Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Consoles Lead Skyrim Development

A video interview on Computer and Video Games discusses The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim with Craig Lafferty, lead producer on Bethesda Softworks' upcoming role-playing sequel. He talks about the console editions of the game, saying that they are actually the lead platform for Skyrim: "we develop toward the consoles and then porting to PCs is not too bad, actually." He goes on to discuss their added emphasis on accessibility compared with previous installments in the series, and Apple's inspiration in creating user interfaces. He also touches on gameplay, including bigger boss battles, the main campaign, side-quests, and more. Thanks Reddit via GamersMint.

View
82 Replies. 5 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 ] Older >

82. Re: Consoles Lead Skyrim Development Jun 13, 2011, 09:52 Verno

The tl;dr is that publishers don't pay them to do that so they don't. I doubt you often work out of pocket in your career just to make a subset of customers happy, why would you expect developers to do so? Get mad at the publishers and hit them where it hurts otherwise all of the harsh language in the world isn't going to mean anything.  

Playing: Dragon Age Inquisition, Far Cry 4, This War of Mine
Watching: The Fall, The Walking Dead, Leon
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

81. Re: Consoles Lead Skyrim Development Jun 13, 2011, 07:49 Asmo

Creston wrote on Jun 8, 2011, 23:41:
It doesn't matter. Most console crap will be fixed by the community in no time flat. This will rock on the PC.

/contemplating upgrading for it.

Creston

And that's really the rub...

The community, working by feel and figuring out what the dev team has done, can build a competent working UI for resolutions that aren't restricted to the piss soaked little kids pool in a relatively short amount of time.

So why the fuck can't the devs devote a day or two to working out a scalable UI? Devs are so fucking lazy/careless that they don't even bother, they know some obsessive compulsive type is going to do the work for them, why pay for it? \X |

Would I be a terrible person for pirating the game and donating the purchase money to the modders that make it playable on PC? X D At least they seem to give a shit about the target audience...

80. Re: Consoles Lead Skyrim Development Jun 10, 2011, 16:06 Creston

Verno wrote on Jun 10, 2011, 09:35:
Obscuro works with Bethesda now doesn't he? I remember hearing that they hired him awhile ago.

No, he works for Obsidian.

Creston

79. Re: Consoles Lead Skyrim Development Jun 10, 2011, 16:05 Creston

Jerykk wrote on Jun 9, 2011, 00:45:
Why would you need to upgrade? The PC version will still be a X360 port so your current videocard should run it fine.

I give it about a month before a high def texture pack will be out for it.

Creston

78. Re: Consoles Lead Skyrim Development Jun 10, 2011, 09:35 Verno

Obscuro works with Bethesda now doesn't he? I remember hearing that they hired him awhile ago.  

77. Re: Consoles Lead Skyrim Development Jun 10, 2011, 07:27 Xirgu

am sure the game will be worth playing once as bethesda releases it, maybe adding a few mods to fix consoley design choices, by then the world replacing mods should start to come in... hope oscuro has lots of free time scheduled around release date!! and hope the mod kits are released inmediately or even before the launch date  

76. Re: Consoles Lead Skyrim Development Jun 9, 2011, 15:54 Wowbagger_TIP

I know that I'll want the mods to make things better, but I also know that the game will be good enough out of the box that I'm going to buy it anyway. Skyrim and DX:HR are the main things on my list for this year. I doubt I'll have time for anything else.  

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts." -- Bertrand Russell (I think...)

75. Re: Consoles Lead Skyrim Development Jun 9, 2011, 13:01 Xoxotl

And so I get yet another reason to continue my white-hot rage against Microsoft for ever manufacturing the Xbox.

Rat bastards.

Don't start anything you can't finish. Preferably to component atoms.

74. Re: Consoles Lead Skyrim Development Jun 9, 2011, 12:55 btallas

Does no one else find it amusing that you have to pay full price for a game and wait for an independent modder to make the game better for your platform of choice (pc)? That's why I'm personally skipping this until it's on a cheap steam sale.  

73. Re: Consoles Lead Skyrim Development Jun 9, 2011, 09:53 Verno

Prez wrote on Jun 9, 2011, 09:38:
Everyone is assuming that Bethesda is going to bother releasing mod tools to allow gamers to fix their game for them. Has the release of mod tools been confirmed and I just missed it?

Yes they confirmed it already. I don't have a link handy but they said the full creation kit will be available as usual. I think it might have been linked earlier in this thread. I asked one of the Bethesda guys awhile ago a previous E3 and he said that they love seeing the user generated stuff as much as the fans do.

72. Re: Consoles Lead Skyrim Development Jun 9, 2011, 09:38 Prez

Everyone is assuming that Bethesda is going to bother releasing mod tools to allow gamers to fix their game for them. Has the release of mod tools been confirmed and I just missed it?  

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

71. Re: Consoles Lead Skyrim Development Jun 9, 2011, 08:56 Verno

Krovven wrote on Jun 8, 2011, 16:45:
What Verno said.

Oh, and fuck you Verno for saying something I agree with.

Common ground at last! Guitarist

70. Re: Consoles Lead Skyrim Development Jun 9, 2011, 00:45 Jerykk

Why would you need to upgrade? The PC version will still be a X360 port so your current videocard should run it fine.  

69. Re: Consoles Lead Skyrim Development Jun 8, 2011, 23:41 Creston

It doesn't matter. Most console crap will be fixed by the community in no time flat. This will rock on the PC.

/contemplating upgrading for it.

Creston

68. Re: Consoles Lead Skyrim Development Jun 8, 2011, 22:52 Jerykk

Starang wrote on Jun 8, 2011, 20:10:
Don't know what people where expecting. Last game they made that had PC as a lead was Morrowind and that came out in 2002. Now they probably said that Oblivion was developed side by side on 360 and pc but you just have to play the game to realize it was made for the 360. Fallout 3, 360 as lead.

Exactly. It should come as no surprise that 360 is the lead SKU yet again for Skyrim. I'm amazed anyone actually thought PC was the lead SKU for any Bethesda game since Morrowind.

67. Re: PC Gamers dont make us $$ Jun 8, 2011, 22:02 Dev

Techie714 © wrote on Jun 8, 2011, 14:25:
Cant wait for the next Witcher game.....
Witcher 2 JUST came out, you mean Witcher 3??
noman wrote on Jun 8, 2011, 15:34:
Whenever I read such news articles, my resolve to get Battlefield 3 on day 1 gets more firm. At least there is one game with insanely high production values using PC as the lead platform.

http://www.geforce.com/#/News/articles/battlefield3-interview

An excerpt from the above linked interview:

[...]
Q. Can you talk about the benefits of that? That probably makes the PC
version look better but does it then hinder the consoles in any way?

A. This is interesting. In theory you could argue that you're building
it for a more powerful platform and that it will look crappy on
consoles. That's not the case because when you build the target high,
you can then pick and choose from the target and ask what actually
creates this picture and then pick the best things from that and turn
that into your console solution. The other thing that is very
interesting is that since you're building the engine based on the
knowledge that you will release it on the consoles, you actually
streamline the whole technology to be able to scale back to the weaker
platforms. So in the end, by, you know, painting this high-end target,
you actually set a new bar and then when you scale it back, I think
people will be surprised to see how good it looks on the consoles. We
can't show it right now, because we're aiming to use the PC to set the
bar, but it's actually helping us make a better console game.
This is a very good point, thanks for the link. This is why the last GTA game sucked on PC in terms of demanding high end PC hardware with not much return, it wasn't optimized at all.
That means BF3 should be much better optimized both for PC and Console.

This comment was edited on Jun 8, 2011, 22:12.

66. Re: Consoles Lead Skyrim Development Jun 8, 2011, 21:57 blizzle

Consoles lead development platform? So this game is being made for the derps just like Oblivion. Thanks for making the decision easy to SKIP this game.  

65. Re: Consoles Lead Skyrim Development Jun 8, 2011, 21:41 Slashman

nin wrote on Jun 8, 2011, 21:03:
To that I'd reply, either respect the platform you're making a game for, or skip the platform. I'm not going to buy it if it's terrible anyway.

And they'll still make a ton of money on the consoles. Which is why they're the lead platform.

If the aim of a developer/publisher is to make money, and they decide to support 3 platforms for a game, is it not shooting yourself in the foot to not make a decent interface for any one of those platforms?

Lets even say that PCs account for less than 25% of the total sales of a game. If your product is so poor, that you lose half your PC sales, then why even go through the process of making the game for the platform?

The argument is that they don't need PC sales, right? Consoles are where the money is. I don't have an issue with that. Just don't port your game to the platform. It's a waste of your time and resources.

64. Re: Consoles Lead Skyrim Development Jun 8, 2011, 21:03 nin

To that I'd reply, either respect the platform you're making a game for, or skip the platform. I'm not going to buy it if it's terrible anyway.

And they'll still make a ton of money on the consoles. Which is why they're the lead platform.

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

63. Re: Consoles Lead Skyrim Development Jun 8, 2011, 21:01 SectorEffector

LittleMe wrote on Jun 8, 2011, 18:19:
Blue I like the way you report on the console games, as it is from a PC gameing/er perspective. I'm like how you've implemented it!"

heres a napkin for your nose.

Tis a good site tho since i've been here in 99 or 98

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6-Q2iICtlIc

82 Replies. 5 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo