Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Trailer

G4tv.com has a video demo from E3 of The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim, where Bethesda's Todd Howard shows "really, really big chunk" of the 30 minute presentation of the upcoming RPG sequel being given behind closed doors at the show. The clip features the game's new graphics engine, the UI, a horse armor joke, and more.

View
49 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

49. Re: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Trailer Jun 8, 2011, 23:38 Creston

Verno wrote on Jun 8, 2011, 12:48:
Judging from the video actually, they seem to have finally gotten the message in terms of controls and responsiveness. It looked pretty interesting and not at all the usual Bethesda clumsiness that we've all come to know and mod out.

Really? I saw little difference between this and Oblivion. The attacks are still done under strange angles, and the enemy you hit still rarely responds to actually being hit. (Such as when he slashes the enemy across the naked throat, and the dude doesn't even flinch...)

Not that I really care, I thought Oblivion's combat worked well enough, but I'm not sure why everyone says it looks so much better. The only really smooth combat sequence I saw was when it switched to 3rd person and the guy kicked then chopped the panther. Other than that, it was the same, weird sword slashes at each other.

Also, is parrying with a sword gone now?

Creston

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

48. Re: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Trailer Jun 8, 2011, 22:10 Wowbagger_TIP

There's plenty of simultaneous spells/swordplay there too.
Yeah, but at least those one-handed spells will apparently be weaker than the 2-handed.

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts." -- Bertrand Russell (I think...)

47. Re: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Trailer Jun 8, 2011, 21:58 Quboid

There's plenty of simultaneous spells/swordplay there too.

Some of the textures look a bit weak but assuming the PC version sorts this out, and based on past Elder Scrolls games it will, I will buy this as soon as it is released even though it will need a patch or three.

- Quboid

46. Re: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Trailer Jun 8, 2011, 14:08 Verno

Yeah I do the same thing when I'm playing shooters, that's the wonderful thing about PCs - Windows key + P and choose wherever you feel like gaming.  

Playing: Dragon Age Inquisition, Far Cry 4, This War of Mine
Watching: The Fall, The Walking Dead, Leon

45. Re: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Trailer Jun 8, 2011, 14:01 StingingVelvet

Verno wrote on Jun 8, 2011, 09:34:
HDMI to receiver, best of both worlds IMHO. Plopping down on the couch after a long day at the computer is wonderful but so are high resolution visuals with detail instead of dodgy framerates, upscaled video and jaggies.

I actually prefer to go into the computer room, close the door and be by myself with headphone on immersed in game worlds. When I game on the couch I have my wife around, sounds from the kitchen, interruptions, requests for the TV, etc. etc..

44. Re: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Trailer Jun 8, 2011, 12:48 Verno

Judging from the video actually, they seem to have finally gotten the message in terms of controls and responsiveness. It looked pretty interesting and not at all the usual Bethesda clumsiness that we've all come to know and mod out.  

43. Re: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Trailer Jun 8, 2011, 12:47 everyone

wtf_man wrote on Jun 8, 2011, 10:09:
It wasn't the Animators... it was the fuckin' NetImmerse / Gamebryo engine. No studio has made a game that had good animations with that engine... with the possible exception of Trion for RIFT (Using the latest version of the engine)... and even those animations are still pretty stiff. Some data or something seems to get lost in the transition from 3D Studio Max to the Game Engine format, and it is near impossible to fix.
Yeah. No.
Even standing still they were just plain awful.

42. Re: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Trailer Jun 8, 2011, 12:35 Krovven

I've always liked the Elder Scrolls games...on paper. Whenever I try to play them, I don't like the gameplay, quite often the controls and the games overall just feel bland.

I expect this to be no different. I'll pass until I get bored one day and can actually try it out.

41. Re: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Trailer Jun 8, 2011, 10:58 Frijoles

Their HD version looks like shit at full screen (1920x1200).

I'll be preordering the game. As much as I bitch about Bethesda games, I still play the shit out of them. I'm a lightweight and only had 75 hours in Oblivion.

40. Re: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Trailer Jun 8, 2011, 10:55 Wowbagger_TIP

Wouldn't you prefer some reasoning?
Again, I don't think that at 8 feet the enormously improved processing power of a computer is nearly as noticeable.
And yes, there's an enormous difference between laying on a couch 8-10 feet from a screen and sitting upright on a chair 8-10 inches from a screen.
I'll take the chair and screen on a desk any day if it means I get as good or better graphics, along with full mod support so that I can experience all the amazing things that the modders create for these games. Oblivion was completely transformed by mods, and it was amazing. Console players got the basic crappy out-of-the-box game and that's it. It's tragic that they never got to experience the full potential of that game.

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts." -- Bertrand Russell (I think...)

39. Re: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Trailer Jun 8, 2011, 10:54 space captain

wtf_man wrote on Jun 8, 2011, 10:09:
and even those animations are still pretty stiff. Some data or something seems to get lost in the transition from 3D Studio Max to the Game Engine format, and it is near impossible to fix.

i heard it was because of gremlins

Go forth, and kill!

38. Re: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Trailer Jun 8, 2011, 10:09 wtf_man

WyldKat wrote on Jun 7, 2011, 21:12:
As for the game, I'm floored that they actually have a competent animator now.

It wasn't the Animators... it was the fuckin' NetImmerse / Gamebryo engine. No studio has made a game that had good animations with that engine... with the possible exception of Trion for RIFT (Using the latest version of the engine)... and even those animations are still pretty stiff. Some data or something seems to get lost in the transition from 3D Studio Max to the Game Engine format, and it is near impossible to fix.

Skyrim uses a different rendering engine than Oblivion and Morrowind did.

37. Re: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Trailer Jun 8, 2011, 10:03 Verno

Again, I don't think that at 8 feet the enormously improved processing power of a computer is nearly as noticeable.

Nah it's hugely noticeable. Sitting at 8-10 feet with a 1080p TV and details maxed is nothing short of glorious. The difference in framerate stability and detail is incredible. You might not know what you're missing and fair enough but to say it isn't noticeable..you'd have to be going blind.

36. Re: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Trailer Jun 8, 2011, 09:58 Beamer

LoL, just lol. So sitting for hours on end in front of a TV, slouched in a couch is somehow "better" than sitting for hours on end in front of a PC. (Note:@ home not @ work)

Jesus Beamer the lengths you go to to justify some claims, why not just plain admit "Ok the PC version might look better but I prefer the console" and be done with it?

Wouldn't you prefer some reasoning?
And yes, there's an enormous difference between laying on a couch 8-10 feet from a screen and sitting upright on a chair 8-10 inches from a screen.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

35. Re: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Trailer Jun 8, 2011, 09:52 Verno

I think that's what he was doing in a roundabout way?  

34. Re: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Trailer Jun 8, 2011, 09:48 InBlack

Beamer wrote on Jun 8, 2011, 09:30:
Which is why I never understand people buying these games for a console. It's like you're intentionally choosing the inferior product.

That I can sit on my couch and relax and play after spending most of a day at a desk in front of a computer.
That my friends can watch me play and go "holy crap that's so cool!"
etc.

"But Beamer, you can hook your computer up to a TV..."
Yes, if my office and my living room are next to each other. They aren't.

LoL, just lol. So sitting for hours on end in front of a TV, slouched in a couch is somehow "better" than sitting for hours on end in front of a PC. (Note:@ home not @ work)

Jesus Beamer the lengths you go to to justify some claims, why not just plain admit "Ok the PC version might look better but I prefer the console" and be done with it?

I have a nifty blue line!

33. Re: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Trailer Jun 8, 2011, 09:34 Verno

HDMI to receiver, best of both worlds IMHO. Plopping down on the couch after a long day at the computer is wonderful but so are high resolution visuals with detail instead of dodgy framerates, upscaled video and jaggies.  

32. Re: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Trailer Jun 8, 2011, 09:32 Beamer

1) Easier portability, 2) controllers are easier for demos, 3) vast majority of people watching and reading the ensuing journalism are console gamers and 4) most gaming journalists are console gamers.

1) is a big one, for live demos. You have software not quite ready for prime time and not fully tested. If you're running it on a computer you're risking many issues. What if the computer doesn't boot, or doesn't arrive, etc? Logistics nightmare. With a console version you just throw the disc into whatever console is already hooked up to the screen and you're off and running.

-------------

31. Re: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Trailer Jun 8, 2011, 09:30 Beamer

Which is why I never understand people buying these games for a console. It's like you're intentionally choosing the inferior product.

That I can sit on my couch and relax and play after spending most of a day at a desk in front of a computer.
That my friends can watch me play and go "holy crap that's so cool!"
etc.

"But Beamer, you can hook your computer up to a TV..."
Yes, if my office and my living room are next to each other. They aren't.

-------------

30. Re: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Trailer Jun 8, 2011, 09:21 Sho

Sepharo wrote on Jun 8, 2011, 01:19:
Hahaha wow, despite years of playtime in Morrowind I had nearly totally forgotten about the cliff racers.

Lucky you. It's been years now, and sometimes, when I close my eyes, I can still hear them screech.

*shivers*

49 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo