Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Neverwinter FAQ, E3 Media

This batch of screenshots and artwork show off Neverwinter, the upcoming Dungeons & Dragons RPG still in development at Cryptic Studios, in spite of Atari's recent sale of the developer to Perfect World. A new About Neverwinter document outlines what to expect from the game, accompanied by this FAQ, which answers some questions. We also have the E3 teaser trailer from the game, which shows off a lot of characters and environments, though not much in the way of actual gameplay. The FAQ leaves questions about pricing and system requirements unanswered, but does give some detail on support for player-developed content. Here's a bit on that:

Q: Will I be able to make my own adventures and play through them with my friends?
Yes! It wouldn’t be a true Neverwinter game without a content-creation tool! Players will be able to shape and add to the world of Neverwinter by creating and building their own adventures or full-fledged campaigns from the ground up using The Foundry for Neverwinter.

Q: What is The Foundry?
The Foundry for Neverwinter is your chance to craft the world of Neverwinter your way. A robust and powerful toolset, you can use The Foundry for Neverwinter to create and build new adventures and campaigns to share with your friends and the entire Neverwinter community. Learn more by visiting our Foundry informational page on the official website.

Q: Will I be able to play adventures created by other players?
Yes! Making player-authored content available to the community is an essential feature of Neverwinter and The Foundry makes it happen.

View
18 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

18. Re: Neverwinter FAQ, E3 Media Jun 10, 2011, 10:32 wtf_man

Well... "solo" (henchmen or not).. I'd want an offline mode too.

It should ALWAYS be an option for single player.

But since this is Cryptic, I'm not expecting a game with any real depth. It might be decent only after the community has done all of their content work for them. (About a year after release).

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

17. Re: Neverwinter FAQ, E3 Media Jun 9, 2011, 21:50 eRe4s3r

And thank you for showing you both suffer from dyslexia, as I clearly stated, previous NWN games had retarded henchmen AI, and a game focusing on replaceable henchmen is guaranteed to have even worse AI and lackluster party npcs, particularly when Cryptic develops it.

In fact, that alone makes sure this will be a laughable joke of an rpg. Offline, that is.

16. Re: Neverwinter FAQ, E3 Media Jun 9, 2011, 21:40 StingingVelvet

Offline mode and no sub or I won't buy it, period. I played all my NWN and NWN2 offline by myself.

Not saying that's the right way to play or that they have to do this, just saying I personally have no interest otherwise.

15. Re: Neverwinter FAQ, E3 Media Jun 9, 2011, 20:35 Than

you are actually running with that line of reasoning? thats how you are understanding this?

Thank you for saving me time. I was going to write a ramble about how silly his line of thought was. You did with far fewer characters.

14. Re: Neverwinter FAQ, E3 Media Jun 9, 2011, 19:53 Fion

I hope they stick to the 4e ruleset relatively well. Daggerdale was 'such' a disappointment as it completely through out everything that makes 4e such a fantastic edition.  

13. Re: Neverwinter FAQ, E3 Media Jun 9, 2011, 19:32 Cutter

WyldKat wrote on Jun 9, 2011, 18:59:
The Foundry has been awesome for STO and there's been some missions in it that have rivaled or exceeded most quests in typical MMOs. When you put the power of creation into the players hands you often get results that you would never see be greenlit due to time invested or other reasons. Of course there is lots of garbage too but STO has done a wonderful job of letting the community police itself and filter the bad out.

This is why I think this is good for Cryptic as they're good at getting all the core stuff in and assets but short on good content. Plus, as I've been saying for some time now, MMOs will just never produce content faster enough for players which is why most people are gone in 1-3 months and only show up for another or so with every expansion which is so limited anyway. This is the best way to provide an endless stream of new content to keep people around. Now the next thing will be looking at renumeration for amateur content creators. Just make it voluntary ala the shareware model. I mean, wouldn't you pay a quarter or a buck or something for a really good module as a thank you/tip? It keeps paying customers around, it keeps them happy, the devs happy, the investors happy. Everyone's happy!

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

12. Re: Neverwinter FAQ, E3 Media Jun 9, 2011, 18:59 WyldKat

The Foundry has been awesome for STO and there's been some missions in it that have rivaled or exceeded most quests in typical MMOs. When you put the power of creation into the players hands you often get results that you would never see be greenlit due to time invested or other reasons. Of course there is lots of garbage too but STO has done a wonderful job of letting the community police itself and filter the bad out.  

11. Re: Neverwinter FAQ, E3 Media Jun 9, 2011, 17:57 Muscular Beaver

space captain wrote on Jun 9, 2011, 16:29:
Muscular Beaver wrote on Jun 9, 2011, 16:12:
Well, I am all for a nice Forgotten Realms RPG, but some of these screenshots look far too cartooney and not at all like Forgotten Realms.
Lets hope they wont rape FR aswell...
*shivers at the thought of Drizzt in japanimation style*

it seems you can easily conceive exactly what forgotten realms is *really* like

but can you conceive of a world where some people actually like manga?

or is that just too fucking crazy to even consider

I dont fucking care what crap you make with mangas as long as you dont rape existing styles with it. Geez... You put a Ferrari sticker on your Mazda, huh?
Wait, that came out wrong.. You actually put a Mazda sticker on your Ferrari.

Oh that is so lame... You will PAY for your use of inappropriate dialogue!
- Mojo Jojo

10. Re: Neverwinter FAQ, E3 Media Jun 9, 2011, 17:39 Techie714 ©

Space Captain is on a roll today!  

Steam (ID)
http://steamcommunity.com/id/techie714/
DEAD SH0T
Keep your privacy!
http://prism-break.org/

9. Re: Neverwinter FAQ, E3 Media Jun 9, 2011, 17:27 Cutter

Well as they put it, this isn't a MMORPG, it's just an online RPG with solo and co-op play. Most content will be driven by the players so it's presumed that the Foundry will be somewhat more powerful for this than STO. I was just asking about it on their forums to see how powerful it will be, will there be scripting, automated functions, can we import new art assets such as models, textures, etc. We'll know soon enough I reckon.

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

8. Re: Neverwinter FAQ, E3 Media Jun 9, 2011, 17:23 space captain

eRe4s3r wrote on Jun 9, 2011, 16:35:
Haha.. coop online rpg? To save money on developing good NPC's.... thats kinda lame imo

you are actually running with that line of reasoning? thats how you are understanding this?

sorry but its laughably stupid

Go forth, and kill!

7. Re: Neverwinter FAQ, E3 Media Jun 9, 2011, 17:18 Bill Borre

It would be interesting if they adopted a F2P model with microtransactions for the popular player-made content, so if you or your teams mod got popular, you might get some financial incentive to create quality content.  

6. Re: Neverwinter FAQ, E3 Media Jun 9, 2011, 16:35 eRe4s3r

Haha.. coop online rpg? To save money on developing good NPC's.... thats kinda lame imo

Note, with this i mean the absolutely LAME and RETARDED henchmen that are so typical of the NWN Oc's - that they already plan that humans replace them probably means little to no effort is put into making AI henchmen that i actually care about.

To beat BG2 they really have to do proper NPC's that become group members, not just fire and forget henchmen ....

This comment was edited on Jun 9, 2011, 16:55.

5. Re: Neverwinter FAQ, E3 Media Jun 9, 2011, 16:29 space captain

Muscular Beaver wrote on Jun 9, 2011, 16:12:
Well, I am all for a nice Forgotten Realms RPG, but some of these screenshots look far too cartooney and not at all like Forgotten Realms.

it seems you can easily conceive exactly what forgotten realms is *really* like

but can you conceive of a world where some people actually like manga?

or is that just too fucking crazy to even consider

Go forth, and kill!

4. Re: Neverwinter FAQ, E3 Media Jun 9, 2011, 16:28 Tigger

Q: What is Neverwinter?
Neverwinter is a co-operative, online RPG based on the acclaimed Dungeons & Dragons fantasy roleplaying game. Epic stories, strategic gameplay and classic roleplaying await those heroes courageous enough to enter the fantastic world of Neverwinter!

Wow - I hope that coop doesn't get dropped at some point...

--
Tigger
Vic Fontaine for President

3. Re: Neverwinter FAQ, E3 Media Jun 9, 2011, 16:12 Muscular Beaver

Oh that is so lame... You will PAY for your use of inappropriate dialogue!
- Mojo Jojo

2. Re: Neverwinter FAQ, E3 Media Jun 9, 2011, 15:54 Longswd

Being Cryptic, you better cross your toes too. A half twist in the nut sack may not be unwarranted either.

I don't always drink carbonated Mexican rat piss, but when I do, I prefer Dos Equis.

1. Re: Neverwinter FAQ, E3 Media Jun 9, 2011, 15:34 LittleMe

This *looks* very nice. Community-made content - big plus. Fingers crossed!  

Political freedom can only be preceded by economic freedom which is preceded by monetary freedom.

18 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo