Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Duke Nukem Forever Demo

Several readers who are members of the "first access club" have let us know that the demo for Duke Nukem Forever is now available on Steam for those who have preordered Gearbox's first-person shooter sequel or who own the Borderlands Game of the Year Edition. Apparently the Xbox LIVE version of the demo is also now available.

View
110 Replies. 6 pages. Viewing page 4.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 ] Older >

50. Re: Duke Nukem Forever Demo Jun 3, 2011, 16:39 Dirwulf

Shineyguy wrote on Jun 3, 2011, 15:21:
Dirwulf wrote on Jun 3, 2011, 14:05:
Its just as good an any other shooter out there, but its nothing special. The driving is a little wonky without using a controller. I'm not sure who stole from whom, but there was a few lines from the Evil Dead series in there. "Good, Bad, I'm the guy with the gun." "Hail to the King, baby."

Have you even played Duke Nukem 3D? How old are you?

Duke's lines are blatantly ripped from Ash from Evil Dead.. That's one of the reasons it was so funny.

47. Never played any Duke. He never appealed to me on any level.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

49. Re: Duke Nukem Forever Demo Jun 3, 2011, 16:29 yuastnav

Demo is pretty mediocre and disappointing, generally what I actually expected.
As someone said before: I think I'd spend 5 bucks on it. Maybe 10 but then again I have tons more fun playing Just Cause 2. It also has regenerating life and only one weapon more.
Being able to carry only two weapons is ridiculous. Graphics are disappointing but okay, water looks nice. Physics and how objects are destroyed is really, really bad.

48. Re: Duke Nukem Forever Demo Jun 3, 2011, 16:18 Jerykk

Indeed it was, but i got it playing better by turning Mouse Filter down to 1, then adjust your mouse sensitivity as preferred.

Yeah, it took me a sec to figure out that "Mouse Precision" was actually "Mouse Smoothing". Don't know why they mislabeled it. Smoothing and precision are polar opposites.

47. Re: Duke Nukem Forever Demo Jun 3, 2011, 15:59 DrEvil

Overon wrote on Jun 3, 2011, 15:55:
I'm surprised that no one has brought this up in this thread yet:

Is this another Daikatana?

I don't think there can ever be another Daikatana. *looks at original box on shelf*. Yes, definitely not. And as bad as Daikatana was, there were worse games *looks at you, Darkened Skye*.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Darkened_Skye

She does not use firearms, but can perform magic using Skittles candies, as well as use her staff as a melee weapon, though it also becomes an energy weapon when used in conjunction with the Skittles.

46. Re: Duke Nukem Forever Demo Jun 3, 2011, 15:55 Overon

I'm surprised that no one has brought this up in this thread yet:

Is this another Daikatana?

45. Re: Duke Nukem Forever Demo Jun 3, 2011, 15:34 Wallshadows

Given the time it took to get from DN3D to DNF, I think it's safe to say that there will likely be some out there who were not born when 3D came out and that, in itself, is absolutely hilarious for development standards.

I would have been more upset if he referenced the Evil Dead quotes to something not related to the Evil Dead in the same way people reference Hurt as a Johny Cash original. Kudos on the proper reference.

It says on your chart that you're fucked up. Ah, you talk like a fag, and your shit's all retarded.

44. Re: Duke Nukem Forever Demo Jun 3, 2011, 15:25 SirKnight

I'm not sure who stole from whom, but there was a few lines from the Evil Dead series in there. "Good, Bad, I'm the guy with the gun." "Hail to the King, baby."

Welcome to 1996...

43. Re: Duke Nukem Forever Demo Jun 3, 2011, 15:21 Shineyguy

Its just as good an any other shooter out there, but its nothing special. The driving is a little wonky without using a controller. I'm not sure who stole from whom, but there was a few lines from the Evil Dead series in there. "Good, Bad, I'm the guy with the gun." "Hail to the King, baby."

Duke's lines are blatantly ripped from Ash from Evil Dead.. That's one of the reasons it was so funny.

42. Re: Duke Nukem Forever Demo Jun 3, 2011, 15:10 Dades

I thought it was pretty fun but very short. A great old school experience for a shooter, pleasantly surprised.  

41. Re: Duke Nukem Forever Demo Jun 3, 2011, 15:08 Krovven

DukeFNukem wrote on Jun 3, 2011, 15:01:
The fan boys attacked me.

Drama King? ONE person said something about your post in that thread.

40. Re: Duke Nukem Forever Demo Jun 3, 2011, 15:01 DukeFNukem

Quote: "
Pretty goddamn sad that after 12+ years, the game it is based on is still more fun than the sequel. Nice try douchebags; glad you suckered everyone in with the ol' pre-order switcheroo. Ya didn't get me! (finger)
"

LOL. If Blues News gave awards for the funniest post this would get my vote.

When I seen the final trailer for the game I thought the trailed sucked. Nothing but rapidly changing scenes sporadically injected with strong sexual content. The fan boys attacked me. But, It seems to follow then that the game will suck which is what I am hearing from this forum thread so far.

I will try the demo, in spite of the pathetic trailer and negative reviews because of my love for the first Duke Nukem 3D. Im not sure thats rational behavior but since demos are free, what the hell.

Just because you aren't afraid of something doesn't it mean it can't kill you...

39. Re: Duke Nukem Forever Demo Jun 3, 2011, 14:56 Dash

Well... Played the demo... What is there to say?
Sure.. It's nice to finally play something that has won the Vaporware award a number of times.. It's nice to see Duke 'back in action', if it could be called that. The graphics are nice.. but I had to have alot of things turned down or off, due to having an onboard vid card that wasn't up to snuff.
The two weapon thing? Seems a bit low. I'd say 4 weapons [Yes I've always thought carrying a whole freaking arsenal, even though he's a steroid freak, was kind of silly.] The lack of a kick? Not happy about that. The controls felt kind of off, but I think that was just the graphic lag due to my settings.
The demo had the same cheesy humor that the original game had. That will be hit and miss for most people.
The shortness of the demo, and how the levels felt constructed has me a little worried. I remember in DN3d, that first level.. While it wasn't huge.. There was so much to do IN it. You could breeze through it in minutes, or pound around for a good 30+ minutes just trashin stuff. This demo.. did not have the same sensation.
I'm hesitant at getting this now. Worried about how long the actual game will be, how large the content of each level will have, and how much replay it will have. Maybe a Day-0 demo release would have been smarter.
I will get it.. Just not sure if sooner over later. [Although, if Gearbox is smart, they'll be working on a LARGE patch for the PC version, to DX11 the whole game. And a shit-ton of extra 'episodes' down the road.]
I still think the demo should have been a recreation of the original DN3d level 1, coupled with the stadium...

38. Re: Duke Nukem Forever Demo Jun 3, 2011, 14:41 jimnms

Stolk wrote on Jun 3, 2011, 14:29:
Did anyone else laugh at the Half Life joke?
I got a chuckle out of that, but it also made me think that I couldn't go in there, so I ran around for a few minutes looking for a damn gas can before I came back and melee whacked the boards.

That's another thing missing from the old Duke, where's my ability to kick shit?

Steam Profile

37. Re: Duke Nukem Forever Demo Jun 3, 2011, 14:35 jimnms

I got the demo key for buying Borderlands GotY, but I also pre-ordered DN4. I got the email from the first access club telling me it was available just before midnight. I actually just finished playing DN3D using EDuke32 with the Hi-res pack yesterday, so that's still fresh in my mind.

The only humor in DN3D were the cheesy comments he'd say when starting a level/boss fight, killing an enemy or looking at certain objects. I didn't see as much of that in the demo, but it was so short there's no way to get any feel for what the full game is going to be like.

I definitely don't like the health regen (ego). I actually don't mind that you can only carry two weapons, I know Duke is a bad ass, but even back in Doom and Duke's day I thought it was stupid that you could carry dozens of weapons and ammo for each. I'm not sure what the Duke vision is for, all it did was turn my screen white. I guess it's some sort of night vision, but even in the dark cave parts it didn't help. Honestly though, it felt like they took another game and tacked on Duke stuff.

Is this a Steamworks game or is the demo just being pushed through Steam? I pre-ordered from Amazon, but I might cancel my pre-order and wait until a Steam sale, but like I said, the demo is way to short to get a feel for the actual game.

Steam Profile

36. Re: Duke Nukem Forever Demo Jun 3, 2011, 14:29 Stolk

Did anyone else laugh at the Half Life joke? No? Come on! That joke was SO OLD it was funny. I look forward to playing this and sensing the vast number of years it was in development by the change in graphic quality or dated references between sections of the game.

Agent.X7 wrote on Jun 3, 2011, 14:06:
Well, I hope busting my balls made your pitiful little existence just a tiny bit brighter. Now get out of my sight, cockroach.

Lighten' up Francis. I'm a cockroach! and so on and so forth.

35. Re: Duke Nukem Forever Demo Jun 3, 2011, 14:20 Overon

Agent.X7 wrote on Jun 3, 2011, 14:06:
Stolk wrote on Jun 3, 2011, 13:50:
Agent.X7 wrote on Jun 3, 2011, 13:03:
I would maybe pay $5. Maybe. But, I'm not disappointed. In fact, I feel vindicated. I've been saying all along that it's been in development so long that there is no way it can ever live up to its own legacy.

It doesn't take rocket surgery to figure that one out, but go ahead, pat yourself on the back.

It was fun. Definitely simplistic and feels like an old game, but fun. I don't require all the games I play to feel modern or require 32 cameras to generate facial animation.

Well, I hope busting my balls made your pitiful little existence just a tiny bit brighter. Now get out of my sight, cockroach.
Don't malign the cockroach bub. They are amazing creatures. Read about them and you will agree.

34. Re: Duke Nukem Forever Demo Jun 3, 2011, 14:17 Wildone

why do people keep saying 'and so on and so forth' in normal conversation, print, online it keeps popping up alot recently?!  

33. Re: Duke Nukem Forever Demo Jun 3, 2011, 14:13 dardin

I would maybe pay $5. Maybe. But, I'm not disappointed. In fact, I feel vindicated. I've been saying all along that it's been in development so long that there is no way it can ever live up to its own legacy.

It doesn't take rocket surgery to figure that one out, but go ahead, pat yourself on the back.

It was fun. Definitely simplistic and feels like an old game, but fun. I don't require all the games I play to feel modern or require 32 cameras to generate facial animation.

Even if you compare it to old FPS games this demo still stinks. Think back to some FPS games from the early 2000's and compare it to them since this game appears to be from that time period. Call of Duty, Max Payne, Medal of Honor, Quake 3, Unreal Tournament and so on and so forth...

This comment was edited on Jun 3, 2011, 14:18.

32. Re: Duke Nukem Forever Demo Jun 3, 2011, 14:06 Agent.X7

Origin - JStarX7
STEAM - Agent.X7
PSN - JStar_X7
Xbox Live - Agent X7

31. Re: Duke Nukem Forever Demo Jun 3, 2011, 14:05 Dirwulf

110 Replies. 6 pages. Viewing page 4.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo