Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Duke Nukem Forever Demo

Several readers who are members of the "first access club" have let us know that the demo for Duke Nukem Forever is now available on Steam for those who have preordered Gearbox's first-person shooter sequel or who own the Borderlands Game of the Year Edition. Apparently the Xbox LIVE version of the demo is also now available.

View
110 Replies. 6 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 ] Older >

70. Re: Duke Nukem Forever Demo Jun 3, 2011, 18:31 nin

Got home, tried the demo.

Feels like a fan mod. A nice fan mod, but a mod nevertheless. It's pretty amazing that it took 14 years, and this is what we get.

"Always bet on Duke" my ass. See ya at the $5 steam sale!

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

69. Re: Duke Nukem Forever Demo Jun 3, 2011, 18:27 siapnar

Krovven wrote on Jun 3, 2011, 17:41:
I can't believe this thread hasn't hit 100 posts yet.

Duke Forever finally see's the light of day, a shitty demo to show it off and it's like half the Blues population is on vacation.

lol'ers

Haven't tried the demo. Don't think I will.

I have projectile dysfunction.

68. Re: Duke Nukem Forever Demo Jun 3, 2011, 18:24 Dev

jimnms wrote on Jun 3, 2011, 14:41:
That's another thing missing from the old Duke, where's my ability to kick shit?
They announced long ago that along with 2 weapon limit, there was no kicking.

67. Re: Duke Nukem Forever Demo Jun 3, 2011, 18:21 yuastnav

Drezden wrote on Jun 3, 2011, 18:07:
[...] If you expected Half Life 2 quality you're absolutely retarded. I'm enjoying the demo/game for what it is. A long lost icon saved from extinction. I didn't expect DX11 graphics or Shaders or any of that ridiculousness some of you seem to have think they planned on putting in.

I wasn't expecting Half Life 2.
What was important to me is that the game has to be fun. It failed at that. It's probably a decent low-budget shooter but that's it. There are games far more enjoyable with much more content, even if it's repetition. I put over 20 hours in Just Cause 2 and I enjoyed all of them. But it starts to get a little irritating, though.
The Duke Nukem Forever demo started to get irritating after the Stadium level which was approximately five to ten minutes long.
No deal.

66. Re: Duke Nukem Forever Demo Jun 3, 2011, 18:18 Dev

If you own ANY version of borderlands check your cd keys. Its NOT necessary to own the GotY to get it.
I think at one point they converted all borderlands copies to GotY.

They give you a first access cd key that you sign up with which gets you another CD key you put into steam to get the demo.

65. Re: Duke Nukem Forever Demo Jun 3, 2011, 18:17 Bumpy

I certainly did not expect this game to suffer from so much consolitus.  

64. Re: Duke Nukem Forever Demo Jun 3, 2011, 18:08 StaTik

HEH, I knew this was going to be Dikatana2. Sorry for your sore balls of steel fellas.  

63. Re: Duke Nukem Forever Demo Jun 3, 2011, 18:07 Trevellian

Stolk wrote on Jun 3, 2011, 17:56:

Duke Forever finally see's the light of day, a shitty demo to show it off and it's like half the Blues population is on vacation.

I'll help.

I'm getting a kick out of the irrational expectations here considering we saw this 'exact' same demo running months ago on multiple videos across the internet.

Not to mention people going down a checklist of different qualities of the demo. DNF is a 12 year old gem not to enjoy the qualities of a modern game, but to enjoy the qualities of a game that should have come out around the same time of the y2k bug.

I pretty much agree with this post. I think it's asinine what half the people on here expected from the game. It's a relic that Gearbox decided to save and finally push out the door. If you expected Half Life 2 quality you're absolutely retarded. I'm enjoying the demo/game for what it is. A long lost icon saved from extinction. I didn't expect DX11 graphics or Shaders or any of that ridiculousness some of you seem to have think they planned on putting in.

For the Republic
-C22 Waterson of Planetside 2

62. Re: Duke Nukem Forever Demo Jun 3, 2011, 18:07 Krovven

Stolk wrote on Jun 3, 2011, 17:56:
considering we saw this 'exact' same demo running months ago on multiple videos across the internet.

No, we saw the stadium level, which actually looks pretty decent and is fun. We did not see the "desert weapons demo" level in the demo, that they would have been far better off leaving out of the demo and out of the game entirely.

Basically if it had just been the stadium, I'd be interested, but still not sold on it. After playing the 2nd half of the demo, I'm not even interested.

61. Re: Duke Nukem Forever Demo Jun 3, 2011, 17:59 Halo

FreonTrip wrote on Jun 3, 2011, 17:23:
Icewind wrote on Jun 3, 2011, 16:53:
I cancelled my pre-order. God this game is horrid.

First of all, what's up with the old and busted textures? Even on ultra these textures look so hideous.

Picture here

The small levels, the flashing orange aura over "interactive" items, the auto aim, the two weapon limit...WTF is this, Halo with a Duke Nukem skin applied?

I just saved myself 50 bucks and can instead go back to DOSbox and play Duke 3D again.

Thanks to gearbox for letting me know how bad it is so I don't have to waste money. This game is a disgrace.

Just so you know, eDuke32 will even keep you from having to run DOSBox. Just put it in your DN3D directory and prepare for OpenGL-accelerated vintage fun.

As for DNF... I'm still going to give it an honest chance.

Is there such a thing as a eWang or eBlood. I miss both those build gems.

60. Re: Duke Nukem Forever Demo Jun 3, 2011, 17:56 Stolk

I'll help.

I'm getting a kick out of the irrational expectations here considering we saw this 'exact' same demo running months ago on multiple videos across the internet.

Not to mention people going down a checklist of different qualities of the demo. DNF is a 12 year old gem not to enjoy the qualities of a modern game, but to enjoy the qualities of a game that should have come out around the same time of the y2k bug.

59. nope.... Jun 3, 2011, 17:55 Shataan

"Is this another Daikatana?"

but it is prolly a "Duketana".

58. Re: Duke Nukem Forever Demo Jun 3, 2011, 17:54 DNForever

Thanks for the help, but I only preordered DNF on Steam and don't have Borderlands. Is Borderlands any good? Maybe I'll get it regardless.

Krovven wrote on Jun 3, 2011, 13:37:
DNForever wrote on Jun 3, 2011, 13:09:
Apparently if you bought on Steam you don't get the demo??

Open Steam, goto Library. Click Borderlands, far right side of screen there is a list of text links. Click on CD Key. Copy CD key, goto http://www.dukenukemforever.com/access and fill out the form.

57. Re: Duke Nukem Forever Demo Jun 3, 2011, 17:41 Krovven

56. Re: Duke Nukem Forever Demo Jun 3, 2011, 17:40 Wookiestick

Man....
I really wanted this to be awesome.
Instead it was, at best, mediocre with a couple of style over substance moments.
Level of interaction was above average, but nothing to write home about.
The graphics are slighly dated, but I can forgive it. I knew before this came out it wasn't going to be cutting edge.
The pigs cops were fast moving but kind of bland. Duke one liners kind of made up for it.
The cave vermin were just small, annoying, and uninspiring. I hate to draw comparisons but it was kind of like robot frogs from Daikatana. Luckily they were only a small part of a small demo.
Weapons are ok. Monster squishing with shrink ray was just missing something solid about it. Lack of crunch and lack of gratification. Shotgun, sniper rifle, ripper machine gun are pretty much pulled from Duke3d-- totally late 90s FPS feel.
Design is oddly early 2000s shooter style with a few modern implements such as the Halo/CoD style ego health. I know some people are hating on this but honestly I don't wanna waste gameplay time hunting down health packs. 2 weapons at a time seemed kinda silly given the game's retro design but I can dig it.
At the end of the demo I really felt a pang of "that's it?". There were moments early on in the demo where I felt some nostaglia but the second half my interest totally dipped.
I am hoping the full game offers a broader design from the small fork sized bite I just ate. Maybe these were just the peas, and the meat is to come. I hope.

Love thy wookie.

55. Re: Duke Nukem Forever Demo Jun 3, 2011, 17:33 J

It doesn't sound very polished... perhaps if they'd have had a longer development cycle?  

54. Re: Duke Nukem Forever Demo Jun 3, 2011, 17:23 FreonTrip

Icewind wrote on Jun 3, 2011, 16:53:

First of all, what's up with the old and busted textures? Even on ultra these textures look so hideous.

Picture here

The small levels, the flashing orange aura over "interactive" items, the auto aim, the two weapon limit...WTF is this, Halo with a Duke Nukem skin applied?

I just saved myself 50 bucks and can instead go back to DOSbox and play Duke 3D again.

Thanks to gearbox for letting me know how bad it is so I don't have to waste money. This game is a disgrace.

Just so you know, eDuke32 will even keep you from having to run DOSBox. Just put it in your DN3D directory and prepare for OpenGL-accelerated vintage fun.

As for DNF... I'm still going to give it an honest chance.

53. Re: Duke Nukem Forever Demo Jun 3, 2011, 17:01 Dades

Icewind wrote on Jun 3, 2011, 16:55:
Do you even know what old school is, son?

I've been playing PC games since 1983 if you count a C64. 1988 if you don't.

This game is VERY "new school".

No one likes you.

52. Re: Duke Nukem Forever Demo Jun 3, 2011, 16:55 Icewind

Dades wrote on Jun 3, 2011, 15:10:
I thought it was pretty fun but very short. A great old school experience for a shooter, pleasantly surprised.

Do you even know what old school is, son?

I've been playing PC games since 1983 if you count a C64. 1988 if you don't.

This game is VERY "new school".

51. Re: Duke Nukem Forever Demo Jun 3, 2011, 16:53 Icewind

Picture here

110 Replies. 6 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo