Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Super Street Fighter IV: AE DRM Changes

A post by Capcom's Christian Svensson to Capcom-Unity announces a change to their plans for DRM on the upcoming Windows edition of Super Street Fighter IV: Arcade Edition, following up on the controversy over last week's announcement that the enhanced brawler would require a constant internet connection to play (thanks Joao). Thanking everyone for their "passion, input and support," this update kicks off with a headline saying: "SSFIV: AE PC – DRM: We Had it Wrong," going on to explain why and how:

The argument that legitimate users would have a worse experience than pirates was the loudest and most convincing. We certainly don’t want that to be the case and that was never our intention.

So we’ve heard you loud and clear and here’s what we’re going to do about it:

Shortly after launch (it might even be at launch, but we’ll see how submission timing and approval goes) we will roll out a small title update that will completely remove the character limitations for offline mode. That is to say, once you’ve updated, you will be able to use all 39 characters when not connected to the Internet to practice your combo timings, have some fun with a friend on a laptop, or whatever while offline.

As one would logically expect, to get any of the benefits of the online services (online multiplayer, replay sharing/watching, achievements, etc.) you must be online and logged in.

With that hurdle hopefully now cleared, I hope that we can make Super Street Fighter IV: Arcade Edition the most successful fighting game ever on PC. I’d certainly like to continue to grow our audience on the largest platform in the world.

View
22 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

22. Re: Super Street Fighter IV: AE DRM Changes Jun 2, 2011, 20:05 ViRGE

I'm glad to see Capcom came to their senses. The fact that this is a title update and not a change to the game ahead of being pressed makes me a bit nervous, but I'll have to see what things are like after the game and title update ship.  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

21. Re: Super Street Fighter IV: AE DRM Changes Jun 2, 2011, 18:55 Theo

Ono is no idiot. GG capcom ;-)

this will be the second platform i buy SF4 for , (and 4th version, SF4 on pc and xbox, SSFIV on xbox and arcade eddtion on pc). (arcade willbe bough as dlc on xbox for SSFIV).

Everyone on Bluesnews is synical, get over it.
edit: i cant spell, this is my disclaimer.

20. Re: Super Street Fighter IV: AE DRM Changes Jun 2, 2011, 16:08 Zyrxil

spindoctor wrote on Jun 2, 2011, 14:27:
ASeven wrote on Jun 2, 2011, 13:54:
On the topic, funny that Capcom, of all publishers, is actually one that listens to PC gamers and actually puts into practice some of its promises.

Isn't it great how PC gamers rewarded Capcom for this by making SF4 one of the highest pirated games of 2009?

You realize # pirated copies is directly related to # of copies sold and popularity overall?

19. Re: Super Street Fighter IV: AE DRM Changes Jun 2, 2011, 15:29 necrosis

This sounds like what CD Projekt did with Witcher 2. DRM was removed from the retail version only a week after launch. Even stating DRM only really protects zero day sales.  

18. Re: Super Street Fighter IV: AE DRM Changes Jun 2, 2011, 14:54 ASeven

Verno wrote on Jun 2, 2011, 14:51:
ASeven wrote on Jun 2, 2011, 14:39:

And according to Capcom itself, sales of SFIV surpassed expectations.

Oh BTw, SFIV was the 5th most pirated game on PC, 1st on consoles. Yeah, PC gamers are such filthy pirates alright.

It was some Call of Duty game IIRC, not SF4. There were also twice as many downloads on PC versus consoles but next gen console market penetration internationally is nowhere near as deep as the potential installed base for PCs that can run the game are.

Ah ok, thought it had been SFIV first and COD second.

17. Re: Super Street Fighter IV: AE DRM Changes Jun 2, 2011, 14:51 Verno

ASeven wrote on Jun 2, 2011, 14:39:

Oh BTw, SFIV was the 5th most pirated game on PC, 1st on consoles. Yeah, PC gamers are such filthy pirates alright.

It was some Call of Duty game IIRC, not SF4. There were also twice as many downloads on PC versus consoles but next gen console market penetration internationally is nowhere near as deep as the potential installed base for PCs that can run the game are.

Playing: Far Cry 4, Prison Architect, DriveClub
Watching: Tusk, The Equalizer, The Homesman

16. Re: Super Street Fighter IV: AE DRM Changes Jun 2, 2011, 14:39 ASeven

Verno wrote on Jun 2, 2011, 14:36:
Isn't it great how PC gamers rewarded Capcom for this by making SF4 one of the highest pirated games of 2009?

It was also the second most pirated console game of 2009.

15. Re: Super Street Fighter IV: AE DRM Changes Jun 2, 2011, 14:36 Verno

It was also the second most pirated console game of 2009.

14. Re: Super Street Fighter IV: AE DRM Changes Jun 2, 2011, 14:27 spindoctor

ASeven wrote on Jun 2, 2011, 13:54:
On the topic, funny that Capcom, of all publishers, is actually one that listens to PC gamers and actually puts into practice some of its promises.

Some of the most miserable and unhappy gamers on the planet are at Bluesnews

13. Re: Super Street Fighter IV: AE DRM Changes Jun 2, 2011, 14:10 ASeven

Ruffiana wrote on Jun 2, 2011, 14:06:
Hyatus wrote on Jun 2, 2011, 13:21:
All in all, this should be a rule. If a loud majority complains about something, the company and more importantly, the shareholders need to listen.

Only after you've verified it does, in fact, represent the majority. Because usually, the people shouting the loudest are a minority. And anyone that tries to pander to the loudest complainers are going to find themselves running in circles trying to appease one small group at the expense of another small group.

You do realize this is largely a fallacy, right? There's no actual proof that those screaming louder are usually a minority, only lots of people saying so. But saying so doesn't make it any truer.

Those screaming the louder cannot be attributed to a minority or majority because there's no real way of knowing other than polling everyone concerned with the subject at hand.

12. Re: Super Street Fighter IV: AE DRM Changes Jun 2, 2011, 14:06 Ruffiana

Hyatus wrote on Jun 2, 2011, 13:21:
All in all, this should be a rule. If a loud majority complains about something, the company and more importantly, the shareholders need to listen.

Only after you've verified it does, in fact, represent the majority. Because usually, the people shouting the loudest are a minority. And anyone that tries to pander to the loudest complainers are going to find themselves running in circles trying to appease one small group at the expense of another small group.

This is one of those cases where it's hard to argue with the logic or come up with a really compelling counter-arguement for long-term DRM having less of an effect on legitimate customers than people who are pirating the game.

11. Re: Super Street Fighter IV: AE DRM Changes Jun 2, 2011, 13:54 ASeven

Verno wrote on Jun 2, 2011, 13:32:
I am glad it has, but does the handful of times this has ever affected something make me an idiot?

I wouldn't say it makes you an idiot but complaining is one of the few ways you can actually get something changed. Regardless the fact the you would admit it puts you above many others around here

This.

On the topic, funny that Capcom, of all publishers, is actually one that listens to PC gamers and actually puts into practice some of its promises. Somehow I now have more respect for Capcom than I ever could for, say, EA, Activision, THQ and let's not talk about Ubisoft.

10. Re: Super Street Fighter IV: AE DRM Changes Jun 2, 2011, 13:48 Creston

Verno wrote on Jun 2, 2011, 13:32:
I am glad it has, but does the handful of times this has ever affected something make me an idiot?

I wouldn't say it makes you an idiot but complaining is one of the few ways you can actually get something changed. Regardless the fact the you would admit it puts you above many others around here

Definitely. I expect the majority of them to stay quiet.

Creston

9. Re: Super Street Fighter IV: AE DRM Changes Jun 2, 2011, 13:38 linfosoma

I just wish they dropped GFWL, not because I dislike the system, but simply because they are not selling games that use it in my region anymore.

Either that, or open up GWFL please. I got SF IV on day one, I would love to get this.

8. Re: Super Street Fighter IV: AE DRM Changes Jun 2, 2011, 13:36 Paketep

Good move there, Capcom. Have a tiny bit of credibility back.  

7. Re: Super Street Fighter IV: AE DRM Changes Jun 2, 2011, 13:32 Verno

Edit: I mean that in a nice way, not a snarky one

This comment was edited on Jun 2, 2011, 14:02.

6. Re: Super Street Fighter IV: AE DRM Changes Jun 2, 2011, 13:21 Hyatus

Creston wrote on Jun 2, 2011, 13:04:
So where are all the idiots that keep bleating how complaining never changes anything? Please makes yourselves heard, fellas.

Creston

I am definitely in the camp that said this wouldn't result in crap done. I am glad it has, but does the handful of times this has ever affected something make me an idiot?

5. Re: Super Street Fighter IV: AE DRM Changes Jun 2, 2011, 13:18 reisub

So single player is now fully playable offline? No activation required? I'm happy with that if so.  

4. Re: Super Street Fighter IV: AE DRM Changes Jun 2, 2011, 13:11 gilly775

Wow, now let's get this put in for Ubisoft games.

/still irate that I couldn't play Silent Hunter V on the flight to Vegas last year....

3. Re: Super Street Fighter IV: AE DRM Changes Jun 2, 2011, 13:04 Creston

So where are all the idiots that keep bleating how complaining never changes anything? Please makes yourselves heard, fellas.

Creston

22 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo