Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Star Wars Games "Our Priority" - LucasArts

There's a brief interview with Paul Meegan on MCV with the first public comments from the president of LucasArts since he took over that post a year ago. The company seems to have had as many shakeups as game releases over the past decade, and he frankly admits: "I think people look at it and wonder why it hasn’t done better in recent years." Over time LucasArts has gone back and forth on what kind of games they should make, and Meegan feels they need to focus on their core property:

Lucasfilm has some of the most beloved and powerful brands in entertainment, we have a loyal community of fans, and talented people in every discipline. We’re surrounded by staggeringly bright and creative people at the top of their games.

In recent years, LucasArts hasn’t always done a good job of making games. We should be making games that define our medium, that are competitive with the best of our industry, but we’re not. That has to change. “Our priority is to create authentic, immersive, high quality Star Wars games.

View
47 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

47. Re: Star Wars Games "Our Priority" - LucasArts Jun 4, 2011, 22:15 Ant

Prove it, LucasArts!  

Ant @ The Ant Farm: http://antfarm.ma.cx and Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net ...
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

46. Re: Star Wars Games "Our Priority" - LucasArts Jun 3, 2011, 11:43 Verno

I have zero confidence in LucasArts to remake any old IP. I'm all for nostalgia but they will fuck it up unless it's farmed out.  

Playing: Everquest Next Alpha, Diablo 3, Bravely Default
Watching: Evidence, Longmire, Chained

45. Re: Star Wars Games Jun 3, 2011, 10:50 yuastnav

I'd love to have a new Republic Commando, a Jedi Knight 3 (a PROPER Jedi Knight 3, not the accident that was Jedi Academy) and a new X-Wing Alliance.
Yes, all Star Wars games but I love 'em! Sadly they don't make any decent anymore. The last one I played was The Force Unleashed and it was pretty awful. :/

44. Re: Star Wars Games Jun 3, 2011, 04:51 Jonny

Wasn't cancelling the Force Unleashed series one of the first things he did? FU was no classic but it was fun enough, and the DLC showed they were heading in a better direction, then he rolled in, cancelled FU3 outright, then cut FU2 off at the knees and shipped it anyway.

Never been a more appropriate acronym though.

Need more Tie Fighter, more Jedi Knight and for the love of god someone remind these clowns that tooling about in a freighter is a major part of the universe, and so they should make a Privateer.

43. Re: Star Wars Games Jun 3, 2011, 01:32 Sepharo

Dev wrote on Jun 2, 2011, 23:00:
Sepharo wrote on Jun 2, 2011, 22:43:
I had to check but I guess their best game doesn't have a custom logo.
I beg to differ, they had the hypnotic blue rings in the background. Thats part of the logo screen.

Oh I suppose you're right, I was too busy staring at the actual logo to notice.

42. Re: Star Wars Games Jun 2, 2011, 23:00 Dev

Sepharo wrote on Jun 2, 2011, 22:43:
I beg to differ, they had the hypnotic blue rings in the background. Thats part of the logo screen.
DoT (that game is great) was only done 2 years after the introduction of the gold guy logo, which was used about 14 years at lucasarts per wiki. So maybe they were still experimenting with how far they could modify the logo? I don't recall how exactly the logo looked on the early games using it.
For some companies especially nowadays its a pretty serious thing to have the logo modified even for one game. Logos are copyrighted and even the colors used in them are trademarked, etc.
IANAL

41. Re: Star Wars Games Jun 2, 2011, 22:43 Sepharo

Dev wrote on Jun 2, 2011, 22:17:
SectorEffector wrote on Jun 2, 2011, 20:49:
Does anyone else miss the custom Lucasarts logos per game?
Yeah, not every game did it, but that was the first thing I looked forward to on a new lucasarts game, what cool stuff were they going to do with the logo. I usually waited to hit ESCAPE until after that logo showed, since it was usually fun and entertaining to watch. Then later all they did was flash it up there and it got boring.

edit:
Also relevant: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rXVT0Khzdhs

This comment was edited on Jun 2, 2011, 22:48.

40. Re: Star Wars Games Jun 2, 2011, 22:17 Dev

SectorEffector wrote on Jun 2, 2011, 20:49:
Yeah, not every game did it, but that was the first thing I looked forward to on a new lucasarts game, what cool stuff were they going to do with the logo. I usually waited to hit ESCAPE until after that logo showed, since it was usually fun and entertaining to watch. Then later all they did was flash it up there and it got boring.

39. Re: Star Wars Games "Our Priority" - LucasArts Jun 2, 2011, 21:23 ViRGE

I remember when LucastArts was specifically disallowed from making Star Wars games, for exactly this reason. LA became was Lucas feared: a game company that was only capable of riding the coattails of Star Wars.  

38. Re: Star Wars Games Jun 2, 2011, 21:18 Nighthawk

From the article:
In recent years, LucasArts hasn’t always done a good job of making games.
Ok, admission, I like it.
I liked a lot of the old games too, everyone once in a while I install XW-Alliance, that because of the ship selection, didn't care TOO much for the story.
Should we luck out and have someone reading from LA reading the forum, here's my choices
- X-Wing type flight sim, latest generation, maybe storyline spanning the whole series (and official books?)
- Battlefront, watch the battlefield/CoD for inspiration, BF:BC2 for multi
---edit---
oh...ahem...do I need to mention PC gamers have been your backbone?

37. Re: Star Wars Games Jun 2, 2011, 21:09 Hyatus

El Pit wrote on Jun 2, 2011, 15:53:
Nowadays, when Lucasanything writes "Star Wars", they actually mean "Clone Wars".

Sadly...this.

36. Re: Star Wars Games Jun 2, 2011, 20:49 SectorEffector

MuzixMon wrote on Jun 2, 2011, 20:42:
I agree on Republic Commando! I read up on the supposed sequel but it was cancelled a long time ago. Not to mention the game was going to be called Imperial Commando and that alone would've gotten all the old school Star Wars fans interested... ooh well...

What!!?

Way to destroy an IP..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6-Q2iICtlIc

35. Re: Star Wars Games Jun 2, 2011, 20:42 MuzixMon

I agree on Republic Commando! I read up on the supposed sequel but it was cancelled a long time ago. Not to mention the game was going to be called Imperial Commando and that alone would've gotten all the old school Star Wars fans interested... ooh well...  

"When all thats left is console gaming, I will game no more."

34. Re: Star Wars Games Jun 2, 2011, 20:27 Flatline

Dear Mr Meegan:

If we look at your list of beloved and cherished LucasArts games, the list of non-Star Wars games outnumbers Star Wars games by at least 2 to 1.

Yes we have the X-wing series and the Jedi Knight series. Those were awesome.

However, the SCUMM engine games alone outnumber those two offerings.

I doubt anyone would remember such offerings as BallBlazer back in the mid-80's on the C-64, but clear back before the PC LucasArts meant quality and imagination.

PS: For what it was, Republic Commando was the last quality SW title I played, and needed a sequel badly.

33. Re: Star Wars Games Jun 2, 2011, 19:34 Shataan

It sadly amazes me how the likes of LA and M$, the list goes on and on.... how they blatantly refused to deliver updated next gen versions of their games that totally rocked us way back when. The dough is just sitting here waiting. For like..... fuxoring years!!!!!!

WTF is our Next Gen Mechwarriors, our Heavy Gears, our Tribes, Battlezones , our X Wing/Tie Fighters , Jedi Knights...... etc etc etc?????

Inevitably.... they will ALL come crawling on back saying how they are committed to delivering bladda yadda yadda. Well track record be damned, the proof is always in the pudding. I seriously doubt being away from their core buyer base for so long that they can even deliver anything as cool as those awesome games we loved years ago. Love to see em try tho.

The soul of those cool ass games is not JUST a dev teams/Publishers name or game name on a box. If they can`t be sure to deliver, they might as well not even bother. They`d only deliver something pale incomparison.

Take Novas Delta Force as a great example. After DF 2, they repeated failed to deliver a real DF experience. To this very day.

32. Re: Star Wars Games "Our Priority" - LucasArts Jun 2, 2011, 19:09 SectorEffector

They killed the Full Throttle sequel. Ben was an awesome protagonist!  

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6-Q2iICtlIc

31. Re: Star Wars Games Jun 2, 2011, 18:45 Fion

Hows about an Tie Fighter sequel already then? And don't fuck it up or I will find you and you will regret it!  

30. Re: Star Wars Games Jun 2, 2011, 18:45 entr0py

Deepjay wrote on Jun 2, 2011, 18:19:
Hook up with DICE and have them make Battlefront 3 for you ffs!!!

That would be great. And EA (who owns DICE) is currently working with Lucas Arts to copublish The Old Republic, so there's already a relationship there. Also, DICE is helping design the futuristic weapons for Mass Effect 3.

Modern times warfare is starting to feel like a rutt just like the WWII era became in FPS games. I'd love to see DICE do any kind of sci-fi again, even Star Wars.

29. Re: Star Wars Games Jun 2, 2011, 18:44 Graham

zerobytes wrote on Jun 2, 2011, 18:06:
Star Wars doesn't really have much appeal to me. The world is drab, the story mundane and I have never felt for any of the characters. When I think of LucasArts I think of Maniac Mansion, Monkey Island and Zak McKraken. Wish they would do more original, humorous adventure games like those instead of the tired rebel vs. empire story.

I like you. I like your opinions. I like how you state them.

28. Re: Star Wars Games Jun 2, 2011, 18:40 Krovven

Dungeon Keeper 3
System Shock 3

Both are Electronic Arts games, not LucasArts.

47 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo