ_Parker

kthx dude  

13. Re: Free-to-Play Games on Steam Jun 14, 2011, 18:38 Endo

CJ_Parker wrote on Jun 14, 2011, 18:23:
So is any of that free shit any good or is it bad like most free shit?

Champions Online is basically a newer, less-fun version of City of Heroes. And of course, your free account is a lot more restricted than a subscription account. (You can't, for example, put together your own power set. You have to use one of a small handful pre-selected for free accounts.)

Forsaken World is just another typical Asian pay-to-win item-mall MMO from the same company that brought us Perfect World.

Spiral Knights is a fun game, but as I said before you're either going to severely limit your play time or you're going to pay more than you would for a subscription MMO.

Haven't tried Alliance of Valiant Arms or Global Agenda, but I'd imagine they're just more "free" MMOs.

12. Re: Free-to-Play Games on Steam Jun 14, 2011, 18:23 CJ_Parker

So is any of that free shit any good or is it bad like most free shit?

11. Re: Free-to-Play Games on Steam Jun 14, 2011, 18:17 Endo

That's cool.

Gotta say though, Spiral Knights isn't exactly "free to play", unless you're content with a max of about an hour per day of actual play time. If you play a more typical amount, you're looking at more like $20-30 a month.

10. Re: Free-to-Play Games on Steam Jun 14, 2011, 17:31 |oR|jonvall

Mist wrote on Jun 14, 2011, 15:06:
Need to get APB on there, I'd even pay for that game if I could use the steam wallet instead of their terrible system.

I agree! I'd love to see APB on there too! G1's system isn't that bad actually....I had no problems whatsoever buying stuff I wanted.....but agree that it would be better buying through Steam....plus all my friends could join on me and so on with Steam.

9. Re: Free-to-Play Games on Steam Jun 14, 2011, 17:14 MxxCon

from https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=8795-TIDH-0077
  • Will I need a credit card to play?

• No, there are no upfront obligations to download and play Free-to-Play games, however you will need a supported payment method to fund your Steam Wallet if you wish to purchase items or content for the game.

• Will my Free-to-Play account have limitations or restrictions?

• Any Steam Account that does not own a purchased game or have a funded Steam Wallet is considered a "Limited User." We have chosen to limit access to some community features as a means of protecting our customers from those who abuse Steam merely for purposes such as spamming and phishing. For more information, click here.

Individual Free-to-Play games may choose to place limitations on accounts. Please see the respective games Steam Store page for more information.

8. Re: Free-to-Play Games on Steam Jun 14, 2011, 17:01 WyldKat

That's pretty cool. I'll be checking out Champions for sure since I've fallen for STO.  

7. Re: Free-to-Play Games on Steam Jun 14, 2011, 16:59 JohnBirshire

Dev wrote on Jun 14, 2011, 16:29:
    Blue,
    I love how you put that. "not purchase these games from them, as opposed to not purchasing them elsewhere"
    LOL

Oh...snap...

6. Re: Free-to-Play Games on Steam Jun 14, 2011, 16:29 Dev

Blue,
    I love how you put that. "not purchase these games from them, as opposed to not purchasing them elsewhere"
    LOL

5. Re: Free-to-Play Games on Steam Jun 14, 2011, 15:49 Vazz

I'm glad to see steam adding free games. I'd like to see Anarchy Online on there personally.  

4. Re: Free-to-Play Games on Steam Jun 14, 2011, 15:43 jacobvandy

sauron wrote on Jun 14, 2011, 15:28:
    These look OK, but there are probably better MMOs out there that use the F2P model with micro-transactions.

Most notably LOTRO, which has tons of atmosphere and backstory, a giant campaign and very large playerbase.

Yes, but since it's better and more successful, they sure as heck don't need to put their game on Steam and give Valve a cut of their micro-transactions.

3. Re: Free-to-Play Games on Steam Jun 14, 2011, 15:28 sauron

These look OK, but there are probably better MMOs out there that use the F2P model with micro-transactions.

Most notably LOTRO, which has tons of atmosphere and backstory, a giant campaign and very large playerbase.

Kittens!

2. Re: Free-to-Play Games on Steam Jun 14, 2011, 15:26 Prez

Nice move. I might give Champions a whirl.  

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
    - Mahatma Gandhi

1. Re: Free-to-Play Games on Steam Jun 14, 2011, 15:06 Mist

Need to get APB on there, I'd even pay for that game if I could use the steam wallet instead of their terrible system.  

18 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
    < Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo