Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Duke Nukem Forever Demo

Several readers who are members of the "first access club" have let us know that the demo for Duke Nukem Forever is now available on Steam for those who have preordered Gearbox's first-person shooter sequel or who own the Borderlands Game of the Year Edition. Apparently the Xbox LIVE version of the demo is also now available.

View
110 Replies. 6 pages. Viewing page 5.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 ] Older >

30. Re: Duke Nukem Forever Demo Jun 3, 2011, 13:50 Stolk

Agent.X7 wrote on Jun 3, 2011, 13:03:
I would maybe pay $5. Maybe. But, I'm not disappointed. In fact, I feel vindicated. I've been saying all along that it's been in development so long that there is no way it can ever live up to its own legacy.

It doesn't take rocket surgery to figure that one out, but go ahead, pat yourself on the back.

It was fun. Definitely simplistic and feels like an old game, but fun. I don't require all the games I play to feel modern or require 32 cameras to generate facial animation.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

29. Re: Duke Nukem Forever Demo Jun 3, 2011, 13:49 xXBatmanXx

They would have been smarter to NOT release a DEMO. I truly believe this will hurt sales.  

Buy from GreenManGaming? Use this, we both get $2.00 - http://www.greenmangaming.com/?gmgr=purutuwi

28. Re: Duke Nukem Forever Demo Jun 3, 2011, 13:41 Krovven

WyldKat wrote on Jun 3, 2011, 13:24:
what I didn't care for was the above as well as this weird sensation that movement and everything felt really...clumsy?

Indeed it was, but i got it playing better by turning Mouse Filter down to 1, then adjust your mouse sensitivity as preferred.

27. Re: Duke Nukem Forever Demo Jun 3, 2011, 13:37 Krovven

DNForever wrote on Jun 3, 2011, 13:09:
Apparently if you bought on Steam you don't get the demo??

Open Steam, goto Library. Click Borderlands, far right side of screen there is a list of text links. Click on CD Key. Copy CD key, goto http://www.dukenukemforever.com/access and fill out the form.

26. Re: Duke Nukem Forever Demo Jun 3, 2011, 13:24 WyldKat

Woke up and couldn't believe the news. Downloaded the Steam demo and my reaction could best be summed up by... "It's alrigh'" in Karl Pilkington's voice.

The regenerating health and only being able to hold a couple of weapons at a time kind of killed it for me. The graphics were fine really, what I didn't care for was the above as well as this weird sensation that movement and everything felt really...clumsy? Also when stamping on shrunken pig cops it wasn't fluid at all. Humor was also pretty sparse. I was expecting more wise-cracking and more of the same that made Duke3D so entertaining. I could have passed on the chunky feeling of the controls if Duke had a personality, but it's just really not there in this game.

Also fail for them releasing a demo without a multiplayer component.

25. Re: Duke Nukem Forever Demo Jun 3, 2011, 13:14 Matshock

Plays like a game from circa 2003, which isn't surprising.

Goods:

Auto-aim OFF
Actually mildly challenging on hard
Variety
Scripted sequences are short and sweet

Bads:

It's a game from 2003 that was never released with a bunch of fan mods.

@ $20.00 I'd give it an A.

This comment was edited on Jun 3, 2011, 13:31.

24. Re: Duke Nukem Forever Demo Jun 3, 2011, 13:09 DNForever

Apparently if you bought on Steam you don't get the demo?? Well I waited this long, what's another week or so. My already low expectations are even lower after the comments about the demo.  

23. Re: Duke Nukem Forever Demo Jun 3, 2011, 13:03 Agent.X7

If I was Gearbox, I would take my name off this, pronto. I played it last night. Laughed. There was some funny parts, but even more funny is the graphical mish-mash that the game is made of. Water looks decent, but things like buttons on the hand dryers in the beginning are completely not rounded off, so they look like buttons designed back in 1998. (They probably were.) Some things look great, some textures are obviously 10+ years old. The game supports mouse button 4 and 5 right out of the box, which is more that a lot of modern games can say, but the controls are stiff and you feel like you are playing the original DN3D.

I would maybe pay $5. Maybe. But, I'm not disappointed. In fact, I feel vindicated. I've been saying all along that it's been in development so long that there is no way it can ever live up to its own legacy.

Origin - JStarX7
STEAM - Agent.X7
PSN - JStar_X7
Xbox Live - Agent X7

22. Re: Duke Nukem Forever Demo Jun 3, 2011, 12:48 Nameless Again

Pretty goddamn sad that after 12+ years, the game it is based on is still more fun than the sequel. Nice try douchebags; glad you suckered everyone in with the ol' pre-order switcheroo. Ya didn't get me! (finger)  

21. Re: Duke Nukem Forever Demo Jun 3, 2011, 12:47 Dirwulf

Download complete. Ready to try. It downloaded really fast. Must not be many people downloading right now.

20. Re: Duke Nukem Forever Demo Jun 3, 2011, 12:38 SpectralMeat

gilly775 wrote on Jun 3, 2011, 11:22:
Frijoles wrote on Jun 3, 2011, 11:18:
If you own Borderlands, it shows up under the DLC. I'm guessing it gets installed automatically. Will have to try it tonight since I'd rather not re-download 10 gigs of data at work.

No, you need to get the CD Key on the right side of the page for the First Access Club, go to the FAC page on the DN website, enter it, and then you'll get your key. You then need to activate it on Steam and you'll see the game in your library.

Thanks for the explanation man, I was a little confused also why I did not see the demo in the library. It is downloading now.

Steam: SpectralMeat

19. Re: Duke Nukem Forever Demo Jun 3, 2011, 12:31 Beamer

I don't see where the humor feels any more forced than the original.

It's 2011.

The humor looked forced in every trailer.
When the rumor hit a few years back that real time would have passed between DNF and DN3D and he'd now be what, 50 years old? Struggling with a body that had fallen apart due to years of boozing, roids and promiscuity? He'd be a shell of a man that's called back to battle.

THAT would be interesting in today's world.
Duke himself is not. He's The Last Action Hero, and that movie blew.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

18. Re: Duke Nukem Forever Demo Jun 3, 2011, 12:29 Verno

Nah that's not it at all, my Duke nostalgia is quite realistic. He's more of a caricature of himself than anything else in this game, that's how it came off to me anyway. It feels like they thought they had to meet some imaginary quota for his behavior and try one up things.  

Playing: Dragon Age Inquisition, Far Cry 4, This War of Mine
Watching: The Walking Dead, The Fall, As Above So Below

17. Re: Duke Nukem Forever Demo Jun 3, 2011, 12:26 fujiJuice

I can't find it on xbox live, do you need Borderlands GOTY to get it on xbox?  

16. Re: Duke Nukem Forever Demo Jun 3, 2011, 12:23 DrEvil

Drezden wrote on Jun 3, 2011, 12:21:
Guess this game is really just for the hardcore Duke3D fans. I love it, I don't see where the humor feels any more forced than the original.

If you don't truely like Duke, don't bother, thats all I can say really.

I haven't played the demo yet, but I think some people have "rose-coloured" glasses when it comes to Duke3D. If you play back through it today, I think most people would feel like the humour often felt "forced".

As such, I think it's a bit gonzo to complain about it from that aspect.

15. Re: Duke Nukem Forever Demo Jun 3, 2011, 12:21 Trevellian

Guess this game is really just for the hardcore Duke3D fans. I love it, I don't see where the humor feels any more forced than the original.

If you don't truely like Duke, don't bother, thats all I can say really.

For the Republic
-C22 Waterson of Planetside 2/Tahyang in ArcheAge

14. Re: Duke Nukem Forever Demo Jun 3, 2011, 12:06 Verno

I'm playing it right now and to be blunt this game is just not very fun. Graphically it's unappealing, it feels like they strung everything together loosely, the humor feels really forced and I am not liking the gunplay so far. I'll give it some more time but not really feeling the Duke here.  

Playing: Dragon Age Inquisition, Far Cry 4, This War of Mine
Watching: The Walking Dead, The Fall, As Above So Below

13. Re: Duke Nukem Forever Demo Jun 3, 2011, 12:04 spindoctor

Jackplug wrote on Jun 3, 2011, 11:53:
I hoped that it was available to all, but it is only if you own an xbox or Borderlands. All I will say then is fuckem..

It will be available to everyone in a couple of days I guess. Probably next week. Don't worry, you're not missing out on much. I had very low expectations from the game/demo and it failed to live up to even those

Some of the most miserable and unhappy gamers on the planet are at Bluesnews

12. Re: Duke Nukem Forever Demo Jun 3, 2011, 11:58 Krovven

Bumpy wrote on Jun 3, 2011, 11:48:
Seems the hardened Duke fanboys like the game, everyone else not.

Not sure I'd call myself a "hardened Duke fanboy", but I've always wanted to play the game, rarely talked trash about the amount of time it's taken, and really had high hope that they pulled it off...but the demo, particularly the area after the stadium is pretty bad.

11. Re: Duke Nukem Forever Demo Jun 3, 2011, 11:53 Jackplug

I hoped that it was available to all, but it is only if you own an xbox or Borderlands. All I will say then is fuckem..  

110 Replies. 6 pages. Viewing page 5.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo