Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

Jagged Alliance: Back in Action In October

Kalypso Media and bitComposer Games announce a release date for Jagged Alliance: Back in Action, saying the military-themed tactical-RPG remake for Windows is due in stores on October 18. Here's part of the accompanying description of the game:

Jagged Alliance: Back in Action is a contemporary remake of the latest title in the much-loved Jagged Alliance series of turn-based mercenary-themed strategy games. Designed from the ground up to offer a modern gaming experience, Back in Action showcases an updated isometric 3D look and interface, highly detailed character models and a variety of new gameplay features.

Back in Action takes players to the fictitious country of Arulco, where a ruthless dictator has seized power and only a small group of rebels stand to resist him. Tasked with freeing the island from the dictator’s iron grip, players will command rebel and mercenary forces while using tactical, diplomatic and economic tools to keep troops supplied and ready for the next flight, all while commanding them directly in nail-biting battles.

View
18 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

18. Re: Jagged Alliance: Back in Action In October Jun 9, 2011, 10:22 nyr27

Yeah, Sentinels was brutally hard. I never bothered with Hammer & Sickle after reading reviews.

Planet Alcatraz is similar, but really rough. Comical animations and translation. Ridiculous hit mechanics (about 10% melee success meant watching my guy shadow box for like 5 minutes till he finally knocked the other guy out).

ALFA Antiterror is another, but not really worth mentioning. Not bad graphically, but once I realized the enemies were shooting through the walls every time they went prone indoors, I gave up.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

17. Re: Jagged Alliance: Back in Action In October Jun 9, 2011, 10:03 Prez

nyr27 wrote on Jun 9, 2011, 09:36:
Also, if anybody likes these types in a WWII setting, I highly recommend Silent Storm.

Best JA clone made to date imo. The expansion wasn't so good though.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

16. Re: Jagged Alliance: Back in Action In October Jun 9, 2011, 09:36 nyr27

For me too. I hunted down the original Brigade E5: Shattered Union on Amazon for $2. Worth it, but even less polish.

Also, if anybody likes these types in a WWII setting, I highly recommend Silent Storm.

15. Re: Jagged Alliance: Back in Action In October Jun 9, 2011, 08:53 Prez

Yifes wrote on Jun 8, 2011, 23:32:
Frozen Synapse is a lot of fun, but I'd take Shadow, Ivan and the rest of the gang over it any day. I'd happily pay for even a graphics update of vanilla JA2.

Played/own all of them. 7.62 is rough, but it does scratch the JA itch for me.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

14. Re: Jagged Alliance: Back in Action In October Jun 9, 2011, 06:31 nyr27

Anyone ever try 7.62 High Calibre? Similar to JA but with the pausable real time gameplay. I like it a lot actually. You can walk around all the towns between battles and talk to people to get new missions (and side missions). Translation is kind of rough, but there's an unofficial patch and a huge mod (blue sun) that fix a ton.
Bought it on gamersgate for like $7 on sale. Well worth it to me.

13. Re: Jagged Alliance: Back in Action In October Jun 8, 2011, 23:32 Yifes

Frozen Synapse is a lot of fun, but I'd take Shadow, Ivan and the rest of the gang over it any day. I'd happily pay for even a graphics update of vanilla JA2.  

12. Re: Jagged Alliance: Back in Action In October Jun 8, 2011, 20:21 Teddy

Prez wrote on Jun 8, 2011, 19:06:
I'm so starved for some JA gameplay I buy just about every turn-based tactical RPG that comes along. I even weaned a modicum of enjoyment out of Hired Guns- Jagged Edge.

*cough*Frozen Synapse*cough*

Not as expansive a game, and no RPG elements, but it's sating my Turn-based Tactical fix at the moment. It's not for everyone to be sure, but certainly worth a look if you liked X-COM / JA.

11. Re: Jagged Alliance: Back in Action In October Jun 8, 2011, 19:06 Prez

I'm so starved for some JA gameplay I buy just about every turn-based tactical RPG that comes along. I even weaned a modicum of enjoyment out of Hired Guns- Jagged Edge.  

- Mahatma Gandhi

10. Re: Jagged Alliance: Back in Action In October Jun 8, 2011, 16:58 Halo

Dirwulf wrote on Jun 8, 2011, 15:03:
Mingus wrote on Jun 8, 2011, 14:20:
Hmm..innovative 'Plan and Go' system combining elements of RTS and turn based play?

This sounds like it may be a case of trying to please both RTS and turn based players without actually succeeding in either case.

Definitely taking a wait and see approach with this one. In the meantime, I will play the latest 1.13 mod release for JA2. Fun!

I think that means you will be planning your moves in advance, and then hit the "go" button and your moves play out in real time. The new game Frozen Synapse does the same thing.

That would be awful in the JA series, every merc is worth diamonds. It's probably real time with a pause button if I had to guess.

9. Re: Jagged Alliance: Back in Action In October Jun 8, 2011, 15:03 Dirwulf

Mingus wrote on Jun 8, 2011, 14:20:
Hmm..innovative 'Plan and Go' system combining elements of RTS and turn based play?

This sounds like it may be a case of trying to please both RTS and turn based players without actually succeeding in either case.

Definitely taking a wait and see approach with this one. In the meantime, I will play the latest 1.13 mod release for JA2. Fun!

I think that means you will be planning your moves in advance, and then hit the "go" button and your moves play out in real time. The new game Frozen Synapse does the same thing.

8. Re: Jagged Alliance: Back in Action In October Jun 8, 2011, 14:20 Mingus

7. Re: Jagged Alliance: Back in Action In October Jun 8, 2011, 14:16 Beamer

I haven't bothered to confirm this, but I do recall reading a while back that the new JA will not be turn based. If that's the case, no thanks.

It's impossible to tell as the IP has transferred owners and new JAs have been started and stopped so repeatedly.
This game, though, is likely turn based as it's strictly a JA2 remake.

But every almost-JA3 that's been released under a different name has been awful. The worst kind of awful. I really don't think bitComposer Games will do much better.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

6. Re: Jagged Alliance: Back in Action In October Jun 8, 2011, 13:58 Pineapple Ferguson

I haven't bothered to confirm this, but I do recall reading a while back that the new JA will not be turn based. If that's the case, no thanks.  

5. Re: Jagged Alliance: Back in Action In October Jun 8, 2011, 13:36 Beamer

Suit yourself. I'll just play the original again rather than some bastardized version by the creators of Cargo! Wildlife Park 3 and The Rockin' Dead.  
-------------

4. Re: Jagged Alliance: Back in Action In October Jun 8, 2011, 13:26 Teddy

Beamer wrote on Jun 8, 2011, 13:12:
You guys are excited for this?

Absolutely.

3. Re: Jagged Alliance: Back in Action In October Jun 8, 2011, 13:12 Beamer

Are you guys nuts? I think I'd rather a FPS JA at this point.

Every single attempt to bring JA back has been a failure. A gross, disgusting failure. Why would this be different? Because it's a remake? They'll still feel the need to add garbage we don't want, and being a remake will be even worse.

Do you want to know why I prefer drastically different versions of this old games? Uncanny Valley. When you make something with the same name that's very similar but slightly different you end up focusing on those slight differences. When you make something that's very different with some similarities it's easier to focus on those similarities and judge it on its own.

You guys are excited for this?

-------------

2. Re: Jagged Alliance: Back in Action In October Jun 8, 2011, 12:56 Dirwulf

Did I not just post a few weeks ago how they need to remake this game? Finally!!! Now hopefully it won't suck, like all the other sequels to the original.

1. Re: Jagged Alliance: Back in Action In October Jun 8, 2011, 12:52 Mikus_Aurelius

Stupid JA fans. Why couldn't we have made their favorite IP into a useless FPS?  

18 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo