Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Evening Previews

View
6 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

6. Re: Evening Previews Jun 8, 2011, 13:28 CommunistHamster

Gameplay > realism in battlefield, deal with it. Hence the terrible "trading shots" tank combat in BF2, compared to the 1 hit in the rear armour = dead from 1942.  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

5. Re: Evening Previews Jun 8, 2011, 11:23 Teddy

eRe4s3r wrote on Jun 8, 2011, 04:38:
They just made the destruction of vehicles a 2 stage process, its a much needed change when they really add full blown jet and air support. Now you can potentially get out of destroyed vehicles instead of blowing up because your driver overlooked a mine.

Playing BC2 i totally see what the idea is behind this change. Its a good one imo.

But whether regenerating health for tanks is a good idea.....

I don't disagree that in SOME cases it should take more to destroy a vehicle. An RPG should not cause an APC to instantly and completely explode, nor should a mine instantly kill everyone inside any sort of armored transport (though they do often kill some). My issue is the idea of a jet or a helicopter hitting a hummvee with a rocket and not destroying it.

That's a complete break of suspension of disbelief. There is NO WAY IN HELL you would survive a direct rocket strike from either of those in a hummvee, jeep or APC. Those weapons are designed specifically to have the power to COMPLETELY destroy their targets. They don't make those rockets to 'incapacitate'. There is no single situation that someone would walk out of one of those explosions alive. Period.

That is what concerns me when they say "most of the time the vehicle will be incapacitated". Had they said sometimes, I probably would have shrugged it off and said it's an interesting idea, and assumed that they had taken into account the power of the weapons involved in each case. But if even ONCE I see a jeep get hit directly by a rocket and only one person dies while 3 passengers hop out and run away, that's a facepalm worthy moment of stupidity on the part of the developers.

4. Re: Evening Previews Jun 8, 2011, 07:55 CommunistHamster

It'll give people an incentive to do more effective ambushes, that sounds quite exciting. It is true that nobody used the transports in the previous games.

Nothing quite like the satisfaction of
Comham [SRAW] Pubbie1
Comham [SRAW] Pubbie2
Comham [SRAW] Pubbie3
Comham [SRAW] Pubbie4
Comham [SRAW] Pubbie5
Comham [SRAW] Pubbie6
though. Lovely fragile RIBs on Wake Island.

Also, Hitman... doesn't sound good. If that's the tutorial level, fine, they're always linear and action packed (see: the fairground in Blood Money), and I can always just not use the noobvision (although if they design the game around it too much then that's buggered too) but creeping in the shadows? 47 hides in plain sight!

3. Re: Evening Previews Jun 8, 2011, 04:38 eRe4s3r

They just made the destruction of vehicles a 2 stage process, its a much needed change when they really add full blown jet and air support. Now you can potentially get out of destroyed vehicles instead of blowing up because your driver overlooked a mine.

Playing BC2 i totally see what the idea is behind this change. Its a good one imo.

But whether regenerating health for tanks is a good idea.....

2. Re: Evening Previews Jun 7, 2011, 23:42 Jerykk

The new Hitman sounds dangerously close to Conviction. Trying to make the story more personal, trying to blend action and stealth and make the whole thing more "visceral." Not to mention the seemingly unavoidable helicopter chase sequence. I'm concerned. The Noob Vision that lets you see through walls is pretty lame as well. However, as long as action and Noob Vision are completely optional, I'm happy. The helicopter chase sequence doesn't sound very avoidable, though.  

1. Re: Evening Previews Jun 7, 2011, 22:07 Teddy

The vehicles now regenerate health, and rather than blowing up they instead get immobilized most of the time.

Eh.... what? Granted, they attempt to explain via:

We, like many of our players, felt that a rocket blowing up a vehicle full of passengers wasn’t fun. It made one player very happy, but sucked for five others, so many players just avoided the transport vehicles. Now, the person sitting the closest to the explosion might die, but the others can get out and the guy on the mounted machine gun can fire in support, which makes the battle longer and more interesting.

But all the same, I have to disagree vehemently. Allowing there to be a chance of survival depending on the damage dealt to the vehicle, sure, but "most of the time the vehicle gets disabled"? If an attack helicopter lays into a hummvee with multiple rockets, it's not going to just suffer some minor engine trouble as a result.

I had no problem with the way transport vehicles worked. If you took one close enough to contested territory to get fired on, then that was a calculated risk. Sometimes expediency made that risk necessary, other times it didn't and you could drop off a safe distance from the fighting and move in on foot.

This is just going to cause more people to drive vehicles straight into cap zones and then have everyone hop out. Risk? One person might die if the vehicle gets disabled, but you've just deposited 4 others into the capture zone instantly as a result.

Boo I say.

6 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo