Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Wizardry Online Announced

Wizardry Online is a planned online installment in the classic Wizardry series of role-playing games, announces Japanese MMOG publisher Gamepot Inc. (not to be confused with GameSpot or GameStop), saying the game will launch for North American and European audiences next year. Here's word:

“Wizardry Online hearkens back to the original allure of the groundbreaking Wizardry RPG series, but brings an updated flare for modern gamers,” said Shuhei Ueda, president of Gamepot. “Now, for the first time ever, players around the world can step into the impressive action and captivating lore of this world in a free-to-play, online format. We’re confident the return to hardcore role-playing elements will be a shot in the arm for gamers looking for a new challenge in the genre.”

Developed in conjunction with Japanese game studio Headlock Inc., Wizardry Online will offer multiplayer features new to the Wizardry series such as party play and player versus player (PvP) combat, while maintaining the classic style that the series is known for. Hardcore gamers will revel in the return of the complex dungeons that punctuated earlier iterations, and soon will find that the game is fraught with significant peril: Wizardry Online features permanent death, in which player characters can be removed from the game upon dying, creating a more immersive experience.

View
28 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

28. Re: Wizardry Online Announced Jun 14, 2011, 09:18 JoeNapalm

BAMATU!

For some reason, I only remember the Priest spells.

And why...WHY do I remember those?!

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

27. Re: Wizardry Online Announced Jun 13, 2011, 23:09 Talisorn

Mr. Tact wrote on Jun 13, 2011, 11:03:
salito

Not sure. Was that a healing spell?

Fleche wrote on Jun 13, 2011, 10:57:
TILTOWAIT!

Now that I DO remember! *grin*

26. Re: Wizardry Online Announced Jun 13, 2011, 19:58 Jerykk

I just can't see how permadeath would add anything remotely enjoyable to a game. I'm sure it may add an element of fear, but I find it disheartening to think that everything I've worked for could be taken away.

Permadeath makes your choices much more meaningful because their consequences are much more severe.

25. Re: Wizardry Online Announced Jun 13, 2011, 18:57 DrEvil

LittleMe wrote on Jun 13, 2011, 17:59:
Zawath wrote on Jun 13, 2011, 17:15:
Permadeath can work just fine if you play on roleplay servers. There were many persistent world servers (Haze for example) for Neverwinter Nights that used permadeath and it really made the whole experience so much better because all your actions always had severe consequences.

I agree. Permadeth can add to the experience. It can add a healthy amount of tension if done right. It might need an option for 'everlasting' or 3 lives, or 1 life, such as what TomeNET does.

The more fair compromise I think is what some older games used to do, "You can't save right now." As long as it's used fairly (e.g. a short, but difficult 5-10 minute section) that's reasonable. Some games of course abused this and placed you in a section that was a few hours long where you couldn't save (gah!!!).

24. Re: Wizardry Online Announced Jun 13, 2011, 18:35 Killswitch

What exactly do you lose upon death in this game? Items? Skills? Levels? And what kind of time would you have to spend to gain it back? I just can't see how permadeath would add anything remotely enjoyable to a game. I'm sure it may add an element of fear, but I find it disheartening to think that everything I've worked for could be taken away.

Their other games look very "Asian". Maybe permadeath would mean permagrind and thus very attractive to their audience. /shrug

23. Re: Wizardry Online Announced Jun 13, 2011, 18:15 WyldKat

Permadeath can work just fine if you play on roleplay servers. There were many persistent world servers (Haze for example) for Neverwinter Nights that used permadeath and it really made the whole experience so much better because all your actions always had severe consequences.

I totally agree to this.

The thing is, such servers, and indeed players who are willing to play by the rules of such a server, are so few and far between a company could never break a profit on such an MMO.

22. Re: Wizardry Online Announced Jun 13, 2011, 17:59 LittleMe

I agree. Permadeth can add to the experience. It can add a healthy amount of tension if done right. It might need an option for 'everlasting' or 3 lives, or 1 life, such as what TomeNET does.

Political freedom can only be preceded by economic freedom which is preceded by monetary freedom.

21. Re: Wizardry Online Announced Jun 13, 2011, 17:15 Zawath

20. Re: Wizardry Online Announced Jun 13, 2011, 17:05 Tanto Edge

Looks like FFXI to me. I don't think permadeath will ever fly in an mmo.
Maybe if it didn't take however many weeks to reach whatever level.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=705LEH3j2g0&t=0m24s
http://www.youtube.com/user/tantoedge

19. Re: Wizardry Online Announced Jun 13, 2011, 15:12 WyldKat

Further, it should also be said that permadeath is horrible from a gameplay design perspective. It's pretty much the game telling people there's no point in going off and doing extremely risky but cool things, such as hunting that dragon, instead people will stick to fighting easy enemies or killing newbies. In fact this same sort of mentality occurs in games that don't even have permadeath, it's pretty much the bulk of Mortal Online or Darkfall's gameplay when players aren't AFK macroing their skills.

I don't mind harsh death penalties or even full loot games, mostly because you still get to keep your character you spent months working on. In fact I'm more tolerant to permadeath in single player games simply because the "asshole griefer" contingent is removed from the equation.

I also have a feeling there will be a lot of large guilds, such as Goon Squad, who will just newb rush people for the lulz and the free lootz and simply reroll if their throwaway character dies, meanwhile all the goodies are transfer ed to their alts.

18. Re: Wizardry Online Announced Jun 13, 2011, 15:05 WyldKat

I guess it's cool they're sticking to their roots in making a hardcore game. However I hope they don't have any delusions of making crazy money on this project, not even the hardest of the hardcore PVP MMOs feature permanent death because of how long it takes just to build up your character.

Plus there will always be guilds in PVP games who just want to zerg around and use every exploit or cheap tactic possible to ruin someones day. I simply don't see permanent death flying with the subscribers, especially since these types of people flock to games like this just to troll people.

17. Re: Wizardry Online Announced Jun 13, 2011, 14:38 Mr. Tact

Cabezone wrote on Jun 13, 2011, 13:31:
Wait are you saying the writing was plagiarized...or the fact that it uses line drawn dungeons? Making a new game in the same genre isn't plagiarism. You can say they were not original with the concept.

Both. Believe me, if you played one then the other you would know the second was in no way original, simple name change/replacements. Plus, someone well known on PLATO was involved in the initial versions.

Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

16. Re: Wizardry Online Announced Jun 13, 2011, 14:27 D_K_night

It wouldn't be the same if it didn't require you to map out the dungeon yourself. Perma death? oooo interesting, but this could just force the grind  

15. Re: Wizardry Online Announced Jun 13, 2011, 13:44 Fibrocyte

HorrorScope wrote on Jun 13, 2011, 13:11:
They will fuck this up, I'm certain of it.

You've dropped your pessimistic gaming comments on the right website...

14. Re: Wizardry Online Announced Jun 13, 2011, 13:31 Cabezone

Wait are you saying the writing was plagiarized...or the fact that it uses line drawn dungeons? Making a new game in the same genre isn't plagiarism. You can say they were not original with the concept.  
"Pants! Pants! Pants!"

13. Re: Wizardry Online Announced Jun 13, 2011, 13:11 HorrorScope

They will fuck this up, I'm certain of it.  

12. Re: Wizardry Online Announced Jun 13, 2011, 12:17 Bhruic

The original Wizardry with it's line drawn dungeon representation was stolen from "Oubliette" a game on the PLATO computer system

I loved that game - they ported it to the c64, and I spent many hours playing it. Sadly, I didn't have the manual, so I didn't have any of the spell names, so I had to try and scan the spells as the enemy cast them.

I think I ended up spending more time rolling for the best characters than I did actually killing things, but I definitely remember graphing out the maps.

11. Re: Wizardry Online Announced Jun 13, 2011, 12:12 venomhed

Original Wizardry and Bards Tale were big time hard core and unfortunately too many games today don't follow that method. There is no gain without pain!

However, the PVP aspect could greatly destroy this. Get an organized band of hoods and bam, everyone that arrives new into a choke point gets creamed, then everyone quits. SO it will be interesting to see how this works.

Too many god like games where you never die or at the very least don't lose all the shit you had on you.

I think Ultima Online at least has you lose all your current gear which is pretty cool because you think twice about "Ramboing" into every fight.

10. Re: Wizardry Online Announced Jun 13, 2011, 12:06 Mr. Tact

The original Wizardry with it's line drawn dungeon representation was stolen from "Oubliette" a game on the PLATO computer system -- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PLATO_system

Some claimed that Oubliette itself was at least in part stolen from another PLATO game, Avatar -- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Avatar_%28video_game%29

I'm less sure/convinced about that. However, Wizardry was pretty clearly plagiarized from Oubliette.

Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

9. Re: Wizardry Online Announced Jun 13, 2011, 11:52 Fibrocyte

Mr. Tact wrote on Jun 13, 2011, 11:17:
Fibrocyte wrote on Jun 13, 2011, 11:10:
Some kind of fire spell from Wizardry? Though I don't recall which one.

Wow, nice! Very close. In the game Wizardry was stolen from, 's' was the key to cast a spell, then you typed the name of the spell, in this case 'alito' which was described in the help lesson as, "This word literally means, 'being-end'. That seems to be an appropriate name for death."

Don't leave me hanging. Which game was Wizardry stolen from? BTW -- Bard's Tale was super memorable, too.

28 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo