Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Dungeon Siege III Demo

Steam now offers a playable demo for Dungeon Siege III, providing the chance to check out this action/RPG sequel developed by Obsidian Entertainment. Here is what they have to say about this:

The Dungeon Siege III Demo is now available via Steam. Experience a small taste of Dungeon Siege III in single-player and 2-person local co-op play modes. (co-op requires two controllers)

Click Here to download and start playing. Must have Steam installed.

Pre-Purchase your copy of Dungeon Siege III today and be ready to play when it launches this month.

View
118 Replies. 6 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 ] Older >

118. Re: Dungeon Siege III Demo Jun 11, 2011, 14:00 Ant

Bumpy wrote on Jun 11, 2011, 13:48:
I am dumbfounded people in here are saying kb/m is not the standard control device for PC. WTF?

Because they're video game consolers.

Ant @ The Ant Farm: http://antfarm.ma.cx and Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net ...
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

117. Re: Dungeon Siege III Demo Jun 11, 2011, 13:48 Bumpy

I am dumbfounded people in here are saying kb/m is not the standard control device for PC. WTF?

116. Re: Dungeon Siege III Demo Jun 10, 2011, 16:05 Ant

Sambuca wrote on Jun 10, 2011, 16:03:
Like others have said, it's gone the way of the console. Plays nothing at all like the first two.
Bummer.

Ant @ The Ant Farm: http://antfarm.ma.cx and Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net ...

115. Re: Dungeon Siege III Demo Jun 10, 2011, 16:03 Sambuca

Like others have said, it's gone the way of the console. Plays nothing at all like the first two.  

114. Re: Dungeon Siege III Demo Jun 10, 2011, 15:50 Ant

Sambuca wrote on Jun 10, 2011, 15:46:
Very disappointed with this demo. I was a huge fan of both DS1 and DS2. The game was fun the way it was, why fix something that isn't broke?

Is it different people on DS3 compared to the previous two?

113. Re: Dungeon Siege III Demo Jun 10, 2011, 15:46 Sambuca

Very disappointed with this demo. I was a huge fan of both DS1 and DS2. The game was fun the way it was, why fix something that isn't broke?

112. Re: Dungeon Siege III Demo Jun 9, 2011, 13:59 descender

You're a 40 year old that acts like he's 12 and games on a $2k rig. You also love the DS3 and Duke3D demo's.

I call bullshit.

This comment was edited on Jun 9, 2011, 14:08.

111. Re: Dungeon Siege III Demo Jun 8, 2011, 15:24 noman

eRe4s3r wrote on Jun 8, 2011, 04:44:
True enough, except you are supposed and required to use the AD keys for camera adjustments throughout the game. If AD was used to strafe or dodge, or rotate, then that'd be fine. But camera controls, on AD ?

So the problem isn't that the bearing is done via mouse, the problem is that WS is forward/backward, but AD rotates the camera without the character. Even on a x360 controller that makes no sense.

But A/D in a way do rotate the character, because whenever you press W, the character moves in the direction of the camera instantly. There aren't even any animation frames between that change of direction when moving from a stand-still position.. It's just a sudden movement. So while walking, the A/D keys rotate the direction of player, and when standing still they effectively do the same, because once you start moving it is in the new direction.

The combat is controlled anyway by mouse clicks, regardless of the character bearing.

110. Re: Dungeon Siege III Demo Jun 8, 2011, 09:52 InBlack

All demo's are good. There is no such thing as a bad demo. If a demo happens to show how bad the actual game is, or that the game is not to your particular taste, then all the better.

A demo of a game always equals a win in my book. Kudos to the publishers for releasing it.

I have a nifty blue line!

109. Re: Dungeon Siege III Demo Jun 8, 2011, 08:52 Verno

As much as you and others might want to whine about it, making a PC game that needs or should be played with a controller is just fine. If you are stubborn and will never buy a controller then don't buy the game, problem solved.

Not really, no. I can't believe you of all people are trumpeting this stupid nonsense, did you fall and hit your head on something? You know better than this. There is nothing about this specific game or this type of gameplay that should require a controller. You talk about customization but act as if people should just use one thing because you did or X dev didn't feel like doing something, it's hypocrisy. You say other people are whining but all I see is you bleating about other people. They are making very legitimate and reasonable posts with concerns about standardized input issues amongst other things.

Saying "oh they will probably patch it in later" doesn't exactly fill people with confidence after being burned by previous console lead titles like Transformers where it was never patched in. Can you point to developer discussion where they have indicated that it will be patched in? At least that game had the decency to use a somewhat standardized control schema. As for "dont buy it", the answer to that is "DUH", that's the point of the demo after all - evaluating the game to make a purchase decision.

Playing: Dark Souls 2
Watching: Legends, Intruders, Apocalypse Now

108. Re: Dungeon Siege III Demo Jun 8, 2011, 08:34 StingingVelvet

Dades wrote on Jun 8, 2011, 06:46:
You keep trying to sidestep the issue to avoid admitting you're wrong. There is no reason this game would be offered on the PC while ignoring the majority of its installed customer base short of laziness from the developer or publisher.

There is no technical or creative reason this game needed to have such poor controls and refuse to let the user rebind keys, none. We are talking pretty simple programming to write entries to a configuration file, I mean it's literally babies first VB class stuff. The problems with the control scheme and interface have nothing to do with its genre, that's a straw man you keep bringing up.

They will almost surely patch-in customized keybinds before or shortly after launch. I guess there's a chance they won't, but I doubt it.

In any event, as someone said below the PC has no standard controls. No, a controller and joystick do not come with a new PC, but neither do monitors or gaming mice or headphones or microphones or games themselves. The awesome part of PC gaming is customizing and the adaptability of the platform. Street Fighter on PC might be near impossible with a keyboard but thank God it's on PC because it looks amazing, runs amazing and the PC has a wealth of controller options.

As much as you and others might want to whine about it, making a PC game that needs or should be played with a controller is just fine. If you are stubborn and will never buy a controller then don't buy the game, problem solved.

107. Re: Dungeon Siege III Demo Jun 8, 2011, 06:46 Dades

don't know in how many ways I can answer your claim of 'a game must support most common system effectively, otherwise the developers messed up'. I am just glad that some game developers over the years have largely ignored this idiotic notion, and we have had games that had exclusive/effective PC requirements that weren't the most common at the time (VGA, math coprocessor, 3D cards, hard-disk, mouse, controllers, RAM EMS/XMS, sound cards, CD-ROM, DVD-ROM etc)

You keep trying to sidestep the issue to avoid admitting you're wrong. There is no reason this game would be offered on the PC while ignoring the majority of its installed customer base short of laziness from the developer or publisher.

There is no technical or creative reason this game needed to have such poor controls and refuse to let the user rebind keys, none. We are talking pretty simple programming to write entries to a configuration file, I mean it's literally babies first VB class stuff. The problems with the control scheme and interface have nothing to do with its genre, that's a straw man you keep bringing up.

106. Re: Dungeon Siege III Demo Jun 8, 2011, 04:44 eRe4s3r

True enough, except you are supposed and required to use the AD keys for camera adjustments throughout the game. If AD was used to strafe or dodge, or rotate, then that'd be fine. But camera controls, on AD ?

So the problem isn't that the bearing is done via mouse, the problem is that WS is forward/backward, but AD rotates the camera without the character. Even on a x360 controller that makes no sense.

105. Re: Dungeon Siege III Demo Jun 8, 2011, 04:39 Esoteric

I was right! Thank you for the expositions on why it's bad. Even though defining consolitis in this day and age is easy, it's best done by third parties.  

104. Re: Dungeon Siege III Demo Jun 8, 2011, 04:22 Xirix

Too bad this demo was total shit.  

103. Re: Dungeon Siege III Demo Jun 8, 2011, 03:08 noman

Having tried the demo with mouse/keyboard controls, I am not bothered at all by the movement interface. Mouse alone works fine, and WASD also works fine. It doesn't matter if the character doesn't rotate with A/D key, since he changes direction instantly when you press forward key.

There are several disappointing things about the interface though

* No tool tips
* No way to label objects on the ground.
* No way to collect objects until you are standing right next to them
* Combat requires repeated and continuous clicks
* Too many interface screens
* Too much of a zoomed in perspective

As far as use of mouse in movement, combat and menu/dialog selection is concerned, it's all there and work like most other action/RPGs. I just wish they hadn't tried to be too clever in separating out movement and combat clicks (right and left respectively). Titan Quest and Diablo 2 both worked great by keeping left click as the primary interaction (with the game deciding what to do depending on whether you clicked on scenery object or an enemy) Of course the two games also had locked perspective.

I think they can simplify the movement and camera controls, and the game will turn out much better.

102. Re: Dungeon Siege III Demo Jun 8, 2011, 02:54 noman

Teddy wrote on Jun 7, 2011, 22:47:
Funny, it's your approach that I see as idiotic and short sighted. I'm not the one saying that anyone should HAVE to play the game any way. That's you, my friend, suggesting it's fine to make a game on PC that controls horribly on KB+M but fine on a gamepad, which in turn makes it essential to play on a gamepad to enjoy the game.

It's natural to have a game that plays better on a particular control interface because of the type of game (genre) due to the mechanics. You are the one bringing platform in the debate, when it's not about that. No matter how much you polish an FPS to work with controller, it can't match keyboard and mouse, all other things being equal. Similarly you can tap-tap-tap all you want on the keyboard but the analog controls will play better on racing games when cornering a turn or controlling the speed.

I don't know in how many ways I can answer your claim of 'a game must support most common system effectively, otherwise the developers messed up'. I am just glad that some game developers over the years have largely ignored this idiotic notion, and we have had games that had exclusive/effective PC requirements that weren't the most common at the time (VGA, math coprocessor, 3D cards, hard-disk, mouse, controllers, RAM EMS/XMS, sound cards, CD-ROM, DVD-ROM etc)

101. Re: Dungeon Siege III Demo Jun 8, 2011, 02:43 Agent.X7

PS - Dear Obsidian; Torchlight. Torchlight, Torchlight, Torchlight. Oh, and Torchlight.  

Origin - JStarX7
STEAM - Agent.X7
PSN - JStar_X7
Xbox Live - Agent X7

100. Re: Dungeon Siege III Demo Jun 8, 2011, 02:41 Agent.X7

Graphics look good. Controls, eh, they're OK. I don't like that with my 360 controller plugged in I can't choose to use m/kb anyway, I actually have to unplug the controller. That's dumb. Not a big fan of the GIANT STRAIGHT LINE linear map. Follow the line, no choices to worry about, blah. Also don't don't like the convoluted talents, powers, etc, etc, etc screens. Holy crap, they're trying to give MMO complexity and way overdoing it.

All in all, I think I will pass. Like, Space Siege pass. (You know, not even bothering to buy it when it's $10)

Origin - JStarX7
STEAM - Agent.X7
PSN - JStar_X7
Xbox Live - Agent X7

99. Re: Dungeon Siege III Demo Jun 8, 2011, 01:15 Krovven

Teddy wrote on Jun 7, 2011, 22:58:
Where did you hear that they can be adjusted?

Someone's post below, dont recall who, dont care to look...said that the camera and mouse can be inverted, which seems to have solved the issue (at least for one person), maybe others if they try it. I havent tried the demo yet, in no rush to do so.

118 Replies. 6 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo