Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

ARMA 3 Trailer

A new ARMA 3 E3 teaser trailer shows off a bit of Bohemia Interactive Studios' upcoming military first-person shooter sequel. The clip is pretty brief, and doesn't offer any gameplay, but there is a big badaboom, and it is accompanied by these screenshots, which do appear to be in-game. Here's the accompanying description: "Arma 3 will provide players with a unique experience of sandbox-oriented combat gameplay set in the most detailed and vast environment of the series. Players will fight through a story-oriented campaign by taking control of a multitude of aircraft, vehicles and ships; shooting anything from pistols to sophisticated weaponry." The clip is embedded below.

View
27 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

27. Re: ARMA 3 Trailer Jun 14, 2011, 21:12 SectorEffector

Muscular Beaver wrote on Jun 10, 2011, 04:29:
CommunistHamster wrote on Jun 8, 2011, 08:04:
The AI looks dumb as a rock from a tactical point sometimes, but on a strategic scale they are very smart. Large scale flanking manoeuvres can really catch you out, as it's not something you expect from an AI.

I find it pretty funny when people complain about the AI. I would like to know to which AI they compare it. There simply is NO AI out there that can handle an open world like that, can drive vehicles, fly aircraft, mount statics, go stealth, stay in various formations (even in vehicles), change their behavior completely in a blink of an eye, communicate with each other, look for cover, actually use that cover properly, follow orders, make decisions on their own, execute complex tactics, etc. When I play warfare (which is a mix of PvE and PvP), I sometimes cant tell if its an AI or a player. They even use lean and duck properly.
ArmAs AI is the best out there. Sure it has flaws (the biggest being pathfinding), but in the same sentence people complain about the performance too. I cant believe how far from reality some people are...

Whats next? People complain that ArmA 2s view distance is only 10 km? Because their console game has 40 km, but they dont realize that their "40 km" is actually only 100m with a texture on the horizon...

word.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6-Q2iICtlIc
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

26. Re: ARMA 3 Trailer Jun 10, 2011, 04:29 Muscular Beaver

CommunistHamster wrote on Jun 8, 2011, 08:04:
The AI looks dumb as a rock from a tactical point sometimes, but on a strategic scale they are very smart. Large scale flanking manoeuvres can really catch you out, as it's not something you expect from an AI.

I find it pretty funny when people complain about the AI. I would like to know to which AI they compare it. There simply is NO AI out there that can handle an open world like that, can drive vehicles, fly aircraft, mount statics, go stealth, stay in various formations (even in vehicles), change their behavior completely in a blink of an eye, communicate with each other, look for cover, actually use that cover properly, follow orders, make decisions on their own, execute complex tactics, etc. When I play warfare (which is a mix of PvE and PvP), I sometimes cant tell if its an AI or a player. They even use lean and duck properly.
ArmAs AI is the best out there. Sure it has flaws (the biggest being pathfinding), but in the same sentence people complain about the performance too. I cant believe how far from reality some people are...

Whats next? People complain that ArmA 2s view distance is only 10 km? Because their console game has 40 km, but they dont realize that their "40 km" is actually only 100m with a texture on the horizon...

This comment was edited on Jun 10, 2011, 04:37.

Oh that is so lame... You will PAY for your use of inappropriate dialogue!
- Mojo Jojo

25. Re: ARMA 3 Trailer Jun 8, 2011, 08:04 CommunistHamster

I disagree with Dmitri M, sure there are a few unpleasant milsim groups (accidentally joined one once, spent an evening in virtual boot camp, not fun, avoid Operation Reality) but there are plenty of groups (SPARTA, TourOfTeamrespawn) that just play come cool coop missions on weekends with good coordination but not taking it too seriously.

Not to mention Charlie Foxtrot, the giant PVP tournament. Had some good fun with them.

24. Re: ARMA 3 Trailer Jun 8, 2011, 04:56 Muscular Beaver

LittleMe wrote on Jun 7, 2011, 17:47:
I agree with the overall sentiment here, especially Dmitri M. The fun is gone in Arma2. Even in this press release they use words like 'gameplay' and 'players' but where is the focus on the game fun and playability? The shitty net-code, the bad performance, the heinous UI and the uncooperative players on public servers all combine to make this game fail hard. It could be good. I want to like it. I just.. can't. Btw, if you want outstanding squad work, Project Reality is where it's at. I would love it if BIS outdid PRmod. I expect hell to freeze over before that happens.

I see you still havent tried ACE2, but have retained your audacious ignorance. Nice!

- Mojo Jojo

23. Re: ARMA 3 Trailer Jun 8, 2011, 01:38 bjack

jimnms wrote on Jun 7, 2011, 23:47:
I hope they put some effort into making the AI worth a damn this time around. It really hasn't changed much since the original OFP. One minute they can be dumb as a rock, running into walls and can't find an enemy standing 2ft. in front of them, but the next they take you out with one shot, from a mile away, at night, with an AK if you so much as fart into the wind.

Yeah this really kills it. And since there is no real pvp scene in arma ... bleh. And I love the concept of the Warfare gamemode.

Just hoping somehow PRmod will release a damn version for arma 2 sometime before bf3 is out.

22. Re: ARMA 3 Trailer Jun 7, 2011, 23:47 jimnms

I hope they put some effort into making the AI worth a damn this time around. It really hasn't changed much since the original OFP. One minute they can be dumb as a rock, running into walls and can't find an enemy standing 2ft. in front of them, but the next they take you out with one shot, from a mile away, at night, with an AK if you so much as fart into the wind.  

Steam Profile

21. Re: ARMA 3 Trailer Jun 7, 2011, 19:35 G-Snake

Muscular Beaver wrote on Jun 7, 2011, 15:14:
Play Warfare. Done.
Dont need a squad to enjoy the game. People are cool enough on those public servers.

Dont listen to the console kids who whine about bugs, because there have been no big ones since a few months after release. Yes, it has bugs, but every real PC ever had bugs, especially huge and complex ones like ArmA 2. Funnily everyone hacks on ArmA 2 now since its one of the very last real PC games, and of course cant hold up to the dumbed down and bugless console ports in that aspect.

But if you realize what this game is all about, it is still the best game out there right now. I just cant get enough of it. The awesome support just adds to it.

Of course you will die a thousands deaths before you master ArmA 2 and will think, its impossible to not die a thousand deaths each game. Ive been playing it for years and still die dumb deaths, but I realize every time that it was my own fault.
ArmA 2 has a very steep learning curve and can be very frustrating since it makes you feel like a complete noob and playing against cheaters, even for OFP veterans.

I'll take your advice, reinstall it, and try playing again. I don't mind getting frustrated in games, to me that's half the fun, seeing how much work it will take, and then going through the challenge of it.

20. Re: ARMA 3 Trailer Jun 7, 2011, 19:13 SectorEffector

LittleMe wrote on Jun 7, 2011, 17:47:
I agree with the overall sentiment here, especially Dmitri M. The fun is gone in Arma2. Even in this press release they use words like 'gameplay' and 'players' but where is the focus on the game fun and playability? The shitty net-code, the bad performance, the heinous UI and the uncooperative players on public servers all combine to make this game fail hard. It could be good. I want to like it. I just.. can't. Btw, if you want outstanding squad work, Project Reality is where it's at. I would love it if BIS outdid PRmod. I expect hell to freeze over before that happens.

Fun is gone?

Maybe if you aren't creating levels to keep you and your friends playing. ArmaA 2 is great modded esp with the Blastcore pack. I'm happy to finally have some physics, now if they have ragdolls then this game already has some more shelf life for me.

I never purchase a Bohemia title expecting a lot of mission options, I expect a lot of options in the editor and with the games content. So Far they have done a good job.

Now streamlining the game to play smoother and easier for the new guys, thats a big problem it's always had. I think I would have to admit I very recently finally learned just about all the controls in ArmA that are critical to playing as quick and as effective as I do now.

I'll take ArmA3 I know BF3 will be awesome as well, they are different games.

I like to know there are Sim FPS games, Action FPS games and Arcade FPS games, which all have their place.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6-Q2iICtlIc

19. Re: ARMA 3 Trailer Jun 7, 2011, 18:40 Techie714 ©

On a side note I bought a new card today. Evga GTX570 Super Clocked.
http://www.evga.com/products/moreInfo.asp?pn=012-P3-1572-AR&family=GeForce 500 Series Family&sw=

Steam (ID)
http://steamcommunity.com/id/techie714/
DEAD SH0T
Keep your privacy!
http://prism-break.org/

18. Re: ARMA 3 Trailer Jun 7, 2011, 17:47 LittleMe

Political freedom can only be preceded by economic freedom which is preceded by monetary freedom.

17. Re: ARMA 3 Trailer Jun 7, 2011, 17:36 Dmitri_M

To really enjoy Arma you need to join a sewing circle like squad where the sorts of mods played are predetermined, and preset "game days" are chosen. Just trying to join a random server is problematic as the server admins all run different mods.

If there ever was a "grognard fps", ArmA is it.

I ran\was involved in OFP\Arma squads for years but eventually gave up on it. Many of the newer ArmA players are obsessed with the realism thing. I played OFP like it was a "fun game", but somehow ArmA which is essentially the same thing has become the NON FUN SIMULATOR COD ALTERNATIVE and tends to attract a lot of idiot sim nuts who don't play games for fun it seems, OR weirdos content to play strange RPG mods or that utterly shit Warfare RTS crap. The franchise is dead. BIS are just regurgitating it for what amounts to a community comprised of creepy modders who don't actually play games.
BIS provide the engine, the modder's provide what people actually play. Out of my old ArmA community of about 25 'hardcore' players NO ONE touched any campaign developed by BIS.

Not exactly the easiest title to get into if you're "just a gamer".

16. Re: ARMA 3 Trailer Jun 7, 2011, 15:16 Muscular Beaver

Wallshadows wrote on Jun 7, 2011, 13:08:
So will you need a computer built in 2013 to enjoy it or will they actually tune the engine to be a little more...realistic?

/rimshot

They actually did that with patches already. I run it without problems on a 3 year old mid size rig at max settings minus post processing plus 16x AF and 2x AA.
But, all this tweaking and tuning actually made it look worse than before. A pity that whiners have so much power.

- Mojo Jojo

15. Re: ARMA 3 Trailer Jun 7, 2011, 15:14 Muscular Beaver

G-Snake wrote on Jun 7, 2011, 10:57:
I kept hearing that Arma 2 was this great game that would make me forget about games like Battlefield and CoD, so I decided to pick it up on a steam sale.

The game seems like it COULD be good, however no matter what server I join, I get a lot of lag that causes the game to be mostly unplayable (yes I try to find those close with low ping, although there doesn't seem to be a lot of North American-based servers). If I actually manage to join a server, it's mostly guys standing around, or if someone gets a chopper, they fly 5 miles only to be instantly shot down near any kind of hostile.

Could someone explain to me a way to enjoy this game? It seems like I would like it.

The trailer for Arma III looks very impressive if that's actual in-game footage, which I imagine it is if Arma III is a PC exclusive.

Play Warfare. Done.
Dont need a squad to enjoy the game. People are cool enough on those public servers.

Dont listen to the console kids who whine about bugs, because there have been no big ones since a few months after release. Yes, it has bugs, but every real PC ever had bugs, especially huge and complex ones like ArmA 2. Funnily everyone hacks on ArmA 2 now since its one of the very last real PC games, and of course cant hold up to the dumbed down and bugless console ports in that aspect.

But if you realize what this game is all about, it is still the best game out there right now. I just cant get enough of it. The awesome support just adds to it.

Of course you will die a thousands deaths before you master ArmA 2 and will think, its impossible to not die a thousand deaths each game. Ive been playing it for years and still die dumb deaths, but I realize every time that it was my own fault.
ArmA 2 has a very steep learning curve and can be very frustrating since it makes you feel like a complete noob and playing against cheaters, even for OFP veterans.

This comment was edited on Jun 7, 2011, 15:21.

- Mojo Jojo

14. Re: ARMA 3 Trailer Jun 7, 2011, 13:17 Creston

Chicken... Good!

I learn.

Creston

13. Re: ARMA 3 Trailer Jun 7, 2011, 13:08 Wallshadows

So will you need a computer built in 2013 to enjoy it or will they actually tune the engine to be a little more...realistic?

/rimshot

12. Re: ARMA 3 Trailer Jun 7, 2011, 12:34 Jerykk

FYI, the teaser trailer does not show in-game footage. It's live-action footage with some CGI thrown in.  

11. Re: ARMA 3 Trailer Jun 7, 2011, 12:32 Techie714 ©

O...M...G The REAL DEAL is coming back! I must have put in about 100+ hours into ARMA 2. This new one looks AMAZING. Did you see those smoke effects? What I love about ARMA is it does not hand hold you & cut corners it's far more of a tactical simulator & less of a shooter. We need more games like that. I miss the old Rainbow Six 6 games, where you had to think, plan, & then execute.  

Steam (ID)
http://steamcommunity.com/id/techie714/
DEAD SH0T
Keep your privacy!
http://prism-break.org/

10. Re: ARMA 3 Trailer Jun 7, 2011, 12:31 JoeNapalm

Good. Uh...so, that...that whole thing is your name?

Do you have a, uh, shorter name? Shorter?

Not uhyuhyuhuhyeyuh?

Shor-ter?

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

9. Re: ARMA 3 Trailer Jun 7, 2011, 12:04 Creston

Esoteric wrote on Jun 7, 2011, 10:41:
Leeloo Dallas mul-ti-pass.

Yes, she knows it's a multipass!

Creston

8. Re: ARMA 3 Trailer Jun 7, 2011, 11:52 Darks

Sty wrote on Jun 7, 2011, 11:29:
The new logo approach looks like they're trying to emulate BF3. At least they shed the "metal" branding.

I've was a huge fan of Flashpoint and bought ARMA, then tried the ARMA II demo. It seems they cannot shake the bugginess. It always feels slightly off and fighting failed script triggers in the campaigns or glitches was annoying as hell. I couldn't bring myself to continue down that road.

I had the same issues, I really wanted to enjoy and play the ARMA series but the game always fell flat for me and my friends because of all the issues the game presented. If they clean the game plays up to be more like the way COD feels then Iíll be on board again. And when I say make it feel like COD Iím referring in terms of the way you move around and shoot the weapons. Not that over the top BS of endless spawning of enemies.

Creator of the Neverwnter Nights Eye of the Beholder Series of Mods.

http://nwvault.ign.com/View.php?view=Modules.Detail&id=6375

27 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo