Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Morning Previews

View
15 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

15. Re: Morning Previews Jun 8, 2011, 19:11 Suddenly_Dead

BF2 (and BC2) in pubs was terrific with friends. I know that can be said of many games, but the squad mechanism works perfectly in the game.  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

14. Re: Morning Previews Jun 8, 2011, 18:54 xXBatmanXx

Teddy wrote on Jun 8, 2011, 18:41:
Edit: Speaking of the teamkilling for vehicles, I always wondered by they didn't just go the simple route once the problem became evident and stop you from being able to get into a vehicle for X amount of seconds after TKing someone. Sure, it may cause a few rare situations wherein accidental kills during hectic firefights cause a problem, but it would completely eliminate the whole 'getting shot in the back of the head by a teammate while about to get into a jet/helicopter'.

The easiest fix is reflective damage within x meters of spawn.

Buy from GreenManGaming? Use this, we both get $2.00 - http://www.greenmangaming.com/?gmgr=purutuwi

13. Re: Morning Previews Jun 8, 2011, 18:41 Teddy

xXBatmanXx wrote on Jun 8, 2011, 18:01:
I played competitivly for BF2 for a number of years. Although I agree most pub servers sucked ass, there were a number of servers I played on that were heavily admin'd (you know, when we ran our own servers and such ) that were great to play on.

Other than AQ2, BF2 has probably some of the BEST gaming as a competitive model that I have ever played. The adreno rush and excitement of a really good battle is unmatched. To win required a TON of teamwork, communication, strategy, etc etc etc. The game is a blast, and I am really hoping that is captured again in BF3.

No doubt, but competitive matches and pub servers are very different things. You get teamwork from players in competitive CoD matches too (back when those were actually possible). Having server admins that keep the peace and enforce a certain style of play can happen in any game as well (assuming they ahve the ability to do so). I recall Black Ops servers where the server admins enforced some very restrictive "realism" rules to cut down on run+gun players frequenting their servers. Also recall servers in Counter-strike years ago with admins that enforced teamwork, and enforced objective play by booting anyone who was not making an attempt to accomplish the objective of that particular map.

My point is, it's not really a function of the audience playing the games, as much as it is the tools available and the way rewards are handled in the game itself as well. If we can admin our own servers, then of course there will be less asshats on them. If the game rewards people for helping each other, rather than only showing player's names in lights for their own personal K/D ratio, then people will help each other more.

As far as BF itself as a compeititive game. I played competitive in BF1942, Vietnam and BF2 on occasion, but strictly speaking, I've never been a fan of respawning gameplay, or the conquest style of the BF series. I very much appreciated the Rush and Squad Rush game modes in BC2 as they felt closer to what I was looking for, but even still I miss the tension found in single spawn games like Counter-strike, or the early Rainbow Six series.

Single spawn doesn't work with vehicles, I imagine as it's simply too easy to die when they're included, but since I first played Squad Rush in BC2, I've been hoping to see some sort of non-respawn game mode added as an option to the BF series. It's really the only reason I ever play any CoD games these days is to get my fix of objective based, single life play via Search and Destroy.

Edit: Speaking of the teamkilling for vehicles, I always wondered by they didn't just go the simple route once the problem became evident and stop you from being able to get into a vehicle for X amount of seconds after TKing someone. Sure, it may cause a few rare situations wherein accidental kills during hectic firefights cause a problem, but it would completely eliminate the whole 'getting shot in the back of the head by a teammate while about to get into a jet/helicopter'.

12. Re: Morning Previews Jun 8, 2011, 18:01 xXBatmanXx

Teddy wrote on Jun 8, 2011, 13:08:
Wallshadows wrote on Jun 8, 2011, 13:00:
When I think of CoD multiplayer, I remember small maps, arcade gameplay, and ignorant players doing their own thing.

When I think of BF multiplayer, I remember huge maps, strategic gameplay, and team work with the extra bonus of vehicles.

Guess where my money is going.

Funny, when I think of BF multiplayer, I remember huge maps, strategic gameplay and ignorant players doing their own thing. Oh, and and players Teamkilling to get the vehicle they wanted. Or as in BC2 now, snipers sitting 2 bases away from the action hoping for extreme distance kill point bonuses rather than risking advancing to a relevant position.

My money's going to Battlefield as well, but let's not try to pretend it's something that it's not. There are just as many stupid, selfish players in Battlefield as there are in CoD (percentage of population, of course). There's just more game mechanics that reward teamwork (medic, repair, rearming and now suppressing). If there were as many mechanics to reward teamwork in CoD, then you'd see just as many people helping in that game too. The people are pretty much the same, the reward scheme is what's dictating their behavior.

I played competitivly for BF2 for a number of years. Although I agree most pub servers sucked ass, there were a number of servers I played on that were heavily admin'd (you know, when we ran our own servers and such ) that were great to play on.

Other than AQ2, BF2 has probably some of the BEST gaming as a competitive model that I have ever played. The adreno rush and excitement of a really good battle is unmatched. To win required a TON of teamwork, communication, strategy, etc etc etc. The game is a blast, and I am really hoping that is captured again in BF3.

Buy from GreenManGaming? Use this, we both get $2.00 - http://www.greenmangaming.com/?gmgr=purutuwi

11. Battlefield 3 on Ars Technica Jun 8, 2011, 15:47 jimnms

The game has exceeded my expectations in terms of presentation and mechanics; the battles are intense and almost scary in how much destruction can take place around you. There is a lot we don't know about the game, and we have yet to see it on the consolesóat E3 I played the game on a tricked-out PCóbut it feels great to get a taste of the multiplayer game and walk away so satisfied. The game is moving in the right direction, and it offers enough updates and change to feel fresh.

This is what a modern war game should be, and this is how it should look. Also, this is where it should live: on the PC.

That's what I like to hear.

MeanJim on Steam

10. Re: Morning Previews Jun 8, 2011, 14:46 Shineyguy

Suddenly_Dead wrote on Jun 8, 2011, 14:31:
BC2 is infantry-centric, but that just fits in with its style and lower playercount. It's not a main-line Battlefield game and they did a good job of differentiating it. I like it as it is.

Yes, Bad Company 2 will be a good stepping stone for the CoD demographic due to it's limited vehicle count and "softer" Battlefield play style.

Stepping stone to BF3 that is.

9. Re: Morning Previews Jun 8, 2011, 14:31 Suddenly_Dead

BC2 is infantry-centric, but that just fits in with its style and lower playercount. It's not a main-line Battlefield game and they did a good job of differentiating it. I like it as it is.  

8. Re: Morning Previews Jun 8, 2011, 13:32 Verno

I can't wait to break out my flight stick and air superiority pubbies into tears and accusations of cheating. Yep, I am that asshole on servers who cannot be killed in a jet I wonder if there are any water based maps in this one. I kind of miss those big sea battles from BF1942.

Bad Company 2 was good but the vehicles felt like an after thought.

Playing: Dragon Age Inquisition, Far Cry 4, This War of Mine
Watching: The Walking Dead, The Fall, As Above So Below

7. Re: Morning Previews Jun 8, 2011, 13:23 Krovven

I can't wait for Battlefield 3. I havent bought a BF game since Vietnam...but everytime I see a new gameplay clip from BF3, I'm just in awe. I hope this kicks Modern Warfare 3 ass in sales, send Kotick a clear message.

ie: this tank gameplay vid... http://www.gametrailers.com/video/e3-2011-battlefield-3/714910

I can only imagine how awesome the battlefield will look while I cruise around in my helicopter.

This comment was edited on Jun 8, 2011, 13:32.

6. Re: Morning Previews Jun 8, 2011, 13:22 Jerykk

That Mass Effect 3 preview doesn't sound terribly encouraging for the RPG aspects that they claimed to be expanding upon. I hope it's just a case of showing the action-y bits at E3 for the Bro demographics.

I've pretty much given up all hopes that ME3 would be more of an RPG than its predecessors so I don't really have a problem if it's even more of a shooter this time.

5. Re: Morning Previews Jun 8, 2011, 13:16 Verno

That Mass Effect 3 preview doesn't sound terribly encouraging for the RPG aspects that they claimed to be expanding upon. I hope it's just a case of showing the action-y bits at E3 for the Bro demographics.  

Playing: Dragon Age Inquisition, Far Cry 4, This War of Mine
Watching: The Walking Dead, The Fall, As Above So Below

4. Re: Morning Previews Jun 8, 2011, 13:08 Teddy

Wallshadows wrote on Jun 8, 2011, 13:00:
When I think of CoD multiplayer, I remember small maps, arcade gameplay, and ignorant players doing their own thing.

When I think of BF multiplayer, I remember huge maps, strategic gameplay, and team work with the extra bonus of vehicles.

Funny, when I think of BF multiplayer, I remember huge maps, strategic gameplay and ignorant players doing their own thing. Oh, and and players Teamkilling to get the vehicle they wanted. Or as in BC2 now, snipers sitting 2 bases away from the action hoping for extreme distance kill point bonuses rather than risking advancing to a relevant position.

My money's going to Battlefield as well, but let's not try to pretend it's something that it's not. There are just as many stupid, selfish players in Battlefield as there are in CoD (percentage of population, of course). There's just more game mechanics that reward teamwork (medic, repair, rearming and now suppressing). If there were as many mechanics to reward teamwork in CoD, then you'd see just as many people helping in that game too. The people are pretty much the same, the reward scheme is what's dictating their behavior.

3. Re: Morning Previews Jun 8, 2011, 13:07 Krovven

When I think of BF multiplayer, I remember huge maps, strategic gameplay,...and having my plane blown up or rammed with a vehicle by asshat griefers.

However, once I got off the ground in BF1942 or BFV, I have some of my fondest memories of gaming.

2. Re: Morning Previews Jun 8, 2011, 13:00 Wallshadows

1. Re: Morning Previews Jun 8, 2011, 12:11 bjack

Link to Ars Technica no workie

15 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo