Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Epic Hacked

A break-in on the Epic Games Website is the latest in a rash of data breaches on gaming websites. Here's a note from Epic passed along by Mouser:

Our Epic Games web sites and forums were recently hacked. After some downtime, they're back up and running now.

The hackers may have obtained the email addresses and encrypted passwords of forum users. Plaintext passwords weren't revealed, but it's possible that those passwords could be obtained by a brute-force attack on the encrypted passwords. Therefore, we have reset all passwords. Your new password at the bottom of this message.

The Unreal Developer Network (UDN) hasn't been compromised. Thankfully, none of our web sites ask for, or store, credit card information or other financial data.

We're sorry for the inconvenience, and appreciate everyone's patience as we wrestle our servers back under control.

Tim Sweeney
Founder, Epic Games Inc

View
59 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

39. Re: Epic Hacked Jun 11, 2011, 23:21 Slashman

killer_roach wrote on Jun 11, 2011, 22:54:
Teddy wrote on Jun 11, 2011, 22:27:
Do you also defend a police officer who stands aside when a crime is committed? It's not like he's paid to stop criminals, right? Much the same way, say, a company's network security administrator is?

You're assuming a) a network administrator works 24/7 and b) is able to root out any potential hack threat on his own. Either is ludicrous, and show a fatally naive view of information security technology.

To use your analogy, in many hacking cases it'd be like blaming a police officer in Boston for a terrorist attack in San Diego.

With your rather interesting POV, I'm curious to know what you think the actual solution to the problem is? You know, apart from screaming at the perpetrators that they are horrible, horrible people?(Because we all know that works really well...)

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

38. Re: Epic Hacked Jun 11, 2011, 22:54 killer_roach

Teddy wrote on Jun 11, 2011, 22:27:
Do you also defend a police officer who stands aside when a crime is committed? It's not like he's paid to stop criminals, right? Much the same way, say, a company's network security administrator is?

You're assuming a) a network administrator works 24/7 and b) is able to root out any potential hack threat on his own. Either is ludicrous, and show a fatally naive view of information security technology.

To use your analogy, in many hacking cases it'd be like blaming a police officer in Boston for a terrorist attack in San Diego.

37. Re: Epic Hacked Jun 11, 2011, 22:27 Teddy

killer_roach wrote on Jun 11, 2011, 22:17:
Teddy wrote on Jun 11, 2011, 22:03:
That you put hackers and rapists in the same category shows a pretty sad sense of logic.

How many other crimes can you think of where people blame the victim? That's exactly what's going on, as much as you may try to demonize the targets of the hackers. Criminal behavior is criminal behavior - full stop.

Demonizing? Really? Is that what I'm doing by suggesting that these companies have a responsibility to secure their servers?

As a matter of fact, I can think of innumerable crimes where the 'victim' carries some of the blame. Our society has gotten so pathetically coddled that they're starting to believe they have no responsibility to defend themselves, physically or otherwise. While there are those who legitimately are unable to do so, the majority are simply too lazy to learn.

36. Re: Epic Hacked Jun 11, 2011, 22:19 space captain

Teddy wrote on Jun 11, 2011, 22:17:
While they were no doubt clubbing a neighbouring tribe over the head and stealing their women.

to be fair, its just what the Bear God told them to do

Go forth, and kill!

35. Re: Epic Hacked Jun 11, 2011, 22:17 Teddy

space captain wrote on Jun 11, 2011, 22:08:
It WILL NOT CHANGE.

tsk tsk - thats what the neanderthals said

While they were no doubt clubbing a neighbouring tribe over the head and stealing their women.

34. Re: Epic Hacked Jun 11, 2011, 22:17 killer_roach

That you put hackers and rapists in the same category shows a pretty sad sense of logic.

How many other crimes can you think of where people blame the victim? That's exactly what's going on, as much as you may try to demonize the targets of the hackers. Criminal behavior is criminal behavior - full stop.

33. Re: Epic Hacked Jun 11, 2011, 22:16 Teddy

Cutter wrote on Jun 11, 2011, 17:44:
I doubt it's Anonymous as they're much more political. It's probably just asshole thieves out of Russia or China or the like. And regardless, it's not like these corporations lack the funds to properly secure our information, they simply choose not to. But that's what class action suits are for.

That's a possibility. But then recall not too long ago the general consensus was that there was a splintering of Anonymous. One of the unofficial spokesmen for the group basically said that there were a lot of people who had joined in that weren't there for the right reasons. They were just people looking to be shit disturbers, rather than interested in any of the things that Anonymous claims to stand for.

As is the nature of any group of people, when it becomes large enough, there will be factions and when the divide in philosophy becomes great enough, they'll part ways. If one of those splinters happens to have little to no moral or ethical compunctions, then with the skills they learned as part of the collective, they could become anything from annoyances (as we're seeing here) to real, actual, threats to society.

So while yes, it doesn't seem that Anonymous is directly responsible, I'd hazard a guess that they could be indirectly so, via the technical education of people who just want to stir the pot for no reason, or worse for their own personal gain.

32. Re: Epic Hacked Jun 11, 2011, 22:08 space captain

It WILL NOT CHANGE.

tsk tsk - thats what the neanderthals said

Go forth, and kill!

31. Re: Epic Hacked Jun 11, 2011, 22:03 Teddy

killer_roach wrote on Jun 11, 2011, 21:00:
yuastnav wrote on Jun 11, 2011, 19:13:
Right, because pretending that a problem doesn't exist makes it go away. That always works like a charm!
Maybe banks shouldn't use vaults and just keep the money in the lobby! Surely people aren't douche bags and won't just, you know, take it. No, that thought is completely preposterous!

If people aren't taking stuff, there's no problem where it's kept. Love the "blame the victim" logic, by the way... I see a future for you in defending rapists.

The question here is not one of morality, but one of practicality and personal responsibility. People WILL take stuff. That's the reality of the world, and the reality of humanity. It WILL NOT CHANGE.

Knowing that, then if there is something you don't want others to take, you have the responsibility to secure and defend it. Would you leave your family's life savings in a pile on your front yard and then when it goes missing, would you then tell them it's not your fault? That you're a victim?

This is the same reason that if you leave your car unlocked and it gets stolen, then you get nothing from the insurance company. Because your own personal negligence in terms of security enabled those who stole from you. That is the same thing we're seeing here, minus the involvement of insurance companies.

There is a question of how much more they could have done vs how talented the hackers were, but none of us know the specifics. Either way, in a business that involves people PAID to secure the servers and website, to exonerate them for their failure and place all the blame on the hackers is just stupid and naive.

Both sides are to blame, one more than the other certainly, but there are no helpless 'victims' here for you to raise on a pedestal.

30. Re: Epic Hacked Jun 11, 2011, 21:46 ledhead1969

You are both wrong.

Is this an...*puts on sunglasses*...Epic Fail?

29. Re: Epic Hacked Jun 11, 2011, 21:00 killer_roach

yuastnav wrote on Jun 11, 2011, 19:13:
Right, because pretending that a problem doesn't exist makes it go away. That always works like a charm!
Maybe banks shouldn't use vaults and just keep the money in the lobby! Surely people aren't douche bags and won't just, you know, take it. No, that thought is completely preposterous!

If people aren't taking stuff, there's no problem where it's kept. Love the "blame the victim" logic, by the way... I see a future for you in defending rapists.

28. Re: Epic Hacked Jun 11, 2011, 20:59 Alamar

Of all the shit threads on bluesnews.com, this has to be the one most filled with stupid...

What a sad state some of this community has come.

-Alamar

27. Re: Epic Hacked Jun 11, 2011, 20:11 SectorEffector

MuzixMon wrote on Jun 11, 2011, 19:26:
I wish they could've hacked CliffyB's EGO and knocked it down a few notches! Man, that guy is a conceeded jerk and loves to down pc gamers!

I always get general flak when I call Cliffy an absolute Dbag. I love how gamers think any of these guys give a SHIT about them or what they want to play. Warren Spector why!!

Cliffy is the top "rest on your laurels" dev that exists.

Tim Sweeny laughs at indie game developers for "emailing their fans about bugs"

I cant wait for the time passage of last generations modders becoming the next full on developers.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6-Q2iICtlIc

26. Re: Epic Hacked Jun 11, 2011, 19:26 MuzixMon

I wish they could've hacked CliffyB's EGO and knocked it down a few notches! Man, that guy is a conceeded jerk and loves to down pc gamers!  

"When all thats left is console gaming, I will game no more."

25. Re: Epic Hacked Jun 11, 2011, 19:13 yuastnav

DangerDog wrote on Jun 11, 2011, 14:19:
Dear hackers,

Stop being douche bags.

Thanks

The Internet DangerDog

24. Re: Epic Hacked Jun 11, 2011, 19:00 wtf_man

Sempai wrote on Jun 11, 2011, 18:51:
Epic and their arrogant little twit twat CliffyB can go die in a fire.

Fixed.

23. Re: Epic Hacked Jun 11, 2011, 18:51 Sempai

I was banned for simply speaking my mind a year or two ago on their forums concerning the sad state Gears 2's matchmaking system was in and I haven't been back since.

Epic and their arrogant little twit CliffyB can go die in a fire.

22. Re: Epic Hacked Jun 11, 2011, 18:36 space captain

Kajetan wrote on Jun 11, 2011, 15:01:
Parallax Abstraction wrote on Jun 11, 2011, 14:43:
Anonymous (or whoever): Please either DIAF or proceed to go to prison and live a horrendous rest of your life. You deserve it.
Why prison? RAPE THEM! AND THEIR GRANDMOTHERS!! AND THEIR FAMILIES!!! Then kill them, and their grandmothers and families. That'll teach them!

im down for some good old fashioned raping.. but id rather take their sisters and/or daughters, ages 10-20.. ok we can go as high as 30...

and ok we can go as low as 5 too, its a nice challenge getting in there

yeh! gotta love it when people are evil, makes shit fun.. raping, killing, burning, gouging, breaking, etc. - and its legit too, because they sooooooo deserve it

good times

Go forth, and kill!

21. Re: Epic Hacked Jun 11, 2011, 18:30 Yosemite Sam

Internet Security - Oxymoron.

PSN id PR345, PST - D3, GTA5, Borderlands 2, Grid 2, GTA4, BoS, RDR, GT5, COD WaW, KZ2, RAGE, Dirt2, MC LA, Skate2, LBP, Dead Nation - Wanna jam? Hit me up on PSN, Mention Blues News.

CIV4 MOD http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=326525

20. Re: Epic Hacked Jun 11, 2011, 18:19 Mashiki Amiketo

Longswd wrote on Jun 11, 2011, 17:55:
I haven't seen this reported yet but I received an email Friday from Codemasters
Gotta read the entire article: http://www.bluesnews.com/s/122603/codemasters-hacked

--
"For every human problem,
there is a neat, simple solution;
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

59 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo