Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Quote of the Day

"Gaikai as well as OnLive, they're pioneers in that [area]. But I also think that [current cloud gaming solutions] can be dangerous in a way, from a business perspective," Crytek CEO Cevat Yerli told Gamasutra at E3. "...I have concerns about the way it's approached, but I think cloud gaming is the future, inevitably."

View
11 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

11. Re: Quote of the Day Jun 12, 2011, 01:54 Jerykk

How could you ever own a streaming-only game? That development is impossible. Relying on the company to send you the data to play means never, ever owning it in any sense.

Yeah, I don't think he quite understands the concept of cloud gaming. You don't own or even possess games in such a system. Naturally, that means no mods either.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

10. Re: Quote of the Day Jun 11, 2011, 12:57 nin

I understand why a lot of you don't want it now, but eventually it will be the norm.

Consumers will decide that, not big companies. You can build the biggest cloud in the world, but if no one wants to use it, you're fucked.

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

9. Re: Quote of the Day Jun 11, 2011, 08:43 StingingVelvet

Esoteric wrote on Jun 11, 2011, 04:18:
I understand why a lot of you don't want it now, but eventually it will be the norm. It could be 20, 50, 100 years from now, but the day when it becomes cheaper to do it that way rather than building your own system for the SAME EXACT EXPERIENCE, including mods, "ownership", etc., it just makes sense. The key is the "SAME EXACT EXPERIENCE." That's going to take quite a while, so I wouldn't worry about it anytime soon.

How could you ever own a streaming-only game? That development is impossible. Relying on the company to send you the data to play means never, ever owning it in any sense.

8. Re: Quote of the Day Jun 11, 2011, 08:03 Kajetan

Esoteric wrote on Jun 11, 2011, 04:18:
I understand why a lot of you don't want it now, but eventually it will be the norm.
Or eventually not. Nobody knows what will happen in 20, 50 or 100 years. And looking back at old predictions of our present, boy, we all will be so wrong about nearly everything

7. Re: Quote of the Day Jun 11, 2011, 05:34 WyldKat

I'll admit, the technology is pretty cool, but it's useless until these greedy ISPs get rid of the caps and actually upgrade their infrastructure. Even then it'll still likely have latency and picture quality issues it's currently plagued with.  

6. Re: Quote of the Day Jun 11, 2011, 04:18 Esoteric

I understand why a lot of you don't want it now, but eventually it will be the norm. It could be 20, 50, 100 years from now, but the day when it becomes cheaper to do it that way rather than building your own system for the SAME EXACT EXPERIENCE, including mods, "ownership", etc., it just makes sense. The key is the "SAME EXACT EXPERIENCE." That's going to take quite a while, so I wouldn't worry about it anytime soon.  

5. Re: Quote of the Day Jun 11, 2011, 03:02 mag

Enforced cloud gaming is the day I quit gaming. :/  

4. Re: Quote of the Day Jun 11, 2011, 03:02 Cutter

Certainly not the future with bandwith caps.

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

3. Re: Quote of the Day Jun 11, 2011, 01:54 Kajetan

Its not TEH FUTURE, Cervat. Thats just the usual marketing speak. It may be part of the future, an additional way to play games, to sell games, yes. But not a complete or even major replacement. Heck, i heard this "This is the future" talk so often (every new console cycle, 10 years ago when MMOs where teh new shit, now with all this Social Gaming bullcrap), i stopped listening ...  

2. Re: Quote of the Day Jun 10, 2011, 23:27 StingingVelvet

It's a future I won't be a part of there Cevat.  

1. Re: Quote of the Day Jun 10, 2011, 22:32 nin

"Gaikai as well as OnLive, they're pioneers in that [area]. But I also think that [current cloud gaming solutions] can be dangerous in a way..."

Cevat Yerli, on the first documented case of one of his games pirated on OnLive.

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

11 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo