Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Arma 2 Free Announced

The Arma 2 Official Website announces Arma 2 Free, a free-to-play multiplayer version of Arma 2, the military shooter sequel from Bohemia Interactive Studios. They say this is set to launch this month, and offer this launch trailer to celebrate the news. Here's word:

Arma 2: Free redefines the free-to-play battlefield with its truly unrivalled scale and gameplay possibilities. Arma 2: Free serves up almost everything offered by the original Arma 2 - the '13th best PC game of all time', according to PC Gamer - minus the campaign, HD graphics and support for user-made addons and mods. Arma 2: Free is scheduled for release in June 2011.

Create your own custom-built scenarios or deploy a massive selection of missions and game-modes made by others. No micro-transactions, no hidden costs, just the same epic terrain and huge variety of equipment! This is Arma 2 Free - virtual war without the training wheels. Arma 2: Free to download, free to play, free to share, free to host, free to create... free to play redefined!

View
20 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

20. Re: Arma 2 Free Announced Jun 11, 2011, 07:14 Muscular Beaver

Overon wrote on Jun 10, 2011, 15:34:
What does that no HD comment mean exactly?
Console-like texture resolution.

Oh that is so lame... You will PAY for your use of inappropriate dialogue!
- Mojo Jojo
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

19. Re: Arma 2 Free Announced Jun 10, 2011, 15:34 Overon

What does that no HD comment mean exactly?  

18. Re: Arma 2 Free Announced Jun 10, 2011, 01:42 Ant

Ooh, I will have to try this again since I only played the single player demo.?  

Ant @ The Ant Farm: http://antfarm.ma.cx and Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net ...

17. Re: Arma 2 Free Announced Jun 9, 2011, 17:58 Teddy

JaguarUSF wrote on Jun 9, 2011, 13:09:
badasscat wrote on Jun 9, 2011, 11:30:
No HD gfx?!
Not familiar with the game,...so what does this mean

It means it'll work on more people's systems

Chances are it's more about conserving their bandwidth while delivering a free product. Hi res textures could mean multiple gigabytes more data per download.

16. Re: Arma 2 Free Announced Jun 9, 2011, 15:33 Muscular Beaver

Oh god...
The game will be flooded with cheaters and douchebags...
Not nice, not nice at all, Bohemia.

Oh that is so lame... You will PAY for your use of inappropriate dialogue!
- Mojo Jojo

15. Re: Arma 2 Free Announced Jun 9, 2011, 14:08 nimeq

JaguarUSF wrote on Jun 9, 2011, 13:09:
No HD gfx?!

Considering what they did with the DLC content, I imagine it means low resolution textures. And using lower resolution textures didn't really help in ARMA2 since the performance issues were elsewhere

lack of support for user-made mods and addons means you won't be able to connect to any of the multiplayer servers running the retail version and will be missing out on a major reason for playing single player user created campaigns.

I wonder... BE Warfare was no-mods necessary quite long and it was quite a lot of fun... except when you were fighting the AI or just bored driving through wilderness. As I understand, the mission editor is quite flexible even without modding.

14. Re: Arma 2 Free Announced Jun 9, 2011, 13:09 JaguarUSF

No HD gfx?!

13. Re: Arma 2 Free Announced Jun 9, 2011, 12:59 Prez

I only play Arma (and Operation FP before it) in Coop and Single Player. One shot-one kill MP + distinct lack of shooter skill = One Majorly frustrated Prez.

Still, very cool of BI.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

12. Re: Arma 2 Free Announced Jun 9, 2011, 12:25 Tumbler

Nice, I look forward to trying this. I'd probably have to set the graphics settings to ultra low anyway so I doubt I'll miss the HD graphics!  
99gamers.com-Game trading site, PC digital trading!
Kickstarter "Game Developer"!

11. Re: Arma 2 Free Announced Jun 9, 2011, 12:20 DangerDog

They might get a few more people to try it out but this just sounds like a multiplayer demo with the ability to create your own missions with the included editor rather than a "free" version of Arma 2.

lack of support for user-made mods and addons means you won't be able to connect to any of the multiplayer servers running the retail version and will be missing out on a major reason for playing single player user created campaigns.

10. Re: Arma 2 Free Announced Jun 9, 2011, 12:14 elefunk

Seems like a great way to do an extended free demo to entice people to buy the full game.  

9. Re: Arma 2 Free Announced Jun 9, 2011, 11:32 Whiskers

Just wait till you see how "non HD" those textures are. If they are like the "lite" versions of some of the DLC they are just blobs of color instead of any actual texture. Good way to sample the game though. Sadly this game is only playable, in my opinion, with the extensive aid of the modding community  

8. Re: Arma 2 Free Announced Jun 9, 2011, 11:30 Teddy

Having just watched the launch trailer... the graphics don't look significantly different to me from the original. What "HD Graphics" are we missing?  

7. Re: Arma 2 Free Announced Jun 9, 2011, 11:30 badasscat

No HD gfx?!

Not familiar with the game,...so what does this mean?

It is a fairly newer game,...how bad CAN it look?

6. Re: Arma 2 Free Announced Jun 9, 2011, 11:26 Drayth

Wow! How id software of them.  

5. Re: Arma 2 Free Announced Jun 9, 2011, 11:01 Teddy

My question is, is this a seperate product? If Arma2 Free offers the ability to play MP Arma2 without the HD graphics, etc... can I join in with the purchased version of Arma2 and play against the same people WITH HD graphics?

Obviously mods would be out of the question, but it would irk me a bit if there were no benefits to owning the actual game (outside of being able to play the actual game with mods, etc).

Just a curiosity at this point. Time will tell, I suppose. Would be nice to not have to have both Arma2 and Arma2 Free installed just to play with different segments of people.

4. Re: Arma 2 Free Announced Jun 9, 2011, 10:56 justice7

Teddy wrote on Jun 9, 2011, 10:54:
justice7 wrote on Jun 9, 2011, 10:52:
This seriously kicks ass!!!! I'm all over it. I mostly play these games for the multiplayer anyway, and getting more people to play the amazing mods out there is nothing but a great idea.

Arma 2: Free serves up almost everything offered by the original Arma 2 ... minus the campaign, HD graphics and support for user-made addons and mods.

By the sound of that, the free version will not have access to those 'amazing mods'.

Ah dammit, i should really have read it closer. Now i am all disappoint.

3. Re: Arma 2 Free Announced Jun 9, 2011, 10:54 Teddy

justice7 wrote on Jun 9, 2011, 10:52:
This seriously kicks ass!!!! I'm all over it. I mostly play these games for the multiplayer anyway, and getting more people to play the amazing mods out there is nothing but a great idea.

Arma 2: Free serves up almost everything offered by the original Arma 2 ... minus the campaign, HD graphics and support for user-made addons and mods.

By the sound of that, the free version will not have access to those 'amazing mods'.

2. Re: Arma 2 Free Announced Jun 9, 2011, 10:52 justice7

1. Re: Arma 2 Free Announced Jun 9, 2011, 10:45 InBlack

WoW. NO hidden catch? I will try this.  

I have a nifty blue line!

20 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo