Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Ships Ahoy - Red Faction: Armageddon

The Red Faction Website has word that Red Faction: Armageddon is now available in North America, offering the latest installment in Volition's groundbreaking shooter series, now with 100% more Mr. Toots. There is a playable demo of the game for Windows and OS X, which is an OnLive exclusive.

View
18 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

18. Re: Ships Ahoy - Red Faction: Armageddon Jun 8, 2011, 14:04 Verno

That's really subjective. Personally if a game isn't an RPG I usually would rather it be somewhat linear. Crysis is a great midway point, as were the more exploration focused shooters of the past. A massive open world like Guerrilla for a game like Guerrilla is kind of meh to me.

Of course it's subjective but meh to others was enjoyed by millions and well acclaimed for a reason so /shrug. You could pretty much ignore the open world aspects in RFG and just do the linear storyline driven stuff if you wanted to anyway. The removal of it in favor of a scripted, down the road third person action game seems more than a bit strange and I suspect has more to do with financial concerns than design intentions. This game had a very lackluster demo that didn't help sell me on losing the larger environments either. Oh well, I'll wait for a console/steam sale and see if how it shakes out.

Playing: Dark Souls 2
Watching: Korengal, Legends, Intruders
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

17. Re: Ships Ahoy - Red Faction: Armageddon Jun 8, 2011, 13:57 StingingVelvet

Verno wrote on Jun 8, 2011, 09:03:
People lament the open world stuff from Guerilla because it added a lot to the gameplay and generally complemented the geomod stuff. A return to it's roots is literally a step backwards and I doubt the narrative aspects of Red Faction are going to fill that void while the player literally tunnels through the experience.

That's really subjective. Personally if a game isn't an RPG I usually would rather it be somewhat linear. Crysis is a great midway point, as were the more exploration focused shooters of the past. A massive open world like Guerrilla for a game like Guerrilla is kind of meh to me.

I'm about 2 hours into this one and am so far enjoying it a lot more.

16. Re: Ships Ahoy - Red Faction: Armageddon Jun 8, 2011, 12:12 spindoctor

I didn't particularly enjoy the open world of the last game. After the first couple of areas, it seemed that everything was repeated. The game was average to okay, and the open world aspect didn't necessarily contribute much to making it better.

I played the console demo of Armageddon and it was pretty fun. Absolutely linear as has been mentioned, but they had some pretty neat weapons in it and the mech at the end was awesome.

I have no particular fondness for the Red Faction franchise, so if Armageddon turns out to be a fun 7/10 game I can live with it. Something like summer movies.. watch and forget. They're not the ones that leave an impression on you.

Some of the most miserable and unhappy gamers on the planet are at Bluesnews

15. Re: Ships Ahoy - Red Faction: Armageddon Jun 8, 2011, 12:02 Teddy

Verno wrote on Jun 8, 2011, 09:21:
That cuts both ways, some of the best parts of Guerilla were also non-linear.

And the fact that it did both fairly well is what made it an interesting game. It didn't stick to one or the other, it went where it needed to for that part of the game.

Reverting back to an ONLY linear experience, or conversely creating an ONLY open world experience would be a step backwards either way, if you ask me.

The game did two things very well, as I see it. First, it allowed you to play with destruction of the world around you in a way no other game to date has. Second, it gave you the freedom of an open world to do as you pleased, then during the story bits, it shifted to a more linear, story-driven experience.

14. Re: Ships Ahoy - Red Faction: Armageddon Jun 8, 2011, 10:50 Reactor

I picked up Guerilla the other day for $5. Talk about a great game. I'm sure Armageddon is a solid game, but the open-ended nature of Guerilla really adds to the enjoyment of it.  

13. Re: Ships Ahoy - Red Faction: Armageddon Jun 8, 2011, 09:23 Prez

I would have preferred they take Armageddon the same route that Assassin's Creed 2 took following Assassin's Creed. That is to say, same fantastic concept, same open world, free-form game, only way WAY better.

Still, I'll judge the game for what it is, not for what it isn't, so when I get around to it I'll pick it up. Had it been just like Guerrilla only better, it would have been an instant buy. As it is, I'll still be getting it, only probably once it's on sale now.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

12. Re: Ships Ahoy - Red Faction: Armageddon Jun 8, 2011, 09:21 Verno

That cuts both ways, some of the best parts of Guerilla were also non-linear.  

11. Re: Ships Ahoy - Red Faction: Armageddon Jun 8, 2011, 09:17 CommunistHamster

Some of the best parts of Guerilla were linear, like the attack on the luxury housing project and the entire last level. It's not an open world/narrative tradeoff, it's an open world/quality of linearity tradeoff, and linearity can be done very well.  

10. Re: Ships Ahoy - Red Faction: Armageddon Jun 8, 2011, 09:03 Verno

the original Red Faction, which was an amazing game.

Red Faction was an alright game for its time but I think "amazing" is nostalgia goggles. People lament the open world stuff from Guerilla because it added a lot to the gameplay and generally complemented the geomod stuff. A return to it's roots is literally a step backwards and I doubt the narrative aspects of Red Faction are going to fill that void while the player literally tunnels through the experience.

9. Re: Ships Ahoy - Red Faction: Armageddon Jun 8, 2011, 08:53 Parallax Abstraction

I'm not big on the OnLive exclusive demo either but for those worried about signing up for it, it's free now. Costs nothing to sign up and play the demo.  
Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

8. Re: Ships Ahoy - Red Faction: Armageddon Jun 8, 2011, 08:17 StingingVelvet

Thank God Volition actually made the PC version this time because it runs and plays much better than their recent ports through other companies. Mouse control is perfect and performance butter-smooth.

I also like the game itself. People who jumped on the series with Guerrilla seem annoyed, but to me this is a return to the origins of the series and the original Red Faction, which was an amazing game.

Honestly I prefer some linearity in shooters, or smaller open areas like Crysis had. Massive open worlds work better for RPGs than shooters for me.

7. Re: Ships Ahoy - Red Faction: Armageddon Jun 8, 2011, 07:52 CommunistHamster

I hear it mixes the good linear bits of 1 with the good destruction physics of Guerilla. I'll wait for an actual demo, though.  

6. Re: Ships Ahoy - Red Faction: Armageddon Jun 8, 2011, 05:04 Jonny

So, I click on the link and am told to choose my language. As an englishman I mouseover the union flag and British pops up. "WTF?" I think to myself, since when has British been a goddamn language?

Mousing over the aussie flag nets me the choice of Australian as my language, "Ah, they've just mixed up country and language. Fair enough" I think. That's right before I hit the US flag and it says fucking English as it's language. Annoyed

Petty minded rant aside, I've always liked the Red Faction games, but I'm not signing up for OnLive and I'm not buying it without trying a demo first, so it's either a bargain bin or when they properly release the demo for me.

5. Re: Ships Ahoy - Red Faction: Armageddon Jun 8, 2011, 02:19 tacospice

they took out the open-world aspect that in my opinion made the last one awesome.
i loved guerrilla. this one's boring.
such a shame.

4. Re: Ships Ahoy - Red Faction: Armageddon Jun 8, 2011, 00:02 MuzixMon

I bought it on steam today and so far I'm enjoying it. It's basic run n gun right now but that's all I'm really looking for. It's nice to see that they are supporting DX10 and 11 instead of a lame ass port (ie saints row 2) The Geo-mod in this game is incredibly impressive but it does beat up your system if you have everytimg turned up to high. I'm a fan of the old Red Faction games, this one is a welcome edition as far as I'm concerned.  

"When all thats left is console gaming, I will game no more."

3. Re: Ships Ahoy - Red Faction: Armageddon Jun 8, 2011, 00:01 nin

Cutter wrote on Jun 7, 2011, 21:28:
Well too bad for them. I'm certainly not signing up to Onlive just to try a demo. That's just one of many lost sales I'm sure.

I tried the demo on the 360 and it didn't seem like my type of game. Which sucks, cause I really like Volition, and hope this doesn't do bad for them.

The demo felt way too enclosed (you were running around in a cave), and the weapons didn't seem as fun as the last game. Rebuilding stuff was neat at first, but quickly got old.

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

2. Re: Ships Ahoy - Red Faction: Armageddon Jun 7, 2011, 22:59 LittleMe

I've read mostly bad community feedback about the game. Apparently they've removed much of the good parts of the last game and expanded the less exciting parts.  

Political freedom can only be preceded by economic freedom which is preceded by monetary freedom.

1. Re: Ships Ahoy - Red Faction: Armageddon Jun 7, 2011, 21:28 Cutter

Well too bad for them. I'm certainly not signing up to Onlive just to try a demo. That's just one of many lost sales I'm sure.

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

18 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo