Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Saturday Legal Briefs

View
8 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

8. Re: Saturday Legal Briefs Jun 5, 2011, 16:32 shponglefan

DG wrote on Jun 5, 2011, 09:48:
Meh, this Funnyjunk admin might be behaving very childish but it's in-line with the tone of the site. I can sympathise with this Oatmeal guy, but it's limited - he should have known better and taken a much more diplomatic approach.

Sounds like he was trying to be diplomatic until the FJ admin decided to be a douchebag.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

7. Re: Saturday Legal Briefs Jun 5, 2011, 15:32 Dades

All the author asked for was a credit link which is not at all unreasonable when they are ripping off work and making money doing so. If I was him I'd talk to a lawyer, internet children tend to shut up quickly when served with a registered complaint from a law firm that could cost them thousands.  

6. Re: Saturday Legal Briefs Jun 5, 2011, 15:29 Bhruic

I don't think his problem was with people uploading his comics - although he'd probably rather they didn't. It's the people who are uploading them and also taking credit for them (ie, removing his name). Spreading someone else's work is one thing, trying to act like you created someone else's work is something else.

I'd like to hope that he can stop the latter, but given the level of cooperation he's not getting, I suspect not.

5. Re: Saturday Legal Briefs Jun 5, 2011, 09:48 DG

Meh, this Funnyjunk admin might be behaving very childish but it's in-line with the tone of the site. I can sympathise with this Oatmeal guy, but it's limited - he should have known better and taken a much more diplomatic approach.

Content "theft" on user-upload sites is hardly uncommon either, on Reddit for example it's normal for a cartoon to be uploaded to imgur or whatever. Granted it's less wholesale, but the principle's fundamentally the same.

TBH I think there's a good opening for a syndication service. Basically the end result would be someone could go to upload to Funnyjunk, enter either Oatmeal's url to directly upload from - or just fill out a "source" box - and then a bit of software wizardry automatically divvies up the ad revenue and takes a 10% cut. Larger sites could make individual agreements but all these smaller guys could really only do this with a standard tri-party operating agreement where everything's automated.

This isn't exactly a novel idea. Much of your news probably comes via Reuters, who buy-in a lot of their content and effectively sell it on to most news services, who either use it verbatim or as a start for their own stories.

4. Re: Saturday Legal Briefs Jun 4, 2011, 16:14 killer_roach

The Advocate wrote on Jun 4, 2011, 13:37:
I concur. I wonder if some of the Fark or Anon guys would like to rip Funnyjunk apart.

It's probably a bunch of Anon people running Funnyjunk, if you ask me.

3. Re: Saturday Legal Briefs Jun 4, 2011, 15:31 Silicon Avatar

This happens all too often.

2. Re: Saturday Legal Briefs Jun 4, 2011, 13:37 Burrito of Peace

I concur. I wonder if some of the Fark or Anon guys would like to rip Funnyjunk apart.  

1. Re: Saturday Legal Briefs Jun 4, 2011, 13:12 nin

Wow. Funnyjunk does deserve to be DDOS'd off the internet.

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

8 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo