Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Bethesda Hacked

The Bethesda Blog reveals that Bethesda's sites were the latest victims in the recent rash of data breaches on gaming websites. Here's word:

Over the past weekend, a hacker group attempted an unlawful intrusion of our websites to gain access to data. We believe we have taken appropriate action to protect our data against these attacks. While no personal financial information or credit card data was obtained, the hackers may have gained access to some user names, email addresses, and/or passwords. As a precaution, we recommend that all our fans immediately change passwords on all our sites ó including our community forums, statistics site, and here on the blog.

If your username/email address/password is similar to what you use on other sites, we recommend changing the password at those sites as well. As we donít know what further plans the hackers may have, we suggest that you keep an eye out for suspicious emails and account activity.

View
22 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

22. Re: Bethesda Hacked Jun 14, 2011, 09:04 Dev

MrGrosser wrote on Jun 14, 2011, 08:42:
LittleMe wrote on Jun 13, 2011, 22:22:
I'm about five hours in. Nice game. Did you get to the honey badger quest yet? I've explored the whole area and can't find the item.

There isn't a honey badger quest, because honey badger doesn't give a shit...
ROTFLOL.

For some reason that video tickled my funny bone. And your comment made me LOL.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

21. Re: Bethesda Hacked Jun 14, 2011, 08:42 MrGrosser

LittleMe wrote on Jun 13, 2011, 22:22:
I'm about five hours in. Nice game. Did you get to the honey badger quest yet? I've explored the whole area and can't find the item.

There isn't a honey badger quest, because honey badger doesn't give a shit...

This comment was edited on Jun 14, 2011, 08:48.

20. Re: Bethesda Hacked Jun 14, 2011, 07:58 OldScho0l

yuastnav wrote on Jun 14, 2011, 03:36:
Well, after they announced that Consoles are the lead platform for Skyrim I really can't feel bad for them. Much to the contrary; in fact I think I'll laugh uncontrollably until I pass out.

Me too! Making a game on 7-8 year old tech. Shame on them!

19. Re: Bethesda Hacked Jun 14, 2011, 07:51 OldScho0l

Ruffiana wrote on Jun 13, 2011, 21:34:
Probably trying to steal some horse armor. Ba-DUM-DUMP *rimshot*

LMAO!!!!

18. Re: Bethesda Hacked Jun 14, 2011, 07:15 El Pit

Paranoid Jack wrote on Jun 13, 2011, 23:15:
Over the past two years about two dozen business that have my info have been hacked. From banks, to health insurace companies, and of course game sites. This shit is out of hand...

Oh, don't be paranoid, Jack. Oops, wait...

Consoles? I owned two: a Pong clone and an Atari 2600. And that's it.

17. Re: Bethesda Hacked Jun 14, 2011, 03:54 Theo

starmonkey wrote on Jun 14, 2011, 03:29:
Frijoles wrote on Jun 13, 2011, 23:21:
If I can figure it out in 15 minutes for my own website, surely they can.

Are you encrypting your passwords with MD5? If so, your site is susceptible to a rainbow tables attack.

If not, and you're using something like salted SHA-1 - gold star for you!

Its more appropriate to call both those 2 cryptographic hash functions. not really encryption on their own. SHA-1 also whilst safer than md5 is by no means perfect.

Everyone on Bluesnews is synical, get over it.
edit: i cant spell, this is my disclaimer.

16. Re: Bethesda Hacked Jun 14, 2011, 03:36 yuastnav

Well, after they announced that Consoles are the lead platform for Skyrim I really can't feel bad for them. Much to the contrary; in fact I think I'll laugh uncontrollably until I pass out.

This comment was edited on Jun 14, 2011, 03:50.

15. Re: Bethesda Hacked Jun 14, 2011, 03:29 starmonkey

Frijoles wrote on Jun 13, 2011, 23:21:
If I can figure it out in 15 minutes for my own website, surely they can.

Are you encrypting your passwords with MD5? If so, your site is susceptible to a rainbow tables attack.

If not, and you're using something like salted SHA-1 - gold star for you!

14. Re: Bethesda Hacked Jun 14, 2011, 02:32 tron

the hackers (lulzsec) have repeatedly stated that they will not release the user data gained from the bethesda/zenimax hack. check out their twitter and pastebin activity if you want to verify it for yourself.

i have mixed feelings about these hacks. in away they are good - pointing out glaring security holes to companies that should be doing a better job of protecting their (and our) data. on the other hand, they create more chaos than necessary by publicizing results in the pursuit of validation and/or celebrity.

no matter how i feel, it is an entertaining spectacle. this sort of global-tech mischief is something that was limited to sci-fi just 10 or 20 years ago.

- tron -
---
"tron is big and tron is full of action... it's a hell of a ride!"
-from the Tron 2.0 box

13. Re: Bethesda Hacked Jun 14, 2011, 00:35 Techie714 ©

I blame the Enclave.....  

Steam (ID)
http://steamcommunity.com/id/techie714/
DEAD SH0T
Keep your privacy!
http://prism-break.org/

12. Re: Bethesda Hacked Jun 14, 2011, 00:21 Mashiki Amiketo

Dev wrote on Jun 14, 2011, 00:08:
Oh also, does ANYONE bother to encrypt passwords? The only place I've seen that didn't leak passwords was the epic games hack that recently happened. Anytime passwords are leaked that means they were stored as plain text which is really sad.
Honest answer? Doesn't seem like it. Most places are either storing them in plaintext, or simply hashing or salting. Instead of Hashing their salt. Stupid. You'd think big tech sites would be doing this but nope.

DSLreports got hit a month or two back, I'd consider that a fairly major tech site and they had all their passwords in plaintext. Bunch of other sites same shit. Personally I think they're either farming out security, or the admins are so fucking lazy that they should be slapped across the country, then kicked across the ocean for their stupidity. I mean come on. Salting+hash for passwords is the shit you should have been doing since 2001. And don't get me started on open database inputs, non-sanitized inputs, and other crap that leave them open to SQL injections.

--
"For every human problem,
there is a neat, simple solution;
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

11. Re: Bethesda Hacked Jun 14, 2011, 00:08 Dev

Wolfen wrote on Jun 13, 2011, 23:32:
This is just getting annoying. Are we gonna have to end up with key fob passwords for all these game sites now?

I got one of those. Paypal has them for only $5 (normally they cost like $30 or some such). The paypal one is the size of a credit card and fits in the wallet. Its from verisign and there's other websites that participate in using the same thing (paypal and ebay of course). Geico and a few others use it too, here's a list:
https://idprotect.verisign.com/wheretouse.v

Anyway, I really like it since even if I get infected with a keylogger, the login info probably won't do them any good. Each code lasts less than a minute. I wish more sites would offer the options to use the same versign fob. Ideally I could carry around just the one and use it for everything where payment info is involved. Oh well.

Oh also, does ANYONE bother to encrypt passwords? The only place I've seen that didn't leak passwords was the epic games hack that recently happened. Anytime passwords are leaked that means they were stored as plain text which is really sad.

10. Re: Bethesda Hacked Jun 13, 2011, 23:44 Tanto Edge

Another site preyed on in the morrow. These hackers waging wanton battle on these spires to what purpose!? I go red when I think of the lack of guard against those pushing the games industry to the brink of oblivion.
Every site on the skyrim of fallout just makes me rage like a demon hunted... in a forge.... okay, I'll stop.

...new vegas.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=705LEH3j2g0&t=0m24s
http://www.youtube.com/user/tantoedge

9. Re: Bethesda Hacked Jun 13, 2011, 23:32 Wolfen

This is just getting annoying. Are we gonna have to end up with key fob passwords for all these game sites now?  

8. Re: Bethesda Hacked Jun 13, 2011, 23:21 Frijoles

I don't recall making an account for Brink. I'm guessing that's due to it using Steam. Wonder how safe that is.

Also, wtf aren't these companies encrypting the god dammed passwords? If I can figure it out in 15 minutes for my own website, surely they can.

7. Re: Bethesda Hacked Jun 13, 2011, 23:15 Paranoid Jack

Over the past two years about two dozen business that have my info have been hacked. From banks, to health insurace companies, and of course game sites. This shit is out of hand...  

6. Re: Bethesda Hacked Jun 13, 2011, 22:27 Dev

I would have thought sony getting hacked was enough of a hint to game companies to check security. Then the sony website. Then the epic forums most recently. I'm sure there's many others I'm forgetting.  

5. Re: Bethesda Hacked Jun 13, 2011, 22:26 Ruffiana

nin wrote on Jun 13, 2011, 22:11:

Probably trying to steal some horse armor. Ba-DUM-DUMP *rimshot*

Goddammit! You beat me to it!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mine was going to be something about them cleaning out all the horse armor...

Pretty sad that this is their legacy, and that so many other publishers seem really oblivious to learning any kind of lesson from it.

4. Re: Bethesda Hacked Jun 13, 2011, 22:22 LittleMe

MrGrosser wrote on Jun 13, 2011, 22:12:
This explains why I was able to download Elder Scrolls V's today...

Perpetual debt is slavery.

3. Re: Bethesda Hacked Jun 13, 2011, 22:12 MrGrosser

This explains why I was able to download Elder Scrolls V's today...  

22 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo