Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

OnLive on Connected TVs

OnLive has a new deal with Intel, which, combined with a new universal controller, will bring the cloud-based gaming service to connected TVs and Blu-Rayplayers, reports Gigaom. On a related note, Eurogamer says OmLive is slated to launch in the U.K. this autumn. Here's word on the connected TV deal:

The Intel partnership, which is being announced ahead of next week’s E3 video game confab, will embed OnLive technology onto Intel CE4100 Embedded Processors. That means TVs, Blu-ray players and other devices using the Intel consumer electronics chipset will soon have access to the video game service, expanding availability to tens of millions of new devices.

But streaming to the TV is just one piece of enabling users to play cloud-based video games. Users also need a way to control those games. So OnLive is releasing a new universal controller designed to work with just about any connected device. The controller works either by establishing a direct wireless connection, or through a USB dongle connected to the device.

View
20 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

20. Re: OnLive on Connected TVs Jun 3, 2011, 11:05 Verno

I can't speak to the US but Netflix is definitely actively lobbying in Canada

Yeah I saw, I read the article about them hiring some lobbyists back in February but haven't seen anything come of it so far. The Conservative majority up there and replacement of consumer friendly Tony Clement doesn't bode well either.

Playing: Dragon Age Inquisition, Far Cry 4, This War of Mine
Watching: The Fall, The Walking Dead, Leon
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

19. Re: OnLive on Connected TVs Jun 3, 2011, 10:58 Creston

I think Netflix has to walk a careful line. Its current spat with Level 3 is still on the table as well, and it's hard for them to say that at one point they aren't the massive datahogs that Level 3 claims they are, and on the other hand complain that datacaps affect them more than any other company...

Creston

18. Re: OnLive on Connected TVs Jun 3, 2011, 10:51 Parallax Abstraction

Verno wrote on Jun 3, 2011, 09:14:
Beamer wrote on Jun 3, 2011, 07:38:

Yeah pretty much usage caps are the death knell of the service

Netflix is going to fight caps to the death.

You would think so but that's unfortunately incorrect. Netflix in fact has taken a very laid back stance, basically just issuing press statements. They don't lobby, they aren't making significant new partnerships beyond CDN and edge network placement. In fact I remember when Canada was going through that whole UBB thing and asked Netflix to get involved they basically said "we feel the marketplace will eventually force this issue with the cable/DSL providers". Netflix is starting to position itself as a content provider more than anything else.

I can't speak to the US but Netflix is definitely actively lobbying in Canada. There have been numerous reports of Netflix meeting with federal Members of Parliament and it is believes that when Aggregated Volume Pricing (big telco's rebranding of UBB) becomes an issue, it is expected that Netflix will be taking a more active stance on the issue. I certainly hope they've learned that their deafening silence during UBB definitely contributed to it initially getting passed.

Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

17. Re: OnLive on Connected TVs Jun 3, 2011, 10:30 Creston

Cutter wrote on Jun 3, 2011, 00:31:
Caps and their pricing structure. I can't imagine them surviving the long run, or for long for that matter.

I dunno, man. AT&T, Comcast, Time Warner and their ilk literally grease a metric FUCKTON of palms in Washington.

Creston

16. Re: OnLive on Connected TVs Jun 3, 2011, 09:14 Verno

Beamer wrote on Jun 3, 2011, 07:38:

Netflix is going to fight caps to the death.

You would think so but that's unfortunately incorrect. Netflix in fact has taken a very laid back stance, basically just issuing press statements. They don't lobby, they aren't making significant new partnerships beyond CDN and edge network placement. In fact I remember when Canada was going through that whole UBB thing and asked Netflix to get involved they basically said "we feel the marketplace will eventually force this issue with the cable/DSL providers". Netflix is starting to position itself as a content provider more than anything else.

They are basically relying on demand to drive people to anger, not realizing how willing people are to be gouged. If OnLive wants to have any prayer of survival then they need to dump millions into political lobbying just to get out of the gate. Their bandwidth is vying for share with Netflix in this soon to be capped world, they aren't really the allies logic might make them appear to be.

Playing: Dragon Age Inquisition, Far Cry 4, This War of Mine
Watching: The Fall, The Walking Dead, Leon

15. Re: OnLive on Connected TVs Jun 3, 2011, 08:53 Parallax Abstraction

Bumpy wrote on Jun 3, 2011, 00:31:
Who the heck is buying this subscription service to keep it a float even this long? I would of thought it would already have gone the way of WebTV.

OnLive hasn't had a subscription for a while now. Anyone can use the service for free, you just buy games like you would on Steam.

Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

14. Re: OnLive on Connected TVs Jun 3, 2011, 07:38 Beamer

Netflix is going to fight caps to the death. Getting OnLive involved in that fight is good for everyone.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

13. Re: OnLive on Connected TVs Jun 3, 2011, 05:32 Tehol

if onlive pulls it off then it can become a god killer.
death to all platforms that includes ps3 and xbox 360 or whatever.surprisingly i am ok with that as long it takes down xbox or ps next generation.

12. Re: OnLive on Connected TVs Jun 3, 2011, 04:05 Aphixe

you said Eurogamer says OmLive!! spelling fail. please fix, :-d  

11. Re: OnLive on Connected TVs Jun 3, 2011, 03:27 KilrathiAce

If I am like 70 and reitred assuming I live that long I may get onlive because I will be lazy enough and not carying much about quality just to play something. thats about it.  

"On 2646.215 I myself attacked & destroyed TCS Tiger's Claw in my Jalthi heavy fighter"
Bakhtosh Redclaw Nar Kiranka

10. Re: OnLive on Connected TVs Jun 3, 2011, 02:11 Esoteric

This is a good move on their part. While at this time the technology isn't quite there, it eventually will be (including U.S. bandwidth). It's not a bad idea in principle, although its current implementation leaves a lot to be desired. I don't use the service, nor do I have any desire to, as I have a pretty decent PC, but I can see how this type of service would be relevant in the future. IF everything was instant/high resolution/no different than an incredible local set up, and the cost of a sub would be a lot less than upgrading, I can see it working.

It's like (or rather, will EVENTUALLY be) streaming Netflix. Yeah, you're renting the movies. But it's so damn cheap and convenient that it's just worth it. It all depends on their pricing structure, and whether they can compete with ownership vs. rental. Capitalism will decide the end result.

9. Re: OnLive on Connected TVs Jun 3, 2011, 02:05 entr0py

Bumpy wrote on Jun 3, 2011, 00:31:
Who the heck is buying this subscription service to keep it a float even this long? I would of thought it would already have gone the way of WebTV.

Web services don't need to be profitable for several years, venture capital just needs to support them long enough for some major companies to buy them out. The same was true of you tube, facebook, twitter, most big web ventures. I'd bet OnLive isn't profitable, but is good at impressing investors.

8. Re: OnLive on Connected TVs Jun 3, 2011, 00:44 maddog

The service always worked well for me, I just didn't think their game selection was the best for the platform.

Granted new releases are nice but what about more sports games or racing games?

And how about vintage titles. I still play on my Gametap account because they offer the old DOS games as well as Atari and Sega games in a browser. Those are the games I want to sit around and play on my TV. Not Just Cause2.

Give me Combat.

MD

7. Re: OnLive on Connected TVs Jun 3, 2011, 00:31 Cutter

Caps and their pricing structure. I can't imagine them surviving the long run, or for long for that matter.

"Bye weeks? Bronko Nagurski didn't get no bye weeks, and now he's dead… Well, maybe they're a good thing." - Moe

6. Re: OnLive on Connected TVs Jun 3, 2011, 00:31 Bumpy

5. Re: OnLive on Connected TVs Jun 3, 2011, 00:08 Flatline

Creston wrote on Jun 2, 2011, 23:16:
I gotta admit, they are definitely working hard to get it included in everything, and seem to be quite succesful in doing so.

Of course, the FCC-blessed internet caps (thanks Genachowski!) are going to murder the entire idea of onlive even more.

Creston

Yeah pretty much usage caps are the death knell of the service.

4. Re: OnLive on Connected TVs Jun 2, 2011, 23:16 Creston

I gotta admit, they are definitely working hard to get it included in everything, and seem to be quite succesful in doing so.

Of course, the FCC-blessed internet caps (thanks Genachowski!) are going to murder the entire idea of onlive even more.

Creston

3. Re: OnLive on Connected TVs Jun 2, 2011, 23:11 Flatline

Actually this is what they should have done to begin with.

I still think it's fundamentally flawed and not a good service or a good approach to gaming, but pushing it to a native app on the TV/Blu Ray player should have been their original plan.

2. Re: OnLive on Connected TVs Jun 2, 2011, 22:56 Dades

God help the gaming industry if this crap ever picks up. They will destroy all competition and try to charge you to pay hourly on top of the bandwidth fees everyone will be paying soon.  

1. Re: OnLive on Connected TVs Jun 2, 2011, 22:43 Quboid

Available soon after 40Mbps FTTC internet should be available. Maybe this isn't completely useless. Thanks City of Culture gimmick!  

- Quboid

20 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo