Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Minecraft Sells 2.5M, Notch Interview

Minecraft originator Notch Tweets about sales of the indie sensation: "2.5 million sales! That's as much as Diablo 1 and FarCry, according to Wikipedia." On a related note, there's a video interview with Notch on PC Gamer where they spoke with him at E3. Along the way he expresses his ambition to make his game more of a game: "Reviewing Minecraft now would be kind of unfair because there are things we want to fix before then… I want to make Minecraft feel more be more like a game – so you can actually win it."

View
16 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

16. Re: Minecraft Sells 2.5M, Notch Interview Jun 14, 2011, 22:04 Razumen

Fools, Notch isn't changing anything intrinsic about the game, if you enjoy building without combat or enemies then that will always be available on easy mode. The stuff he's (likely) adding is content that will make higher difficulties more interesting, as well as content that will make exploring more compelling and rewarding; thus why the next update (1.7) is called the "Adventure Update."

So annoying how whenever Notch adds or announces some new feature the whole community acts like the rug is being swept out from underneath them. Ridiculous.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

15. Re: Minecraft Sells 2.5M, Notch Interview Jun 14, 2011, 18:25 UnderLord

I bought it because it is an open-ended game with the option to avoid combat and concentrate on building.
Changing it to what the proven market don't want is crazy.
What next, how to win in Second Life?
Still, I hear the source code is to be released (to selected parties, but how long can you keep the genie in the bottle?), someone will be smart enough to make a clone with the original gameplay if Notch isn't.

14. Re: Minecraft Sells 2.5M, Notch Interview Jun 14, 2011, 06:08 yuastnav

Yes, it would be quite nice if Minecraft was a little bit more like Terraria. I just love running around and slashing those zombies or fighting the big bosses. It hasn't been really fun in Minecraft, though.
Oh well, let's see what he comes up with until the release since there won't be anything else worthwhile on that day, from the looks of it.

13. Re: Minecraft Sells 2.5M, Notch Interview Jun 14, 2011, 04:24 Cutter

I really can't believe this thing has sold that much. And with no independent way to verify it, I'll continue on in that belief.

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

12. Re: Minecraft Sells 2.5M, Notch Interview Jun 14, 2011, 04:03 Bopper

2.5 million X 10 dollars = lots of money for Swedish prostitutes  
- Boppa

Playing: Torchlight 2, Civ V, Pikmin 3

Waiting for: Beyond:Two Souls, Watchdogs, EQNext, a GOOD Alien(s) game/movie

11. Re: Minecraft Sells 2.5M, Notch Interview Jun 14, 2011, 00:37 Bhruic

2.5 million people have paid money for the game, but it would be "unfair" to review it? That seems like some twisted logic.  

10. Re: Minecraft Sells 2.5M, Notch Interview Jun 14, 2011, 00:04 Vulkan

Halo wrote on Jun 13, 2011, 22:42:
Do people play Nethack to really get the amulet back?

I've been trying for 15 years and counting.

9. Re: Minecraft Sells 2.5M, Notch Interview Jun 13, 2011, 23:14 starmonkey

space captain wrote on Jun 13, 2011, 22:37:
sooooo.... which is it? am i allowed to express or do i have to pull my head in?

thats why i dont listen to "people" like you

If you pretend this comment is instead from John in reply to SpaceCaptain, the irony is awesome.

Seeyas.

8. Re: Minecraft Sells 2.5M, Notch Interview Jun 13, 2011, 22:42 Halo

Do people play Nethack to really get the amulet back?  

7. Re: Minecraft Sells 2.5M, Notch Interview Jun 13, 2011, 22:37 space captain

starmonkey wrote on Jun 13, 2011, 21:52:
Whoa, steady on there Space Captain. People are allowed to express their opinions (I think they call that a "forum").

So yeh, pull your head in

sooooo.... which is it? am i allowed to express or do i have to pull my head in?

thats why i dont listen to "people" like you

Go forth, and kill!

6. Re: Minecraft Sells 2.5M, Notch Interview Jun 13, 2011, 22:15 Ventura

seems like the actual creator of the game is much more qualified to describe the game's main premises

If anything all it really goes to show is that Notch had no idea what he was doing.

Minecraft could do with a little real depth, I'll give it that, but two and a half million people didn't buy it because they wanted something winnable.

5. Re: Minecraft Sells 2.5M, Notch Interview Jun 13, 2011, 22:14 [VG]Reagle

"Win it???????" The one game that is just fun to play and he wants us to win it?

For heaven sakes I am a troll and even I think this is retarded. Minecraft is just a fun world to play in.

I am MUCH MUCH better now.

4. Re: Minecraft Sells 2.5M, Notch Interview Jun 13, 2011, 22:13 nin

Congrats to Notch!

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

3. Re: Minecraft Sells 2.5M, Notch Interview Jun 13, 2011, 21:52 starmonkey

Whoa, steady on there Space Captain. People are allowed to express their opinions (I think they call that a "forum").

And yes, the premise of the game is mining and crafting, everything else is negotiable?

Though, if I read the dictionary definition of premise (state by way of introduction), describing Minecraft as a "sandbox world of endless exploration and creation" fits quite nicely. So yeh, pull your head in

(Note: I'd love more story to give more tangible meaning to the survival mode)

2. Re: Minecraft Sells 2.5M, Notch Interview Jun 13, 2011, 21:43 space captain

JohnBirshire wrote on Jun 13, 2011, 21:27:
I do however think being able to "win" Minecraft entirely defeats one of the game's main premises.

seems like the actual creator of the game is much more qualified to describe the game's main premises

it might entirely defeat what you in particular enjoy about it, but yeh id have to say that you dont speak for the game itself, sorry

Go forth, and kill!

1. Re: Minecraft Sells 2.5M, Notch Interview Jun 13, 2011, 21:27 JohnBirshire

I was more surprised that FarCry sold as many copies as Diablo, than anything else.

I do however think being able to "win" Minecraft entirely defeats one of the game's main premises.

16 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo