Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

Congrats to the Dallas Mavericks on their NBA championship. At one point this season after the Mavs completely dismantled the Knicks, I commented to a friend that if they could ever play as well in the playoffs as they always seem to during the season, they could be champs, and this year that's what they did. And then, of course, there's the schadenfreude of the Heat losing after LeBron alienated everyone outside of Miami with the way he decided to bring his talents to South Beach, but he seems well on his way to mending fences with the folks who once loved him.

Championship Links: Thanks Ant and Mike Martinez and Acleacius.
Play: Combat Hero Adventures.
Battle for the Boardroom.
Links: Has Sony Been Hacked This Week? Thanks TDW Geeks.
California To Release All Prisoners Who Seem Nice Enough.
Stories: Cleveland rejoices as LeBron comes up short in Finals.
Media: Dog With Electric Collar.
The Boy With Tape On His Face.
Ed O'Neill's Very First Class in Gracie Jiu-Jitsu.
The Funnies: DNF - Back to the 90s.
The Playoffs Cartoon - Savage Chickens.
xkcd- Magic School Bus.
That Damn Luke Keeps Meddling In His Affairs.

View
15 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

15. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 14, 2011, 00:38 dj LiTh

Well um....Duke Nukem Forever...

Not sure how it is yet but hey...its the duke..

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

14. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 13, 2011, 18:01 mag

Metro 2033 is a pretty good shooter, if you've got the machine to play it. It's a little consolized, but it's not too bad.  

13. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 13, 2011, 17:02 Mr. Tact

You know, I never did EP1 and EP2 for HL2. So, I started there for now. In fact, I think I'll do HL2 from the beginning just to warm-up... been a long time.  
Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

12. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 13, 2011, 13:53 Beamer

In FPS games? Not really. I think many companies focus more on the multiplayer side due to ongoing revenue from DLC but most major FPS games have a full on SP campaign. If you mean the 15-20 hour style campaigns of old then yeah, those are a dying breed. Many of those were padded out with repetition and key hunting though.

Agreed on all counts. Single player won't go anywhere because multiplayer can't drive sales as well. Yes, it can add legs to a title, but for the most part it doesn't happen that way very often anymore. Only a few games can be truly successful in multiplayer at a time, at least on consoles, and those few games are called Call of Duty, Halo and Gears of War. Nothing else does a very good job of holding on to a critical mass. It's getting better, though, as matchmaking becomes quicker. Used to be that a game with only 2000 people online at a time was a nightmare to find a match, meaning those last people would move on out of necessity. This is far less true now, but it's still not as good as on a PC where some games can keep a community with just one server.

But yes, the 15-20 hour campaign is dead. And why shouldn't it be? See my post on Monkey Island 2 in the PC Gaming forum - too much was tacked on in old games just for time. I feel like I spend all my time in Monkey Island 2 watching Guybrush walk across the screen so I can get him to the screen I want. Old FPS games aren't much different.
The real change, though, is in design. Think about Doom - a level is a bunch of mostly empty boxes. Little attention needed to be spent on aesthetics, textures are reused the entire time, scale never changes and a screenshot of one level looks just like another.
Now everything is set in a world, not a level. The levels themselves flow but are distinct. Textures can be reused but often have to be kind of hidden, and everything is very carefully detailed to look like it's real. And, given the setting of most games, everything is carefully made to look destroyed, which can take longer to do well than something made to look pristine.

It's not cheapness making these games shorter, I mean Doom was made by 5 or 6 guys and was 15-20 hours. Modern Warfare 2 was made by 150+ guys and took 6 hours. It's that the amount of man hours needed to make a single hour has skyrocketted, especially now that linear style games are about being a cinematic experience where you're constantly pushing forward rather than a key hunt in a small, enclosed, self-sufficient level you criss-cross multiple times and often spend at least a few minutes scratching your head backtracking trying to see what you missed.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

11. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 13, 2011, 13:31 Verno

That's all well and good but it doesn't change the fact single player shooter campaigns are a dying breed.

In FPS games? Not really. I think many companies focus more on the multiplayer side due to ongoing revenue from DLC but most major FPS games have a full on SP campaign. If you mean the 15-20 hour style campaigns of old then yeah, those are a dying breed. Many of those were padded out with repetition and key hunting though.

Playing: Infamous Second Son
Watching: Midsomer Murders, Dominion, The Knick

10. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 13, 2011, 13:09 PHJF

That's all well and good but it doesn't change the fact single player shooter campaigns are a dying breed.

People seem to like Crysis 2, go give that a whirl.

Steam + PSN: PHJF

9. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 13, 2011, 12:39 Verno

Personally I'm not a fan of gaming online any more. Between acting like jerks and my skills not being up to snuff anymore, I'd rather just chill with a single player campaign.

It all depends on the crowd IMHO. I find most Counter-Strike players to be obnoxious retards but I found a great server with laid back people who are around my age group. It's totally transformed the game for me, I have a great time whenever I play despite doing badly sometimes. Likewise when I played Call of Duty: World at War I would heavily troll the Men of God server which made the MP very amusing and fun despite most of the players being uptight jerks who take the casual gameplay way too seriously. MP is all about who you play with and how seriously you take it.

Playing: Infamous Second Son
Watching: Midsomer Murders, Dominion, The Knick

8. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 13, 2011, 11:27 nin

Personally I'm not a fan of gaming online any more. Between acting like jerks and my skills not being up to snuff anymore, I'd rather just chill with a single player campaign.

This is why, if I'm even going to contemplate multiplayer, it has to support bots. There's no way in hell I'll be gaming with the COD crowd that talks smack and plays 12 hours a day.

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

7. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 13, 2011, 11:25 Mr. Tact

kanniballl wrote on Jun 13, 2011, 11:19:

I totally agree with this sentiment.

6. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 13, 2011, 11:19 kanniballl

PHJF wrote on Jun 13, 2011, 11:05:
There's no reason to play a modern single player shooter, they are all shit. Just go play FEAR (ONE) or Half-Life again or something.

Wolfentein and Singularity were OK, I guess.

Eh, that's not completely fair.

Some of the single-player FPS games are alright. They're just a little on the short side and might not be worth the money unless they're on sale or something.

The stories are often interesting enough to keep you going, they're not epic works of fiction but they often get the job done. Why is this happening, what will the epic victory look like, how can I possibly stop them, what's the inevitable plot-twist going to be, etc.

The AI is never anywhere near an actual gamer, but they do well enough between being in numbers and higher stats.

This comment was edited on Jun 13, 2011, 11:25.

"Space. It seems to go on and on forever. But then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you."
-Fry, Futurama

5. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 13, 2011, 11:05 PHJF

There's no reason to play a modern single player shooter, they are all shit. Just go play FEAR (ONE) or Half-Life again or something.

Wolfentein and Singularity were OK, I guess.

Steam + PSN: PHJF

4. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 13, 2011, 10:29 Mr. Tact

Yeah, this would be for PC -- last console I bought was Super Nintendo. Suggestions welcome.  

3. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 13, 2011, 10:22 kanniballl

Mr. Tact wrote on Jun 13, 2011, 10:04:
Count me among those routing against Lebron and the Heat despite not being much on a NBA fan.

On a totally different subject, I've got the itch for a FPS. Haven't played one in quite some time... was considering giving CoD4:MW a shot. Comments?

I only played CoD4:MW on a console.

As a console shooter, it was quite good. It had some interesting moments, a decent story (for a shooter), and was good all-around.

As a PC shooter, I have no idea. My "guess" is it might feel a little watered down compared to other offerings.

From the single player experience:
  • You play as different people during different parts of the story. Something is going on and you (the player) experience it from different organizations investigating it or dealing with it (US Marines, UK special ops, etc).

• I found one scene/bit in the SP experience shocking. Not disgusting-shocking, but more like "wow, I can't believe decided to do it."

• The main characters were interesting enough, some were even likable

• It's on rails, but it does a good job with it considering.

• The weapons are decent, you can get different variations of the same gun (different scope, silencer, etc).

• The maps / environments are varied enough in: metal ship on rough seas, desert, jungle, etc

• I don't recall how good the AI was, since it's been a while

• As a console game it was worth a rental or a purchase on-sale. By now you should be able to find it at a cheap price.

But as a PC game, no idea.

This comment was edited on Jun 13, 2011, 10:30.

"Space. It seems to go on and on forever. But then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you."
    -Fry, Futurama

2. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 13, 2011, 10:21 Mr. Tact

Oh, and I'm more interested in the single player experience / campaigns then the multi-player on-line aspects...  

1. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 13, 2011, 10:04 Mr. Tact

Count me among those routing against Lebron and the Heat despite not being much on a NBA fan.

On a totally different subject, I've got the itch for a FPS. Haven't played one in quite some time... was considering giving CoD4:MW a shot. Comments?

15 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
    < Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo