Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Quote of the Day

"If it were not for digital distribution we would no longer be doing PC games. Itís as simple as this." -- Bohemia Interactive boss Marek Spanel. Thanks VG247.

View
18 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

18. Re: Quote of the Day Jun 14, 2011, 23:45 Sepharo

Hyatus wrote on Jun 14, 2011, 23:11:
Sepharo wrote on Jun 14, 2011, 22:21:
I have an apparently rare boxed copy of FF7 for PC in a trapezoid box.

It's got to be the only game in my physical collection worth anything to a collector.

I have one of those still. It's actually worth something?

People are regularly selling it on eBay for $60-200 depending on the quality. There is never a lot available at once but always a few when I check every couple of years or so

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

17. Re: Quote of the Day Jun 14, 2011, 23:11 Hyatus

Sepharo wrote on Jun 14, 2011, 22:21:

It's got to be the only game in my physical collection worth anything to a collector.

I have one of those still. It's actually worth something?

16. Re: Quote of the Day Jun 14, 2011, 22:21 Sepharo

killer_roach wrote on Jun 14, 2011, 19:32:
The big boxes wasn't so much the issue as it was the damn trapezoidal boxes...

15. Re: Quote of the Day Jun 14, 2011, 19:46 Dades

Most of the sales are on old stuff that you could also get cheaper or almost as cheap on amazon as well. Obviously that is not always the case though, Steam does have the occasional deal amazon doesn't match.

Then you'd have to wait for it to arrive. You usually get it cheap on Steam and don't have to wait. If you're a price conscious shopper then it doesn't really matter where you buy anything, it's more about the features and not having to wait for a box to arrive is a big one to some people. People also like having their games easily accessible no matter where they are and boxed copies don't facilitate that. Those things might not matter to you but obviously a great deal of people value them. There are plenty of places to buy pc games, both digital and B/M so it's not like it matters much. Everyone is accommodated right now, the market has never been this good for the consumer. Often times I can get brand new games a few months after release for $20-30 which makes being a backlog gamer much cheaper.

14. Re: Quote of the Day Jun 14, 2011, 19:32 killer_roach

Jerykk wrote on Jun 14, 2011, 19:28:
I liked big boxes. They looked cool and were great for collectors. DVD cases are far less interesting. The only reason I still buy physical discs is because they install faster than digital downloads.

The big boxes wasn't so much the issue as it was the damn trapezoidal boxes...

Speaking of the big boxes, though, still holding onto my collector's edition of Daggerfall. That bastard falls off your shelf, it might break your foot.

13. Re: Quote of the Day Jun 14, 2011, 19:28 Jerykk

I liked big boxes. They looked cool and were great for collectors. DVD cases are far less interesting. The only reason I still buy physical discs is because they install faster than digital downloads.

I bought The Witcher 2 on Steam a few days ago. Only after did I realise I hate RPGs. I can't stand the hokey stories.

What's so hokey about RPG stories? And how are said stories hokier than the stories in other genres?

12. Re: Quote of the Day Jun 14, 2011, 19:25 killer_roach

Honestly, the main reason I went more or less all digital for PC gaming? No uniformity in boxes. Makes keeping a lot of them an absolute pain. They're better now, but we all probably have horror stories from back in the day *glares at Bungie and Eidos in particular*  

11. Re: Quote of the Day Jun 14, 2011, 19:16 StingingVelvet

Dades wrote on Jun 14, 2011, 16:40:
Yeah, I save so much money buying on amazon it's insane, yet people always say "Steam is so cheap bro!" Baffles me.

People are usually referring to steam sales when they say that, not new game pricing. There is also the instant access factor which has tangible value to most people.

Most of the sales are on old stuff that you could also get cheaper or almost as cheap on amazon as well. Obviously that is not always the case though, Steam does have the occasional deal amazon doesn't match.

Still, I think your later point is the real reason. For many people they have switched over to digital and there's no looking back, even if they are paying more. I posted in another forum's bargain thread about FEAR 3 being only $25 on amazon for pre-order a while back ($45 with $20 gift cert) and most people were like "wow wish that was on Steam" and what-not.

10. Re: Quote of the Day Jun 14, 2011, 17:17 Dmitri_M

I bought The Witcher 2 on Steam a few days ago. Only after did I realise I hate RPGs. I can't stand the hokey stories. Can't do anything with this digital copy now. 49 Euros gone. Steam is a disease.  

9. Re: Quote of the Day Jun 14, 2011, 16:40 Dades

Yeah, I save so much money buying on amazon it's insane, yet people always say "Steam is so cheap bro!" Baffles me.

People are usually referring to steam sales when they say that, not new game pricing. There is also the instant access factor which has tangible value to most people.

8. Re: Quote of the Day Jun 14, 2011, 16:20 StingingVelvet

Vazz wrote on Jun 14, 2011, 15:45:
I only buy retail except when steam has good $10 and under sales. Amazon always has the best prices and I like my boxed copies.

In any case if a game is digital delivery only I will still buy it, but I much prefer a box. I also think that killing the box has negative effects companies don't realize. Resale, collecting, shopping at a store, holding something you buy in your hands and feeling like you own it... these things can boost sales. These things are important to large swaths of people.

7. Re: Quote of the Day Jun 14, 2011, 15:45 Vazz

I only buy retail except when steam has good $10 and under sales. Amazon always has the best prices and I like my boxed copies.  

6. Re: Quote of the Day Jun 14, 2011, 14:44 Hyatus

Dmitri_M wrote on Jun 14, 2011, 13:05:
Don't even think to look at the boxes when I'm in a store that stocks them.

Ain't that the truth. Last time I checked, my local stores had a handful of new AAA titles(which were cheaper on Steam), an assload of Popcap(and the ilk) games and Diablo II(still surprised this game is sold).

Shelf-space deals with retail stores helped pave the way to the digital revolution.

5. Re: Quote of the Day Jun 14, 2011, 13:05 Dmitri_M

Bohemia would no longer be doing PC games if they could get their titles on X-box

I would not buy PC games at all if I didn't have that annoying Steam icon running. I never purchase games retail. Don't even think to look at the boxes when I'm in a store that stocks them. I buy 2 or 3 digital releases a month but never finish them.

Ironically the games I do play consistently enough are a few years old, some a decade. There are few new titles I bother with. Though I keep sinking money into it wishing for something new that becomes a personal classic.

4. Re: Quote of the Day Jun 14, 2011, 11:40 Creston

Frijoles wrote on Jun 14, 2011, 10:47:
If not for digital distribution, I would not be buying nearly as many games as I have been buying. On the contrary, I'd probably be retired on an island somewhere. Now I'm off to look at a list of games I'll never play due to a lack of time.

Sigh

/looks at his own list.
//84 games and counting...

Creston

3. Re: Quote of the Day Jun 14, 2011, 10:57 ASeven

He's putting it bluntly but it is true, if not for the widespread adoption of digital distribution by PC gamers and the PC today would have far less games and certainly no indie scene to talk about.  

2. Re: Quote of the Day Jun 14, 2011, 10:51 nin

If not for digital distribution, I would not be buying nearly as many games as I have been buying. On the contrary, I'd probably be retired on an island somewhere. Now I'm off to look at a list of games I'll never play due to a lack of time.

Ain't that the truth! I think my list of Steam games is somewhere around 160-170, and with their midweek and weekend sales, it shows no signs of slowing.

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

1. Re: Quote of the Day Jun 14, 2011, 10:47 Frijoles

18 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo