Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Star Trek Announced

Paramount Digital Entertainment announces Star Trek, a co-op action/adventure from Digital Extremes based on J.J. Abrams' Star Trek reboot movie. The game is due in summer 2012 for Windows, Xbox 360, and PlayStation 3, and the announcement includes this screenshot showing Kirk and Spock, as word is "the game casts players as Kirk and Spock for the first time ever." We'll learn more next week as the game is shown off at E3, and in the meantime here's word:

The game, which continues the adventure that director and producer J.J. Abrams envisioned with Star Trek (2009), boasts a stand alone story filled with action-packed combat as Kirk and Spock must work together to stop a legendary enemy race bent on conquering the galaxy.

“Star Trek challenges the boundaries of co-op gameplay with a galactic adventure that gamers and fans have never experienced,” said Tom Lesinski, President of Paramount Digital Entertainment. “Working closely with the Star Trek filmmaking team throughout development, the game is sure to deliver AAA production values, a wide variety of gameplay and all the action you would expect from the hit franchise. This will be the definitive Star Trek gaming experience.”

View
31 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

31. Re: Star Trek Announced Jun 4, 2011, 08:13 sliv

Geez, I thought the portrayal of Trekkies in Galaxy Quest was a bit harsh. Apparently, they were pretty darn close.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

30. Re: Star Trek Announced Jun 4, 2011, 04:03 Rigs

Want to destroy another ship? Transport a photon torp onto it. Transport landing troops to a planet if you want to invade. Ships (the major plot element in every Star Trek outside of DS9) are practically rendered obsolete, just invest in planetary transporter facilities.

Was the transporter bomb not a big thing in StarFleet Command 1 and 2? That's pretty much why I could really never get into SFC. They relied WAY too much on the board games and obscure shit. I mean, missiles? In Trek?!? Sacrilege! Kamikaze shuttles? Blasphemy! If that was 'canon' Trek, then where the hell was it in the movies? Why sit around taking potshots at Khan when we could just transport over plague-infested Tribbles?! And, while we're on that, how come they never use the tractor beam EVER, in any movie? Did it even exist? And then there's the big question...

Sure there's inconsistencies and crap in Star Trek, but this was over the top, lazy science fiction.

Will someone please tell me why, during the whole of the Dominion War, no one thought to put their shields up?!? One shot takes out an Excelsior-class bridge and most of the saucer in one battle. Two Soyuz-class ships bite it from one beam each. The first one looses it's port warp nacelle, the other it's forward saucer section, sending it tumbling out of control. All the Klingon ships bite it in a few shots. The Dominion fighters don't bounce off the shields, they plow into the damn ship! How many Vor'cha's bought it that way? And B'rel's?

Now, if you look at the first contact with the Dominion and the Jem'Hadar, they seriously damage the Galaxy-class Odyssey, forcing it to try to limp back home. Before it could get very far, it's Kamikaze'd into oblivion by a Jem'Hadar fighter. (and for me, that was THE most jaw dropping moment in Trek...I never would have seen that one coming, and I think that was the point. I was absolutely speechless for a long time after watching that) Supposedly, it's shields were useless to The Jem'Hadar's beam weapons. This is the SAME excuse given when the Breen are introduced. And, if you're following along at home, boys and girls, this is also something the Borg are notorious for as well...

So, huge plug for a plot hole or cunning writing? I don't think I need to give my answer...

=-Rigs-=

'Now, we gave you a promise and we are bound by that promise and damn you for asking for it! And damn me for agreeing to it! And damn all of us to hell, because that is exactly where we're going!'

29. Re: Star Trek Announced Jun 4, 2011, 03:29 Rigs

Uh, how in the hell did Spock get that Covenant Plasma Pistol?

Well, lets just hope they don't fuck it up. I'm getting tired of playing games of movies I like that 'almost' or 'kind of' or 'could have' been great...but weren't. You think it's too much to ask this multi-BILLION dollar industry if they can actually concentrate on the game's gameplay and get it right...just this once? The Star Trek gaming genre is littered with good intentions and bad execution (ahem...STO, I'm looking right at you!). Vulcan Fury could have been, should have been. Starfleet Academy, New Worlds, Klingon Honor Guard, Dominion Wars...all should have been shining examples of how to make a movie game. Nope, instead we get D.A.C.. We get Klingon Academy's dev team fired two weeks after ship. We get Legacy, which could have been Bridge Commander's unofficial sequel if it had been supported... *sigh*

=-Rigs-=

'Now, we gave you a promise and we are bound by that promise and damn you for asking for it! And damn me for agreeing to it! And damn all of us to hell, because that is exactly where we're going!'

28. Re: Star Trek Announced Jun 4, 2011, 00:29 Ant

Hmm, adventure game with action sounds like ST:25th Anniversary, Judgment Rites, etc. to me. I only liked its space action parts.  

Ant @ The Ant Farm: http://antfarm.ma.cx and Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net ...

27. Re: Star Trek Announced Jun 3, 2011, 19:51 Kxmode

I liked the movie. I also liked that the timeline was altered so now what's old is new again, only different. Although it's going to take some time to get used to a universe with only a few thousand Vulcans.  

26. Re: Star Trek Announced Jun 3, 2011, 19:22 Fantaz

Hey ... call me crazy, but I swear I saw some time way back that they were making a Star Trek game along with this screenshot. Anyone? Or is it just me?  

25. Re: Star Trek Announced Jun 3, 2011, 19:09 The Half Elf

kanniballl wrote on Jun 3, 2011, 13:32:
Wildone wrote on Jun 3, 2011, 13:06:
the movie was fun, looked amazing but ultimately so shallow, I can barely watch it again. Nero had no fucking real reason to go on his rampage because what, his wife died? Get over it son..

Well the novelization (or maybe the comic) expanded on it more. Besides the fact that the entire Romulan civ got wiped out... there was other stuff going on.

In the end, the Romulan leadership betrayed their people and he felt betrayed by Spock.

Yes actually Cryptic with CBS fleshed this out in Star Trek Online (one of the nice canon things added). The Romulan government was researching technology that had a 'Praxis' type bad effect and went wrong in a bad way.

"I've never seen a feature like this before. It warms your ass. It's wonderful" -Walter Bishop

24. Re: Star Trek Announced Jun 3, 2011, 19:07 Suddenly_Dead

Bhruic wrote on Jun 3, 2011, 15:36:
"hey, we've got a transporter that can whisk you half a galaxy away onto a moving ship with shields up".

That's the one bit that got me. Totally breaks Trek in every way possible. Want to destroy another ship? Transport a photon torp onto it. Transport landing troops to a planet if you want to invade. Ships (the major plot element in every Star Trek outside of DS9) are practically rendered obsolete, just invest in planetary transporter facilities. Sure there's inconsistencies and crap in Star Trek, but this was over the top, lazy science fiction.

23. Re: Star Trek Announced Jun 3, 2011, 18:45 Beelzebud

Between the Come To Jesus ending for Lost, and destroying Vulcan, JJ Abrams can kiss my ass.  

22. Re: Star Trek Announced Jun 3, 2011, 18:10 Cutter

Personally I think ALL ST movies suck except the original and Khan.

As for the shows it's TNG and TOS, everything else is pretty lame as well.

James Woods: Oh that's fun. That sounds like you had a fun time. Where would I fit in with the fun time, huh? Where does James Woods fit into the fun?

21. Re: Star Trek Announced Jun 3, 2011, 17:58 Yosemite Sam

Pfft, you people are a really cynical bunch. Must suck to be around you because it seems nothing ever lives up to your standards. I thought the latest movie was good, felt like a motion picture unlike all the TNG movies that all felt like 2 hour TV shows. Hell it was better then some of the original movies. I'm definatly happy with the reboot and hope to see a return to battling the klingons. I think making friends with the Klingons was the worst thing the franchise could have ever done.

PSN id PR345, PST - D3, GTA5, Borderlands 2, Grid 2, GTA4, BoS, RDR, GT5, COD WaW, KZ2, RAGE, Dirt2, MC LA, Skate2, LBP, Dead Nation - Wanna jam? Hit me up on PSN, Mention Blues News.

CIV4 MOD http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=326525

20. Re: Star Trek Announced Jun 3, 2011, 17:24 Dades

Sounds weird but interesting. Digital Extremes has some work behind them, I'll grab this.  

19. Re: Star Trek Announced Jun 3, 2011, 16:43 space captain

Wildone wrote on Jun 3, 2011, 16:07:
Unfortunately most of JJ's work is this way, he has an interesting premise or idea but its absolutely empty when you get into it. He has some talent for setting it up well though.

nah - fringe is pretty good overall.. i know what you mean, he does have a serious comfort zone he likes to stay in.. namely: alternate dimensions

Go forth, and kill!

18. Re: Star Trek Announced Jun 3, 2011, 16:07 Wildone

Unfortunately most of JJ's work is this way, he has an interesting premise or idea but its absolutely empty when you get into it. He has some talent for setting it up well though.

I loved the lens flares, added some substance to the light and made it feel more real to me..tons of films in the 70s had this feel too so it was cool.

17. Re: Star Trek Announced Jun 3, 2011, 15:36 Bhruic

The movie fucking sucked.

I wouldn't go that far, it was an ok movie. Just bad Star Trek. I mean, there are lots of things I can ignore because it's a movie. But some of the stupidity was just over the line. I mean, making a cadet a starship captain? And then there's the fact the ages were all wrong - Kirk being a cadet would mean characters like Uhura, Chekov, Sulu should all be in diapers. Not to mention the previously non-existent "hey, we've got a transporter that can whisk you half a galaxy away onto a moving ship with shields up".

But yeah, Karl Urban was good.

16. Re: Star Trek Announced Jun 3, 2011, 15:25 Cutter

The movie fucking sucked. The only saving grace was Karl Urban as Bones. He was epic as Bones.

James Woods: Oh that's fun. That sounds like you had a fun time. Where would I fit in with the fun time, huh? Where does James Woods fit into the fun?

15. Re: Star Trek Announced Jun 3, 2011, 15:24 Ecthelion

gilly775 wrote on Jun 3, 2011, 15:21:
I don't think any Star Trek adventure game could be as good as Star Trek: The Next Generation: A Final Unity.
Ditto. 25th Anniversary and Judgment Rites were good, but AFU was even better in my opinion.

14. Re: Star Trek Announced Jun 3, 2011, 15:21 gilly775

I don't think any Star Trek adventure game could be as good as Star Trek: The Next Generation: A Final Unity.  

13. Re: Star Trek Announced Jun 3, 2011, 14:38 Flatline

WyldKat wrote on Jun 3, 2011, 14:15:
The lens flares were my only complaints with the movie. Seriously it was like a kid that found Photoshop filters for the first time and this is coming from a seasoned director? The other things people complain about... meh... It was a reboot and an alternate timeline. I think they did a good job at making Trek "cool" and there was a certain epicness about the movie that we haven't really seen in a Trek movie for some time.

Scotty... dear god Scotty...

Don't get me wrong. The actor is awesome. But for the love of god, Scotty and Checkov... horrible writing for their characters.

12. Re: Star Trek Announced Jun 3, 2011, 14:24 DangerDog

Digital Extremes just churns out garbage ports now, pump'm and dump'm games with just enough after release support to be able to cash their check.

This will be the definitive Star Trek gaming experience.

Since it's based on the awful J.J. Abrams Star Trek movie, this will be a complete failure.

31 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo