Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

Duke Nukem Forever Demo

Several readers who are members of the "first access club" have let us know that the demo for Duke Nukem Forever is now available on Steam for those who have preordered Gearbox's first-person shooter sequel or who own the Borderlands Game of the Year Edition. Apparently the Xbox LIVE version of the demo is also now available.

View
110 Replies. 6 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 ] Older >

90. Re: Duke Nukem Forever Demo Jun 3, 2011, 22:50 PropheT

Pete wrote on Jun 3, 2011, 22:43:
So what you guys are saying is wait for it go go on sale for 20 bucks or so?

I have to admit I wasn't expecting much when I downloaded it, but if someone offered me $20 to play it when it came out I'd say no. I sure as hell wouldn't pay money for it.

I thought it was really terrible. The graphics, controls, and sound aren't good and it's not funny. If there are any redeeming qualities to the game I sure didn't see them.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

89. Re: Duke Nukem Forever Demo Jun 3, 2011, 22:43 Pete

So what you guys are saying is wait for it go go on sale for 20 bucks or so?  
Doin' it Big

88. Re: Duke Nukem Forever Demo Jun 3, 2011, 22:17 Stolk

Krovven wrote on Jun 3, 2011, 18:53:
It's possible. I don't remember seeing it. I do remember they were very limiting on the amount of footage that was allowed to be shot, and all I recall seeing was the Stadium level.

I just remember a bunch of montage video that contained several environments, other than the Stadium.

Just FYI. Maybe not the videos I saw at the time but videos nonetheless from PAX:

Duke Nukem 2010 PAX

87. Re: Duke Nukem Forever Demo Jun 3, 2011, 22:04 Jonny5

Krovven wrote on Jun 3, 2011, 21:16:
Jonny5 wrote on Jun 3, 2011, 21:04:
Console gamers on a PC gaming site ...really?

It's a gaming site. Not just a PC gaming site.

Not to me it isnt, was coming here for 8 years before I saw mention a console...

86. Re: Duke Nukem Forever Demo Jun 3, 2011, 21:16 Krovven

Jonny5 wrote on Jun 3, 2011, 21:04:
Console gamers on a PC gaming site ...really?

It's a gaming site. Not just a PC gaming site.

85. Re: Duke Nukem Forever Demo Jun 3, 2011, 21:04 Jonny5

Mcboinkens wrote on Jun 3, 2011, 20:05:
Jonny5 wrote on Jun 3, 2011, 19:26:
Tumbler wrote on Jun 3, 2011, 19:07:
I didn't preorder it so I don't have the early access key, is the XBL demo open to everyone?

I logged in earlier to check and it was not listed on the "new demo's" area. I'm not sure where it is if not there...

Have to register thru early access then THEY give you a serial number, THEN ya register that number with steam to get demo.. WHy did you think it would just show up in the demos?...really? REALLY?

The XBox360 has Steam now?...really?REALLY?

Console gamers on a PC gaming site ...really? REALLY? Oh and by the fucking way, ya get it thru XBL the same way, you register thru First accesss club ...

84. Re: Duke Nukem Forever Demo Jun 3, 2011, 20:46 Dev

I beat the demo, set it on hard and never even died. Very short, but it definitely is showing me I'm not pre-ordering it.
Lacks polish, for instance, the trailer they play for full game after beating demo? Its in a video form where the sound levels are super quiet compared to the normal gameplay sound, so its almost impossible to hear. Its also the censored version of the trailer, you'd think with the demo warning that its rated M they could have included the uncensored version.

Matshock wrote on Jun 3, 2011, 20:16:
It may be me but I haven't found a way to switch to fists while carrying weapons yet either.
Can't, its the middle mouse button which is like halo, does a melee swing. In other words there's no separate melee "weapon".

83. Re: Duke Nukem Forever Demo Jun 3, 2011, 20:16 Matshock

DNForever wrote on Jun 3, 2011, 19:51:
No mighty boot? Well I guess Pluto's not a planet anymore either. I wish melee attacks weren't some fancy punch or pistol whipping, but a boot kick.

Dev wrote on Jun 3, 2011, 18:24:
jimnms wrote on Jun 3, 2011, 14:41:
That's another thing missing from the old Duke, where's my ability to kick shit?
They announced long ago that along with 2 weapon limit, there was no kicking.

It's in there as a finishing move- if you damage a pig just right he'll drop to his knees then you can run up and kick with the use button

It may be me but I haven't found a way to switch to fists while carrying weapons yet either.

82. Re: Duke Nukem Forever Demo Jun 3, 2011, 20:05 Mcboinkens

Jonny5 wrote on Jun 3, 2011, 19:26:
I didn't preorder it so I don't have the early access key, is the XBL demo open to everyone?

I logged in earlier to check and it was not listed on the "new demo's" area. I'm not sure where it is if not there...

Have to register thru early access then THEY give you a serial number, THEN ya register that number with steam to get demo.. WHy did you think it would just show up in the demos?...really? REALLY?

The XBox360 has Steam now?...really?REALLY?

81. Re: Duke Nukem Forever Demo Jun 3, 2011, 19:51 DNForever

No mighty boot? Well I guess Pluto's not a planet anymore either. I wish melee attacks weren't some fancy punch or pistol whipping, but a boot kick.

Dev wrote on Jun 3, 2011, 18:24:
jimnms wrote on Jun 3, 2011, 14:41:
That's another thing missing from the old Duke, where's my ability to kick shit?
They announced long ago that along with 2 weapon limit, there was no kicking.

80. Re: Duke Nukem Forever Demo Jun 3, 2011, 19:29 SectorEffector

Ray Marden wrote on Jun 3, 2011, 18:51:
It is nice to finally be playing this, but I still question some over the overall decisions.

Upfront, the graphics are tad outdated, but that is expected. Old or new, though, I do not get the obsession with making games look ugly. I do not want motion blur. I do not want film grain. I do not want everything outside of my immediate focus to be covered in vaseline. And when I do want to turn off this crap, I want to be able to individually select it, not lose every graphical enhancement.

Playing the demo, two thoughts spring up - one, they need to work a bit on the options/control/feel and, two, a lot depends how how much the final game opens up.

For the former, it is all the little things - it does not properly support 1920x1200, I want to tweak the FoV, Duke walks a little slow, running is overly exaggerated and has a split second delay, I do not like how the mouse input is handled, the scripting is a bit wooden, the animation feels a little stiff, weapons feel a bit weak, you're confined to only two primary weapons, the contextual use command is a little flakey, Daikatana taught us long ago that shooting small toads suck, I wish the kidk feature was there for opening crates, etc.

For the latter, I am coming into this game looking for the fun and over the top aspects. From the demo's perspective, at what point was I really free to run around everywhere, explore for secrets, and create havoc? These were relatively linear, confined sequences. Looking back to just the first level of the prior game, I was using a jetpack, finding secrets, looking for cracks in the walls, playing in the arcade, screwing with the projector, going through an air duct, finding a secret via the cash register, etc.

I am mildly intrigued and need to play it again, but it really depends on what the final game is. If this style of gameplay - confined, linear areas with few special areas - is what the game is about, I would argue both developers failed at making a Duke Nukem game. So long as there are more unique or just improbable situations - the alien is in the building; go kick its ass! - in the final game, it has the chance to be fun. Even then, though, they really need to tweak some things to bring back the sense of speed and power.
I must be naive, but I see the possibility. I just don't think they did it.
Betting the driving segments will be the weakest portions of the game,
Ray

I have relatively realistic expectations for the full game.

I'm just hoping its better than painkiller. Which I had a blast playing. And I expect to laugh. (not at the game being horrible or the graphics sucking )

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6-Q2iICtlIc

79. Re: Duke Nukem Forever Demo Jun 3, 2011, 19:26 Jonny5

78. Re: Duke Nukem Forever Demo Jun 3, 2011, 19:25 yuastnav

Krovven wrote on Jun 3, 2011, 18:53:
It's possible. I don't remember seeing it. I do remember they were very limiting on the amount of footage that was allowed to be shot, and all I recall seeing was the Stadium level.

I just remember a bunch of montage video that contained several environments, other than the Stadium.

I'm pretty sure that I remember seeing the Stadium and the truck/desert level but I either turned it off because it was boring or it just ended when the player got the sniper rifle and shot some aliens.

77. Re: Duke Nukem Forever Demo Jun 3, 2011, 19:16 Ray Marden

If it is restricted (early access,) I would presume it is treated like the Steam version or like DLC - you don't see it until you enter in or activate your code amd then it appears.
That or they are just fixing bugs with it.
Otherwise, it would like not show up until they hit the switch and make it "public."

Really thinking The Witcher 2 had a rushed ending,
Ray

Everything is awesome!!!
http://shoutengine.com/GarnettonGames/
I love you, mom.

76. Re: Duke Nukem Forever Demo Jun 3, 2011, 19:07 Tumbler

99gamers.com-Game trading site, PC digital trading!
Kickstarter "Game Developer"!

75. Re: Duke Nukem Forever Demo Jun 3, 2011, 19:01 Dev

eunichron wrote on Jun 3, 2011, 18:38:
Do you own borderlands? You might have the key from that.

The demo should open to everyone after a week.

74. Re: Duke Nukem Forever Demo Jun 3, 2011, 18:53 Krovven

73. Re: Duke Nukem Forever Demo Jun 3, 2011, 18:51 Ray Marden

It is nice to finally be playing this, but I still question some over the overall decisions.

Upfront, the graphics are tad outdated, but that is expected. Old or new, though, I do not get the obsession with making games look ugly. I do not want motion blur. I do not want film grain. I do not want everything outside of my immediate focus to be covered in vaseline. And when I do want to turn off this crap, I want to be able to individually select it, not lose every graphical enhancement.

Playing the demo, two thoughts spring up - one, they need to work a bit on the options/control/feel and, two, a lot depends how how much the final game opens up.

For the former, it is all the little things - it does not properly support 1920x1200, I want to tweak the FoV, Duke walks a little slow, running is overly exaggerated and has a split second delay, I do not like how the mouse input is handled, the scripting is a bit wooden, the animation feels a little stiff, weapons feel a bit weak, you're confined to only two primary weapons, the contextual use command is a little flakey, Daikatana taught us long ago that shooting small toads suck, I wish the kick feature was there for opening crates, etc.

For the latter, I am coming into this game looking for the fun and over the top aspects. From the demo's perspective, at what point was I really free to run around everywhere, explore for secrets, and create havoc? These were relatively linear, confined sequences. Looking back to just the first level of the prior game, I was using a jetpack, finding secrets, looking for cracks in the walls, playing in the arcade, screwing with the projector, going through an air duct, finding a secret via the cash register, etc.

I am mildly intrigued and need to play it again, but it really depends on what the final game is. If this style of gameplay - confined, linear areas with few special areas - is what the game is about, I would argue both developers failed at making a Duke Nukem game. So long as there are more unique or just improbable situations - the alien is in the building; go kick its ass! - in the final game, it has the chance to be fun. Even then, though, they really need to tweak some things to bring back the sense of speed and power.
I must be naive, but I see the possibility. I just don't think they did it.
Betting the driving segments will be the weakest portions of the game,
Ray

This comment was edited on Jun 4, 2011, 07:40.

Everything is awesome!!!
http://shoutengine.com/GarnettonGames/
I love you, mom.

72. Re: Duke Nukem Forever Demo Jun 3, 2011, 18:44 Stolk

Krovven wrote on Jun 3, 2011, 18:07:
Stolk wrote on Jun 3, 2011, 17:56:
considering we saw this 'exact' same demo running months ago on multiple videos across the internet.

No, we saw the stadium level, which actually looks pretty decent and is fun. We did not see the "desert weapons demo" level in the demo, that they would have been far better off leaving out of the demo and out of the game entirely.

Basically if it had just been the stadium, I'd be interested, but still not sold on it. After playing the 2nd half of the demo, I'm not even interested.

You are incorrect. We saw both of these levels from gameplay movies at PAX. Well, they were there to see regardless of whether you saw them or not. I remember thinking the desert stuff looked kinda crappy, and after playing it, the desert stuff looks kinda crappy. Awesome, but crappy.

71. Re: Duke Nukem Forever Demo Jun 3, 2011, 18:38 eunichron

110 Replies. 6 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo