Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Evening Tech Bits

View
12 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

12. Re: Evening Tech Bits Jun 11, 2011, 09:18 avianflu

i wrote a short nothing special review of a projector that said the lumens werent nearly as bright as the manufacturer suggested. didnt get published. So I emailed new egg and got a response that the review must have been inappropriate somehow and asked for a copy. It wasnt in any way an angry or irrational review. When they read the draft of the review, newegg pointed out their published policy that all reviews are selected for publication. So i got a non-answer why my review wasnt selected. As a result I take all of their reviews with a grain of salt. Still use them for their pricing of course. But the reviews are "selected" which makes me think twice about any item I buy. In contrast look at amazon, which will publish almost any review, even nasty disgruntled ones.  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

11. Re: Evening Tech Bits Jun 10, 2011, 12:12 Darks

nin wrote on Jun 10, 2011, 11:50:
How do you know they sensor reviews? I buy from NewEgg all the time and I always use user reviews to get my feel for their products. But I do take what others say with a grain of salt too. Iím a network Admin, so I know Tech.

Do you censor your sensors?

heh! funny nin!

Creator of the Neverwnter Nights Eye of the Beholder Series of Mods.

http://nwvault.ign.com/View.php?view=Modules.Detail&id=6375

10. Re: Evening Tech Bits Jun 10, 2011, 11:50 nin

How do you know they sensor reviews? I buy from NewEgg all the time and I always use user reviews to get my feel for their products. But I do take what others say with a grain of salt too. Iím a network Admin, so I know Tech.

Do you censor your sensors?

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

9. Re: Evening Tech Bits Jun 10, 2011, 11:42 Darks

avianflu wrote on Jun 10, 2011, 11:04:
a great ad, though it bears mentioning that NewEgg censors its user reviews. They are haphazard about the censoring, but it happens.

How do you know they censor reviews? I buy from NewEgg all the time and I always use user reviews to get my feel for their products. But I do take what others say with a grain of salt too. Iím a network Admin, so I know Tech. And I know when someone is saying its shit or it good but how they come across saying it if they are knowledgeable or not. Sometimes, some of those reviews are someone not being happy because of a missing feature. Thatís not grounds in my opinion to knock down a score.

But I would like to know how you think they are removing bad reviews, because I have seen plenty of bad ones on their site.

This comment was edited on Jun 10, 2011, 12:13.

Creator of the Neverwnter Nights Eye of the Beholder Series of Mods.

http://nwvault.ign.com/View.php?view=Modules.Detail&id=6375

8. Re: Evening Tech Bits Jun 10, 2011, 11:04 avianflu

a great ad, though it bears mentioning that NewEgg censors its user reviews. They are haphazard about the censoring, but it happens.  

7. Re: Evening Tech Bits Jun 10, 2011, 10:41 Lokust

1) This is surely satire and protected speech.
2) The events in that video are exactly what happened when I last looked at a computer at best buy. Scanning the barcode with my phone to pull up the specs gave me more information than an employee could.

6. Re: Evening Tech Bits Jun 10, 2011, 09:17 Verno

They typically pay shit for wages and hire young, inexperienced people. It's not really any surprise why they don't know much about the products. Best Buy does train staff but there is no replacement for actual product usage. What's more amusing is when people bitch about the prices too. I think it was nin or some other idiot who was complaining about how they couldn't match Amazon prices awhile back. You want a brick and mortar with great return policies, huge selection of products, knowledgeable staff who know more than you do about everything and you want it at prices cheaper than Amazon. While we're dreaming, I'd like a pony.

Big box stores like Best Buy can't really compete with the internet in traditional product sales anymore, that's why they've made such a big push into services and mobile markets where there is actual profit margin on products.

Playing: Everquest Next Alpha, Diablo 3, Bravely Default
Watching: Evidence, Longmire, Chained

5. Re: best buy Jun 9, 2011, 23:24 Frijoles

I've had that happen at a Best Buy. I don't bother asking them for help anymore other than to tell me where something is. I can read the little card just as easily. Lately I just use my phone to look up the product on Newegg while I'm at Best Buy. Check price, reviews, etc. Best Buy staff is useless.  

4. Re: best buy Jun 9, 2011, 22:47 swedishfriend

In the letter they say that reportedly your video shows, bla bla bla. They send a cease and desist letter without looking at the ad that is readily available? I hope Newegg peeps got a good laugh out of that one. Nothing that Best Buy complains about is actually in the video. Height of stupidity.

And, yes the brief 2 months I worked at best buy was a glimpse into corporate ineptitude on a grand scale. We'd get conflicting messages in the same meeting (no pressure on the customers, must sell certain numbers of insurance plans). People would straight up lie to customers or pressure them to buy insurance plans by refusing to finalize the paperwork after an hour of going through a computer package (pc, monitor, printer, cables) if the customer didn't buy all the plans, etc. Needless to say someone like me who actually knows my stuff and cares about customers didn't last. They just made my life miserable the more customers liked me (some would even ask for me by name, at a Best Buy!!!) and the more I sold, the more the manager would keep telling me to go clean this or that isle while him and the rest of the scumbag crew stood around joking while waiting for another customer to mentally rape. Oh and the cables they keep trying to sell, 2000% mark-up I kid you not!!! I bought a printer cable (yeah it was a while ago) we sold it for $40 it was $2 our cost.

3. Re: Evening Tech Bits Jun 9, 2011, 22:25 Nameless Again

"BestBuy has spent years building goodwill in it's GeekSquad..."

I guess it would take years to build any type of will when you employ people that can't make it in the IT sector. And then supply them with discs that do the troubleshooting for them.

BestBuy, you crack me up!

2. Re: Evening Tech Bits Jun 9, 2011, 22:10 WyldKat

Best Buy can get bent. So what, he's wearing a blue tshirt and is totally clueless about the product he's hocking?

There's absolutely nothing in that commercial that says Best Buy or refers to any of their brandings, It's not even the same shade of blue shirt that Best Buy uses, sheesh.

1. Re: Evening Tech Bits Jun 9, 2011, 21:33 nin

"The fake Best Buy employee is depicted as being slovenly and uninformed about computer products..."

Fake my ass! That's the truth, and they know it!

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

12 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo