Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

The Witcher 2 Patch & DLC Tomorrow

The Witcher 2 Website has word to expect a new version 1.2 patch for CD Projekt RED's action/RPG sequel tomorrow. In the meantime, they offer the patch notes, which include word that besides changes and bug fixes, the patch will also include all previously released DLC as well as a new DLC called "Barbers and Coiffeuses" for all your hairdressing needs. The change list follows.

1. All previously released DLC packages are installed with Patch 1.2:
    • "Blue Stripes Combat Jacket"
    • Ultimate Alchemist's Outfit"
    • Ultimate Mage's Outfit"
    • "Ultimate Swordsman's Outfit"
    • "Finisher Pack"
    • "Mysterious Merchant"
    • "Troll Trouble"
  2. Patch 1.2 adds a new free DLC package titled “Barbers and Coiffeuses.” To take advantage of barbershop and hairstyling services, look for Einar Gausel in Chapter 1 of the game, Sambor in Henselt’s Camp in Chapter 2, Felicia Cori in Chapter 2 if you travel to Vergen, and Felicia Cori once again in Chapter 3.
  3. Game saves are now compressed automatically, lowering the amount of disk space they utilize.
  4. An option has been added to the game menu allowing game saves to be deleted. To delete a game save, highlight the relevant item and press the ‘Delete’ key.
  5. The game menu now loads at a markedly accelerated pace.
  6. The game now supports Logitech G35 headphones and other USB headsets with on-board sound cards.
  7. A number of fixes have been added to the key binding functionality (actions can now be mapped to number pad and cursor/arrow keys).
  8. Analog sticks on gamepads now work correctly in the GUI panels.
  9. A number of game balance fixes have been introduced in the Prologue.
  10. Lock on targets is not lost when the distance to targets increases.
  11. A number of fixes have been made in blocking functionality during combat. Also, player character responsiveness in combat has been improved, and Geralt can attack more than one target during normal combat.
  12. A number of corrections have been made in the statistics displayed in item diagrams in the Crafting panel.
  13. The Witcher 1 saves are now imported correctly.
  14. An auto–save has been added before the fight against the draug.
  15. Flare bomb duration is now 2 (two) minutes.
  16. Issue involving the equipping of bombs (or other items) even if they were not present in the character Inventory has been fixed.
  17. Islamic–themed and similar textures have been deleted and/or replaced.
  18. A number of fixes have been made in game dialogues.
  19. Issue that blocked advancement to the next level at the start of Chapter 3 has been fixed.
  20. Issue involving the occurrence of T-poses upon the destruction of nekker nests has been corrected.
  21. Guards can no longer block Geralt when he is on a ladder.
  22. Knives no longer affect friendly NPCs.
  23. Bug related to using some containers has been fixed.
  24. Ostmurk (an ingredient required to complete a quest) can no longer be sold.
  25. Ingredients required to complete the “Melitele's Heart” quest have been added to the game.
  26. A fix has been introduced in the “Troll Trouble” quest whereby the she–troll’s head can be won in a game of dice poker.
  27. The Ghost of the Banner can no longer be killed by wraiths.
  28. Issue involving the Operator being neutral and thus susceptible to being killed before any conversation occurs has been fixed.
  29. A number of fixes have been introduced to prevent selected NPCs from being blocked (king in siege tower, knights when destroying a gate in the Prologue, etc.).
  30. The “Three Sisters” quest has been fixed so that the door does not remain locked forever once the quest has been completed.
  31. A number of progression breaks have been fixed, including instances of blocked meditation, inability to save game, and blocked combat after use of static cameras (e.g. game could not be saved after completion of the “Indecent Proposal” quest).
  32. The progression break during the fight against the dragon in Chapter 3 (exploration not working properly) has been fixed.
  33. The progression break during the fight against Dethmold (whereby he sometimes remained behind his barrier, doing nothing) has been fixed.
  34. The progression break (black screen) in the "Little Shop of Dreams" quest has been fixed.
  35. The progression break following failure to complete the ritual with Anezka has been fixed.
  36. The progression break during the dialogue on the beach in the “Hung Over” quest has been fixed.

View
34 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

34. Re: The Witcher 2 Patch & DLC Tomorrow Jun 4, 2011, 00:20 Jerykk

Uh, wrong. The Sims, Neverwinter Nights and other recent games all used radial / pie menus.

What did they use radial menus for? Inventory management? I seem to recall NWN having a pretty awful interface and the radial menu was one of the reasons for that. Within the context of an RPG, a hotbar is the most efficient way to access your items and/or abilities. It's pretty rare that you use more than 10 items/abilities on a regular basis. WoW isn't a good example because it's an MMO. Witcher 2 is not an MMO.

Besides, look at the usability studies linked in the Wikipedia article. Clearly they don't jive with what you're saying.

Those studies compared radial menus to linear menus. A hotbar is not a linear menu. With a hotbar, you can assign any item/ability to a number key and then press that key to immediately use that item. You don't have to go through any other menus first. With a radial menu, you first have to bring up the menu, then highlight the item/ability, then either click or close the menu. Hotbar requires one action, radial menu requires three.

Hotbar interfaces have lead to the monstrosity that is WoW, where you end up with 100 different buttons on screen at the same time.

That's not a problem inherent to hotbars. That's a problem with WoW (and MMOs in general) giving you way too many items and abilities. Trying to manage that stuff through a radial menu would be a nightmare. Given the number of items and abilities you can access at any given time, a hotbar is the optimal solution.

I'd also say you're correct that you can use Pie Menus in the wrong place, and perhaps they shouldn't have used them here, but to attempt to claim the game is "consolized" simply because it uses Pie Menus is ridiculous.

It's not ridiculous at all. Over the past decade, an increasing number of console games started using radial menus because that's the most efficient way to access items/abilities with a gamepad. Conversely, an increasing number of PC games started using hotbars because a hotbar makes better use of a keyboard. A console cannot use hotbars because there is no keyboard. If The Witcher 2 was designed with only PC in mind, there would be no reason to use a radial menu instead of a hotbar. And before you mention Crysis, it's important to note that Crysis 2 was designed for consoles. With its regenerating health and radial menu, Crysis was clearly designed with console sensibilities in mind. That's why nobody was surprised when Crysis 2 was announced as a multiplatform game. Similarly, nobody is surprised that Witcher 2 is being released for X360 because the game was clearly designed to accommodate the X360 gamepad.

Hell, just take a look at the Dragon Age series. DAO PC? Hotbar. DAO console? Radial menu. DA2 PC? Hotbar. DA2 console? Radial menu. For DAO, PC was the lead SKU so Bioware had to specifically create a radial menu for the console versions. For DA2, consoles were the lead SKU so Bioware had to create a hotbar specifically for the PC version. DA2 may have been a half-assed sequel but at least Bioware acknowledged the superiority of hotbars over radial menus.

This comment was edited on Jun 4, 2011, 00:34.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

33. Re: The Witcher 2 Patch & DLC Tomorrow Jun 3, 2011, 16:15 DrEvil

Jerykk wrote on Jun 3, 2011, 14:46:
Point is, computer software/games were using them long before "consoles" were.

I think you're missing the point. Yes, a lot of really old PC games used radial menus. However, later games did not. Why? Because the developers

Uh, wrong. The Sims, Neverwinter Nights and other recent games all used radial / pie menus. Besides, look at the usability studies linked in the Wikipedia article. Clearly they don't jive with what you're saying.

realized that a radial menu is not the most efficient way to do things with a mouse and keyboard. That's why hotbars were invented and became a staple of every PC RPG. Even the PC version of Deus Ex: Human Revolution has a hotbar. Witcher 2 would have greatly benefit from a hotbar as well but hotbars don't work well with gamepads, so they went with a radial menu instead.

Hotbar interfaces have lead to the monstrosity that is WoW, where you end up with 100 different buttons on screen at the same time. That does not seem like an improvement to me (and I say that as a past WoW player).

Although I'd agree that they can be used successfully in the right scenario.

I'd also say you're correct that you can use Pie Menus in the wrong place, and perhaps they shouldn't have used them here, but to attempt to claim the game is "consolized" simply because it uses Pie Menus is ridiculous.

32. Re: The Witcher 2 Patch & DLC Tomorrow Jun 3, 2011, 14:46 Jerykk

I think you're missing the point. Yes, a lot of really old PC games used radial menus. However, later games did not. Why? Because the developers realized that a radial menu is not the most efficient way to do things with a mouse and keyboard. That's why hotbars were invented and became a staple of every PC RPG. Even the PC version of Deus Ex: Human Revolution has a hotbar. Witcher 2 would have greatly benefit from a hotbar as well but hotbars don't work well with gamepads, so they went with a radial menu instead.

31. Re: The Witcher 2 Patch & DLC Tomorrow Jun 3, 2011, 14:38 DrEvil

descender wrote on Jun 3, 2011, 14:05:
For the record, radial menus were only implemented in "The Sims" and other games after it was released on console.

Actually, for the record, the first documented use was on a custom computer system in 1969:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pie_menu

30. Re: The Witcher 2 Patch & DLC Tomorrow Jun 3, 2011, 14:16 necrosis

descender wrote on Jun 3, 2011, 14:05:
For the record, radial menus were only implemented in "The Sims" and other games after it was released on console.
Rainbow Six: Raven Shield had radial menus. Long before the franchise was bastardized and butchered for the console masses.

While radial menus are common for consoles they were just made common there. PC's invented them but they were used sparingly. Just like QT events.

I won't go into long winded detail but I will say W2 does feel more like a ported console game than W1 (which did not at all).

CD Projekt. I'm still waiting for the 16:10/4:3 fix.

29. Re: The Witcher 2 Patch & DLC Tomorrow Jun 3, 2011, 14:05 descender

28. Re: The Witcher 2 Patch & DLC Tomorrow Jun 3, 2011, 14:01 Tom

DrEvil wrote on Jun 3, 2011, 13:37:
Tom wrote on Jun 3, 2011, 13:28:
Wow, you're really grasping at straws here now. Why do you feel the need to defend this so much?

I could say the same for you.

I feel that when developers make compromises, they should be recognized as such. To deny that they are compromises sends the wrong message (us consumers don't care or understand) and could ultimately lower the standards of excellence that products are held to.

Again, I feel the need to reiterate that compromises are not entirely a bad thing. To be a successful developer, you have to choose your battles, ship products, and make money. And it's in our best interest for talented developers like CD Projekt to be successful.

I don't disagree with the single solution aspect, but it's also clear they don't have a single solution. They have a user interface that it seems likely will share some common elements between platforms, but the PC version obviously will have some major differences.

Oh, so you think the UI in the console version will differ from the PC version? That's interesting. I doubt there will be any significant difference, as I can envision the current UI working easily with little to no change, but only time will tell.

27. Re: The Witcher 2 Patch & DLC Tomorrow Jun 3, 2011, 13:37 DrEvil

Tom wrote on Jun 3, 2011, 13:28:
Wow, you're really grasping at straws here now. Why do you feel the need to defend this so much?

I could say the same for you.

I never used the word "consolized". I prefer to put it as I did: "elements of the game's design have been compromised in order to fit a console environment". I really feel that's more fact than opinion in this case.

Except, so far, everything you've used as "proof" hasn't been very "proofworthy".

For every UI, you can design it to work best with keyboard+mouse, or a controller, or make some compromises to have fair support for both. Or you can make separate UI's altogether that are designed specifically for each scenario - that's the best option, but also the most difficult and expensive. A few top notch console ports have taken that route but it's rare. The Witcher 2 has gone the compromise route and it seems most people have recognized that. It's not the end of the world. It's the expected outcome and we can live with it.

The same thing applies to running on a TV that you sit far away from vs. a computer monitor that you sit close to.

You can't solve every UI problem with a single solution that makes the most of every environment's unique characteristics. For most UI problems, a single solution will inevitably involve compromise.

I don't disagree with the single solution aspect, but it's also clear they don't have a single solution. They have a user interface that it seems likely will share some common elements between platforms, but the PC version obviously will have some major differences.

26. Re: The Witcher 2 Patch & DLC Tomorrow Jun 3, 2011, 13:28 Tom

I never used the word "consolized". I prefer to put it as I did: "elements of the game's design have been compromised in order to fit a console environment". I really feel that's more fact than opinion in this case.

For every UI, you can design it to work best with keyboard+mouse, or a controller, or make some compromises to have fair support for both. Or you can make separate UI's altogether that are designed specifically for each scenario - that's the best option, but also the most difficult and expensive. A few top notch console ports have taken that route but it's rare. The Witcher 2 has gone the compromise route and it seems most people have recognized that. It's not the end of the world. It's the expected outcome and we can live with it.

The same thing applies to running on a TV that you sit far away from vs. a computer monitor that you sit close to.

You can't solve every UI problem with a single solution that makes the most of every environment's unique characteristics. For most UI problems, a single solution will inevitably involve compromise.

25. Re: The Witcher 2 Patch & DLC Tomorrow Jun 3, 2011, 13:12 DrEvil

Tom wrote on Jun 3, 2011, 11:06:
DrEvil wrote on Jun 3, 2011, 10:54:
The game was developed on the PC for the PC. It. Is. Not. Consolized. *smacks descender*.

Console games are developed on the PC as well. Do you think they're developed on the consoles? Haha. As for whether elements of the game's design have been compromised in order to fit a console environment, the answer is absolutely yes. For example, the inventory system is a pain to navigate because it's designed to work with a controller. Or do you have some alternate explanation for why it sucks?

You think it sucks, you're entitled to that opinion. What you're not entitled to do is claim a game is "consolized" merely because developers decided to create a single interface that works for them no matter what platform they're targeting.

The game may have been released on the PC first, but make no mistake. It is definitely coming to consoles and was developed with that in mind. As I pointed out in a previous thread, there's even an x360 directory installed along with the game on the PC.

That doesn't make it a "consolized game".

All of the traits you've named as "proof" that's it consolized (except for picking a common interface design) are easily disproved by showing their existence in older PC games.

Nevermind that joysticks and gamepads are sold in the store for PC games and have been for decades.

Nevermind that the first generation of many PC games was often designed to be played with a joystick/gamepad and many of them thought of the keyboard as an afterthought.

24. Re: The Witcher 2 Patch & DLC Tomorrow Jun 3, 2011, 13:07 DrEvil

Bumpy wrote on Jun 3, 2011, 11:06:
I disagree, it is consolized because it has tons of typical console traits. The whole game is designed with gamepad usage first, kb/mouse 2nd; huge no no on PC. Oh hell, I'll just quote Jerykk....

Those aren't console traits.

The Quick Time Events, radial menus, circular button prompts, scrolling text list inventory, paraphrased dialogue options without any numerical bindings and soft lock targeting system were all clearly designed with console ports in mind.

1) "Quick Time events" were frequently seen on the PC in the past. Hit a series of buttons based on an arbitrary timing sequence to do a battle? Oh yeah, that's so console unique. Hell, go back to Dragon's Lair in the arcade if you want the game that made it popular!

2) Radial menus were seen in many older PC games such as The Sims. They were historically called "Pie Menus". They are not a console trait.

3) Circular button prompts are a stylistic choice.

4) Scrolling text list inventory also seen in many older PC games (in the original Nintendo days!)

5) Paraphrased dialogue options without number bindings. Clearly you haven't played enough PC adventure games if you think that's unique to consoles.

6) Soft-lock targeting system? See original half-life and other games with "target assist". Go back farther and look at flight simulators like Terminal Velocity, others. Look at MMORPGs on the PC.

And the 16:10 issue which they didn't give a damn to even look at for TW2. It's still a good game but it is consolized.

16:9 and 16:10 ratios are often ignored by developers. Whoopee doo.

If all of the above is your "proof" that it's "consolized", you're wrong.

23. Re: The Witcher 2 Patch & DLC Tomorrow Jun 3, 2011, 12:22 descender

Radial Menus (designed for gamepad)
Round buttons with Small unreadable text (designed for gamepad and TV)
item text is larger on selected items (designed for tv)
one active skill, one active item (designed for gamepad, not keyboard)
Lock target button (again, gamepad)
no camera zoom control (gamepad/TV limitation)
no keyboard input for direct dialog options (keyboard? what keyboard?)
large scrolling interface with lots of empty unused area (TV)

No 4:3 or 16:10 support, no scaling interface... small barely readable text at high resolutions.

Make no mistake, while this game was designed and developed on the PC, it was clearly designed for the simplest translation to console/TV output.

22. Re: The Witcher 2 Patch & DLC Tomorrow Jun 3, 2011, 11:10 Mashiki Amiketo

LittleMe wrote on Jun 3, 2011, 04:14:
Apparently it was in a brothel.

Oh no? You mean they don't have brothels? Oh wait they do. They just call them 1 hour to 1 week arranged marriages.

--
"For every human problem,
there is a neat, simple solution;
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

21. Re: The Witcher 2 Patch & DLC Tomorrow Jun 3, 2011, 11:06 Tom

The game was developed on the PC for the PC. It. Is. Not. Consolized. *smacks descender*.

Console games are developed on the PC as well. Do you think they're developed on the consoles? Haha. As for whether elements of the game's design have been compromised in order to fit a console environment, the answer is absolutely yes. For example, the inventory system is a pain to navigate because it's designed to work with a controller. Or do you have some alternate explanation for why it sucks?

The game may have been released on the PC first, but make no mistake. It is definitely coming to consoles and was developed with that in mind. As I pointed out in a previous thread, there's even an x360 directory installed along with the game on the PC.

Btw, I'm not saying the game sucks - I think it's great. They walked the line between console and PC pretty well. I just think you'd have to be blind to not notice the console influence.

20. Re: The Witcher 2 Patch & DLC Tomorrow Jun 3, 2011, 11:06 Bumpy

descender wrote on Jun 3, 2011, 10:25:
Consolized or not.

I see people like you keep using that word, but that word does not mean what you think it means.

I disagree, it is consolized because it has tons of typical console traits. The whole game is designed with gamepad usage first, kb/mouse 2nd; huge no no on PC. Oh hell, I'll just quote Jerykk....

The Quick Time Events, radial menus, circular button prompts, scrolling text list inventory, paraphrased dialogue options without any numerical bindings and soft lock targeting system were all clearly designed with console ports in mind.

And the 16:10 issue which they didn't give a damn to even look at for TW2. It's still a good game but it is consolized.

19. Re: The Witcher 2 Patch & DLC Tomorrow Jun 3, 2011, 11:00 Kxmode

Consolized or not.

I see people like you keep using that word, but that word does not mean what you think it means.

Careful descender. He's using his Shatner voice.

18. Re: The Witcher 2 Patch & DLC Tomorrow Jun 3, 2011, 10:54 DrEvil

Consolized or not.

17. Re: The Witcher 2 Patch & DLC Tomorrow Jun 3, 2011, 10:33 Verno

It's still a significantly better UI than the first game.

In the same way that getting kicked in the shin is better than being booted in the junk. It's a shit UI that gets in the way of the player too often. The quest tracking is barely even rudimentary "My First MMO" level of quality. I love The Witcher and The Witcher 2 but CDP really needs to hire an actual UI designer.

Playing: Alien Isolation, 7 Days to Die, Dragon Age Origins
Watching: The Canal, Brazil, The Town That Dreaded Sundown

16. Re: The Witcher 2 Patch & DLC Tomorrow Jun 3, 2011, 10:25 descender

It's still a significantly better UI than the first game. Consolized or not.

Hopefully this patch fixes some of the pausing and "lack on input" issues I was seeing during combat. Disabling vsync made them occur less frequently... maybe this will squash it for good. I stopped playing the game waiting for these patches.

15. Re: The Witcher 2 Patch & DLC Tomorrow Jun 3, 2011, 09:51 Syrak

It's better to not have so many issues to fix, but at least they are being quick with the patches.

I ran into several of these bugs already so it's nice to see they are listening to reports.

34 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo