Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

BF3 Campaign Around 6-10 Hours

This video interview conducted by Grey Viper at E3 discusses Battlefield 3 with DICE's Patrick Söderlund. They discuss various aspects of the game, and how it expands and improves upon previous games in the military shooter series. Along they way they ask how long the single-player campaign is expected to be, and received the following answer:

I don't have a number for you... yet, 'cause the game is not done yet, and I don't want to... To me the game can be anything from six, seven, eight, to ten hours, depending on what we net out once we're done. I think the most important thing for me is that the game delivers upon a consumer experience that we're happy with, and then, that will then... that's how we look at it, and that will tell how long the game is.

View
49 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

49. Re: BF3 Campaign Around 6-10 Hours Jun 11, 2011, 22:46 Dades

Sepharo wrote on Jun 11, 2011, 13:18:
I always hear on these board people talking about expensive movie tickets.

All the theaters around me have had adult tickets for $8 ($5 matinee) for as long as I can remember. Also the theater I go to has been voted top in the state for the past 3 years or so; all screens are DLP, seating is luxurious and stadium style, and they serve alcohol.

That's not the norm for North America and if you don't believe people then start googling prices. Matinees are cheap here but everywhere else is at least $12 a head for adults, usually closer to $14-20 depending on the theater and if its some dumb 3D film or not. The few cheap theaters I've been to simply rape you harder on concession prices so it's not like you're gaining much overall unless you want to look like a cheap dick to your date.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

48. Re: BF3 Campaign Around 6-10 Hours Jun 11, 2011, 13:18 Sepharo

I always hear on these board people talking about expensive movie tickets.

All the theaters around me have had adult tickets for $8 ($5 matinee) for as long as I can remember. Also the theater I go to has been voted top in the state for the past 3 years or so; all screens are DLP, seating is luxurious and stadium style, and they serve alcohol.

47. Re: BF3 Campaign Around 6-10 Hours Jun 11, 2011, 11:30 eRe4s3r

It always befuddles me that people have degenerated so much that they can not bring themselves to NOT eat and drink for 2 hours when watching a movie... seriously, whats up with that?  

46. Re: BF3 Campaign Around 6-10 Hours Jun 10, 2011, 22:12 Ventura

Historically, BF has always been about multiplayer. This is what the fanbase has come to expect, which is why you'll see the majority of BF fans not giving a shit about SP. Myself included.

Historically, it had bots too. I couldn't care about the single player campaign either, but you add the ability to throw bots onto any playable map and it's a day one purchase for me. You can have bots in what's a multiplayer game, and you have single player gamers happy too. It was a win/win.

Rather than just mess about with campaigns, I'd have been happy if they'd just have improved the bots' ability to pilot planes and choppers. It's such a pity they don't care anymore, because for me it's what made Battlefield Battlefield. Oh well, RIP.

45. Re: BF3 Campaign Around 6-10 Hours Jun 10, 2011, 18:58 DG

Hmm, I still have a bad taste from BF2142. Just constantly thinking what a great game it could be if every single person involved in developing it, publishing it, etc, had been someone else.

Actually I'd swap out a fair chunk of the players too. How can it be that so many people have sufficient intellect to operate a computer but cannot see the folly in rushing for the only raptor (or whatever the attack... flying thing... was called) and proceeding to try to cap a flag with it?

44. Re: BF3 Campaign Around 6-10 Hours Jun 10, 2011, 18:48 Sir Graves

6-10? Possibly only around SIX?? If it's that, then wow. Ten is lame enough these days (I'm old school where campaigns always lasted way longer), but if it's less than even that, it's a bummer. I hoped it was going to be meatier (that's what she said). I mean, yeah "MP is the point", etc., etc., etc., but still. For some of us, SP is also important and has a huge appeal.

What happened to the "twelve hours" of campaign you mentioned recently, DICE?

43. Re: BF3 Campaign Around 6-10 Hours Jun 10, 2011, 16:37 Suddenly_Dead

Sphinx wrote on Jun 10, 2011, 09:44:
gilly775 wrote on Jun 10, 2011, 09:04:
Sorry, not everyone wants to get sniped as soon as you spawn. SP fan here.

You must have been on some awful teams. Take heart though. In the BF series you can earn dog tags for stabbing people. I make it a personal mission to hunt down and stab snipers. Their crimson blood dripping off Mr. Stabby as they shed their mortal coil.

What's that Mr. Stabby? No, no, it's not time. Patience my friend.. patience....

Yeah, I've spent whole games just gunning for snipers, it's pretty fun. The only time I use sniper rifles is when I'm counter-sniping, but usually I prefer to just stab them. Or just smoke grenade them repeatedly

42. Re: BF3 Campaign Around 6-10 Hours Jun 10, 2011, 16:30 Teddy

Shineyguy wrote on Jun 10, 2011, 10:15:
People are commenting on the fact that the Battlefield series of games proper, were MP only games (1942, Vietnam, 2, 2142. They all had "Singleplayer" in that you were playing on the MP maps with bots filling out both teams.)

Quite right, but was and is are two different things. The previous games (before the bad company series) were all advertised as multiplayer games. Those are the trailers they showed, that was what they talked about, and ALL they talked about.

Bad Company 2 (never played 1) was sold as BOTH single player and multiplayer, and BF3 is being sold the same way. Single player trailers shown, hands on demos for it, etc.

Battlefield is no longer JUST a Multiplayer series, and as such, customers have every right to expect a solid single player experience. Whether it's wise to purchase it ONLY to play single player is another question, but denying the fact that it has single player and proclaiming Battlefield 3 as JUST a multiplayer game is, again, just plain stupid.

As for the quote from Dice, thank you for sourcing it. Frankly, that was downright fucking stupid of them to say and I'm glad that no media picked up on it. If Kotick saw that exact same interview, those words would be thrown in EA's face and spouted in every interview he did from now on and like it or not, it would cost them sales from those people who are only interested in single player (yes, they still exist).

41. Re: BF3 Campaign Around 6-10 Hours Jun 10, 2011, 15:55 Creston

Eh, didn't they say it was "at least twelve" hours like a month ago? So now it's six?

Way to go there, Dice.

Creston

40. Re: BF3 Campaign Around 6-10 Hours Jun 10, 2011, 13:16 Ruffiana

Cutter wrote on Jun 9, 2011, 21:45:
Why even bother in that case? This is why I don't buy these sorts of games anymore. I can see 2 or 3 movies for $15 and get 6-10 hours entertainment, as opposed to $70 they want.

Must be nice to have $5 movie tickets. What's it like living in 1999?

In my time and area, most films are 90-120 minutes long so I'd be looking at 3-5 movies to provide 6-10 hours of entertainment. At roughly $11 each that would be $33-$55. Of course, there's also gas to and from the theater and I'm likely going to pay out the wazoo for any drinks or snacks as that's where most theaters make any profit.

Perhaps a few movies is a bit cheaper, but then if I'm buying Battlefield 3 for the single-player experience I've got some other issues I should really sort out first. Something tells me I'm far more likely to get way more than a mere 10 hours of entertainment out of that type of game.

39. Re: BF3 Campaign Around 6-10 Hours Jun 10, 2011, 13:06 descender

Are we still pretending steam slows down games?  

38. Re: BF3 Campaign Around 6-10 Hours Jun 10, 2011, 12:50 Verno

Defense grid looks great, I don't see a huge difference between my steam version and this version. I have a comcast cable internet connection through 17-20mb down, 4-6mb up.

Of course not, Defense Grid isn't exactly a graphical barn buster to begin with. You will see a huge difference with any modern title.

Playing: Divinity Original Sin, Destiny, Fire Emblem
Watching: Continuum, Star Trek TNG, Haunt

37. Re: BF3 Campaign Around 6-10 Hours Jun 10, 2011, 12:02 Tumbler

Might as well just rent it for the consoles then, you'll probably still get better visuals than the OnLive version.

Onlive is having a special now where you can spend $10+ and they'll give you a 100% off coupon that you can use on something else. They have a good selection of upcoming games for a change, including heroes of Might and magic... I think the least you can get away with spending is approx $13.99 (defense grid), which is what I did.

Defense grid looks great, I don't see a huge difference between my steam version and this version. I have a comcast cable internet connection through 17-20mb down, 4-6mb up.

I'd jump on that and use the coupon on an upcoming game. I think I'm going to go for Heroes of M&M. (assuming it's offered while the coupon is valid) It's hard to go wrong at that price. Worst case I suppose I can buy the Witcher 2.

99gamers.com-Game trading site, PC digital trading!
Kickstarter "Game Developer"!

36. Re: BF3 Campaign Around 6-10 Hours Jun 10, 2011, 11:17 Wildone

Yea I dont give a toss if they market it that way, I will be online day 1 in my A10 bombing the crap out of ground pounders..  

35. Re: BF3 Campaign Around 6-10 Hours Jun 10, 2011, 11:11 Elessar

Teddy wrote on Jun 9, 2011, 22:35:
No, it is NOT a multiplayer game. You may prefer that side of it, but this is being built, marketed and sold as a single player AND multiplayer game. People have every right to expect a reasonble single player experience from a game that's being sold as such. Telling them they shouldn't because YOU prefer multiplayer, or because YOU think the single player component is unimportant is just plain stupid.
Historically, BF has always been about multiplayer. This is what the fanbase has come to expect, which is why you'll see the majority of BF fans not giving a shit about SP. Myself included.

"You don't get what you deserve, you get what you get."

34. Re: BF3 Campaign Around 6-10 Hours Jun 10, 2011, 11:10 everyone

Verno wrote on Jun 10, 2011, 10:41:
That makes a lot of sense actually considering all of the free Source stuff and HL1 certainly set the mod community expectation too.
But you're not really buying it for the MP then, are you? More the engine.

33. Re: BF3 Campaign Around 6-10 Hours Jun 10, 2011, 10:41 Verno

everyone wrote on Jun 10, 2011, 10:33:
If you bought HL2 for the multiplayer, I feel very sorry for you.

That makes a lot of sense actually considering all of the free Source stuff and HL1 certainly set the mod community expectation too.

32. Re: BF3 Campaign Around 6-10 Hours Jun 10, 2011, 10:33 everyone

justice7 wrote on Jun 10, 2011, 07:10:
if you buy shooters for the single player only i feel very sorry for you.
If you bought HL2 for the multiplayer, I feel very sorry for you.

31. Re: BF3 Campaign Around 6-10 Hours Jun 10, 2011, 10:22 Verno

Single-player fans: hope that this game comes out for OnLive, that way there you can pay $5.99 for a 5-day pass, beat the single player in that time, and not have to pay full price if you're not interested in multiplayer.

Might as well just rent it for the consoles then, you'll probably still get better visuals than the OnLive version.

30. Re: BF3 Campaign Around 6-10 Hours Jun 10, 2011, 10:15 G-Snake

While it would be kind of shitty to buy a full-priced game for a 10 hour experience, you're robbing yourself of the vast majority of the game by not playing multiplayer.

I bought Battlefield 2 for $50 and have put 600 hours into the multiplayer, probably closer to 1000 if you take mods into account.

1000 hours of some of the best entertainment I've ever had for $50 is a steal. That's roughly 5 cents an hour I've paid to play this game for over 6 years.

Single-player fans: hope that this game comes out for OnLive, that way there you can pay $5.99 for a 5-day pass, beat the single player in that time, and not have to pay full price if you're not interested in multiplayer.

49 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo