Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

DICE Addresses Battlefield 3 Preorder Questions

Perhaps responding to backlash about preorder items for Battlefield 3, the Battlefield Blog has a FAQ on the Physical Warfare Pack and Back to Karkand pre-order items. They make a point of explaining that the Physical Warfare Pack shouldn't influence game balance in DICE's upcoming military shooter sequel:

Q: Is the Physical Warfare Pack available in all regions, or just in the UK?
A: It will be available worldwide at select retailers. It was first announced in the UK. Exact details for other countries and retailers will be announced at a later date.

Q: Will Physical Warfare Pack imbalance the game?
A: The three exclusive items in the Physical Warfare Pack were specifically chosen not to be overpowered or imbalance or break the game in any way.

Q: Why do I want the Physical Warfare Pack?
A: Owning these items will give you a more varied arsenal, but it will not give you a significant advantage on the battlefield.

View
23 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

23. Re: DICE Addresses Battlefield 3 Preorder Questions Jun 14, 2011, 19:33 Starang

Dev wrote on Jun 14, 2011, 17:59:
Yeah if you don't pre-order, you won't get the map-pack and will have to pay extra (no pricing announced) for it.

If you don't pre-order you wont get the exclusive weapons (physical pack) and EA says you can't get them at all any other way.

Thanks for the info, all I needed to know.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

22. Re: DICE Addresses Battlefield 3 Preorder Questions Jun 14, 2011, 17:59 Dev

Starang wrote on Jun 14, 2011, 08:18:
So I am a bit confused regarding the maps. If I don't pre-order and instead buy the game when it's actually available, my copy (PC) will be the fuck you edition and I will have to pay full price for the game and an extra 10 dollars to get the maps ?
Yeah if you don't pre-order, you won't get the map-pack and will have to pay extra (no pricing announced) for it.

If you don't pre-order you wont get the exclusive weapons (physical pack) and EA says you can't get them at all any other way.

21. Re: DICE Addresses Battlefield 3 Preorder Questions Jun 14, 2011, 12:43 Starang

AnointedSword wrote on Jun 14, 2011, 09:18:

How about this. You pre-order the damn game...It is that simple. How about this, don't play the game at all. Go play checkers or something...

How about this. When I want the advice from a unlock horny achievement hunting console gamer on me pre-ordering or not playing things I'll fucking ask for it...It is that simple. How about this, either give me an answer to my actual question or don't bother replying to me at all, now go buy some more map packs for call of duty or something...

20. Re: DICE Addresses Battlefield 3 Preorder Questions Jun 14, 2011, 10:29 Verno

Jackplug wrote on Jun 14, 2011, 10:24:
Well pre-order the game where it is available, I've pre-ordered mine back in March ;o)

I don't want to preorder it from a specific source just because EA isn't being fair with availability, I like to order it where I get the best price or offers.

Playing: Divinity Original Sin, Destiny, Fire Emblem
Watching: Continuum, Star Trek TNG, Haunt

19. Re: DICE Addresses Battlefield 3 Preorder Questions Jun 14, 2011, 10:24 Jackplug

Well pre-order the game where it is available, I've pre-ordered mine back in March ;o)  

18. Re: DICE Addresses Battlefield 3 Preorder Questions Jun 14, 2011, 09:39 Verno

AnointedSword wrote on Jun 14, 2011, 09:18:
How about this. You pre-order the damn game...It is that simple. How about this, don't play the game at all. Go play checkers or something...

Maybe he wants to buy the game on Steam where it isn't available for preorder because EA is playing silly games, genius.

17. Re: DICE Addresses Battlefield 3 Preorder Questions Jun 14, 2011, 09:24 Beelzebud

AnointedSword wrote on Jun 14, 2011, 09:20:
Each and everyone of you have the power to preorder if you so desire. My God, no wonder our world is screwed:/

Actually "the world is screwed" because people like you just accept this kind of bullshit without a second thought. "Just shut up and buy the overpriced map pack like everyone else!" That attitude is part of the reason why gaming has gotten to this 'nickle and dime' nonsense.

16. No subject Jun 14, 2011, 09:20 AnointedSword

Each and everyone of you have the power to preorder if you so desire. My God, no wonder our world is screwed:/  
If you were right, I would be agreeing with you.

15. No subject Jun 14, 2011, 09:18 AnointedSword

"So I am a bit confused regarding the maps. If I don't pre-order and instead buy the game when it's actually available, my copy (PC) will be the fuck you edition and I will have to pay full price for the game and an extra 10 dollars to get the maps ?"

If you were right, I would be agreeing with you.

14. Re: DICE Addresses Battlefield 3 Preorder Questions Jun 14, 2011, 08:56 Verno

The whole situation is pretty ridiculous, Dice just needs to take a stand with EA and say no to this bullshit. EA can't keep crying about how much resale hurts them while giving retailers this kind of crap to placate them.  

13. Re: DICE Addresses Battlefield 3 Preorder Questions Jun 14, 2011, 08:42 Tumbler

Starang wrote on Jun 14, 2011, 08:18:
So I am a bit confused regarding the maps. If I don't pre-order and instead buy the game when it's actually available, my copy (PC) will be the fuck you edition and I will have to pay full price for the game and an extra 10 dollars to get the maps ?

EA/Bioware did something like this with the dragon age signature edition. If you did not have it pre-ordered by a certain date, months before release, then you were SOL when the game shipped. But they've also just made the initial run of games a "limited edition" where everyone who buys the game early gets the extra content regardless of Pre-order.

They seem to be going with the limited edition on release plan but they could announce a deadline for pre-orders and cut that off.

99gamers.com-Game trading site, PC digital trading!
Kickstarter "Game Developer"!

12. Re: DICE Addresses Battlefield 3 Preorder Questions Jun 14, 2011, 08:18 Starang

11. Re: DICE Addresses Battlefield 3 Preorder Questions Jun 14, 2011, 04:49 Dev

Jackplug wrote on Jun 14, 2011, 00:08:
All I will say on this matter is that it isn't a bad thing, but I feel that this Limited Edition is merely for us vets who ave played BF2 to its death.

I don't understand what all this fuss is about as I've researched both Editions and its clear to see that the Limited version is far cheaper than the normal one, so really only a complete moron would buy the non Limited Edition version...

So please who ever wants to rant now, stfu...
Yeah but physical pack is only for pre-orders.

10. Re: DICE Addresses Battlefield 3 Preorder Questions Jun 14, 2011, 00:39 jsmith

Nate wrote on Jun 13, 2011, 23:09:
Don't care about this physical warfare pack. The 3 extra maps that you can only get by pre-ordering with EA is the issue.

Actually, the issue isn't so much the Back to Karkland map pack with preorders, it has more to do with the Physical Warfare Pack.

The map pack will be available to any preorder, whether it is from retail or digital distribution. I imagine DICE's reasoning for the so called bonus is to help justify the price hike in the Battlefield series from $49.99 to $59.99. Extra maps (though one can argue if they are completed ahead of time they should be included by default) or other bonus material tends to lessen the ire of the consumer when a price hike occurs.

In my opinion, the real issue is the Warfare Pack, which includes 1 First Day access item (unlockable by everyone if they play the game long enough) and 3 Exclusive items (not obtainable in the game), one of which is a weapon. If DICE follows suit with the UK announcement which is quite probable, this item pack will only be obtainable via select brick-and-mortar retailers and no digital distribution retailers that we know of at this time. This is one reason that people are upset, some may feel the need to purchase the game from a retailer they normally would not do business with, due to lack of convenience, disdain for that particular store, or some other reason.

Another issue is what is stated by DICE in their Physical Warfare Pack FAQ:

DICE wrote:
Q: Why do I want the Physical Warfare Pack?
A: Owning these items will give you a more varied arsenal, but it will not give you a significant advantage on the battlefield.

Does this imply there is a slight advantage? How about a moderate advantage? It is odd they chose to use the adjective 'significant' in their statement. I mean who knows, the Type 88 LMG might be ideal in certain circumstances and maybe that flechette shotgun ammunition could be lethal in the close quarter combat situations / maps where range isn't a factor in a standard engagement.

Any way you slice it, some people are going to be a bit perturbed not having access to all the same things other players will have access to when the only difference is supposed to be the player's skill.

9. Re: DICE Addresses Battlefield 3 Preorder Questions Jun 14, 2011, 00:08 Jackplug

All I will say on this matter is that it isn't a bad thing, but I feel that this Limited Edition is merely for us vets who ave played BF2 to its death.

I don't understand what all this fuss is about as I've researched both Editions and its clear to see that the Limited version is far cheaper than the normal one, so really only a complete moron would buy the non Limited Edition version...

So please who ever wants to rant now, stfu...

8. Re: DICE Addresses Battlefield 3 Preorder Questions Jun 13, 2011, 23:59 Dev

DV wrote on Jun 13, 2011, 23:14:
Don't care about this physical warfare pack. The 3 extra maps that you can only get by pre-ordering with EA is the issue.

First i'm hearing of this. I thought it was anyone that pre-orders gets the maps with the limited edition.
I don't know if thats the case or not (since I'm probably not going to pre-order the game I haven't tracked it that closely). But the linked FAQ has some info on the karkland DLC and it says:

Q: Is the Back to Karkand expansion pack exclusive to pre-orders?
A: No. You can also buy it separately if you do not pre-order Battlefield 3. Back to Karkand will be available the exact same date after the launch of Battlefield 3 no matter if you pre-ordered or buy it separately.

7. Re: DICE Addresses Battlefield 3 Preorder Questions Jun 13, 2011, 23:14 DV

First i'm hearing of this. I thought it was anyone that pre-orders gets the maps with the limited edition.

6. Re: DICE Addresses Battlefield 3 Preorder Questions Jun 13, 2011, 23:09 Nate

5. Re: DICE Addresses Battlefield 3 Preorder Questions Jun 13, 2011, 23:03 Wildone

whats the big deal most everyones gonna get it any way, from the looks of the previews its hardly gonna suck so why not?!  

4. Re: DICE Addresses Battlefield 3 Preorder Questions Jun 13, 2011, 22:48 Zardoz5

Hump wrote on Jun 13, 2011, 21:33:
DICE/EA did the same thing with Bad Company. in no way did it effect the game in the least.

People really need to get ahold of themselves.
Actually they did something a bit different. The Gold, collectors version of the game (that cost $10 more) was originally supposed to get 5 exclusive weapons that the regular edition would never get, but due to fan/media pressure they relented and made the weapons unlockable for regular edition purchasers with a series of codes.

http://badcompany.ea.com/page/dynpid/8616/

They ended up making 4 of the codes so than anyone could use them, hence you didn't have to jump through all the hoops listed on the link once the codes became known, oops.

I think people should complain if they don't like crap like this and I agree with them. Why should someone who preorders get extra stuff? People who buy it after it comes out pay the same price. People taking the bait and preordering are only encouraging game companies to withhold full games and give them to us piecemeal while they use these parts as marketing gimmicks.

The Bad Co. 2 "Free Map Packs" marketing gimmick is a far worse example of EA holding back game content to make themselves look good. Only the last "map pack" was new maps, the others were sitting on my hard drive unplayable until some marketing droid at EA gave the OK for me to play them. They released a few as marketing ploys against MW2's map packs that cost $15.

The upcoming SSX game gets an exclusive map on PS3, BF3 gets 1943 for free, etc, etc. EA has been making some decent games the past few years but their new found love of not giving me the full game/content when I plunk down my $50 or $60 at launch is getting tiresome. They lost a day one SSX purchase, maybe I'll pick it up for $20 or $30 instead. As for BF3 I'm on the fence, I'm a huge BF fan but I don't want to support this kind of thing anymore.

23 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo