Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Game Reviews

View
17 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

17. Re: Game Reviews Jun 17, 2011, 04:13 Nucas

eRe4s3r wrote on Jun 14, 2011, 15:46:
The funny thing is, all that engine needed is a slight shader upgrade to DX9 and DX10 levels, and it'd look better than the crap they put out now.

Yeah polycounts were low, but in turn you could have had hundreds of active npcs, huge scale battles, massive carnage and stuff like that. Its really befuddling why they scrapped that version.

Or for that matter, why didn't gearbox not simply grab the Frostbite engine or the Geomod 2 engine ? At least then you'd have proper destruction and physics... argh, the madness

this comment is brilliant commentary on the state of the game's development, hopefully deliberate.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

16. Re: Game Reviews Jun 14, 2011, 15:46 eRe4s3r

The funny thing is, all that engine needed is a slight shader upgrade to DX9 and DX10 levels, and it'd look better than the crap they put out now.

Yeah polycounts were low, but in turn you could have had hundreds of active npcs, huge scale battles, massive carnage and stuff like that. Its really befuddling why they scrapped that version.

Or for that matter, why didn't gearbox not simply grab the Frostbite engine or the Geomod 2 engine ? At least then you'd have proper destruction and physics... argh, the madness

15. Re: Game Reviews Jun 14, 2011, 11:09 kanniballl

JohnBirshire wrote on Jun 13, 2011, 19:15:
Kythlyn wrote on Jun 13, 2011, 13:21:
Most shooters can be completed in a single day. Average campaign length is 6-10 hours.

Most shooters didn't spend 15 years in development.

True, but's it's not like a building or a bridge... where time spent typically is seen in size and quality.

With software, 15 years is an epic amount of time. But that means that all of the tech and stuff they wrote became worthless after a couple of years.

Let's build on the X engine. Oh wait, now the X+2 engine is out. Oh wait, the number of acceptable poly-counts is now a lot more than what we were using. Oh the graphics are really dated now compared to current games. Oh the dev team was fired/quit. Oh the ownership changed hands. Oh the new leader wants to start from scratch. etc.

I'm not forgiving the long development cycle, far from it. But even if it was developed during the full 15 years, I'd say at least 12 years worth of work was thrown into the garbage can.

Therefore I'm not surprised the game is just as long as the rest of the FPS shooters out there that DIDN'T take over a decade to release.

"Space. It seems to go on and on forever. But then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you."
-Fry, Futurama

14. Re: Game Reviews Jun 14, 2011, 01:42 Nucas

it's actually kind of heartbreaking wondering what could have been if they'd released what looked like a great game ten fucking years ago before the world rushed past them.  

13. Re: Game Reviews Jun 13, 2011, 19:15 JohnBirshire

Kythlyn wrote on Jun 13, 2011, 13:21:
Most shooters can be completed in a single day. Average campaign length is 6-10 hours.

Most shooters didn't spend 15 years in development.

12. Re: Game Reviews Jun 13, 2011, 19:06 Jerykk

nin wrote on Jun 13, 2011, 14:01:
One of these things is not like the others...

http://www.joystiq.com/2011/06/13/metareview-duke-nukem-forever/

Yes, PC Gamer is the only one that reviewed the PC version. All the rest reviewed the Xbox version.

11. Re: Game Reviews Jun 13, 2011, 15:12 Wowbagger_TIP

PC Gamer gave the glowing review to DA2 as well, right? Is this really a surprise? They're the very definition of sellouts.  

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts." -- Bertrand Russell (I think...)

10. Re: Game Reviews Jun 13, 2011, 14:01 nin

One of these things is not like the others...

http://www.joystiq.com/2011/06/13/metareview-duke-nukem-forever/

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

9. Re: Game Reviews Jun 13, 2011, 13:54 nin

You are all sheep

Yes, yes, it's everyone else's problem, and not yours.

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

8. Re: Game Reviews Jun 13, 2011, 13:21 Kythlyn

7. Re: Game Reviews Jun 13, 2011, 13:06 the_culture

Just ignore Jonny5. Virtually every one of his posts is inflammatory.  

6. Re: Game Reviews Jun 13, 2011, 12:36 Bhruic

You are all sheep, Most reviews have been crappy 360 version, The PC version, if ya play it to have fun with no Eleetism or "Modern Shooter" expectations, you will have a blast with this game

Oh, ok, so if you play on the PC version, that makes the game substantially longer than the 360 version? You can't sit down and finish the PC version in a single play session?

Or are you calling me a "sheep" without actually addressing the issue I had with the review at all?

5. Re: Game Reviews Jun 13, 2011, 12:02 Verno

Jonny5 wrote on Jun 13, 2011, 11:58:
Bhruic wrote on Jun 13, 2011, 11:40:
My problem is less with the score, because hey, that's individual tastes. But the fact that he considered the game great after finishing it in a single play session is a bit sad. I'm not spending $50 for a game, and then wondering what I'm going to be playing tomorrow.

You are all sheep, Most reviews have been crappy 360 version, The PC version, if ya play it to have fun with no Eleetism or "Modern Shooter" expectations, you will have a blast with this game, I for one Am happy I spent 44.99 on it, Has been a blast to play and when Dedicated server files are released , I foresee some great Multiplayer games ahead.

You like something that others don't like, it doesn't mean you have to act like a baby about it. I found the game mostly dull and poorly scripted. They were some neat interactive experiences with the environment that most games don't have these days but that wasn't enough to redeem the ho-hum gameplay and presentation. The humor was alright in spots but most of it was totally predictable and felt like they were marking things off on a checklist.

Playing: Fire Emblem, Diablo 3, Bravely Default
Watching: The Machine, After the Dark, Devils Due

4. Re: Game Reviews Jun 13, 2011, 11:58 Jonny5

Jonny5 wrote on Jun 13, 2011, 11:58:
My problem is less with the score, because hey, that's individual tastes. But the fact that he considered the game great after finishing it in a single play session is a bit sad. I'm not spending $50 for a game, and then wondering what I'm going to be playing tomorrow.

You are all sheep, Most reviews have been crappy 360 version, The PC version (which on average has 80 % from 4 reviewers), if ya play it to have fun with no Eleetism or "Modern Shooter" expectations, you will have a blast with this game, I for one Am happy I spent 44.99 on it, Has been a blast to play and when Dedicated server files are released , I foresee some great Multiplayer games ahead.

One of the most entertaining and refreshing shooters I have played in awhile.

3. Re: Game Reviews Jun 13, 2011, 11:58 Jonny5

You are all sheep, Most reviews have been crappy 360 version, The PC version, if ya play it to have fun with no Eleetism or "Modern Shooter" expectations, you will have a blast with this game, I for one Am happy I spent 44.99 on it, Has been a blast to play and when Dedicated server files are released , I foresee some great Multiplayer games ahead.

One of the most entertaining and refreshing shooters I have played in awhile.

2. Re: Game Reviews Jun 13, 2011, 11:40 Bhruic

1. Re: Game Reviews Jun 13, 2011, 11:12 eRe4s3r

Coming up - Review sites that you don't want to browse, thats, any site that gives DNF more than 5/10  

17 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo