Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

BF3 Preorder Backlash

There's a user-created poll on the EA Forums reflecting unhappiness at plans to offer exclusive weapons as preorder bonuses for Battlefield 3, fearing the impact this will have on game balance in the upcoming military shooter sequel. As of this writing 94% of respondents say these exclusives are a bad idea, compared with 3% who feel it's a good idea. As a result, this post on reddit is attempting to coordinate a boycott to protest this.

View
70 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

70. Re: BF3 Preorder Backlash Jun 14, 2011, 09:01 Verno

xXBatmanXx wrote on Jun 13, 2011, 18:52:
I think Valve disagrees - as well as the other many many digital groups opening their doors and shipping games digitally. I think there has been a huge surge in the past few years of pc games.

NPC (we all know how reliable they are) aren't down all that much, and they have no idea about digital.

I think you missed where I used the word retail I meant retail as in physical retail, brick and mortar stores. I know full well PC digital is alive and thriving, I've made that argument many times on here.

Playing: Everquest Next Alpha, Diablo 3, Bravely Default
Watching: Evidence, Longmire, Chained
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

69. Re: BF3 Preorder Backlash Jun 13, 2011, 20:30 Nate

What sucks is having to pre-order from EA's online store to get the additional 3 maps. You can't even pre-order BF3 yet from Steam.

Split the player base from day 1. Good thinking!

Could care less about the weapon bonus thing. I'm in it for the tanks/APCs.

68. Re: BF3 Preorder Backlash Jun 13, 2011, 20:04 MajorD

WHERE'S MY FREAKEN' FREE T-SHIRT?!?!?!

67. Re: BF3 Preorder Backlash Jun 13, 2011, 19:32 Krovven

AnointedSword wrote on Jun 13, 2011, 19:05:
The bottom line is if you did not have these new elements in game you would be playing an ID game. Boring...People want a sense of achievement and I believe they are going in the right direction.

Bottom-line is...what exactly do you get out of having to level up and unlock weapons to be able to compete in a competitive online multiplayer shooter? NOTHING!

The only purpose for unlocks is to give people the false sense of accomplishment and to artificially extend the games life for those that can't just play because they enjoy the gameplay.

I want to see a FPS with full MMORPG type of item system... Now, that would rock!

There are FPS MMO's out there, go play them.

66. Re: BF3 Preorder Backlash Jun 13, 2011, 19:18 Dades

I still play ten year old FPS games without achievement or unlock systems. I do it because I enjoy myself and to improve by competing at the game, not to improve by progressing an imaginary bar to its endpoint so that I can get a gun.  

65. when i was a boy... Jun 13, 2011, 19:17 space captain

Jerykk wrote on Jun 13, 2011, 19:14:
Now about the unlocks. If you do not have unlocks what do you have?

How about genuinely deep and compelling gameplay that has lots of longevity? Crazy, I know! But there was a time, long, long ago, when people played games because they enjoyed them, not because they wanted achievements or unlockables. And people would play these games for years, too. It was amazing!

welcome to old age

Go forth, and kill!

64. Re: BF3 Preorder Backlash Jun 13, 2011, 19:14 Jerykk

Now about the unlocks. If you do not have unlocks what do you have?

How about genuinely deep and compelling gameplay that has lots of longevity? Crazy, I know! But there was a time, long, long ago, when people played games because they enjoyed them, not because they wanted achievements or unlockables. And people would play these games for years, too. It was amazing!

63. Re: BF3 Preorder Backlash Jun 13, 2011, 19:08 Sepharo

AnointedSword wrote on Jun 13, 2011, 19:05:
People want a sense of achievement and I believe they are going in the right direction.

This sense of achievement used to come from being a good player, now it apparently comes from grinding and achievement pop-ups.

62. No subject Jun 13, 2011, 19:05 AnointedSword

Now about the unlocks. If you do not have unlocks what do you have? The bottom line is if you did not have these new elements in game you would be playing an ID game. Boring...People want a sense of achievement and I believe they are going in the right direction. I want to see a FPS with full MMORPG type of item system... Now, that would rock!  
If you were right, I would be agreeing with you.

61. Re: BF3 Preorder Backlash Jun 13, 2011, 19:01 xXBatmanXx

They are all low level unlocks and bs stuff.

The maps will be offered to everyone who preorders, no matter who they are. Why get in a tizzy over the other stuff? It is garbage.

Geez. Lighten up francis - probably unlock better stuff within an hour of gameplay anyway.

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad

60. No subject Jun 13, 2011, 19:00 AnointedSword

OMG...OMG....OMG...I heard if you pre-order before 6:00 Central time you get the Michael Jordon unlock! Yes, that is right... you can play MJ himself. Oo  
If you were right, I would be agreeing with you.

59. Re: BF3 Preorder Backlash Jun 13, 2011, 18:58 Sepharo

xXBatmanXx wrote on Jun 13, 2011, 18:52:
Verno wrote on Jun 13, 2011, 12:04:
The PC retail market is mostly dead in the overwhelming majority of worldwide markets so I'm not sure that is what people were clamoring for. It remains to be seen if the balance is affected or not but I don't see Dice as the kind of company who would screw it up on purpose.

I think Valve disagrees - as well as the other many many digital groups opening their doors and shipping games digitally. I think there has been a huge surge in the past few years of pc games.

NPC (we all know how reliable they are) aren't down all that much, and they have no idea about digital.

I think by retail he meant brick-and-mortar.

58. Re: BF3 Preorder Backlash Jun 13, 2011, 18:56 Sepharo

Krovven wrote on Jun 13, 2011, 17:34:
This is something I was talking to a friends about recently. Ever since CoD 4 (I think.) every developer seems to think they must have an unlock system for weapons and attachments.

I miss the days, where everyone had access to the same weapons and gadgets from the start, you just chose what to use.

BC2:Vietnam didn't have unlockables, you just started with all the available guns and it was SOOOO much better for it. I wish they could have taken that lesson and applied it to BF3 but then the CoD players would have complained "What I can't get prestige x5?" as if anything but the KDR/Score mattered.

57. Re: BF3 Preorder Backlash Jun 13, 2011, 18:52 xXBatmanXx

Verno wrote on Jun 13, 2011, 12:04:
The PC retail market is mostly dead in the overwhelming majority of worldwide markets so I'm not sure that is what people were clamoring for. It remains to be seen if the balance is affected or not but I don't see Dice as the kind of company who would screw it up on purpose.

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad

56. Re: BF3 Preorder Backlash Jun 13, 2011, 18:13 Evil Timmy

DangerDog: Well, it certainly appears I was wrong about that one...thought I read that it was just going to be out sooner for pre-orders, not a whole separate paid DLC. They gave away a set of remade maps with a BC2 patch, so I assumed they'd be doing the same this time around, just giving a little extra nudge for rabid fans to pre-order. I guess nobody ever went broke betting that game publishers would stoop even lower to scare up a few sales.  

55. Re: BF3 Preorder Backlash Jun 13, 2011, 18:11 Beelzebud

BF3 will be a great game crippled by EA's corporate bullshit. Get ready for lots of paid DLC too.  

54. Re: BF3 Preorder Backlash Jun 13, 2011, 17:48 Linksil

MajorD wrote on Jun 13, 2011, 16:49:
Prez wrote on Jun 13, 2011, 13:08:
I'm baffled by the "pre-order bonus" concept, regardless of which game uses it. To me, the best pre-order bonus would be to let those who pre-order play a bit earlier. Other than that, everyone should have equal access to everything.

What happened to the good ol' days when you pre-ordered a game by a certain date you would get a free T-Shirt upon picking the game on release day? The last ones I have are HL2 and Quake 4. Sigh.....

Dead rising had the best shirt ever. I wish there was a way to get a second one when I wear the first one out. Chop til you drop!

Munching On: Warframe, Final Fantasy 6, Tales of Xallia, Saints Row 4.

53. Re: BF3 Preorder Backlash Jun 13, 2011, 17:34 Krovven

MindStalkerReturned wrote on Jun 13, 2011, 16:55:
Funny thing is, most people want to play a fair game. Even if they bought the pre-order they would know they had an advantage over the smucks who didn't buy the pre-order. Its really no fun to play a game especially if your talking leader boards and organized matches, if you can't know everyone is starting out equally.

This is something I was talking to a friends about recently. Ever since CoD 4 (I think.) every developer seems to think they must have an unlock system for weapons and attachments.

I miss the days, where everyone had access to the same weapons and gadgets from the start, you just chose what to use. Or like Counter-Strike's in-game economy where you could buy weapons each round based on how or poorly you did in subsequent rounds.

CoD's method...you dont get the good weapons until you've put 50 hours into multiplayer, by which point you may already be growing tired of the game, and moving onto something else. I hate this is in every shooter that's out currently.

52. Re: BF3 Preorder Backlash Jun 13, 2011, 17:33 Dades

AnointedSword wrote on Jun 13, 2011, 16:09:
How about this...if you are so worried about this...buy the damn preorder....It is not rocket science...if you care that much about the game to cry about it, go put 5 bucks down on it... there! Just so people know, preorders is a way to tell how much interest is in a title. This can lead to devs being able to spend more time on a giving game before the pubs rush the title. See, the publishers are not evil, they just do not like losing money. For example, if one of you left wingers out there put up a huge amount of money to get a game done,would you want to lose it? Did not think so...Go preorder and stop your crying...

Do you get that a lot of people don't necessarily want to commit to gaming franchises as if they were subscriptions? Some people actually want to be like normal consumers. I don't normally get a directive from my butcher to preorder a huge amount of meat otherwise I can't get the same quality or quantity as everyone else in the future.

Preorders should be based on making the consumer desire the game instead of denying them features on the disk for the sake of the publishers bottom line. What's next? At what point does it become too much for you? Is it ok if its guns and maps but not ok if its part of the singleplayer game? Where do you draw the line? I'll let you in on a secret: there is no line to EA. As long as there is money to be had there is no such thing as a bottom too low to be plumbed.

51. Re: BF3 Preorder Backlash Jun 13, 2011, 17:24 Hump

sometimes its embarrassing to be a PC gamer. Do these assholes know what year this is? Its not 1998, we don't have that kind of juice anymore to make boycott threats without publishers laughing in our faces.  

----------------------------------------------------------------------
"Both the “left” and the “right” pretend they have the answer, but they are mere flippers on the same thalidomide baby, and the truth is that neither side has a clue."

- Jim Goad

70 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo