Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

RAGE Trailer

The Well Official Gameplay Trailer shows off almost eight minutes of gameplay from RAGE, id Software's upcoming first-person shooter. Here's how the clip is described: "RAGE's newest gameplay clip takes you to The Well. The town of Wellspring is being terrorized by a bandit clan threatening to poison the town's water supply and they need your help. The ransacked well must be infiltrated and the bandit threat of lethal contamination must be stopped." The embedded version follows.

View
65 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

65. Re: RAGE Trailer Jun 6, 2011, 09:07 Verno

Jonny5 wrote on Jun 6, 2011, 02:54:
No shit, not that...the part of textures being dumbed down for PC... THATS what i want proof for. Should have highlighted what i wanted you to proof, but ya take the ONLY truth in your statement to rebutted with. Proove that RAGE PC textures are gonna be dumbed down!!!

Haha what the hell? Are you drunk or on something? Watch the video, they are clearly low resolution textures. He's talking about in this video, the video that is the reason for this story.

Playing: Infamous Second Son
Watching: Midsomer Murders, Dominion, The Knick
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

64. Re: RAGE Trailer Jun 6, 2011, 04:20 Jerykk

No shit, not that...the part of textures being dumbed down for PC... THATS what i want proof for. Should have highlighted what i wanted you to proof, but ya take the ONLY truth in your statement to rebutted with. Proove that RAGE PC textures are gonna be dumbed down!!!

Well, this video clearly shows the PC build of the game, as evidenced by the numerous "E" button prompts. The textures in this video were pretty low-res. It's certainly possible that they turned down the texture resolution for this video but why would they do that? Wouldn't they want the game to look its very best for marketing purposes? It's also possible that this is console build that uses PC button prompts. But again, why would they bother implementing PC button prompts into the console versions of the game?

Take those considerations and also throw in the fact that X360 is the lead platform for RAGE (Carmack said so in an interview) and that the PC versions of multiplatform games rarely have higher resolution textures than the console versions. The only logical conclusion is that the PC version will share the same low-res textures as the console versions. I'd love to be proven wrong, though.

63. Re: RAGE Trailer Jun 6, 2011, 02:55 Paranoid Jack

Don't forget that one of the design goals (when John Carmack built Tech 5) was to be able to alter and/or design the game across all platforms at once. So while you're right the different platforms have different code the software Carmack created translates across the three. So it is possible that this demo could be running from any of the three platforms. Though I tend to believe it's on a PC just using a controler.

edit: Oh, add me to the list of people that had written this one off but after watching this video has had a change of heart.

62. Re: RAGE Trailer Jun 6, 2011, 02:54 Jonny5

Jerykk wrote on Jun 5, 2011, 16:33:
Your full of it... Back up these statements please! Thanks

Seriously? Okay, let me ask you this: without using any sort of emulation, can you run PSX games on your PC? N64 games? Dreamcast games? Mac games? PS2 games? PSP games? No, you can't. Different platforms use different code and this code is not universally compatible across all platforms. There is currently no way to emulate X360 or PS3 hardware on a PC so therefore, there is no way to play X360 or PS3 builds on a PC. If a multiplatform game has a PC SKU (or at least a PC build), then that can be run on a PC. X360 and PS3 builds can only be run on their respective test/dev kits, though.

61. Re: RAGE Trailer Jun 5, 2011, 16:33 Jerykk

Seriously? Okay, let me ask you this: without using any sort of emulation, can you run PSX games on your PC? N64 games? Dreamcast games? Mac games? PS2 games? PSP games? No, you can't. Different platforms use different code and this code is not universally compatible across all platforms. There is currently no way to emulate X360 or PS3 hardware on a PC so therefore, there is no way to play X360 or PS3 builds on a PC. If a multiplatform game has a PC SKU (or at least a PC build), then that can be run on a PC. X360 and PS3 builds can only be run on their respective test/dev kits, though.

60. Re: RAGE Trailer Jun 5, 2011, 14:36 Dades

Jonny5 wrote on Jun 5, 2011, 14:04:

You typically can't just cross compile a console binary to run on the PC for a huge variety of reasons that wouldn't all fit into this topic. Read up on cross compilation and developing for multiple platforms.

59. Re: RAGE Trailer Jun 5, 2011, 14:04 Jonny5

Jerykk wrote on Jun 5, 2011, 01:27:
Maybe they ran the console build on a PC... that would explain seeing the "e".

You can't run console builds on a PC. You have to run them on their respective dev/test kits. This is definitely the PC build. The textures are low-res because this is a multiplatform game and thus, the textures are designed for the lowest common denominator. Consoles don't have enough memory to use high-res textures for everything.

58. Re: RAGE Trailer Jun 5, 2011, 12:46 swedishfriend

The game looks gorgeous compared to borderland and fallout3. Each enemy looks unique, each piece of wall and flooring, etc. Besides all that it will be fun to play! ID has never let me down when it comes to outstanding, fun gameplay. DOOM 3, their last FPS game, is still fun for me to play when I go back to it once in a while. It is a good reminder of how shitty most single player FPS games play. Yes other games have interesting concepts and genre-mixing but few feel as fun to play.  

57. Re: RAGE Trailer Jun 5, 2011, 12:02 Prez

Looks promising to me; it's biggest challenge will be to convince people it's not FallBorderOutLands.  

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

56. Re: RAGE Trailer Jun 5, 2011, 12:01 siapnar

This games looks fucking fantastic as far as I'm concerned.

Yes, we've seen gunplay like this before, and weapons, and cheesy dialogue... but the overall package is very polished and the gameplay looks like a ton of fun, which is what it all comes down to.

I just wish they'd have their promo vids actually run at 60fps (if the game itself does indeed do so), which is definitely not the case here.

I have projectile dysfunction.

55. Re: RAGE Trailer Jun 5, 2011, 10:05 Ray Marden

I could see some of the turning being due to recording a video or playing with a controller, but I do think the video has a slow movement speed in general. I am not sure if the player is only "walking" through the recording or, akin to D3, the player movement speed it just a tad lower than others.
I'd love a story, character upgrading, and world interaction.
Suspecting a lot of June's releases will be unspectacular,
Ray

Everything is awesome!!!
http://shoutengine.com/GarnettonGames/
I love you, mom.

54. Re: RAGE Trailer Jun 5, 2011, 09:25 Nameless Again

Boring. Already played this game. It was called Fallout 3. id, what happened to you?  

53. Re: RAGE Trailer Jun 5, 2011, 09:16 DG

I was reminded a little more of Borderlands than FO3, despite the "wellsprings" reference, though I think it's going to be a lot more FPS oriented than either of those.

Regarding the HUD popups "press E", I don't think too much should be read into that. They could still be using the PC icons in the console build and vice-versa. Similarly I expect the weapon wheel will be in the PC version but most folks will be using the direct selection with the number keys - why take out an option that some people (however few) might prefer? It's also helpful narrative for trailer purposes.

IIRC it's also fairly common technique for recording videos to use a controller or mouse with very low sensitivity - it's just better for camera work.

52. Re: RAGE Trailer Jun 5, 2011, 07:36 MoreLuckThanSkill

All of the trailers for this game have been interesting to me, game looks like a definite buy unless there ends up being some ridiculous DRM on it. Maybe on sale though if this is the highest the resolution goes!

Hopefully we get a more coop-oriented trailer soon.

51. Re: RAGE Trailer Jun 5, 2011, 03:04 Ledge

tehnolan wrote on Jun 4, 2011, 13:33:
This looks great and the textures look beautiful. First couple of trailers didn't really do it for me but this looks far more promising.

yep agree. depth of field is amazing. im on this one.

50. Re: RAGE Trailer Jun 5, 2011, 02:43 entr0py

My biggest misgiving about the game was that the weapons all seemed unimaginative. A pistol, shotgun, assault rifle and a crossbow. But, seeing the verity of ammo makes a big difference. Now if they can just show something besides albino sewer mutants, I'll be convinced the game has enough verity.  

49. Re: RAGE Trailer Jun 5, 2011, 01:27 Jerykk

Maybe they ran the console build on a PC... that would explain seeing the "e".

You can't run console builds on a PC. You have to run them on their respective dev/test kits. This is definitely the PC build. The textures are low-res because this is a multiplatform game and thus, the textures are designed for the lowest common denominator. Consoles don't have enough memory to use high-res textures for everything.

48. Re: RAGE Trailer Jun 5, 2011, 00:55 Fion

This isn't console footage. Every one of these is on the PC using a gamepad. Apparently the console version will look about this good and still run at 60fps, which is quite an achievement. But yes I doubt it'll look THIS good. Frankly this looks as good as the CG looks for console games lol.  

47. Re: RAGE Trailer Jun 5, 2011, 00:46 Joss

xXBatmanXx wrote on Jun 4, 2011, 22:51:
I was wondering why the movement of the cursor was so slow, but using a gamepad on a PC would make sense, as there is no way in hell this is footage from the console - it doesn't have the power to do these textures.

Jesus man! That's just plain ole blasphemy! Look at the 720p video--it shows the lo-res textures better.

My money is on console footage. There was basic water effects that clued me in too. Maybe they ran the console build on a PC... that would explain seeing the "e".

46. Re: RAGE Trailer Jun 5, 2011, 00:19 zirik

Fion wrote on Jun 4, 2011, 22:20:
Megatextures can handle very per pixel texture differences, which is huge. It's much more likely that the valve is low poly and less detailed texture simply because it isn't important to the overall scene so they can cut corners so to speak to reduce the over all load on poly and texture budgets. I think it is also why some of the background textures or less visible/important areas are lower quality.

i agree not every object should have the same amount of detail but the level is about the water supply and the scene focuses on the machine that is used to pump water. maybe the LOD is biased towards character detail instead of the environment. john carmack used to pride in the fact that their games always had a balance between detail on characters versus the detail on the environment.

65 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo