Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Duke Nukem Forever Starts Shipping

Since it's already the 10th in some territories, Steam News announces that Duke Nukem Forever is now available in places. Word is the game is available in Australia, New Zealand, and parts of Asia, and the shooter sequel "will release in other regions soon." DNF is due in North America on Tuesday.

View
32 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

32. Re: kez@thesafehouse.org Jun 10, 2011, 21:33 Asmo

Picked it up yesterday almost for nostalgia's sake (more money than brains I guess) and played for an hour or so...

Yeah, clunky controls, tips popping up all the time ("Orly? I need to be told what button to use to throw the item I'm told? Every fucking time? RLY?!?!"). Turn off post processing, it's fucking god awful (the DOF for zoom is broken to shit, half the time the monster is blurred out completely).

Set pieces are ridiculously easy. The humour is a rerun of the original, which should be good but I guess being a 20 something when it came out I was much more amenable to tit/dick/fart jokes than I am now. Overall, it tries way too hard to look and feel like Duke3D while the game underdelivers in almost every other category.

Incidentally, it runs pretty slick on 6088x1200 eyefinity on a single 5970, zero technical issues getting that setup the game adjusts quite handily to it).

All things being said, I'm enjoying Red Faction:Armageddon (which I picked up at the same time) a hell of a lot more than poor old DNF.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

31. Re: kez@thesafehouse.org Jun 10, 2011, 14:27 DNForever

Despite my handle I haven't paid much attention to it either, and I'm with you on the Build nostalgia - the stock maps were good for Dukematching but the ease of Building maps put the fun factor though the roof. I made one with two bases high above a lava pit, with a single walkway connecting them. My friend made one where you jumped around on rooftops, that was a really good map. Holy shit I miss those days.

Kezzek wrote on Jun 9, 2011, 23:45:
The first one banked enough goodwill from me for a lifetime. Man, the memories of my buddy and I spending hour and hours putting together maps in the Build engine... Christ those were good times.

I never sweated waiting for DNF, didn't pay that much attention because it never seemed imminent. I didn't pay attention to any grandiose belching from Broussard either. None of this was any skin off my nose.

My aforementioned buddy pre-ordered DNF and posted a screencap of the Steam notice that DNF was finished pre-installing. I'll pick DNF up soon and we'll have some good reminiscing.

30. Re: Duke Nukem Forever Starts Shipping Jun 10, 2011, 11:10 SM0k3

this game is horrible, linear and boring....but I can't say I expected it to be any other way. It's a shame that the original that was made some 15 years ago out shines it in every imaginable way -- I'm just happy I didn't drop 40 bones on this junk while all the hype was going about....  

29. Re: Duke Nukem Forever Starts Shipping Jun 10, 2011, 10:16 wtf_man

Well...I'll check out the reviews too... but it's looking like I will wait for the bargain bin on this one.

I hope someone finds George in an alley with the snot beat out of him for 12+ years of bullshit.

28. Re: Duke Nukem Forever Starts Shipping Jun 10, 2011, 09:29 Verno

I put in 3 hours last night and it's just not a fun game. The set pieces aren't worth putting in time for the rest. Weapon limit really feels bizarre just like the demo and I haven't found a way to hack it out yet. The game itself feels very cobbled together, it doesn't feel like a cohesive experience directed by a single company and I guess it's obvious why that's the case. It's a shame after all this time that DNF comes out with a whimper instead of a bang. I hope the inevitable Gearbox followup is better.  

Playing: Dragon Age Inquisition, Far Cry 4, This War of Mine
Watching: The Fall, The Walking Dead, Leon

27. Re: Duke Nukem Forever Starts Shipping Jun 10, 2011, 08:42 [VG]Reagle

Is Rip Van Winkle in the room ?  

I am MUCH MUCH MUCH MUCH MUCH MUCH MUCH MUCH MUCH MUCH MUCH MUCH better now.

26. Re: Duke Nukem Forever Starts Shipping Jun 10, 2011, 08:40 [VG]Reagle

xXBatmanXx wrote on Jun 10, 2011, 03:13:
Hay guys, I played the game. 12 hours on the hardest setting, and that is with a bunch of screwing around and replaying parts to try different things. It is EXACTLY LIKE THE DEMO. All weapons are avail at each lvel. The shotgun and handgun (to get the achievement) are the only thing yo need. If you don't care about achieve, then shotgun and railgun ftw. Game is easy and a joke. Funny one liners, but it is Serious Sam and Postal in 1 game.

The dick, tit, fart, wiener, jokes get old real quick.

Can probably play the game straight in 8 hours.

Did you like it, was it worth it?

I am MUCH MUCH MUCH MUCH MUCH MUCH MUCH MUCH MUCH MUCH MUCH MUCH better now.

25. Re: Duke Nukem Forever Starts Shipping Jun 10, 2011, 08:33 InBlack

xXBatmanXx wrote on Jun 10, 2011, 06:06:
Woohoooo@!

45 second respawn timer on SP campaign! AWESOME!

Say what???

I was cosidering maybe buying this game, just for old times sake. But hell, if its as bad as that no way Im going near it.

Hmmm, we do have it at our stores now. Maybe I could give it a whirl just to see what all the fuss is about.

I have a nifty blue line!

24. Re: Duke Nukem Forever Starts Shipping Jun 10, 2011, 08:11 Dunkirk

Holy crap. You guys are making me really, really regret pre-ordering this thing. Now, I'm NOT looking forward to getting home to play it. If it sucks as bad as you folks are suggesting, I'm going to want to stab myself for spending $45 on it.  
Acts 17:28 - "For in Him we live, and move, and have our being."

23. Re: Duke Nukem Forever Starts Shipping Jun 10, 2011, 07:59 PHJF

But would you want to?

Steam + PSN: PHJF

22. Re: Duke Nukem Forever Starts Shipping Jun 10, 2011, 07:30 xXBatmanXx

TheVocalMinority wrote on Jun 10, 2011, 07:17:
but it is Serious Sam and Postal in 1 game.

So you're saying it's awesome?

You sir are jaded....

Buy from GreenManGaming? Use this, we both get $2.00 - http://www.greenmangaming.com/?gmgr=purutuwi

21. Re: Duke Nukem Forever Starts Shipping Jun 10, 2011, 07:17 TheVocalMinority

but it is Serious Sam and Postal in 1 game.

So you're saying it's awesome?

Assley Putz
"Was vocalminority assley putzs most recent handle?"
-nin May 16, 2012, 10:52

20. Re: Duke Nukem Forever Starts Shipping Jun 10, 2011, 06:06 xXBatmanXx

Woohoooo@!

45 second respawn timer on SP campaign! AWESOME!

Buy from GreenManGaming? Use this, we both get $2.00 - http://www.greenmangaming.com/?gmgr=purutuwi

19. Re: Duke Nukem Forever Starts Shipping Jun 10, 2011, 05:41 Ventura

Such a pity. Duke 3d was the bees knees when it came out all those years ago. Took all the attention off of Doom and everything.

Of course, then Quake came out, and that went and took the attention off of Duke...

Like someone else said, good times.

Pity about this though. I anticipate it hitting the bargain bin awfully quickly. The price will hit the floor.

18. Re: Duke Nukem Forever Starts Shipping Jun 10, 2011, 05:05 Kajetan

SectorEffector wrote on Jun 10, 2011, 01:36:
Duke Never should only carry 2 weapons. Ever.
+ no kick
And the Duke is no Auto-Heal-Pussy, which has take take cover to heal. The Duke uses band-aid and STAYS in the middle of a gunfight.

This game is some kind of weird Duke Nukem-Mod for some Modern Warfare title. This is NOT a Duke game.

17. Re: Duke Nukem Forever Starts Shipping Jun 10, 2011, 03:13 xXBatmanXx

Hay guys, I played the game. 12 hours on the hardest setting, and that is with a bunch of screwing around and replaying parts to try different things. It is EXACTLY LIKE THE DEMO. All weapons are avail at each lvel. The shotgun and handgun (to get the achievement) are the only thing yo need. If you don't care about achieve, then shotgun and railgun ftw. Game is easy and a joke. Funny one liners, but it is Serious Sam and Postal in 1 game.

The dick, tit, fart, wiener, jokes get old real quick.

16. Re: Duke Nukem Forever Starts Shipping Jun 10, 2011, 01:36 SectorEffector

entr0py wrote on Jun 9, 2011, 22:55:
Is it just me or does it seem the average reactions went from cautious optimism to bitter contempt in a matter of days? I guess the demo must have hit hard. I'm still holding out to see reviews; companies screw up brief demos all the time.

Longtime Duke fan.

It was an awful, awful, awful demo.

Duke Never should only carry 2 weapons. Ever.
+ no kick

such a no sale / 4.99 on steam one day.

btw.. Longtime duke 3D fan.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6-Q2iICtlIc

15. Re: kez@thesafehouse.org Jun 9, 2011, 23:53 nin

I'll pick DNF up soon and we'll have some good reminiscing.

Let us know if you end up reminiscing about DN3D, or DNF. I'm better it's the former.

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

14. kez@thesafehouse.org Jun 9, 2011, 23:45 KezClone

The first one banked enough goodwill from me for a lifetime. Man, the memories of my buddy and I spending hour and hours putting together maps in the Build engine... Christ those were good times.

I never sweated waiting for DNF, didn't pay that much attention because it never seemed imminent. I didn't pay attention to any grandiose belching from Broussard either. None of this was any skin off my nose.

My aforementioned buddy pre-ordered DNF and posted a screencap of the Steam notice that DNF was finished pre-installing. I'll pick DNF up soon and we'll have some good reminiscing.

13. Re: Duke Nukem Forever Starts Shipping Jun 9, 2011, 23:20 WyldKat

entr0py wrote on Jun 9, 2011, 22:55:
Is it just me or does it seem the average reactions went from cautious optimism to bitter contempt in a matter of days? I guess the demo must have hit hard. I'm still holding out to see reviews; companies screw up brief demos all the time.

Honestly you should download the demo and judge it for yourself. I have no doubt it will receive padded scores not unlike LA Noire because of it simply being what it is.

32 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo