Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

EA's Online Service

EA announces the launch of Origin, a new online marketplace that includes its own desktop client, like an EA-specific Steam. Word is:

By visiting Origin.com today, users can set up an Origin profile, download the Origin beta application, and begin browsing titles available now or pre-order upcoming games. In addition, exclusive game content and trailers for upcoming EA titles will also be available on Origin, including Mass Effect™ 3, FIFA 12, SSX™, Madden NFL 12, Need for Speed™ The Run, Star Wars: The Old Republic, The Sims™ 3 and Battlefield 3.

“Origin is a game service with two fundamental features,” said David DeMartini, senior vice president of Global Online at EA. “It’s a download service for the very best content from EA and its partners. It also offers a social function which, over time, will connect a player’s profile with friends lists and a cross-platform feed that shows what your friends are playing and where.”

View
33 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

33. Re: EA's Online Service Jun 5, 2011, 01:33 Dades

I don't really care where I run things from as long as the functionality is sound. If Origin is the only place to get a title and the client is a piece of shit then I will simply not buy that title. I'm sure Battlefield 3 will be a great game but I don't need any game so much that I'm going to let a publisher dictate which vendor I get it from, that's just stupid behavior that encourages more of the same.  

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

32. Re: EA's Online Service Jun 4, 2011, 01:33 Bhruic

If they really want their Origin thing to take off, they will do the same for BF3. It's a smart move for their business, even if it's not for the consumer.

Yup. And lest people forget, that's exactly what Valve did with HL2 and CS 1.6 (I think was the version).

I didn't like it then, although I've gotten over my grudge with Steam and now actually prefer it, but I won't like it now either. I really don't want any more 2nd hand software that I have to run simply to play the games I purchase.

31. Re: EA's Online Service Jun 4, 2011, 00:15 spindoctor

G-Snake wrote on Jun 3, 2011, 15:18:
I will be horrified if Battlefield 3 is Origin/Retail only.

That is actually entirely plausible. They've already announced that the Old Republic will be exclusive to Origin.

EA takes on Steam with Origin, the only place to download The Old Republic

If they really want their Origin thing to take off, they will do the same for BF3. It's a smart move for their business, even if it's not for the consumer.

Some of the most miserable and unhappy gamers on the planet are at Bluesnews

30. Re: Less BF3 maps for me! Jun 3, 2011, 19:12 Suddenly_Dead

Nate wrote on Jun 3, 2011, 19:04:
The extra BF3 maps for pre-orders stinks! Splits the community. Of course you can only pre-order it from EA, which I'm not going to do.

Yay! Less BF3 maps for me!

Limited Edition is probably going to be the only BF3 on the shelf for the first few months (judging from BC2's "Limited Edition"), and the content will be purchasable if you don't get the LE.

29. Less BF3 maps for me! Jun 3, 2011, 19:04 Nate

The extra BF3 maps for pre-orders stinks! Splits the community. Of course you can only pre-order it from EA, which I'm not going to do.

Yay! Less BF3 maps for me!

28. Re: EA's Online Service Jun 3, 2011, 18:51 silvaril

Heya

Danged "Service" won't let you browse all games in a single listing, and the website won't let you make a comment to that effect to try and get it fixed.

Frack'em

27. Re: EA's Online Service Jun 3, 2011, 18:35 Creston

Caladell wrote on Jun 3, 2011, 16:02:
Origin is just a renamed version of the EA Download Manger. The only good I found to come of EADM was linking my retail copy of ME2 to my EA account. Doing that, I don't have to have the disk in anymore. And yes, I know there are nocd's out there, but those have always been kinda funky for the ME games.

The EADM has been fine for me, actually. Every time I reinstall ME1, it realizes I have ME1 installed, that I'm entitled to a piece of DLC which is currently not installed, and it proceeds to re-download that DLC and install it, without me even prompting. So in that aspect it's been fine.

I doubt that that's all Origin is going to be, though...

Creston

26. Re: EA's Online Service Jun 3, 2011, 18:24 Kajetan

Caladell wrote on Jun 3, 2011, 16:02:
And yes, I know there are nocd's out there, but those have always been kinda funky for the ME games.
Then you would like to hear, that the funkiness was only around early releases of ME1, when the warez groups learned their way around Securom Online.

25. Re: EA's Online Service Jun 3, 2011, 18:11 RaZ0r!

If it's not on Steam, I don't buy it. Good luck EA.  

24. Re: EA's Online Service Jun 3, 2011, 17:38 DrEvil

Techie714 © wrote on Jun 3, 2011, 16:45:
BTW: Looks like GOG is now offering EA titles!

www.gog.com
[url=http://www.gog.com/en/news/gog_com_s_catalog_gets_huge_with_addition_of_classic_ea_titles[/url]

Yes, without the DRM, which makes them infinitely better than any version you could get from EA today.

23. Re: EA's Online Service Jun 3, 2011, 17:07 Dev

G-Snake wrote on Jun 3, 2011, 15:18:
I will be horrified if Battlefield 3 is Origin/Retail only. I'll probably get the physical retail copy, but I'd like to activate/link it with Steam. EADLM or whatever it is has been a major pain in the past.
I bet thats why they are introducing it now. To get all the kinks out before BF3 hits. In the blurb at top they are already talking about exclusive content for games like BF3 if you get them on origin.
They are tired of steam taking their 40% or whatever cut, they think they can do better. But valve actually offers a lot for that cut for most companies.

22. Re: EA's Online Service Jun 3, 2011, 16:45 Techie714 ©

BTW: Looks like GOG is now offering EA titles!

www.gog.com
[url=http://www.gog.com/en/news/gog_com_s_catalog_gets_huge_with_addition_of_classic_ea_titles[/url]

Steam (ID)
http://steamcommunity.com/id/techie714/
DEAD SH0T
Keep your privacy!
http://prism-break.org/

21. Re: EA's Online Service Jun 3, 2011, 16:02 Caladell

Origin is just a renamed version of the EA Download Manger. The only good I found to come of EADM was linking my retail copy of ME2 to my EA account. Doing that, I don't have to have the disk in anymore. And yes, I know there are nocd's out there, but those have always been kinda funky for the ME games.

20. Re: EA's Online Service Jun 3, 2011, 15:44 Overon

The only reason I see anyone downloading the Origin client is if it's the only way to get certain games. Or if they drop the price of a game on their service compared to everyone else. But both things are highly doubtful. I bet they only have differences in preorder DLC.  

19. Re: EA's Online Service Jun 3, 2011, 15:40 KilrathiAce

You would think if they gonna call their service origin at least have decency to have old classics of wing commander series on there retweaked to work on current pcs...  

"On 2646.215 I myself attacked & destroyed TCS Tiger's Claw in my Jalthi heavy fighter"
Bakhtosh Redclaw Nar Kiranka

18. Re: EA's Online Service Jun 3, 2011, 15:18 G-Snake

I will be horrified if Battlefield 3 is Origin/Retail only. I'll probably get the physical retail copy, but I'd like to activate/link it with Steam. EADLM or whatever it is has been a major pain in the past.  

17. Re: EA's Online Service Jun 3, 2011, 14:19 WyldKat

....Origin? Really EA?

*facepalm*

Should have resurrected Origin as the development arm of EA that actually makes good and original games but there's a fat chance in hell of that ever happening. Of course the Duke Nukem Forever demo IS out sooo.....

Also... why the hell does EA think we need another Steam? I prefer to get all of my digital downloads through one service. I really like the neatness and organization of Steam, I like having all my friends there too.

16. Re: EA's Online Service Jun 3, 2011, 13:46 Creston

Ruffiana wrote on Jun 3, 2011, 13:15:
Next up, EA's own version of Facebook, which will automatically 'like' all EA products

It will like EA's products for you. Saves you the hassle of having to click the button.

Creston

15. Re: EA's Online Service Jun 3, 2011, 13:15 Ruffiana

Next up, EA's own version of Facebook, which will automatically 'like' all EA products  

14. Re: EA's Online Service Jun 3, 2011, 12:55 Creston

peteham wrote on Jun 3, 2011, 12:39:
Creston wrote on Jun 3, 2011, 11:09:
Great. Another download client. Yay.

As long as ME3 will be available on Steam, I don't care. That's very likely the last EA game I'll buy anyways.

Creston
I'm going to bet pounds to pennies that, even with the Steam version, Origin registration of some sort will be a requirement for every EA game moving forward.. Much like we were saddled with Bioware's horrible social net for Mass Effect and Dragon Age.

Just what I need. More useless accounts everywhere, and more passwords to keep track of

That's possible, although if they did that for ME3, it would fracture their support and community, since ME and ME2 are both on the social.bioware.com network. So they may not want to do it for ME3. I hope so, anyways, because I'm sure as fuck not signing up for more EA horseshit. (that will undoubtedly go down and prevent you from playing your SP game, because the devs think "Oh, people can figure out this problem on the non-monitored support forum." )

Creston

33 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo