Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Call of Duty Elite to "Unite" CoD Audience

The controversial premium Call of Duty Elite service is intended to "unite" the audience for the Call of Duty series of military first=person shooters, Activision explains to MCV. "[Look at] the sheer scale of the audience – and not just by any individual game," Activision's VP of digital Jamie Berger told them. "There are four Call of Duty games in the top ten most played on Xbox Live." Here's more:

The number of people engaged made it clear to us that we had to step in and build something that was going to unite this audience. We’ve got this franchise that’s evolving but we weren’t allowing the player to evolve. We’re asking them to start all over again every year with each new game – and that can’t work.

So I think Elite is a recognition that we have 30m people worldwide doing something and we can’t just leave them to their own devices. We have to support them and get ahead of their needs, rather than always playing catch-up with them.

View
30 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

30. Re: Call of Duty Elite to "Unite" CoD Audience Jun 15, 2011, 02:49 loomy

they are disabling the power to host dedicated servers. and then they're selling it back to you.  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

29. Re: Call of Duty Elite to Jun 15, 2011, 02:12 shponglefan

[VG]Reagle wrote on Jun 13, 2011, 18:44:
You guys make me SICK. The whole reason you don't like this new ELITE service is becuase when you log onto a multiplayer you get YOUR ASS KICKED by players like me that actually have SKILLS. Now maybe you crybabies don't wan't a service like this. But I want to know in detail how many NOOBS GOT PWND. I WANT to be able to detail how many brand new NEWBS I drove off the server LIKE A BOSS. I want to spawn kill noobs and send them back to their mommies crying.

BRINK ELITE ON IT SOUNDS SWEET ASS.

CoD is for N00bs. Real gamers player Arma II.

28. Re: Call of Duty Elite to Jun 15, 2011, 02:11 shponglefan

MajorD wrote on Jun 13, 2011, 11:43:
Treyarch and Infinity Ward have gotten 'A LOT' of mileage out of this COD engine (id Tech 3, can you believe it???), with some pretty decent graphic code upgrades/tweaks along the way, but one would have to think they’ll have to do something after MW3, as the engine is starting to show its age in many different ways.

Er, wasn't id Tech 3 just used until CoD 2? I thought since CoD 3, they used proprietary engines.

Edited to add: Nevermind, I see that IW has apparently modified the id Tech 3 engine and dubbed it the "IW engine".

27. Re: Call of Duty Elite to Jun 13, 2011, 23:39 xXBatmanXx

Domgrief wrote on Jun 13, 2011, 11:29:
This sounds like nothing but marketing babble, but after reading through the full interview I can kind of see where they're coming from.

If you boil it down to "we're providing a way for you to transition between games without having to find your friends all over again" and "we're trying to make it easier for you to find out which people from your existing social networks are already CoD players" then it actually sounds kind of useful.

It reminds me of a great feature that used to be in PC multiplayer games where I would regularly go to one place and play against the same group of people, plus you'd know where to look if a new game in the series was released. I think it was called a "dedicated server".

You can already do that with Steam. Which CoD thought was stupid, so you have to re create a list of friends in each game, which we all said was stupid when they did that.....ugh.

Whatever. I hope they lose their ass on this.

Buy from GreenManGaming? Use this, we both get $2.00 - http://www.greenmangaming.com/?gmgr=purutuwi

26. Re: Call of Duty Elite to Jun 13, 2011, 19:38 everyone

You guys make me SICK. The whole reason you don't like this new ELITE service is becuase when you log onto a multiplayer you get YOUR ASS KICKED by players like me that actually have SKILLS.
That's strange. I played COD for the first time during the recent free weekend and spent most of that time at the top of the scoreboard, yet I still think this sounds shit. Maybe your theory isn't as water-tight as it at first seemed...

25. Re: Call of Duty Elite to "Unite" CoD Audience Jun 13, 2011, 19:37 entr0py

I have no doubt that Elite will be a failure in it's currently planned format. My only fear is that, once it fails, Activision will start carving out more and more content from their games and making them Elite exclusives in a desperate attempt to vindicate the whole scheme.

But if they resist the urge to do that, and keep it a purely stats tracking and social website thing, that's fine with me. Easily ignored.

24. Re: Call of Duty Elite to Jun 13, 2011, 19:19 space captain

You guys make me SICK. The whole reason you don't like this new ELITE service is becuase when you log onto a multiplayer you get YOUR ASS KICKED by players like me that actually have SKILLS.

dont you mean SKILLZ???? as in MAD SKILLZ, DOG! yo

Go forth, and kill!

23. Re: Call of Duty Elite to Jun 13, 2011, 18:54 Krovven

What we learned from Reagle's post...

1) he likes random caps.
2) he can't spell.
3) he talks like a 12 yr old in Counter-Strike Call of Duty games.
4) he likes sweet ass.

22. Re: Call of Duty Elite to Jun 13, 2011, 18:44 [VG]Reagle

You guys make me SICK. The whole reason you don't like this new ELITE service is becuase when you log onto a multiplayer you get YOUR ASS KICKED by players like me that actually have SKILLS. Now maybe you crybabies don't wan't a service like this. But I want to know in detail how many NOOBS GOT PWND. I WANT to be able to detail how many brand new NEWBS I drove off the server LIKE A BOSS. I want to spawn kill noobs and send them back to their mommies crying.

BRINK ELITE ON IT SOUNDS SWEET ASS.

I am MUCH MUCH MUCH MUCH MUCH MUCH MUCH better now.

21. Re: Call of Duty Elite to Jun 13, 2011, 17:06 Dev

Regardless of my feelings on the subscription (I think its just a kotick money grab), its actually a smart business decision. There's tons of people out there that will pay monthly for more stats, and if the normal multiplayer remains free, all those who play more "casually" won't have to buy the service.
I mean look, blizzard sells crazy amounts of purely cosmetic mounts for Wow. There's enough people playing CoD games that even if say 10% of the millions if buyers pay the subscription, that's a big chunk of change.
Verno wrote on Jun 13, 2011, 13:02:
I've always thought that the DLC dollars paled in comparison for increased sales on the retail game well after launch.

Not really, DLC profit margins are much higher. They have typically already sold through the majority of their lifetime retail sales within six months of release, much sooner for smaller franchises.
Exactly.
Keep in mind that for a $60 game, the publisher only sees about $20 of that. Math has been done on this many times before by people in the industry. As I recall its like $15 for licensing, $15 for retailer (aka gamestop), $10 for other stuff. I could be off by a few dollars, its been a while since I looked this stuff up.
Then you have gamestop selling used copies for $50 near launch, and they are picking up all $50 of that, none of that is going back to publisher (minus the cut paid for trade-in).
On steam games they see around half and valve takes the other half. So even though valve is taking a huge chunk, the publishers actually end up netting more since they see such a small percentage of a retail game. I'm guessing most digital platforms are similar.

With DLC, its usually sold digital or directly from the company so for a $20 map pack, they are probably making close to what they make for the retail game! Plus they can potentially sell DLC to everyone, even those who buy it used. That could be the only money they see for used sales.

This comment was edited on Jun 13, 2011, 17:12.

20. Re: Call of Duty Elite to Jun 13, 2011, 16:42 baltar

One shitty service to unite them all.  

19. Re: Call of Duty Elite to Jun 13, 2011, 16:24 Krovven

I've disliked the CoD franchise for years, single-player is always the same with below average gameplay and above average production value. Multiplayer in-general has maps that are too small with UI shit popping up all over the place.

After finally playing Bad Company 2 single-player and playing some multiplayer this past weekend, I'm officially done buying CoD games, unless they do a major overhaul to gameplay.

18. Re: Call of Duty Elite to Jun 13, 2011, 13:41 Verno

DLC to me encourages 2nd hand sales because I've already spent my money as a new buyer and now you're asking for more? No thanx, I'll let the next guy decide if he wants it. At the same time the game hasn't change, they don't improve it as you go, it's either pay us more or nothing changes.

It's actually the total opposite, DLC has proven quite effective as a disincentive for second hand sales and supplementing losses from them. Both EA and Ubisoft has made this claim and EA's rapidly growing digital sales figures from DLC are pretty clear on it.

I think this is the way it looks because of 2nd hand sales. As you get farther from launch you have more and more people looking to sell their games

They have already sold through to retailers long before hand. The actual profit margin on DLC is higher and it can be developed quickly with far less resources. They also don't have to fork out 40% to a retailer.

Playing: Dragon Age Inquisition, Far Cry 4, This War of Mine
Watching: The Walking Dead, The Fall, As Above So Below

17. Re: Call of Duty Elite to Jun 13, 2011, 13:32 Tumbler

Verno wrote on Jun 13, 2011, 13:02:
Not really, DLC profit margins are much higher. They have typically already sold through the majority of their lifetime retail sales within six months of release, much sooner for smaller franchises.

I think this is the way it looks because of 2nd hand sales. As you get farther from launch you have more and more people looking to sell their games. I think this would change a lot if companies would continue to release content for their games. A game like LA Noire might be something I hold onto after I finish it if I know there is a small batch of content coming in a week or 2. Infamous 2 will be interesting to look at in a month as it will hopefully have a lot of UGC. (user generated content) I'm playing it now and loving it and I'm going to hold onto it specifically because I know it's going to have more to see and do in a month.

DLC to me encourages 2nd hand sales because I've already spent my money as a new buyer and now you're asking for more? No thanx, I'll let the next guy decide if he wants it. At the same time the game hasn't change, they don't improve it as you go, it's either pay us more or nothing changes.

Judging by the actions of companies your comments are more likely to be correct though. Everyone who wants the game enough to pay for it has purchased it so putting out free dlc isn't going to entice others to buy the game who were on the fence...

However, as someone who plays a lot of 2nd hand games I can tell you that more content over time if you buy new is a huge incentive to buy. BFBC2 definitely made me buy it new because of the VIP access thing. I ended up trading it inside a month because the added content was more of a gimmick than anything substantial. Mass Effect 2 by comparison got traded out immediately because the "free content" did arrive fast enough and they were already set to charge for future content.

I've never had trouble trading a used game so there are people out there looking to buy these games at a discount. Adjust the price down over time combined with extra content on a monthly basis should drive profits way up in my opinion.

99gamers.com-Game trading site, PC digital trading!
Kickstarter "Game Developer"!

16. Re: Call of Duty Elite to "Unite" CoD Audience Jun 13, 2011, 13:02 Verno

I've always thought that the DLC dollars paled in comparison for increased sales on the retail game well after launch.

15. Re: Call of Duty Elite to "Unite" CoD Audience Jun 13, 2011, 12:59 Tumbler

If I was activision and I wanted to charge a monthly fee for CoD the only thing I'd need to do is make a new map each month and add it to the list of maps you get to play when you are a cod elite player. After a few months there would be enough maps that someone not paying for this service would start seeing a major difference in their game. They've already tasked a company with building DLC content exclusively for this series so I'm pretty sure this is what we can expect. Going a step further I would say that at the end of the first month you'd be wise to drop a chunk of extra maps so that people immediately see a difference being an elite player vs normal player.

I'm 99% sure that is the game plan. Lock the new maps behind a monthly sub. They can claim you're getting more content for the price as you are getting new map(s) each month and people will at least have something to show for the fee each month. I am guessing $9.99 a month.

This has some advantages if you consider that someone coming back to the game 3 months out can pay $9.99 for a month and try all the new maps but this would normally cost at least $14.99 to buy the map pack and do this. For those who play all the time the cost will obviously be higher but at the same time they're getting more content than they were for free.

It will be interesting to see this in action. If they stick with the map packs every few months as they do now and still expect people to pay a monthly sub during that time I don't see how they expect to collect on that. It won't be worth it until the first map pack arrives.

...Although if they were clever and tied the elite access to new purchases via one time use code and those people didn't have to pay the fee they'd massacre the 2nd hand market and I think a SHITLOAD of people would buy it new. I'm already in Q to pick it up used from goozex. If they made used gamers pay the fee and new gamers got it free they'd probably sell a few million copies of this game each month way out into the next year.

I've always thought that the DLC dollars paled in comparison for increased sales on the retail game well after launch. If companies made it a point to release something new each month that was offered free to new game buyers they would give many gamers a reason to keep their games rather than sell them. If someone did get the game used you could still charge them for DLC so in very short order you'd have a major incentive to only buy the game new and you'd still probably have your $60 rather than discounting heavily inside a month or two.

99gamers.com-Game trading site, PC digital trading!
Kickstarter "Game Developer"!

14. Re: Call of Duty Elite to Jun 13, 2011, 11:57 Verno

Jonny5 wrote on Jun 13, 2011, 11:36:
The "Elite Service" is an option for players, Includes VERY detailed stats page and community for elite players, And "Elite Service" will receive expansions free of charge. The regular Online will not require ANY monthly service fees.

You should have added "Yet" to your statement. It is literally a matter of time, Activision has even said that they want to do so in very concise language before.

13. Re: Call of Duty Elite to Jun 13, 2011, 11:56 Drayth

Maybe they'll turn this into an MMO...
[s4mf1ssur3, has invited you to Afghanistan 20. Would you like to join this raid? <yes> <no>]

Between XBOX Live and Steam, I'm not sure why anyone needs a paid service to track their online friends. I guess it'll offer other stuffs though.

12. Re: Call of Duty Elite to "Unite" CoD Audience Jun 13, 2011, 11:48 Creston

You guys don't get it. They're going to "unite" everyone by splitting the player base between those that pay to play and those that don't! Isn't that the very definition of uniting?

Of course, Bobby Cocktick knows full well that there are plenty of monkeys who will pay 10 bucks a month for shit they used to get for free. For all his shit, the man knows how to get the most money out of the least amount of content.

Creston

11. Re: Call of Duty Elite to "Unite" CoD Audience Jun 13, 2011, 11:43 MajorD

Treyarch and Infinity Ward have gotten 'A LOT' of mileage out of this COD engine (id Tech 3, can you believe it???), with some pretty decent graphic code upgrades/tweaks along the way, but one would have to think they’ll have to do something after MW3, as the engine is starting to show its age in many different ways.

Now that idSoftware is under the ZeniMax umbrella and are not licensing their engines anymore, I wonder who/what Treyarch and Infinity Ward will use: UT3 with the new DirectX 11 enhancements, or a new in-house engine that has already been under development? Or will they keep the ‘Cash Cow’ fed with the same old engine?

It will be interesting, because I have a feeling, from what I have seen/read so far, that BF3 and Rage are going to raise the bar to the next level in many ways. Time will tell…….

30 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo