Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Respawn Making Sci-fi Shooter

EA Games president Frank Gibeau confirmed at E3 that the upcoming project from Respawn Entertainment is a sci-fi shooter, reports Computer and Video Games. The first game from this startup developer formed by former Infinity Ward bosses Jason West and Vince Zampella was previously confirmed to be a new IP coming to Windows, Xbox 360, and PS3. Gibeau spoke with them about spotting games from Respawn and Insomniac in their annual first-person shooter release schedule. "Titles like Respawn - and I think the Insomniac title is a little bit more of an action game than a pure shooter - we'll sprinkle those in where we see opportunistic gaps, either in a release schedule or in a genre standpoint," he tells them. "Those typically are more sci-fi oriented shooters, where as the Medal of Honor and Battlefield brands are obviously more modern military oriented. So it allows us to pick and choose the best of the sci-fi shooters. It allows us to compete with things like Gears and Halo and put them on places in our release calendar where they're not cannibalistic to the core business and that's the essential strategy going forward."

View
17 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

17. Re: Respawn Making Sci-fi Shooter Jun 9, 2011, 13:51 Ruffiana

Topevoli wrote on Jun 9, 2011, 10:12:
Most people don't know Infinity Ward and the creation of a Respawn Ent. They know COD, BLOPS, MW3... They will not make the correlation that this is a game by the Modern Warfare creators.

Won't matter. If it's a good game, people will play it and love it. If it's a bad game, no amount of rockstar creds behind the formation of the company will make it any better. The vast majority of players will think EA made it either way.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

16. Re: Respawn Making Sci-fi Shooter Jun 9, 2011, 13:48 Ruffiana

Wallshadows wrote on Jun 9, 2011, 00:57:
Syfy.

Get with it.

That's copyrighted/trademarked now

15. Re: Respawn Making Sci-fi Shooter Jun 9, 2011, 11:15 Teddy

The Advocate wrote on Jun 9, 2011, 10:27:
I can't wait to play as a marine/colonist fighting off hordes of military/alien/rebel enemies!

That's SO awesomely original!

What if you were the alien fighting off marines and colonists that were trying to take over your planet?

14. Re: Respawn Making Sci-fi Shooter Jun 9, 2011, 11:13 Teddy

Topevoli wrote on Jun 9, 2011, 10:12:
Most people don't know Infinity Ward and the creation of a Respawn Ent. They know COD, BLOPS, MW3... They will not make the correlation that this is a game by the Modern Warfare creators.

That may well be true, but it's certainly not in my experience. Everyone I know that played CoD, regardless of Console or PC knew who Infinity Ward was and they knew when it was an IW CoD game and when it was Treyarch, they understood the difference and had different expectations accordingly.

Now that said, not all of them know about the schism between Infinity Ward and Activision and that the current developer named Infinity Ward is no longer the same team. That will no doubt hold some significance. But I'm sure EA will capitalize on "The creators of the Call of Duty / Modern Warfare series' new game!"

I suspect full well, we'll be hearing a LOT more from EA about how the founders of infinity ward and the creators of CoD now work for them and details of what they're working on as we get closer to the release of MW3, if only to sow doubt on what MW3 will be like without the original developers at the helm.

13. Re: Respawn Making Sci-fi Shooter Jun 9, 2011, 10:37 bhcompy

Dust 514.  

12. Re: Respawn Making Sci-fi Shooter Jun 9, 2011, 10:27 Burrito of Peace

I can't wait to play as a marine/colonist fighting off hordes of military/alien/rebel enemies!

That's SO awesomely original!

11. Re: Respawn Making Sci-fi Shooter Jun 9, 2011, 10:12 Topevoli

I actually enjoyed the candid answer he gave. It makes perfect sense to wait and release during a period w little competition.

Anyone who wants to play this type of game is more likely to buy GoW3 or Halo 17... This way it gives the game (to most people an unknown entity) a fighting chance to gain some popularity and create a name for itself.

10. Re: Respawn Making Sci-fi Shooter Jun 9, 2011, 09:56 Elessar

Would love to see something along the lines of 2142, but in a modern CoD/BF engine. Gritty Sci-Fi like District 9.  

"You don't get what you deserve, you get what you get."

9. Re: Respawn Making Sci-fi Shooter Jun 9, 2011, 07:31 InBlack

Vulkan wrote on Jun 9, 2011, 00:17:
They should go an extra awesome step forward and just name the game "Sci-fi Shooter."

Rofl Smartass

I have a nifty blue line!

8. Re: Respawn Making Sci-fi Shooter Jun 9, 2011, 03:28 Bhruic

They go on and on about release calendars and core business strategy's and yet..not ONE fucking word about how they're doing this because they absolutely love the genre and want to put out a kick ass game that's fun as hell to play.

They're the publishers, they don't make the game(s), they just pay for it/them. That's not an excuse, but it's the reality - they are the business side of things. Hopefuly the developers have the love of the genre.

7. Re: Respawn Making Sci-fi Shooter Jun 9, 2011, 00:57 Wallshadows

Syfy.

Get with it.

6. Re: Respawn Making Sci-fi Shooter Jun 9, 2011, 00:17 Vulkan

They should go an extra awesome step forward and just name the game "Sci-fi Shooter."  

5. Re: Respawn Making Sci-fi Shooter Jun 8, 2011, 23:42 Wildone

WTF its not modern day soldiers/spec ops or WW2?!?!?!!?! HERESY!!!!!!!!!!!!  

4. Re: Respawn Making Sci-fi Shooter Jun 8, 2011, 23:37 Teddy

WyldKat wrote on Jun 8, 2011, 22:18:
Awesome, it's great to see that someone has decided to make a game in one of the most underused genres ever, the shooter. It's a bit disappointing though that they've chosen to make it Scifi instead of a modern setting, now THAT would be revolutionary!

To be fair, this is essentially Infinity Ward under a different name. Shooters are what they do. What they've always done. At least they've moved away from WWII and Modern Day.

It's been a while since there's been a good, high quality multiplayer sci-fi shooter as I recall (Barring console only Halo: Reach). Sure they could be doing something else, but when you have one of the top FPS developers on the planet working for you, are you going to tell them to do something else? Something they DON'T have a proven history of success in? That just doesn't make any sort of business sense.

3. Re: Respawn Making Sci-fi Shooter Jun 8, 2011, 23:32 Sepharo

So we got your sci-fi, followed by of course something modern, a WWII title, then we throw in a historical expansion vietnam/korea, and back to modern with a 20% chance of sci-fi.  

2. Re: Respawn Making Sci-fi Shooter Jun 8, 2011, 23:28 Sempai

Jesus Christ these fucking suits make me want to take a steamy dump and start flinging warm shit at the wall!
They go on and on about release calendars and core business strategy's and yet..not ONE fucking word about how they're doing this because they absolutely love the genre and want to put out a kick ass game that's fun as hell to play.

Thanks Frank Gibeau for sounding exactly like the rest of the Koticks and Riccitiello's who are ruining my hobby.

You fucking tool.

1. Re: Respawn Making Sci-fi Shooter Jun 8, 2011, 22:18 WyldKat

Awesome, it's great to see that someone has decided to make a game in one of the most underused genres ever, the shooter. It's a bit disappointing though that they've chosen to make it Scifi instead of a modern setting, now THAT would be revolutionary!  

17 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo